• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Rootbeer

Banned
Has anyone else's "What's New" section been updated at all today? It seems like nothing is showing up under the "What's New" section.

Same here, seems to be related to PSN's shoddy availability since yesterday. They may have disabled it on their end temporarily to free up more overall bandwidth or something?

legacyzero

Banned
So I'm trying to play Blacklight and it tells me I can't sign in. Strange, because I can play Warframe. Warframes controls don't work right on remote play though.

Same here, seems to be related to PSN's shoddy availability since yesterday. They may have disabled it on their end temporarily to free up more overall bandwidth or something?
Ah okay. You might be right.

Also, the Live from Playstation is awesome but I would live some filters. Maybe search only friends? Maybe a notification of when your friend starts streaming?

Rootbeer

Banned
I guess the Sony PULSE headsets will work after a future system update. Just not the plain jane PS3 headset.

I am wondering if they have a new edition of the Pulse headset coming soon as well, paritucarly since they use the language "currently available" when describing the ones that don't work with PS4 yet... it has been over a year since the last model.

MercuryLS

Banned
Anyone else not seeing stuff in the what's new section? Also when I select games from my library is crashes right back to the front screen. If this a PSN thing?

What's new doesn't work for me anymore and I can't see the details page for a game (where you press down on a game and get a bunch of info including friends activity, dlc, etc). Anyone else experience that too?

I've got an issue with Netflix. I'll try to watch Fairytail and it keeps giving me Japanese voices after I change it and quit. I'll fix it, watch the anime and quit. Then it's back to Japanese voices when I turn it on again. I never had this issue on my ps3.

Btw, how is the Crunchyroll app?

unsung0

Neo Member
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before (apologies if it has). I tested my Astro A40's (2013 edition) just plugged right into the bottom of the controller, no mixamp, just the one cable, and it worked pretty good (just stereo sound no dolby 7.1, but still). I even ran a test stream on twitch to see if the mic worked and it did! Pretty nice that I don't have to re-hookup my mixamp everytime I want to go from PC to PS4. So, just a heads up to any other Astro A40 owners out there.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
For the first time since launch, I can now access the PSN Store! YAY! I will celebrate by downloading Resogun!

For those with solid working ps4's how "noisy" is your unit? Do you hear slight rattling? or spinning or whirring or just a soft hum of a fan?
I hear a slight rattling/knocking sound,especially when (what I think is) the fan runs at lower speed. But the unit seems to disspate it's heat well, just had a marathon session without issues I'd love to get other peoples impressions, of those who did not have any issues.

I find the disc drive to be annoyingly loud. Not a big deal for me being I plan to go all digital outside of Killzone (just wanted one game to play on launch night, didn't trust the Sony severs). Out side of that its not to bad. No rocking or rattling on my unit.

Anyone know how/why I can't connect my phone app to PS4?

My phone is set and connected to my PSN account (Phone is Verizon Galaxy S3)
My PS4 is wired directly to my router.
My phone is connected to my home wi-fi (same router PS4 is plugged into)

No matter how many times I refresh the PS4 icon it will not appear on my phone app so I can punch in the code in the add-device menu.

TheExodu5

Banned
Somehow the PS4 seems to use more power (the fans get louder) when on the Friends screen with Assassin's Creed on standby rather than in the game itself.

rjinaz

I've got an issue with Netflix. I'll try to watch Fairytail and it keeps giving me Japanese voices after I change it and quit. I'll fix it, watch the anime and quit. Then it's back to Japanese voices when I turn it on again. I never had this issue on my ps3.

That sounds like a Netflix issue to me. I get screwy happenings all of the time on Netflix. One time the subtitles were from an entirely different show. Really threw me off for a second.

That sounds like a Netflix issue to me. I get screwy happenings all of the time on Netflix. One time the subtitles were from an entirely different show. Really threw me off for a second.

Thanks.

One thing I don't see much celebrating about is the fact we all got so many free games at launch. Besides Contrast and Resogun for Playstation plus subscribers we got DC Universe, Blacklight and Warframe. Combine that with the sales we all enjoyed with a bonus 10 bucks from Sony and we are a bit spoiled.

androvsky

Thanks, saw this link while browsing gaf on the PS4, figured I'd give it a shot. Don't know if it's generally known, but the PSN webstore works in the PS4's browser surprisingly well. :)

The Crunchyroll app is exactly the same as the PS3 one, except it scrolls through lists faster. Haven't managed to crash it yet, so maybe not exactly the same.

Codeblew

Trying to determine how good the wifi receiver is for the system. On my laptop using speedtest.net, I get 30 down and 5 up sitting right by the ps4. When I do the network test on the ps4, it gets about 5 down and 2 up. Are these results consistent with other people? Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with PSN? If it's me, what could I do to get a better speed from my ps4?

I get 52 down and 12 up on PC and 7 down and 2 up on PS4. Maybe PSN limits bandwidth somewhat.

Anyone know how/why I can't connect my phone app to PS4?

My phone is set and connected to my PSN account (Phone is Verizon Galaxy S3)
My PS4 is wired directly to my router.
My phone is connected to my home wi-fi (same router PS4 is plugged into)

No matter how many times I refresh the PS4 icon it will not appear on my phone app so I can punch in the code in the add-device menu.

I had the same issue, but my ps4 was on WiFi. I took my ps4 off of DMZ and it started working. So if you have the ps4 DMZ'ed, turn that off and try again.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Downloaded Flower from PSN, noticed that it was listed 3 times in the "would you like to download Flower now" page and I backed out of it. Resogun worked perfectly, but I went into my library and I saw Flower with an arrow on it (signifying it still needed to be downloaded, I guess) but whenever I clicked on it, it would just take me back to the home page of the UI. I finally somehow got it to work by tapping the home button where it took me to a content page with a download option but it wouldn't show me what it was for. I clicked the download and it said Flower was added to my downloads.

I'm thinking that's a bug.

Just sent the following email to my favorite playstation podcast. Maybe ya'll have some guidance for me.

I'm hoping to give a voice to a problem that I think more PlayStation users have than you might initially think. Here's the problem:

I made a PSN account before I was 18, it's a sub account, you have heard this story before. Can't change my name? Fine, okay. Can't manage my own funds without going through the master account? Okay. All those other dumb restrictions? Fine.

Now I'm being told that on PS4 consoles the share button is virtually useless to sub accounts; we cannot share anything. One of the benchmark features of the next generation of PlayStation is inaccessible to me and that really bums me out.

The solution to this problem is what exactly? Make a new PSN account? I really would like to. Problem is, I'm a Vita user and have been since day one. I want my consoles to work together but that would be at the cost of literally hundreds of dollars in digital PSN purchases. Again, I'm getting really bummed out.

What's the best solution team? Do I bite the bullet and make a new account now or hope that Sony has a way to make my PSN ID a master account at some point in the near future? Just looking for some guidance, I apologize for the exceptionally long email.

Thoughts?

kurbaan

Banned
I've had a 360 for 6 years. I love the PS4 UI and the new PS store.

My only gripe with PSN is that there is no notification when a friend comes online, and you can't see when they were last online. Nothing major, at least for me.

are you sure? I'm pretty sure in the notifications I've seen an option for when friends come online. I'm pretty sure I saw it in some streams too.

Aeroangel

Banned
So far Trine 2 / Demo seems to be the only shining example of how to utilize the touch pad on DS4. Im baffled that it isn't utilized for the OS interface, and so far in most games if it is used it's just some bullshit swiping motion...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just sent the following email to my favorite playstation podcast. Maybe ya'll have some guidance for me.

Thoughts?

Sony recently said you can upgrade a sub account to a master account (as in the feature was added a week or two ago). Not sure how to do that though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ok, I'm not seeing any settings that toggle notifications when a friend comes online.

My nat is closed, maybe it affects me receiving notifications?

Is anyone else just dying to see how the next horror game uses the DS4 speaker? Imagine a game like Amnesia: Dark Descent making use of the controller speaker.

Ah okay. You might be right.

Also, the Live from Playstation is awesome but I would live some filters. Maybe search only friends? Maybe a notification of when your friend starts streaming?

It's incredible. I only wish you could have an option where you could disable if the person is on camera/microphone and just watch pure gameplay.

kurbaan

Banned
If I import knack and Killzone from overseas, will I be able to play it online here, or does it come with a network pass? Thanks.

There are no network passes for PS4 games. You will need to be a PS Plus member though.

Really? That's awesome! I'll take a look in the settings, I must have missed it.

Actually sorry, I just checked again its "Friend Requests". Must have seen friend requests and messages in the streams and confused it for online offline message. Kinda weird for it to be missing since both Vita and PS3 have it.

Although on those I try turn them off (At least on vita)

Replicant

Thanks.

One thing I don't see much celebrating about is the fact we all got so many free games at launch. Besides Contrast and Resogun for Playstation plus subscribers we got DC Universe, Blacklight and Warframe. Combine that with the sales we all enjoyed with a bonus 10 bucks from Sony and we are a bit spoiled.

I got more than that thanks to cross-buying. Free Flower and Sound Shape for me. :D

Downloaded Flower from PSN, noticed that it was listed 3 times in the "would you like to download Flower now" page and I backed out of it. Resogun worked perfectly, but I went into my library and I saw Flower with an arrow on it (signifying it still needed to be downloaded, I guess) but whenever I clicked on it, it would just take me back to the home page of the UI. I finally somehow got it to work by tapping the home button where it took me to a content page with a download option but it wouldn't show me what it was for. I clicked the download and it said Flower was added to my downloads.

I'm thinking that's a bug.
The same is happening with me with Sound Shapes so I'd say it's a PSN bug.

Welp. Loving my PS4 immensely with only one little niggling issue. I downloaded Sound Shapes and Blacklight Retribution yesterday (along with the other Plus bonuses) and neither of these two games are loading.

I know that there was issues with both games whilst downloading and Sound Shapes was listed as corrupted (I guess due to PSN's connection issues). I deleted it and re-downloaded it but no dice. It just sits idle at the title screen. I also deleted Blacklight.

After a bit of thought, I decided that, this early on, i would just bite the bullet and reinitialize my unit. I uploaded all of my current game saves to cloud storage beforehand. Currently waiting for the process to finish. Glad that I did this now after only having it for two days otherwise it would have taken several hours.

I'm loving my PS4 so far, lots of little hiccups but nothing I didn't expect when buying a system at launch. My main problem isn't a problem with the system but with the fact that most of my friends haven't gotten PS4s yet and probably won't be able to until next year...

Top Bottom