• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Heads up for dudes looking for walk ins at gamestop. Looks like all the stores are getting around a dozen plus over the pre orders (we have about 17 not counting the count we had listed for walk ins) and at least our store is staying open till 2.

Also if your gamestop says they're sold out ask them what time they'ok open the next morning. I believe it's 8 so check. You should be able to score one easy if you don't hit up a Wal-Mart.

Also make sure you get there early for walk ins, a few around me said they already know 2 or 3 people that will be there in line around 11AM.

first the thumbsticks now this. sony is losing the best hardware engineer title
I'll be really disappointed if they're all like that...but I have a hard time believing they all are. There's no way that passes certification under scrupulous quality checking like Sony does...no way.

If I'm paying $400 for an electronic device, it should not...wobble.

Reposting my contributions so far:

Antonio Banderas infiltrates the Doritos Vatican and listens to the confessions of the most diehard Xbox fans...

banderas.gif

Moving up through the ranks of the Doritocracy, Banderas has now become an intern at the public relations branch of a lucrative technology firm. But as a foreigner in a foreign land, he must use all of his wits to decipher their language... and stand up for his own beliefs in the process.

banderas2.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'll say it again.

Don't. Buy. A. New. Console. On. Launch Day. Ever.

All those issues will be fixed in the future, just wait you impatient fools.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'll say it again.

*shrugs* I'm comfortable with my track record for buying consoles at launch and how long they each lasted.

So what's the weather looking like for everyone trying to go out and get one?

I just checked here and Thursday night it's supposed to be 38 degrees by 7pm with rain.
Fuck YEAH

Petrie

Banned
I'll say it again.

Normally I'm on board with this, but the PS4 price combined with Amazon hitting it out of the park for deals made me decide to jump in last minute. I'm getting a brand new console, an extra controller, a month of onkline (with free games) and Battlefield 4 and Killzone all for $430 shipped. How could I say no?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Man GAF is getting rough. I'm going to miss you guys as we grow closer to launch period and get some major reveals. At least I'll have my PS4 to keep me entertained.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Normally I'm on board with this, but the PS4 price combined with Amazon hitting it out of the park for deals made me decide to jump in last minute. I'm getting a brand new console, an extra controller, a month of onkline (with free games) and Battlefield 4 and Killzone all for $430 shipped. How could I say no?

And how exactly did you get all of that through sales for 430?

I'll be really disappointed if they're all like that...but I have a hard time believing they all are. There's no way that passes certification under scrupulous quality checking like Sony does...no way.

If I'm paying $400 for an electronic device, it should not...wobble.
When the system heats up I'm sure it'll warm the case to balance it out

I was really tempted to buy a PS4 while on holiday in the USA, the fact it comes out 2 weeks before Europe and is $100+ cheaper was too good to pass up. But it seems ever store I've been into isn't taking preorders. Have they just closed preorders now and keeping whatever stock isn't preorder for the first customers who walk in and ask? Or is it completely sold out country wide?

I'm not too fussed if I can't get one, I've had one preordered in the UK since the day they were available too, it would just be nice to get my hands on it 2 weeks early and at a cheaper price.

I know this, but

0297_wabjo.gif

It's bullshit though, I get anything I want from PC until there's some actual good console exclusives released that can justify me using 500 + a fucking yearly subscription to play their games online.

But I am excited just to see the whole launch of the consoles and if I did have the money to just buy something I wouldn't use for a a while, I would buy a ps4 now just to use the UI and play fifi 2014 lol, but I can't say I'm really feeling like I'm missing out on much, half the fun is watching the GAF drama.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It's bullshit though, I get anything I want from PC until there's some actual good console exclusives released that can justify me using 500 + a fucking yearly subscription to play their games online.
Why are you in this thread then? This is the PS4 launch thread.

Petrie

Banned
And how exactly did you get all of that through sales for 430?

Well I had consoles ordered for friends as well, and Amazon gave me a free game code which I used for Battlefield because of the games bundled with those systems. Then I pre-ordered 4 games for next year, and when I spoke to Amazon, they told me to add 2 additional orders and they'd "promo" them as b2g1, so I grabbed Killzone and a DS4. this doesn't even count the cash-back bonus this month on Amazon with my Chase card either.

This thing is an amazing bargain if you are a CAG like myself.

Has anyone found a vertical stand???! Both BB and GS have preorders for December? and Amazon has nothing

People from UK are selling them on ebat for 37 bucks with free shipping but I dont understand how US has first launch and this isnt available

dezzy8

But I am excited just to see the whole launch of the consoles.

Then you should be happy with your PC and free online. People DO NOT MIND buying a console and having to pay for an online service. Been doing it since XBL launched ten years ago.

Why are you in this thread then? This is the PS4 launch thread.

You posted before my edit. :(

I'm certainly getting a ps4 sometime down the line, and I just like to see how it all plays out.

and I thought I was in the Dead Rising thread, just a random outburst against that fucking gif

Petrie

Banned
Then you should be happy with your PC and free online. People DO NOT MIND buying a console and having to pay for an online service. Been doing it since XBL launched ten years ago.

I don't mind because I get a game library to go with it. The online is just an extra bonus. My Xbox Live gold lapses in a week. Couldn't be more perfect.

I seriously doubt launch problems are going to be significant enough that waiting was the better choice. Online having growing pains is the most I can see happening, consoles failing or OS problems...not worried.

So I played a demo unit at GameStop today and walked away very dissapointed. I know the game selection isn't exactly full of graphical power houses, but I atleast expected the menu text on knack to look crisp. Anyone else have this experience? Is there something about the demo units that would explain this ie bad screen?
Side note knack was a lot of fun, glad I picked it up the other day.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jack Tretton is 'excited' to talk about sales next week:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation...ny-predicts-big-numbers-for-the-PlayStation-4

The Japanese company was responding to a report from analyst Colin Sebastian, who predicted the new console would get off to a strong start. "We’re very comfortable with [the 3 million figure]," Jack Tretton, president and chief executive officer of Sony's American computer entertainment division, told Bloomberg this week. "I’m excited about next week to be able to talk about what was sold as opposed to what we may sell.”

Been a while, eh Jack? ;)

KAL2006

Banned
I just realized, when you get a PS4, you can do a lot without purchasing another game

- Free Stuff
The Playroom
$10 Credit
1 Month PSN+
1 Month Music Unlimited

- Instant Game Collection
Don't Starve
Binding of Isaac
Secret Poncho's
Outlast
Contrast
Res0gun
Driveclub PS+ Edition

- Free To Play
DC Universe Online
Deep Down
Planetside 2
Doki Doki Universe
Blacklight Retribution
Warframe
War Thunder

- Cross Buy
Escape Plan
Flower
Flow
Sound Shapes

I seriously doubt launch problems are going to be significant enough that waiting was the better choice. Online having growing pains is the most I can see happening, consoles failing or OS problems...not worried.

But what if I told you, that there's a chance to get a pink PS4 if you wait a little?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just realized, when you get a PS4, you can do a lot without purchasing another game

- Free Stuff
The Playroom
$10 Credit
1 Month PSN+
1 Month Music Unlimited

- Instant Game Collection
Don't Starve
Binding of Isaac
Secret Poncho's
Outlast
Contrast
Res0gun
Driveclub PS+ Edition

- Free To Play
DC Universe Online
Deep Down
Planetside 2
Doki Doki Universe
Blacklight Retribution
Warframe
War Thunder

- Cross Buy
Escape Plan
Flower
Flow
Sound Shapes

You get all of that at the start with the PS+ trial? Wat

Strider

Has anyone found a vertical stand???! Both BB and GS have preorders for December? and Amazon has nothing

People from UK are selling them on ebat for 37 bucks with free shipping but I dont understand how US has first launch and this isnt available

There are a few people that have posted pics of them in the November pick up thread.It's the Rocketfish stand though and not the official one, but it should work without problems.

I'll say it again.

?
Your choice.
I've enjoyed every launch day thank you. 360 was my only console to have issues and that was 2 years down the road.
No fun indeed.

Top Bottom