• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

DXPett1

Can't wait to get mine shipped from Amazon on Saturday (Aussie here).

Eagerly looking forwarded to Killzone:SF and Knack but I'm trying to hold out on purchasing them with Xmas just around the corner.

Free Driveclub and demo's will tide me over until then

Cmagus

Dunno if this has been posted here I looked back a few pages and didn't see it but here is an interview with Yoshida done by IGN. Dude seems like such an awesome person and really down to earth. Talks about PS4 stuff, Wii U and launch.

IGN Yoshida Interview

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Can't wait to get mine shipped from Amazon on Saturday (Aussie here).

Eagerly looking forwarded to Killzone:SF and Knack but I'm trying to hold out on purchasing them with Xmas just around the corner.

Free Driveclub and demo's will tide me over until then

I've got some bad news.

Driveclub has been delayed. It was announce to be delayed until Q1 2014 about a month ago.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can't wait...

Taco Bell PS4 is due to arrive tomorrow, and my last classes for the week conclude at 12:15. I'll have Knack, Killzone, Battlefield, and Ghost Doges at the ready.

Think it's a pretty positive sign that Killzone: Shadowfall is the top game on Amazon right now. Should end up selling around 500k this year if Sony's 3 million PS4's sold prediction is accurate.

valeo

This may be a stupid question but I've heard some say that the PS4 has been pushed back to February 2014 in Australia..? I don't think it's true but my mate swears his order got pushed back.

Since when has Sony been good at interface design? Most of their sites and web apps are awful and this app is basically just a wrapper.
I agree, this is just not filling me with confidence that they will be taking online/social more seriously this time around. The Xbox's companion app destroys this.

viveks86

BY1GWgECUAEhA6q.jpg:large

Whoa!!! Nice!
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/statuses/400053294451552256

Must be all the glowing DS4's ;)

bob page

I agree, this is just not filling me with confidence that they will be taking online/social more seriously this time around. The Xbox's companion app destroys this.
Definitely. At least the PS4 UI looks pretty solid. I guess that's all that matters, especially after how awful the Vita UI design was.

Definitely. At least the PS4 UI looks pretty solid. I guess that's all that matters, especially after how awful the Vita UI design was.
It's amazing to me that none of the PS4 design language has been translated into this app. Also, the Store link bounces you out of the app and to a browser site? LOL

This may be a stupid question but I've heard some say that the PS4 has been pushed back to February 2014 in Australia..? I don't think it's true but my mate swears his order got pushed back.

Is he looking at his order on the EB website? Even though I've been guaranteed a launch day model the item sitting in every order on the website will say 'Early 2014 Shipment'.

valeo

'That's all that matters'..?

What?

I'm seriously considering PS4 after being a 360 kid last gen, but their lack of focus on any kind of decent multiplayer infrastructure is kind of concerning.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

What?

I'm seriously considering PS4 after being a 360 kid last gen, but their lack of focus on any kind of decent multiplayer infrastructure is kind of concerning.

Who says they haven't focused on that with the PS4? Everything they've shown so far for online social gaming and multiplayer sounds really good.

bob page

What?

Was strictly referring to their UI offerings.

Besides, pretty much every online and social aspect of the PS4 is a colossal improvement over the PS3.

Who says they haven't focused on that with the PS4? Everything they've shown so far for online social gaming and multiplayer sounds really good.
Well they have to step up their game now they're charging for multiplayer. I think they will close the gap this gen but MS will still have the edge when it comes to online. Although the streaming stuff has the potential to be huge with that community. Gonna be interesting.

We're looking at this with the same eyes.

PS3 quality isn't going to cut it. Not anymore. Doubly especially so now that Sony decided that charging for multiplayer is a great idea.

Sony has a lot of Xbox 360 owners looking to be impressed, or at the very least put at ease. The ball is in their court.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Well they have to step up their game now they're charging for multiplayer. I think they will close the gap this gen but MS will still have the edge when it comes to online. Although the streaming stuff has the potential to be huge with that community. Gonna be interesting.

I think whatever edge Microsoft ends up having (if at all) will be down to personal preference rather than a complete lack of crucial features like what happened with the PS3/360. Vita's OS is already much better than any console in many respects.

Things get cut to make launch. The app isn't fully fleshed out, there's no suspend/resume yet.

I think it's pretty apparent that Sony prioritized things that will immediately matter to most folks - party chat, invites, etc.

Stuff like MP3 compatibility and a better app can come later. I'm not worried.

A few weeks ago my hype had died down quite a bit. Right now it's pretty sky high, though. I'm pleasantly surprised, I don't get that "kid at Christmas morning" feel very often these days.

The app is basic but seems to work.

Not much to do with it yet, but I already like the trophy rarity. Bragging rights is one thing but its nifty to get a snapshot of how the overall community has played these games.

Got my copy of Killzone in the mail today! felt like a little kid all over again I was so freakin excited :p wonder what i'll feel like when I actually get the console!

Doombear

This may be a silly question, but does the PS App simply not work if you are using WiFi? I had to disable wi-fi and turn on 4G as it kept telling me that network was turned off and wouldn't show me anything.

DoctorZ

I'm surprised that app actually works. Sort of dumb that the store takes you to a web browser, but at least you can mange friends, messages and such on there. Better than the nothing Sony had before.

Top Bottom