• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

People avoiding launch because of "average" reviews on a few games seems so lame. You let some reviews with differing opinions change your mind so quick?

a24e.png

No air holes poked in the box for shipment? Pretty fucked up.

Knack should have never been approved as a launch title. I tend to agree with the sentiment that Puppeteer should have been the PS4 launch platformer/action title. And if Guerilla ever makes another first person shooter it should not carry the Killzone name. I'm getting the impression that the Killzone IP is working against them more than for them.

Doran902

cancelled knack and killzone pre orders and picked up black flag and battlefield at walmart

knack because of poor reviews and killzone because i have never enjoyed a killzone game and was just buying it for graphics

still super pumped for launch, i think resogun, battlefield mp and assassins creed should be a good time

People avoiding launch because of "average" reviews on a few games seems so lame. You let some reviews with differing opinions change your mind so quick?
Well for people who don't consider $400 a drop in the bucket and who are now seeing that there isn't a single must-have game in the line-up, and also that very few really give off a true next-gen vibe (obvious technical wow factor over current-gen), it's totally understandable why they'd choose to wait. Almost every review of the platform today advises to wait before diving in. The only reason I'm getting one day one is because I'm an incurable early adopter and I gotta have that new car smell. But I don't seriously expect there to be anything I'm really excited to play for at least a few months.

Well for people who don't consider $400 a drop in the bucket and who are now seeing that there isn't a single must-have game in the line-up, and also that very few really give off a true next-gen vibe (obvious technical wow factor over current-gen), it's totally understandable why they'd choose to wait. Almost every review of the platform today advises to wait before diving in. The only reason I'm getting one day one is because I'm an incurable early adopter and I gotta have that new car smell. But I don't seriously expect there to be anything I'm really excited to play for at least a few months.
You getting an Xbone too?

Derrick01

Banned
I don't blame anyone for choosing to wait as the launch lineups are pretty weak, as is tradition basically. But at least with PS4 you've got some stuff coming in the next few months and likely superior 3rd party multiplats. With Xbox unless you have to have titanfall on there and not the 2 other platforms you're not left with much for the foreseeable future. I don't think any of their other announced exclusives have hard dates yet.

Pachimari

no sort options :/

bFL0RHn.jpg

Oh man, so I can't create folders and sort my games into "Free to play", "Demos" etc? =;(

I'm getting Fifa 14 and Killzone: Shadow Fall for launch, maybe Call of Duty: Ghosts; it just looks real fun to me. I'll wish for either Knack or NBA 2K14 for Christmas I think, and then InFamous awaits in February.

Yellow J

Neo Member
I did the PS3 to PS4 for battlefield and it's taking an ass load of time to install. Hours.......But you can play the campaign while the full game installs so that's nice. Looks and plays wayyyyyyy better than PS3. For the transfer you only get one shot. If you don't do it you will never get another chance to transfer your stats. I think that sucks but at least they spell it out for you. Getting black flag, rivals and killzone from amazon tomorrow.

On another note I was unable to log into PSN with about thirty tries. I initialized the system using the quick initialize and it worked the first time after that. Thought I would put that out there just in case anyone has the same issue.

I think it's gonna be murder on Friday and I believe PSN will be drug to its knees.

All in all I love the system so far. Enjoy everyone. PSN J-Mellow

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Honestly outside of Forza 5 the same is true about XBONE. DR3 and Ryse are going to be obliterated in reviews.

So basically each system has an exclusive or two that sort of kind of sells the system and then some cross gen multi-plats that are anywhere from way better looking to almost the same as current gen.

Kind of funny really. I would almost say this is the coolest new hardware we've seen at a new generation and at the same time the worst lineups. Each system should have really launched Q2'14.

Darksol

I'm confused about what's going on here. People are telling him to download the 900mb update not the 300mb update. When I downloaded 1.5 from the Sony site earlier today I got a 300mb file, when I tried it again just now I got a 900mb file. Why are they different?

900MB is full OS, 300MB is firmware update only.

Grinchy

Banned
I think the guy said he unplugged the system while it was updating or something. Why would someone do something like that?

edit- but LOL at the people in his chat room trolling him

Mrbob

Depends on what you are looking for. This live twitch streaming is a game changer for sports leagues. Finally there is now an easy way for all people in leagues to watch big games. Having this accessible to everyone at no extra cost/time isn't something which is possible on PS3/360. Looks so easy to start a PS4 twitch stream.

Easily my favorite aspect of next gen, well above everything else.

FPS is the biggest genre nowadays. I'll always consider it bad advice from anyone who suggests not to jump into next gen when BF4 is a massive jump over current gen. If you are into shooty shoot bang games the BF4 upgrade is worth the price of admission.

Why are none of the Twitch streams HD?

And is it possible to stream when playing online matches in Fifa 14?

the highest stream is 720p. by default it auto sets the best quality based on your connection which is why some stream appear clear while others are medium quality.

This is a good point. The only game I'm picking up day one is ACIV, which is a cross-gen game in a franchise that has grown a little too long in the tooth. I'm looking forward to it since it's gotten positive reviews, but it's not something the screams must have next-gen killer app.

For me I'm buying a PS4 day one just to avoid the hassle of potential post-launch console shortages. I'm buying a PS4 primarily because of Sony's first-party stuff (namely Naughty Dog), the cheaper price, better specs and their embrace of indie devs.

IMO, most of the good stuff isn't coming out until next year, so there's no harm in waiting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Here's a Resogun video I uploaded to facebook to give you an idea on quality. It ain't pretty. When viewed on the console it's very clearly only 30fps, but the compression isn't so bad.
http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/18971995/file.html

Code:
Format                         : MPEG-4
Format profile                 : Facebook
Codec ID                       : FACE
File size                      : 11.5 MiB
Duration                       : 36s 60ms
Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
Overall bit rate               : 2 666 Kbps
Encoded date                   : UTC 2013-11-14 00:54:59
Tagged date                    : UTC 2013-11-14 00:54:59

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 4 frames
Codec ID                       : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                       : 36s 35ms
Bit rate                       : 2 500 Kbps
Maximum bit rate               : 4 709 Kbps
Width                          : 1 280 pixels
Height                         : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.091
Stream size                    : 10.8 MiB (94%)
Writing library                : x264 core 116
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=30 / keyint_min=16 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=3000 / vbv_bufsize=12500 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : AAC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                 : LC
Codec ID                       : 40
Duration                       : 36s 60ms
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Bit rate                       : 150 Kbps
Maximum bit rate               : 171 Kbps
Channel(s)                     : 2 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L R
Sampling rate                  : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode               : Lossy
Stream size                    : 658 KiB (6%)
Title                          : /tmp/534544493287431_audio.aac - Imported with GPAC 0.4.6-DEV-rev3544

macewank

Here's a Resogun video I uploaded to facebook to give you an idea on quality. It ain't pretty. When viewed on the console it's very clearly only 30fps, but the compression isn't so bad.

30fps? game is supposed to be locked at 60. was something messed up?

edit: nevermind. you're talking about the video I assume?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
That makes sense, but I'm trying to figure out why I got two different versions from clicking on the same link.

There's two pages on how to update using a PC. The software update page links to the 300MB update:

Update using a computer

For the standard update procedure, follow the steps below. Visit here for the procedure to initialize your PS4™ system and perform a new installation of the system software, such as for when you replace the hard disk drive.

The following things are needed to perform the update:
  • PlayStation®4 system
  • Computer connected to the Internet
  • USB storage device, such as a USB flash drive
  • * There must be 400 MB of free space.

While the PC update link at the top of the software update page takes you to a page that links to the 800MB recovery file and has instructions for a full OS install (without wiping the HDD).

Perform a new installation of the system software

This procedure is for initializing your PS4™ system and performing a new installation of the system software, such as for when you replace the hard disk drive.

Be careful when using an update file for reinstallation. All users and all data will be deleted.

The following things are needed to perform the update:
  • PlayStation®4 system
  • Computer connected to the Internet
  • USB storage device, such as a USB flash drive
  • * There must be 1 GB of free space.

DogMeat77

That PS4 fix live stream is painful. I feel dumber for watching for 5 minutes,

CS: "Hold down the power button until you hear 2 beeps".
Streamer: ::1 beep, takes off finger:: Ok.
Repeats same process 2 or 3 times

plasmasd

This stream is painful. Want to scream at him to pull the plug to turn the console off.

Seems he can't follow instructions at all anyway.

This is agony and that's without even looking at the chat which is a total shitshow.

Grinchy

Banned

The guy is seriously a moron. I've been pretty mesmerized by the stream.

Iacobellis

Paid off the system at GameStop today, and now I'm debating whether I should attend the midnight launch or pick it up on Friday afternoon.

You think GameStop will have small goodies to giveaway tomorrow night?

What's with the steps back with the UI?

No "SUBJECT" in messaging
No dedicated game tab?
No way to make folders?
And for me, no little video playing on the game tile when you select it :(

Top Bottom