• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

i don't normally ride the hysteria, but i'm kinda scared to update my ps4 when i get it now :'(

2000 PS4s sent out by Taco Bell, and let's say there's 100 given to Journos in total.

That's 2100 units, and assuming a failure rate of 3%, is 63 busted units, give or take. That's manufacturing defects, not including that moron in the other topic who bricked his PS4 (possibly intentionally). IGN is reporting on 4. It's a non-story. If it explodes and ends up being higher than 3% at launch, it'll be obvious with how many units are going out, but with how long they've been manufacturing them and in such numbers, I can't possibly imagine that they haven't been QA'd well enough that 10-20% would fail within a day.

Don't worry.

2000 PS4s sent out by Taco Bell, and let's say there's 100 given to Journos in total.

That's 2100 units, and assuming a failure rate of 3%, is 63 busted units, give or take. That's manufacturing defects, not including that moron in the other topic who bricked his PS4 (possibly intentionally). IGN is reporting on 4. It's a non-story. If it explodes and ends up being higher than 3% at launch, it'll be obvious, with how many units are going out, but with how long they've been manufacturing them and in such numbers, I can't possibly imagine that they haven't been QA'd well enough that 10-20% would fail within a day.

Don't worry.

this actually made me feel a lot better, thank you :'')

Timu

That's 2100 units, and assuming a failure rate of 3%, is 63 busted units, give or take. That's manufacturing defects, not including that moron in the other topic who bricked his PS4 (possibly intentionally). IGN is reporting on 4. It's a non-story. If it explodes and ends up being higher than 3% at launch, it'll be obvious with how many units are going out, but with how long they've been manufacturing them and in such numbers, I can't possibly imagine that they haven't been QA'd well enough that 10-20% would fail within a day.

Don't worry.
Great point you have there, but I'll still wait for impressions from others before installing the update.

this actually made me feel a lot better, thank you :'')

Right? And what with this being a huge big ticket tech item, if your PS4 did break, you would imagine a high percentage of those people would hit twitter/messageboards to mention that their PS4 bricked itself prior to launch. Even if that percentage of people who DID have them brick (at 3%) and ran to the internet was 20%, removing press, that means we'd still have 10 people on the internet complaining about busted PS4s.

Sure the numbers are all guesses, but I think it's a fair illumination for people to not freak out. At least not yet. If launch comes and everybodys talking about busted PS4s, that's something else, but even then you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Say they sell 1 million in the first week in NA. With a 3% failure rate, that's still 3000 people with busted PS4s, who, depending how social networky/upset they are, could make it seem like a pandemic. Honestly it feels like everyone is so terrified of another Red Ring that we immediately start flipping our shit at the mention of any hardware failure. PS3 was fine, 360 revisions were all fine, Wii and WiiU were fine, Vita and both 3ds' were fine, 2ds is fine so far.

But it's hard to forget your early 360 that died, particularly if you're like me and it was multiple ones.

$h@d0w

so polygon reviewed the ps4 - what the fuck is the point of giving hardware and user experience a numbered score?

this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen

Don't worry.

yea I'm having a really hard time buying that Sony got everything else right with launch but completely rushed through the QA phase.

Eggbok

hehe
ibyHtF54PFrvgq.gif

How does bf4 look on ps4? framerate? details? been waiting for ps4 bf4 reviews...
Mind blowing. Just watched my friend play through fishing in Baku. Couldn't tell the difference from the PC footage they should a while ago(obviously it look better cause it was in person on 60inch plasma).

Framerate seem to rarely ever drop. I may notice one drop from 60fps. Shit was constantly blowing up all over the place with multiple objects reacting with physics and it didn't seem to have an effect on the framerate.

I will say that certain aspects did seem to be higher quality in KZ:SF. Mainly the models and buildings. Especially the NPC models though.

Tabris

I'm debating whether I should get a PS4 or not at launch. I won't be getting any games for at least 6 months (nothing in launch window I want unless Gaikai BC is released) but my new gadgetitist is in full force. The only thing that is keeping me from going ahead is:

1) How long will I need to wait in line Thursday night (midnight launch here)

2) Should I wait for the white variant? (Did NA ever get a white PS3 before slim version?)

MilkBeard

Right? And what with this being a huge big ticket tech item, if your PS4 did break, you would imagine a high percentage of those people would hit twitter/messageboards to mention that their PS4 bricked itself prior to launch. Even if that percentage of people who DID have them brick (at 3%) and ran to the internet was 20%, removing press, that means we'd still have 10 people on the internet complaining about busted PS4s.

Sure the numbers are all guesses, but I think it's a fair illumination for people to not freak out. At least not yet. If launch comes and everybodys talking about busted PS4s, that's something else, but even then you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Say they sell 1 million in the first week in NA. With a 3% failure rate, that's still 3000 people with busted PS4s, who, depending how social networky/upset they are, could make it seem like a pandemic. Honestly it feels like everyone is so terrified of another Red Ring that we immediately start flipping our shit at the mention of any hardware failure. PS3 was fine, 360 revisions were all fine, Wii and WiiU were fine, Vita and both 3ds' were fine, 2ds is fine so far.

But it's hard to forget your early 360 that died, particularly if you're like me and it was multiple ones.

Yeah, those people who get bricked/defected consoles tend to be very vocal. There was a big commotion for the WiiU as well but I really don't think it was that widespread of a problem, just that those who had the issue were making a lot of noise.

I have a WiiU and it hard locked a few times in the first week, but after like the second update it was good. Not sure what the actual count was for how many consoles that were bricked (as in, completely done for).

Yeah, those people who get bricked/defected consoles tend to be very vocal. There was a big commotion for the WiiU as well but I really don't think it was that widespread of a problem, just that those who had the issue were making a lot of noise.

I have a WiiU and it hard locked a few times in the first week, but after like the second update it was good. Not sure what the actual count was for how many consoles that were bricked (as in, completely done for).

Probably 3-5%. I remember when Microsoft was trying to lowball the red ring, they kept saying that the failure rate was 3% which was an industry standard.

Eggbok

Can anyone help me with what I need to bypass the hdcp for ps4? I plan on getting an elgato or something but what type of spliters would I need?

so polygon reviewed the ps4 - what the fuck is the point of giving hardware and user experience a numbered score?

this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen

They only did it so they could give the Xbox 1 a 9 next week. They don't even have 1 yet but all day on their live stream they talked about it.... how the ps4 isn't as good as the Xbox 1

This guy is showing a lot of UI stuff through a capture card. The store seems fast as hell.

http://www.twitch.tv/sanctuarycrew

It really is, I don't even have that great of a wifi connection for what its worth, but the store is infinity faster than browsing on ps3 so far.UI is also pretty nice, although there are some forced apps on video tab that clutter up the selection a little, considering I only use hulu and crunchyroll I really don't care for the fact that I have a bunch of sports related shit clogging up the tab, but I guess its not a big deal.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Supports the PS4 Browser Videos from the Southpark Studios website? It would be so great to be finally able to watch the Videos from this website on TV

Mind blowing. Just watched my friend play through fishing in Baku. Couldn't tell the difference from the PC footage they should a while ago(obviously it look better cause it was in person on 60inch plasma).

Framerate seem to rarely ever drop. I may notice one drop from 60fps. Shit was constantly blowing up all over the place with multiple objects reacting with physics and it didn't seem to have an effect on the framerate.

I will say that certain aspects did seem to be higher quality in KZ:SF. Mainly the models and buildings. Especially the NPC models though.

Thanks for the impressions its going to be a tough choice between killzone and bf4 on friday...

You gotta get both. There very different. Totally different styles(graphically) and gameplay. Room for both in your library for sure.

Sadly it will only be one launch game for me money doesn't grow on tree's(well not mine anyway) and i think i'll probably just stick with one FPS. Multiplayer is most important for me so I think i might get bf4 and pickup Killzone on sale down the road.

kyser73

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Persona7

Banned
Was that rumor about audio being downgraded while going through the controller headphone port ever cleared up? I remember hearing about that months ago.

Rey

Yeeeeeeeesss...

Will there be a seperate BF4 OT for next gen consoles/PS4?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Can anyone help me with what I need to bypass the hdcp for ps4? I plan on getting an elgato or something but what type of spliters would I need?
The same thing you need to copy any HDCP signal. Just order an HDMI splitter from Mono price that has HDCP stripping and you're good to go.

Edit: He said the wobble is complete bullshit
We've already known that since the whole thing started. The system only "wobbles" when you push on it. Just sitting there operating on its own it is completely sturdy and stable. You have to make it "wobble". It doesn't do it on its own.

Top Bottom