• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

BZC-6M5CIAABQjP.jpg:large

Oh, way to rub in the 2 week wait we now have to endure, Sony.

Well, I'm in line guys. Best Buy has the lines split in two, one side for people with pre-orders one for the ones who didn't. There is 5 or 6 people in the non pre-order line. But so far I'm the only one in the pre-order line.
About 12 hours to go.

HeelPower

AC4 seems pretty, and quite chewy if you haven't played it on current gen. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I picked it up on Tuesday. If you want a shooter, you almost have to get Killzone!

so I was thinking I want something with a lot of replay value and multiplayer(?)...I haven't played shooters in years actually...Is killzone the definitive FPS over Ghosts and BF4 ?

AC4 will probably have the best single player content.Does it have good multiplayer ?

Cygan

Neo Member
I just checked outside my local Gamestop, there were 5 guys sitting in chairs. This was around noon in New Jersey.

zysnSzS.jpg

Gaz_RB

so I was thinking I want something with a lot of replay value and multiplayer(?)...I haven't played shooters in years actually...Is killzone the definitive FPS over Ghosts and BF4 ?

AC4 will probably have the best single player content.Does it have good multiplayer ?

Yeah, I'm betting on AC4 as my singleplayer game. AC4's multiplayer is actually pretty fun/unique. At least for a few weeks, I'd check out some youtube footage or something. It's not really something you play for a long time though, imo. If you really want to dive into a shooter's multiplayer, I'd actually say go with BF4. Massive battles, big community. It's really a toss up between that and Killzone(I just got both). It depends whether you want futuristic or modern day shooting, really. BF4 also has a bigger playercount. I'd avoid Ghosts (I played it on PC).

I have played BF4 on PC, so I do know that you're pretty much guaranteed to have really fun and meaty multiplayer if you go with that. KZ multiplayer looks pretty fun though.

Not sure if someone posted it before, but Engadget gave it good review:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/14/sony-playstation-4-review/

I liked the video, thanks

tookhster

I still can't decide whether or not I should get the Playstation Camera.
I don't want to be a Twitch celebrity or anything but it seems like it makes the PS4 more complete. On the other hand, I can use the same amount of money to buy another game or controller.

Are there any other pros for owning the camera?

spwolf

I don't want to be a Twitch celebrity or anything but it seems like it makes the PS4 more complete. On the other hand, I can use the same amount of money to buy another game or controller.

unless you Twitch, i guess not? I guess party video chat is possible or something? $60 for cool playroom demo?

Otherwise, 2nd DS4 IMHO is much better choice.

tookhster

unless you Twitch, i guess not? I guess party video chat is possible or something? $60 for cool playroom demo?

Otherwise, 2nd DS4 IMHO is much better choice.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Can you still Twitch without the camera as in like just showing gameplay? And is there a way to record those twitches for personal use?

Samus4145

Has it been mentioned yet, but my copies of BF4 and ACIV box art have different sizes for the PS4 logo section (front and spine). Not even talking about a little off too. Going to drive me crazy staring at the collection on the shelf.

Sitting next to a sign that says PS4 midnight release, I've had three people come up and ask me what I'm waiting for. I've been here less than an hour.

BFIB

I have my PS4 coming from Amazon, but there's a small part of me that regrets not doing the waiting game at a store.

Had some great memories for the Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox 360 launches.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member

Based on what I heard Killzone is not as quite as linear in the level design for the SP campaign as opposed to Call of Duty or BF4. A reviewer mentioned how in Killzone some areas were open to where you could plan and decide your approach while the other two are more guiding you.

As far as multiplayer it is easier to break it down this way in thinking. If your prefer smaller scale battles in a more traditional sense then Ghosts and Killzone are up your alley with different game modes. Each has their own variation on load-outs and unlocking them.

The thing to keep in mind about BF4 especially the next gen versions is console players are finally going to be in large scale multiplayer games like on a PC. Up to about 64 players total along with a variety of vehicles to use in the maps to help traverse / fight in the maps. Also has progressive unlocks like the other two.

AC4 has been getting good reviews on the current gen consoles and people say they like it more than 3. Some say the single player campaign is kinda meh but it also has a plethora of side content to dig into and explore along with enhancements for next gen consoles.

Multiplayer for it is pretty much hunting / hiding from the other team and you earn levels that gradually unlock abilities / upgrades. You can also customize and tweak the assassins in muliplayer cosmetically.

Gaz_RB is right though shooter pretty much your best bet is either BF4 or Killzone. Should be some videos on youtube of the PS4 version of BF4 to give you an idea and possibly twitch streams of Killzone.

Bradach

Move compatibility. Media molecules ps4 game will support it but beyond that they haven't announced any more support. After KZ3's move support it's a real pity KZ:SF doesn't support it

HeelPower

Yeah, I'm betting on AC4 as my singleplayer game. AC4's multiplayer is actually pretty fun/unique. At least for a few weeks, I'd check out some youtube footage or something. It's not really something you play for a long time though, imo. If you really want to dive into a shooter's multiplayer, I'd actually say go with BF4. Massive battles, big community. It's really a toss up between that and Killzone(I just got both). It depends whether you want futuristic or modern day shooting, really. BF4 also has a bigger playercount. I'd avoid Ghosts (I played it on PC).

I have played BF4 on PC, so I do know that you're pretty much guaranteed to have really fun and meaty multiplayer if you go with that. KZ multiplayer looks pretty fun though.

Based on what I heard Killzone is not as quite as linear in the level design for the SP campaign as opposed to Call of Duty or BF4. A reviewer mentioned how in Killzone some areas were open to where you could plan and decide your approach while the other two are more guiding you.

As far as multiplayer it is easier to break it down this way in thinking. If your prefer smaller scale battles in a more traditional sense then Ghosts and Killzone are up your alley with different game modes. Each has their own variation on load-outs and unlocking them.

The thing to keep in mind about BF4 especially the next gen versions is console players are finally going to be in large scale multiplayer games like on a PC. Up to about 64 players total along with a variety of vehicles to use in the maps to help traverse / fight in the maps. Also has progressive unlocks like the other two.

AC4 has been getting good reviews on the current gen consoles and people say they like it more than 3. Some say the single player campaign is kinda meh but it also has a plethora of side content to dig into and explore along with enhancements for next gen consoles.

Multiplayer for it is pretty much hunting / hiding the other team and you earn levels that gradually unlock abilities / upgrades. You can also customize and tweak the assassins in muliplayer cosmetically.

Thanks guys.I'll keep this in mind when I am buying my launch game!

Has it been mentioned yet, but my copies of BF4 and ACIV box art have different sizes for the PS4 logo section (front and spine). Not even talking about a little off too. Going to drive me crazy staring at the collection on the shelf.

I noticed this too as soon as I got em.

People are already lining up for preorders? Can I ask why?

Yeah, I don't get why you would wait in line for 12 hours if you have a preorder. I plan on going to my Best Buy tonight around 10 minutes before midnight since I have a preorder. I could see people wanting to get in line somewhat early to hang out with people in line, but 12 hours? That's some dedication. Maybe I just think it's crazy because I'm in Wisconsin and the weather this week has been pretty damn cold at night.

Gaz_RB

Gonna pay my preorder at 6 then head back to campus because I have a test at 7 :( after that I'm heading straight for Gamestop

Fiveshift

Neo Member
So I was a lucky winner of the Taco Bell PS4 and this is just a quick run down of my first experience with it and some of the games.

The PS4 looks good in person and really is the same size and weight of a ps3 slim. The deal with the wobble is that it just sits on a tripod of rubber feet that is not to the edge on one side. Basically is you push down on the glossy side from the top it will wobble. I really don't think it's a big deal personally since I'm putting it on the shelf and not touching it besides changing discs.

The UI is really smooth and well designed. Had no problem finding something I needed even though it was all completely new to me.

Games:

Killzone: Shadow Fall - The graphics as expected are amazing. I played through the first three chapters last night and the story intrigues me. The gunplay feels solid and the levels usually allow multiple tactical options and strategies. I should also mention I am new to the series so I didn't have any basis of expectations. I may also need to rely on this for my FPS multi-player for now because ...

Battlefield 4 - DICE FIX YOUR SHIT!!! I wasn't really able to play this much because with few of us having PS4's the servers were empty. I did jump into a couple empty ones though to see the maps but this game is buggy. I hope they release a patch for this before launch tonight. I would spawn into game invisible except for the gun. Sound effects drop out all the time, even by myself in a server the net code seems screwed up just from driving around. I will try again tomorrow when people are playing but this may need to simmer for a month or 2. I say this as someone who put in 450 hrs on BF3 on PS3. Extremely Disappointed.

Resogun - AMAZING! Period. My buddies and I played the crap out of this last night. I am hosting a launch party at my house tomorrow and we planned to all play BF4 but I think this one will be the most played instead.

Also have Knack and AC4 but didn't get a chance to play.

Top Bottom