• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

lxaff79.jpg

isitmidnightyet

Edit: My Gamestop had 11 extras, my friend was 8th in line at 6pm to buy. Success.

mr2t

Banned
I said damn when I got a peak at the massive stack of PS4s in the back room of the Gamestop.

Also not surprised a guy wearing a fedora and a japanese shirt was at the front of the line.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im gonna be waiting forever for my Amazon shipment tomorrow. Just got my games, guy said it was his last package for the day. Oh lord.

Kolgar

Just went to Best Buy to release my unneeded pre-order of BF4 and saw the lines forming.

Yes, it's nice to know I get to stay inside tonight and pick up my PS4 at UPS tomorrow morning, but a part of me feels a tinge of regret for not taking part in the madness tonight.

Sorry, BB. Amazon bought me with that free game this week.

viveks86

How big is football (or soccer) in America now? I doubted it would catch on because Americans like huge scores in games.

VG Chartz says 10% of global sales. Not that big, I guess.

However, I know a couple of Americans who keep wondering why cricket has huge scores compared to baseball. So I don't think that should matter. :D

So I ordered Knack, Killzone and Need for Speed from the Amazon B2G1 on Tues. Today Killzone and Knack came in, and my PS4 finally shipped. So my PS4 should get here Monday. Nice, should be a good time next week.

I was so excited about getting a PS3 on launch day, and It just didn't happen...

This time, I pre-ordered right after E3. Paid it off in September, and bought the extra controller and games this month. I'm number 12 in my gamestop. There was a line of about 30 at my gamestop, and there were about 7 consoles available for walk ins. Manager confirmed that they had almost triple the pre-orders fpr PS4 compared to Xbox one. Although it's because microsoft is sending them a small allocation to begin with.

Two guys behind me flat out admitted to switching to playstation because they wanted to play the next gen call of duty as soon as possible. For some people, playing COD is that important lol.

And for kicks I stopped by my walmart, the same one I got my Wii u at launch. There were two people at that launch, me and some lady who was getting it for her kid. Tonight for PS4? There's a line stretching down electronics into the grocery department, 40 people or so.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
PS4 FIFA have that 11 on 11 online mode? I know GAF's had some leagues for this. Might be interesting.

Razma1

anyone know of a store that will be selling them in the morning? I know Costco is a good shot but I don't have a card there. Scrapped money together now but already had to step out on preorder.

viveks86

10% of the huge sales FIFA gets in quite significant ... And where have you been hiding?

Yeah in raw numbers it definitely is quite significant. I just meant relative to Europe, which is ~ 65% of global sales.

Just been trying to get all my work out of the way so that I can take Friday off! :)

Cloudy

Banned
Heads up, folks. I was just at BB and they were handing out tickets as of 8:30. They had over 100 consoles looking at the stack of tickets

Mik317

Ah the best part of getting new stuff has set in...

the second guessing period.

I mean, 2K is missing features, I'm not super big into shooters and yet I got Killzone, Gonna pick up two games that I technically could have had on my PS3 in Marvel and Fifa (and NFS maybe) tommorow, and of course my pesimism hits with...what if my system is faulty?

shit.

No turning back now lol.

It always have the "you were going to buy one eventually shut up". That allows me to buy a lot of stuff I probably don't need

Strider

I've yet to see any kind of video of the party chat in action. It's like a voice chat and a text chat room at the same time isn't it?

Nightz

Anyone know what time Best Buy is opening in the morning tomorrow? Not talking about midnight, but the regular opening. Are they opening earlier tomorrow? I know they opened at 8 am for the iPad Air launch.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Amazon cashing in more ... With fire

PlayStation 4 and Kindle Fire HDX 7" Bundle
Start Playing with Fire
For a limited time, we are offering an exclusive Amazon bundle of the PlayStation 4 and Kindle Fire HDX 7" for $599.99.
The PlayStation 4 Greatness has arrived. This is the place for gamers with connected gaming, powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization, deeply integrated social capabilities, and innovative second-screen features.

While the PS4 heralds in the next generation of consoles, Kindle Fire HDX does the same for tablets with improved visuals, a faster processor, and the revolutionary 'Mayday' button.

Partner these together with the interactive Second Screen feature for a completely immersive entertainment experience.

I've got to wait 2 weeks for my European one to arrive but I did manage to find a Target that had a demo unit. Knack was quite enjoyable and quirky little game, the reviews had made me regret my purchase but I'm not as disappointed after playing it.

The controller was perfect, Indented joysticks was a much improvement. Picked on up as the US has them for about £20 cheaper than the UK.

Now I can pretend to play my 3 games with my PS4 controller while I wait for my actual device to arrive.

SHADES

I'd just like to say " To all about to pick up their PS4's shortly, may you be blessed with awesomeness, no HW issues & enjoy the start of next gen as one is supposed to, BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY!" ;-)

Watching with baited breath, Europe.

GREATNESS IS UPON YOU ALL!

Cheech

It's just weird to see FIFA doing so well in America.

Two reasons.

1. It's the best sports game on the market. I know some will argue, but overall, it is for many reasons.

2. Soccer is huge amongst kids. This generation of American kids are playing it substantially more than previously. Travel soccer is extremely competitive.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah in raw numbers it definitely is quite significant. I just meant relative to Europe, which is ~ 65% of global sales.

Just been trying to get all my work out of the way so that I can take Friday off! :)

Will you be one of the fortunate or did you just want to watch the show?

How big is football (or soccer) in America now? I doubted it would catch on because Americans like huge scores in games.

There's so much more about it we don't like. Flopping for instance, is just despicable.

Personally, I love soccer. Supporter of my hometown Philadlphia Union, and of Arsenal FC ever since I was introduced by an italian friend to the sport.

Also, it's just not on TV enough.

DoctorZ

Got my receipt, #4. Showed up at 5pm. There are about 6 non preorder campers. The manager game them the ok to stay since they will have extra, they'll just have to wait until all the preorders are done at midnight, or probably 1am, and then they can buy one. One person showed up pretty recently, maybe 4pm and apparently he's getting one according to the manager here.

satori

Just got to bestbuy with my bro. They have 77 units for non preorder. My bro is the 30th person in line. Looks like he can get one. Lol so far having fun playing soul sacrifice with a few people. Crowd so far been chill as hell. And it's about 70 degrees. Nice night lol.

Strider

Two reasons. 2. Soccer is huge amongst kids. This generation of American kids are playing it substantially more than previously. Travel soccer is extremely competitive.

Pretty much this. A lot of people don't realize just how big soccer is now with kids. Every article I've read on the topic recently has basketball and soccer having far more youth sign ups than any of the other sports.

It's so different from when I grew up... None of my friends played soccer. It was Football, Basketball, Baseball and that was it.

Persona7

Banned
Anybody know how many units your stores are getting? I remember that GAF thread about a store getting 300 units. I thought that was ridiculous.

The gamestop near me got under 25 units.

Got my receipt, #4. Showed up at 5pm. There are about 6 non preorder campers. The manager game them the ok to stay since they will have extra, they'll just have to wait until all the preorders are done at midnight, or probably 1am, and then they can buy one. One person showed up pretty recently, maybe 4pm and apparently he's getting one according to the manager here.

I wish mine did that. Instead they let everyone who DIDNT have a preorder go to the front of the line first.

Did anybody that's been to GameStop get asked about a warranty? I'd consider getting one if it wasn't too much money, but I have a limit of about $40 on a warranty. I don't mind being safe, but I rarely ever actually use one so I'm curious if they are offering and for how much.

$29.99 for a year at the Gamespot I went to.

Two reasons.

1. It's the best sports game on the market. I know some will argue, but overall, it is for many reasons.

2. Soccer is huge amongst kids. This generation of American kids are playing it substantially more than previously. Travel soccer is extremely competitive.

It's arguable, but it's definitely a fantastic game. I could never play PES after Fifa. I learned so much about the game through playing the game.

Top Bottom