• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Garland7G

Check it out guys, Amazon are getting more PS4's tonigt at 12 AM EST
4le0.jpg

Ha, love how they tried to sneak in their kindle...

txag2005

Banned
I'm #35 for picking up my PS4 at midnight. I have BF4, ACIV, Fifa 14 and Killzone sitting on my table waiting to be played.

I'm 30 years old, this is my first ever console launch (I've always gotten my consoles a year or two in) and I'm as excited as 6 year old me waiting to open my gifts on Christmas morning. The icing on the cake is that I finally had my neogaf account approved earlier this week. Perfect timing!

Happy launch night everybody!

ReBurn

Gold Member
There are times to throw off all cryptic pretence. Now seems like one of those. I don't need to hide from the ninjas for this.

Next gen is here. The next wave of gamers gets to experience what is now my fifth launch.

To all the people lining up in the cold, you are why this industry still survives. To those waiting anxiously for the chance to pick up a console tonight, counting their place in the line, bless you. To those madly hitting f5 on every thread for the news, this is your night. Even should you have decided to buy an X1 instead, tonight is for all of you too and the journey will continue next week.

Devs have madly been toiling not just on trying to make sense of barren launch environments but to try and start the revolution toward something better. Some will do better than others, but the journey has begun.They strive to keep healthy the medium we all love.

Sometimes the suits won't hear the message and try to change the landscape on our behalf. But in the end we still have control over the direction of this ship. Never believe that good enough is good enough.

Demand better.

Same say this is the last console gen. To quote a favourite, if this is going to be our end, I would have us make such an end, to be worthy of remembrance.

And should we win the day, the PS4 launch will no longer be known as a North American launch day, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Next Generation Launch Day!

I'm #35 for picking up my PS4 at midnight. I have BF4, ACIV, Fifa 14 and Killzone sitting on my table waiting to be played.

I'm 30 years old, this is my first ever console launch (I've always gotten my consoles a year or two in) and I'm as excited as 6 year old me waiting to open my gifts on Christmas morning. The icing on the cake is that I finally had my neogaf account approved earlier this week. Perfect timing!

Happy gaming, pardner.

Check it out guys, Amazon are getting more PS4's tonigt at 12 AM EST
4le0.jpg

I wonder if there's something more going on between Amazon and Sony than meets the eye. Amazon certainly seems to be pushing the PS4 really hard and getting its storefront an approved channel for PS4 digital distribution was a fairly big surprise. Piggybacking its latest content conduit onto one of the biggest product launches of the year is pretty clever, and something they likely needed Sony to sign off on.

Darksol

CanadaGAF here. Outside a Gamestop in London, ON. 20 or so here. Couple of dudebros, a few of us with Vitas out (I've got Corpse Party going at the moment, I see other people playing Metal Gear, FF8, and Persona 4).

Cold as balls, but we're all pretty laid back. Resisting the urge to snap at the idiot who keeps saying MS has "more megapixels, and a better pixel resolution buffer" (wtf).

CanadaGAF here. Outside a Gamestop in London, ON. 20 or so here. Couple of dudebros, a few of us with Vitas out (I've got Corpse Party going at the moment, I see other people playing Metal Gear, FF8, and Persona 4).

Cold as balls, but we're all pretty laid back. Resisting the urge to snap at the idiot who keeps saying MS has "more megapixels, and a better pixel resolution buffer" (wtf).

But does it have a flux capacitor?

There are times to throw off all cryptic pretence. Now seems like one of those. I don't need to hide from the ninjas for this.

Next gen is here. The next wave of gamers gets to experience what is now my fifth launch.

To all the people lining up in the cold, you are why this industry still survives. To those waiting anxiously for the chance to pick up a console tonight, counting their place in the line, bless you. To those madly hitting f5 on every thread for the news, this is your night. Even should you have decided to buy an X1 instead, tonight is for all of you too and the journey will continue next week.

Devs have madly been toiling not just on trying to make sense of barren launch environments but to try and start the revolution toward something better. Some will do better than others, but the journey has begun.They strive to keep healthy the medium we all love.

Sometimes the suits won't hear the message and try to change the landscape on our behalf. But in the end we still have control over the direction of this ship. Never believe that good enough is good enough.

Demand better.

Same say this is the last console gen. To quote a favourite, if this is going to be our end, I would have us make such an end, to be worthy of remembrance.
This is why I GAF.

Thanks for your service, Gopher.

Dude, awesome! I'm in London too. I'm at home though, not out there tonight. Which location are you at? It's cold outside, hope you're stayin' warm.

Acageron

Just got my ticket number from standing in my best buy's line. Guaranteed PS4 tonight!

Haven't been this excited in a while :)

Demand better.

Tonight is one for the memories!

Darksol

Dude, awesome! I'm in London too. I'm at home though, not out there tonight. Which location are you at? It's cold outside, hope you're stayin' warm.

The one on Wellington/Commissioners. I'm set. Near the front, platinum edge card, everything paid off months ago :)

I didn't know there were other London GAFers.

Carl

3:30am. Had 4 hours sleep, just woke up ready for the All Access stream. To all the people lining up without a preorder: GOOD LUCK <3

Nice, I'm 30 as well. I picked up a PS2 on day one, but this is my first midnight release. I'm wired on coffee to the point of feeling uncomfortable.

The event is in 20 minutes right? I'm so tired but I'm going to try to stay up. When I wake up the PS4 should arrive soon after if UPS sticks to the normal 11AM delivery time. So excited!

It really doesn't feel like next gen starts tonight. My Gamestop is dead. I expected a huge line lol
You live in a big city? Mine is coming from amazon but I drove by a gamestop on the way home from grabbing a smoothie and the line had around 30, 40 people milling about.

Ripclawe

Banned
about 70 people hoping to get a system and so far 20 of us who preordered..... and one loud person yapping about the greatest of the dreamcast . kid you not.

The_Afroman

Demand better.

tumblr_mtifv63dLx1qb457xo1_400.gif

Beautiful

Demand better.

Beautiful!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
about 70 people hoping to get a system and so far 20 of us who preordered..... and one loud person yapping about the greatest of the dreamcast . kid you not.

Deadmeat lives!!!

Demand better.

Dude that's some inspiring stuff!

You live in a big city? Mine is coming from amazon but I drove by a gamestop on the way home from grabbing a smoothie and the line had around 30, 40 people milling about.

No, my town is pretty small. But still, more people showed up for GTAV. I've seen maybe 25 people come and get their line number.

USC-fan

Banned
Is there any point to getting the camera if I don't plan to life stream? /socialanxiety

I wouldnt get it unless you just looking to spend money.

Playroom looks like a cool tech demo and can only be played with the camera. But that is about the only games beside just dance that uses it.

I'm torn, help me out GAF:

Long story short, I picked up 3 games at Target because I had a feeling the 30% off + buy two get one deal wouldn't last long (looks like I chose wisely). They didn't have much in stock, so I find myself with both Killzone and Battlefield. I really do not want to split my time between two FPS's. On the one hand, Killzone is shiny and beautiful. On the other hand, it seems (emphasis on seems because I've never played either a KZ or BF game) that BF4 will have the more robust, longer lasting multiplayer experience.

Thoughts?

Need input!

Demand better.

Thank you!

Jetku

Paid off my ps4 and picked up a year ps+ card at GameStop earlier. I was just looking at my receipt and there was a code for $10 PSN credit printed since I purchased the year of ps+! Glad I looked!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks Gopher I hope you heartily enjoy this new generation of consoles as well. I can't wait to be amazed over and over again like I have been with this now previous generation. I've been a gamer all my life my dad kick started me with this awesome hobby way back on the C64 Biker Dave was my first game. I knew from the moment I started playing that gaming is something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

I've been thoroughly entertained year after year ever since. Sure there have been some rough spots, sure there have been some colossal failures, bad games, the near collapse of the entire industry but in the end it's all about fun and being impressed over and over again. I feel like this new console generation will most certainly make it's mark. When I hear devs speak about not yet knowing what to do with all the powah they have it makes me feel like that giddy little 5 year old jumping through hoops of fire with the biker named Dave.

I'm thrilled to still be able to enjoy this awesome hobby of mine and can't wait to see how this new console generation will impress me.

Cheers and Happy Launch everyone. (Sorry European friends)

kgrock618

So, I plan on replacing my hard drive so I have to download the update to my PC. From the sony website it is downloading stupidly slow. 5kB/s...It is 890MB. Any trusted alternative websites I can download it from?

iamvin22

Industry Verified

Demand better.

slow-clap-gif.gif

Top Bottom