• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
To those lamenting the hype of long lines and people waiting 72 hours, this is really the first generation launch where pre-orders were huge. Last gen almost all way early pre-orders were bundles, and in many cases 3rd party accessory bundles including a bunch of junk people didn't want. Short of grabbing some cheap 3rd party accessories that you didn't want you had to go to the store at launch.

Trust me... We'll see the sales numbers here.. These will be incredible numbers, and they'll all be put up by UPS and FedEx delivering to porches or customers strolling into Gamestops and Best Buys tomorrow leisurely picking up their preorders.

Is it epic to think back to those lines? Well I was second in line for the PS2 18 hours before it went on sale eventually reaching around 200 people deep... Yeah, it was awesome. But here you have GAF, Twitter, Facebook, Vine, PSN, Instagram, etc all blowing up. Still way cool, just different.

Here's my Gamestop (sorry about the potato):
AA1a2eH.jpg

There are times to throw off all cryptic pretence. Now seems like one of those. I don't need to hide from the ninjas for this.

Next gen is here. The next wave of gamers gets to experience what is now my fifth launch.

To all the people lining up in the cold, you are why this industry still survives. To those waiting anxiously for the chance to pick up a console tonight, counting their place in the line, bless you. To those madly hitting f5 on every thread for the news, this is your night. Even should you have decided to buy an X1 instead, tonight is for all of you too and the journey will continue next week.

Devs have madly been toiling not just on trying to make sense of barren launch environments but to try and start the revolution toward something better. Some will do better than others, but the journey has begun.They strive to keep healthy the medium we all love.

Sometimes the suits won't hear the message and try to change the landscape on our behalf. But in the end we still have control over the direction of this ship. Never believe that good enough is good enough.

Demand better.

Same say this is the last console gen. To quote a favourite, if this is going to be our end, I would have us make such an end, to be worthy of remembrance.

tumblr_mt80mvKYGn1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Here's my Gamestop:

Wow are you kidding me? Mine was packed at 6pm when I did my receipt exchange.

calder

Picked up BF4 and AC4 today at Best Buy to go with the copy of Killzone I already have. This Best Buy is the only place in town I know of that's doing a midnight launch, and they have 100 unreserved PS4s. About 40 people in line in the cool, rainy weather tonight at about 6pm. It's warmer than usual for this time of year so I'm sure they aren't complaining about some near freezing temps.

I will be heading back around 11 to wait in line for my preorder, pretty excited.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Here's my Gamestop (sorry about the potato):
All Gamestops are "dead". I got to mine at 6:48 and it was empty and I asked "no one lined up?" And they said they had about 20 people and got them all processed. I was #12 for preorders. I asked if they had to turn anyone away and they said they didn't have to turn anyone in the line away but shortly after a few more came in the store they were out.

Anyway, I'm guessing it will be much busier at midnight, though it won't matter. We have two lines at checkout. Preorders and no preorder.

Is there any point to getting the camera if I don't plan to life stream? /socialanxiety
Are you going to regret spending the money instead of something else? There really isn't a down side to getting it if you can afford it. Only upsides (room wide mic, camera for streaming, Move for PlayRoom, etc)

jstripes

Banned
Putting my PS4 controller to good use while I wait for my console.

5JLW48N.jpg

How did you calibrate that properly? I tried Fez with mine, and the viewpoint keeps scrolling because it thinks the view is controlled by the triggers and I don't know what the fuck.

(MacBook Pro too.)

There are times to throw off all cryptic pretence. Now seems like one of those. I don't need to hide from the ninjas for this.

Next gen is here. The next wave of gamers gets to experience what is now my fifth launch.

To all the people lining up in the cold, you are why this industry still survives. To those waiting anxiously for the chance to pick up a console tonight, counting their place in the line, bless you. To those madly hitting f5 on every thread for the news, this is your night. Even should you have decided to buy an X1 instead, tonight is for all of you too and the journey will continue next week.

Devs have madly been toiling not just on trying to make sense of barren launch environments but to try and start the revolution toward something better. Some will do better than others, but the journey has begun.They strive to keep healthy the medium we all love.

Sometimes the suits won't hear the message and try to change the landscape on our behalf. But in the end we still have control over the direction of this ship. Never believe that good enough is good enough.

Demand better.

Same say this is the last console gen. To quote a favourite, if this is going to be our end, I would have us make such an end, to be worthy of remembrance.
iPduJckm258Lm.jpg

DC1

Looking forward to Killzone, Knack, Warframe, BF4 and Contrast. In that order.

- I'm just typing to keep my hands from fidgeting.
- I'm just setting to keep myself from pacing.
- Leaving the house at 11:30 to pick up PS4.

Once home:
Step 1 = Insert HDMI like thread through a pin hole needle
Step 2 = Take a sip of coffee
Step 3 = Turn on the PS3 and envelop my self in the OS
Step 4 = Game nonstop for many hours or until my spanking new controller hits the floor ..waking me up in the process.

So so hyped!

AmyS

Called GameStop, they said best time for me to arrive would be 11:50 ~ 11:55 based on where I am in line to actually pick up my PS4.

Chicago area, far northern suburbs.

I cannot fucking believe my luck. Never pre-ordered, was only the 2nd person to try to get a PS4 first come first serve. Taking a cab there and back to be on the safe side.

Question, should I get Need For Speed Rivals, or save my money to get an OLED WiFi Vita? GS has them for $199 but I remember some posts from a few days ago that Radioshack (online or physical store, I don't remember) has them for like $160.

decisions, decisions....

Either way, Greatness fucking AWAITS[/b]

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Lady at gamestop is warning everyone not to connect the PS4 to the Internet until tomorow because you will brick your console.

Trying to sell warranties?

rCIZZLE

Ended up showing up at best buy 5 minutes before they handed out tickets and got the last one. Won't get to play it until Sunday but it's awesome not worrying about getting one later.

How did you calibrate that properly? I tried Fez with mine, and the viewpoint keeps scrolling because it thinks the view is controlled by the triggers and I don't know what the fuck.

(MacBook Pro too.)

Have you got yours connected via Bluetooth or USB?

Once I'd connected it, I loaded up steam big picture mode, went to settings, controller and then assigned the buttons to the PS4 controller. I've only had one issue and that is if i put the controller down for longer than a minute, it doesn't respond after than unless I reboot fez. I'm trying to try using a different cable but my Steam no longer wants to boot Fez at all.

Liberty4all

Banned
My pal works at Sony Canada. Apparently they only have 600 units not preorders for ALL of Canada. US got the lions share of walk in units.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Im watching the Rev3 games stream right now and I'm blown away at how skinny Ryan O'Donnell is

His voice sounded familiar but I didn't even recognize the guy

1256192698_9307728ed0.jpg

Ripclawe

Banned
BB wasn't madness but at least 200 at around midnight, took about 5 mins to pick up the system and I left. all in all a nice experience. time to hook mah new baby up!

Demand better.

n9jyEm9.gif

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Resogun is fun. Though I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing when it says "Keepers Detected" or whatever. Losing humans and not sure how I'm supposed to save them.

PS4 UI kind of sucks. The webpage manual for Resogun and presumably other games is just atrocious. And it does drop frames and feel a little crusty here and there.

So uhh, downloading "Warframe" I don't even really know what this game is. Haven't paid any attention.. but it said "Free". Now my PS4 seems to be frozen at 7% of 'Downloading updates". WTF. Shit.........

Top Bottom