• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Neolith

This may sound dumb but I can use regular headphones via the controller right? Do I need my tv volume to be on to hear sound ?

Megasoum

Banned
Remember at the PS3 launch when people complained that Sony didn't include an HDMI cable? Now we may wish they hadn't.

Meh, it may be nothing, picture will come into focus in the coming days. In the meantime I will definitely be pulling a known HDMI cable from one of my other consoles for PS4.

Just make sure to look at the HDMI port to make sure it looks all right before plugging anything in it and you'll be fine.

For what its worth, I've been working with PS4 for almost 6 months and never had one unit with a problematic HDMI cable or port.

SRTtoZ

Working! Installing update! Looks so slick! Picked up Knack at the launch because I couldnt resist, so that puts my total games at 5, the most ive ever purchased during a launch.

Also, using wifi in my house right now with VERY solid DL speeds.

Oh lastly, ive held off on holding the controller til I got one and oh god, its amazing. It feels so different compared to the DS3 but so much better.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Resogun is fun. Though I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing when it says "Keepers Detected" or whatever. Losing humans and not sure how I'm supposed to save them.

PS4 UI kind of sucks. The webpage manual for Resogun and presumably other games is just atrocious. And it does drop frames and feel a little crusty here and there.

So uhh, downloading "Warframe" I don't even really know what this game is. Haven't paid any attention.. but it said "Free". Now my PS4 seems to be frozen at 7% of 'Downloading updates". WTF. Shit.........

After watching the One Man Human Centipede last night I went straight to Sony phone support and they sorted me out, aside from a little confusion with the serial number (he didn't believe me when I told him my PS4 serial started with "MB" rather than "MU") and what number certain options are on the Safe Mode screen. After "Rebuild Database" a second try at downloading the Warframe update completed without incident. Nice guy, clear English, tried to sell me an extended warranty, I'll think about it. But generally a pretty good experience with Sony support.

I had an issue with my launch PS3 and they were kind of a nightmare to deal with back then.

Replicant

I can't believe you guys download the new firmware straight from the console. I'd never have the guts to do that even on PS3.

Always download the firmware first on your computer then use USB to upgrade the console.

USC-fan

Banned
I can't believe you guys download the new firmware straight from the console. I'd never have the guts to do that even on PS3.

Always download the firmware first on your computer then use USB to upgrade the console.

Glad i got my around 6 today. Updated in about 5 mins.

I assume hard lining to the modem wouldn't do anything? damn if so.

At please wait, Heard a small beeb like it wanted to sign in, However still at PS.

Magnus

I'm getting network connection errors every time I try to sign into ps4. Was flawless earlier for the update to 1.5 and everything.

:(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
PSN is melting and GAF is alive? What is this strange world I'm in?

Either my ethernet connection is messed up (maybe I had to do some special settings for PS3 that I can't remember) or PSN is buckling. I was able to download and install the update, so I didn't end up needing the USB backup plan, but I've been trying to sign into the PSN for about 10 minutes with it just spinning not timing out.

Anyone else?

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm logged in but on my ps4 it says "Sony Entertainment Network is currently undergoing maintenance." When I go to Whats new.

hoserx

I got to my local wal mart at 1:15pm. I was the only person there until 3:30pm. Lol. needless to say, I have a PS4, didn't preorder.......... but waited a long time :p Having a hard time connecting to PSN right now.

FWIW someone just said on Twitter that the problem is the cheap-ass HDMI cables Sony packed in are bending the pins on the PS4's port. I'm gonna use my own cable to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and switched my cables. I'm definitely not taking that chance.

Top Bottom