• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

sajj316

I like how everyone is assuming these are issues thanks to some bullshit anecdotal evidence.

My Sony provided cable worked fine, and I downloaded the update just fine. Wanna know why? I plugged it in gently, and I waited PATIENTLY for the system to download, reboot, install, etc.

Oh stop it .. can't fault anyone here getting a brand spanking new PS4 for being extremely careful, cautious, and prepared.

Yes, I will plug in carefully and wait patiently ..

Eric_S

What was that, 0.4% ? Ie one in 250 having to deal with pcd (premature console death).

Not much, but still very noticeable.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I like how everyone is assuming these are issues thanks to some bullshit anecdotal evidence.

My Sony provided cable worked fine, and I downloaded the update just fine. Wanna know why? I plugged it in gently, and I waited PATIENTLY for the system to download, reboot, install, etc.
Youdontsay.gif

Stop.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, seems like it's running on gaf servers. What's new section wasn't working for me when I stopped playing KZSF.

ptuck874

this and the update took less than like 90 seconds to download, i think sony got the download servers up to snuff now :)

PrimeRib_

Been trying to login to PSN for the better half of the last hour - no dice. Keeps timing out with network errors. The system asks you to login for damn near everything, which makes the setup (and my launch experience) a very frustrating one.

bob page

It's just something I heard and there may be nothing to it but considering how easy it is to just swap in another cable it can't hurt.
I'm the one who sent you that tweet- saw it on Kotaku initially. If it is an issue with the pack in cable, it sounds like a very small amount. Or possibly user error (jamming it into the socket)? I think everyone is still making assumptions at this point.

Still, definitely doesn't hurt to use your own cable if you have one.

Magnus

PSN errors for me too.

Killzone is impressive looking for the most part, but both the rain in the first chapter, and the animations of the main character you interact, look like complete dogshit. What's up with all the unsynched mouth animations too? Lol

SeanR1221

Hm, battlefield had an update. I had to close the application to apply it. Weird, not used to that.

I couldn't find the progress of the update anywhere either.

pargonta

this does illuminate how many things on the system are built around psn most every tab wants you to sign in.

it's only awkward because i kinda want to sync my account before i do anything else.

by the by my gamestop midnight release went smoothly in durham nc. 2 lines of 20 each.

I'm the one who sent you that tweet- saw it on Kotaku initially. If it is an issue with the pack in cable, it sounds like a very small amount. Or possibly user error (jamming it into the socket)? I think everyone is still making assumptions at this point.
Whenever tech has problems I think you can easily dismiss at least 50% of instances as people being stupid. Just look at Taco Bell brickstream guy, a non-stop comedy of errors on his part. Also witness people setting up their PS4 on shag carpet etc.

Just got back from Best Buy, and I'm super jealous of the guys who got the PS4 sackpack. I'll be looking for one once they show up on eBay or Amazon.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OK so I ruled out any issues on my network end by switching from ethernet to wifi. So I guess the PSN is just getting smashed right now.

I was hoping to play Resogun for a while but I guess KZ:SF will be my first PS4 game since it's the only physical game I have for now.

I really dig the new controller. I decided not to test it out at a demo station and instead rely on GAF to assure me that it felt awesome and boy does it. Just fits. Best Playstation controller yet for sure. Gonna take some getting used to with R2 being 'done' for the keyboard though I kept closing out of typing when trying to put in uppercase letters lol.

I had Aroldis Chapman test the wobble :)
vfA7m1M.jpg

ps. Moto X camera is awful.

UF_C

Banned
Question...I used the $10 code that comes with the ps4. I tried then getting the 30 days PSN and it told me the code wasn't valid. While I haven't tried the sony music code, can you only use 1 of the 3 offers that come with the system and once you choose the other 2 become invalid?

Kusagari

Well I'm probably going to have no games until next week because Amazon shipped my fucking B2G1 with fucking LaserShip and it "mysteriously" missed its expected date.

Aeroangel

Banned
So it's gorgeous, snappy, and I love the new controller.

However... why can't I used the web browser without signing in to PSN? I thought that was Xbox crap, and PSN was only required for online gaming?

Oh and errors for logging in I guess PSN is full =[

Edit: I had PSN and PS+ confused - thanks guys =] I still would like to see what the browser is like without logging in /rabble

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Question...I used the $10 code that comes with the ps4. I tried then getting the 30 days PSN and it told me the code wasn't valid. While I haven't tried the sony music code, can you only use 1 of the 3 offers that come with the system and once you choose the other 2 become invalid?

Are you already a ps+ member? They don't stack.

Guymelef

However... why can't I used the web browser without signing in to PSN? I thought that was Xbox crap, and PSN was only required for online gaming?

PSN =/= PS+

TheExodu5

Banned
Great...looks like the PS4 doesn't play nice with my TV (Sony KDL-32EX400 [1080p]). The UI is extremely pixelated.

I've encountered this issue before with my PC if I set the NVidia output to anything but desktop.

And no, this is not an HDMI issue.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

you seem to be confusing psn for ps+. You need to be logged in to the internet to use any internet features, but you don't have to pay an additional fee unless it's for multiplayer. Right now PSN is down which makes you not be logged into the internet, but that's to be expected for the first 3 days or so.

It's just something I heard and there may be nothing to it but considering how easy it is to just swap in another cable it can't hurt.

Yep. I just watched the Kotaku video as well and it seems like it may just be a good idea to make sure the HDMI plugs in flush with the back of the unit. I'll probably be SOL on being able to check that before buying it though. :/

Top Bottom