• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Astro Bot is Around 12 to 15 Hours and Will Feature an Overhauled Game Engine

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Team Asobi wanted a sequel with a constant tempo instead of just stretching out the game. Apparently, the team never aimed for the game to be 20+ hours. Instead, they opted for a game length of around 12 to 15 hours. Many players consider this as the sweet spot for platform titles in this day and age.

Compared to the 2020 PS5 launch title, Astro Bot will feature an overhauled game engine, resulting in additional physics as well as improved visuals. In addition, for this sequel, Asobi formed an internal 'DualSense 2.0' team consisting of three to four people in order to think out new ideas on how to use the PS5 DualSense controller.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That sounds perfect. Short enough that it’ll be fun to replay a few times, but still plenty long for a platformer.

For anyone wondering, that’s about the same length as Mario Odyssey.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
That sounds perfect. Short enough that it’ll be fun to replay a few times, but still plenty long for a platformer.

For anyone wondering, that’s about the same length as Mario Odyssey.
Yep, Odyssey main campaign is about 12 hours but it does feature loads of side contents. I hope this is the case here as well.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I'm really looking forward to this!

Excited Great Job GIF by Sesame Street

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
My daughter is currently at 250 hours for Astros playroom. Challenge accepted.

This game is going to be awesome.
My two sons combined play time for Astros Playroom is 634 hours. Lol. Fuckin insane.

They’re so excited about this game.

Same with my daughter. Not quite that many hours(she's almost 6), but she went from being afraid to fight other robots to being a little terror to them in the beach level lol. She's very excited.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Imagine it'll be more for 100%, but either way that sounds perfect.

In a year where I've really not cared about playing new games for once, this is still #1 on my radar.

I love Astrobot, and glad the team are not padding it out if they feel it works best as a shorter game, but fuck, as much as I want to support them, the game costs $59.99 and $69.99 so I was expecting considerably more than 12 hours gameplay. Hope Sony's greed with the pricing doesn't affect review scores, I doubt Team Asobi had any say in the RRP.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Is that to get the 100% or just complete it? Either way that's a good length.

Doing everything in Playroom didn't tack on a bunch of time to my initial playthrough so if the design is similar, that 12-15 hour range would fall in line to completing the game/doing everything.

Aenima

that’s about 7 full recharge cycles of the controller.
You joke but depending how old is the controller and if this game drains the battery as fast as Astro Playroom, you might actually be acurate. My most used launch controller when from lasting 8h to lasting 3 hours, all in the space of 1 week, its like the battery just said, i give up its time to die. Already ordered a new battery for 10$, cuz the controller despite its age still dont has drift and works great.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Lol how are they able to play that long!?

Are they just constantly doing the time trials?!

Lol. It is her first videogame. She explores the world, beats the levels... and I might have contributed to 40 of those hours getting the platinum. Kid's and their imagination opens up all kinds of things when the world plays with them back.

I did that constantly as a kid. From Mario 64 to maps in half life. No different here.

bender

What time is it?
I’ve got 39hrs on Astro’s Playroom and that’s meant to be a short 3 hour game.

Are you just replaying the game?

I played through Playroom and did everything and I had a really good time. I love how it is a virtual museum to Playstation's hardware history. But I really had no urge to return to the game once I collected everything. I booted up the game again after the announcement of the sequel and bounced off pretty quickly. This isn't a knock on Astrobot but the move set is pretty basic and the level design is pretty straightforward which doesn't give me the yearning to replay. I guess that's my biggest fear about the sequel. I know playing through it once will be divine and I'll have a stupid grin on my face for the Ico, SOTC and Bloodborne homages, but I'm curious if they are going to expand the move set or level design/objectives to encourage replay.

bitbydeath

Are you just replaying the game?

I played through Playroom and did everything and I had a really good time. I love how it is a virtual museum to Playstation's hardware history. But I really had no urge to return to the game once I collected everything. I booted up the game again after the announcement of the sequel and bounced off pretty quickly. This isn't a knock on Astrobot but the move set is pretty basic and the level design is pretty straightforward which doesn't give me the yearning to replay. I guess that's my biggest fear about the sequel. I know playing through it once will be divine and I'll have a stupid grin on my face for the Ico, SOTC and Bloodborne homages, but I'm curious if they are going to expand the move set or level design/objectives to encourage replay.
I replayed it again when the new content arrived earlier this year.

Markio128

Gold Member
I reckon it’ll take twice that time to find all of the collectibles, and complete the optional challenge levels (so I believe). Perfection. I’m gagging for this game tbh.

I never liked the trend of games shouting about being 100s of hours long.
I don't have 100s of hours to play video games and if I did, I would want to spend it all on one game.

This is the perfect length for a game like this.

nial

In addition, for this sequel, Asobi formed an internal 'DualSense 2.0' team consisting of three to four people in order to think out new ideas on how to use the PS5 DualSense controller.
This must be one of the little R&D teams they talked about a while ago. These guys are single-handedly showing everyone of what the DualSense is truly capable of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom