• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Absolutely Rocks, Says No Man’s Sky Developer

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm more interested in the PSVR 2 improvements from the Pro. It already looks amazing on PSVR 2.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do here. My guess is that most games on PSVR2 with Pro will be 120 fps. That's going to give you your greatest return on investment. The combination of what you can do with PSSR and foveated rendering could be insane...

A game from 2016 is going to run amazingly! WOW!

How can people lap this slop up hahaha.

It's a forever game, you know that, but you want to focus on the age for some reason. Why are you salty? New games are going to benefit from this as well.

I'm sure if he said "PS5 Pro is difficult to work with"

You would say the same thing....
Yeah Right Judging You GIF

Why are you so salty? Why would the PS5 Pro be difficult to work with? Devs already incorporate multiple options for AI upscaling on PC. All they have to do is replace FSR, Checkerboard, or other upsampling techniques with PSSR here and you get better results. If anything it's the other techniques that would be more difficult to use. On top of that you get a beefier GPU, faster memory, and a faster CPU, and faster raytracing...

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
This is the best thing as far as developer adoption goes. Powerful hardware with good tools and easy implementation. I think we're gonna see tons of patches for older games, I would assume more than the PS4 pro.

Edit: Yeah some people on GAF seem to not care for games that are a little older. Well, it's your loss, I'll personally replay tons of stuff like I do after I upgrade my PC.

Not only will I replay old games but I'll play a multitude of games that I'm LTTP on.

Everyone on GAF talks about their backlog, but now we're going to pretend like they don't exist...

Elden Ring launched almost 3 years ago, but you can't play it at a locked 60 fps. A DLC just released and that is also not locked 60... It will be on PS5 Pro...

XXL

Why are you so salty? Why would the PS5 Pro be difficult to work with? Devs already incorporate multiple options for AI upscaling on PC. All they have to do is replace FSR, Checkerboard, or other upsampling techniques with PSSR here and you get better results. If anything it's the other techniques that would be more difficult to use. On top of that you get a beefier GPU, faster memory, and a faster CPU, and faster raytracing...
I'm confused I didn't say that. I was saying if that was said (hypothetically), he wouldn't have the same reaction.

No one is arguing that the PS5 Pro is bad or they they wouldn’t use it over any other console. The issue is the price. In Canada, you could almost buy two original PS5 disc systems for the cost of the Pro with optical and vertical stand.

Last edited:
Some people love their games getting big boosts and can afford to upgrade their console

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

The intention of this thread was not to celebrate the news nms is getting a boost. It was to brag that it's going to be a great console. Affordability is not the factor for most people who won't buy this overpriced joke of an "upgrade". It's a question of value and also the grotesque behaviour of Sony recently.

Three

I'm more interested in the PSVR 2 improvements from the Pro. It already looks amazing on PSVR 2.
I play it regularly on PSVR2 but there is a weird graphical artifact that I don't like about it in VR. When looking at a ship at night with a flashlight on I see these weird squares that look kind of like tiled rendering that's not aligned properly. I don't know how to describe it well and haven't found anything about it online. If Pro fixes this somehow then I'd be happy with the PSVR2 improvements with that alone.

Reactions: XXL

Zacfoldor

"Absolutely rocks" is so very american it's jarring.

It's odd to be reminded people actually say it out loud and it's not just something 2000s high school movies made up
Come on now, you'll never hear us saying anything about whoever yall are over there or whatever it is you do. Carry on mate.

On topic, of course it does. Huge boost over base PS5 and Xbox series.

Imagine you had a gaming PC and got a new GPU that increased performance the same level the PS5 pro will increase GPU performance. Then add the PSSR node. It's a 2 way swing. Easy day 1, I can't game on vanilla for 4 more years after Wukong was blurry as shit and had infinitely input latency. For people who care, the upgrade is gonna be big enough to make all the difference on games. If you are okay with how Wukong plays now, maybe the PS5 Pro isn't for you, but for me, I need this shit like air.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The intention of this thread was not to celebrate the news nms is getting a boost. It was to brag that it's going to be a great console. Affordability is not the factor for most people who won't buy this overpriced joke of an "upgrade". It's a question of value and also the grotesque behaviour of Sony recently.
The question of value is something only you can answer for yourself and not up to you to decide what I or anyone else here finds value in

Three

"Absolutely rocks" is so very american it's jarring.

It's odd to be reminded people actually say it out loud and it's not just something 2000s high school movies made up

Come on now, you'll never hear us saying anything about whoever yall are over there or whatever it is you do. Carry on mate.
How very jingoistic. This whole discussion is bizarre considering both the person saying it and the studio he works for are British.

Three

Hmm, how should I get hyped over nothing burger? At least talk some details!
"the only thing I’d like to say, as an engine programmer who has been through all the PS iterations since PS1, is that this console absolutely rocks."

A well seasoned developer just said they like the PS5 Pro. You don't necessarily need to get hyped by that if you don't want to. Your only takeaway from this information should be that an engine programmer likes working with it so at the very least it's well designed to them. That's it.

The question of value is something only you can answer for yourself and not up to you to decide what I or anyone else here finds value in

That's mental gymnastics. There can be subjective and objective value. Objectively the PS5 pro is of poor consumer value. When it doesn't even appeal to a lot of people who would consider themselves "enthusiasts" such as myself - sony have done a bad job creating value.

There are always people willing to spend money and find value in things - hence incredibly niche coffee machines at eye water prices etc. Sony have clearly missed the mark with the PS5 pro.

Last edited:

kevboard

"you can totally come across another player" says No Man's Sky developer...
"this planet we landed on is totally a random procedurally generated one" says No Man's Sky developer...

sean-murray-wont-over-promise-again.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
That's mental gymnastics. There can be subjective and objective value. Objectively the PS5 pro is of poor consumer value. When it doesn't even appeal to a lot of people who would consider themselves "enthusiasts" such as myself - sony have done a bad job creating value.

Incorrect. There is nothing "objective" about PS5 Pro from a "consumer value" perspective. That's a personal opinion. Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 is right. Everyone decides that for themselves.

Incorrect. There is nothing "objective" about PS5 Pro from a "consumer value" perspective. That's a personal opinion. Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 is right. Everyone decides that for themselves.

Incorrect - as there are other things on the market you can compare that value to as well as historical products filling that same niche - which can provide an objective metric. There is both objective and subjective measurements. It's really not hard but as someone who has always remained neutral and without bias on game companies - I have no interest in discussing this further with people who keep their fingers in their ears while wearing their favourite game studios merch.

Topher

Gold Member
Incorrect - as there are other things on the market you can compare that value to as well as historical products filling that same niche - which can provide an objective metric. There is both objective and subjective measurements. It's really not hard but as someone who has always remained neutral and without bias on game companies - I have no interest in discussing this further with people who keep their fingers in their ears while wearing their favourite game studios merch.

You can make objective comparisons, sure. And you can use those objective metrics to come to your own subjective conclusion. What I see as a value doesn't have to line up to what you see as value. That's why it is completely subjective.

Sorry, but the only one sticking their fingers in their ears and running away here is you. But if you can't stomach even the slightest pushback in a debate then yeah, best you be on your way.

All you Heisenbergs look the same to me

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I game everywhere outside of Nintendo so its not a favorite game studio type of thing for me

In the end its up to each individual to determine if something is of value to them or not

You likely buy things I don't find of value to me and chances are I spend my money on things that would be of no value to you, its just how it works

And you are right, its really not that hard

LectureMaster

Gold Member
"the only thing I’d like to say, as an engine programmer who has been through all the PS iterations since PS1, is that this console absolutely rocks."

A well seasoned developer just said they like the PS5 Pro. You don't necessarily need to get hyped by that if you don't want to. Your only takeaway from this information should be that an engine programmer likes working with it so at the very least it's well designed to them. That's it.
Of course this ambiguousness won't get me hyped. He likes the Pro, what with what context? Is it working fine to enhance NMS? Is it easy to develop their new game ? Is the architecture good or is the AI algorithm well implemented? Also, unlike PC, Pro's extra power depends on each Dev's manual patch, that's why I hope to see details when hearing the praise. I pre-ordered it on day one but I'm not just gonna be blindly ecstatic just because someone said it rocks.

Three

There are always people willing to spend money and find value in things - hence incredibly niche coffee machines at eye water prices etc. Sony have clearly missed the mark with the PS5 pro.
The mental gymnastics is coming only from yourself. What is "objective value" in this situation?

I think people just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that everything is expensive nowadays. The consumer value is no different than past midgen consoles or a graphics card upgrade. In fact when the Xbox One X launched the base console was $250 and the One X was $500. so it was $250 more for improved image quality and more stable framerate. The PS5 Pro is a similar ~$200-250 above the base but what's different in today's economy is that everything is expensive, the base consoles are expensive too. They're stuck at $450-500. Look at this video

What "value proposition" was it offering for $250 more in comparison to the same today? It was just greater image clarity (some games even inherited some of the lower settings from the base xbox one). It was showing last gen (360) games running at more stable framerates. Not much was different other than the angry mob

Last edited:

Three

Of course this ambiguousness won't get me hyped. He likes the Pro, what with what context? Is it working fine to enhance NMS? Is it easy to develop their new game ? Is the architecture good or is the AI algorithm well implemented? Also, unlike PC, Pro's extra power depends on each Dev's manual patch, that's why I hope to see details when hearing the praise. I pre-ordered it on day one but I'm not just gonna be blindly ecstatic just because someone said it rocks.
I think you can safely assume that it just means development on it is a pleasurable experience and enhancing NMS wasn't a pain in the ass. As in it's never been this good for them from PS1 till now. It's more just a dev openly sharing their experience with it than something to be hyped or ecstatic about.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The mental gymnastics is coming only from yourself. What is "objective value" in this situation?

I think people just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that everything is expensive nowadays. The consumer value is no different than past midgen consoles or a graphics card upgrade. In fact when the Xbox One X launched the base console was $250 and the One X was $500. so it was $250 more for improved image quality and more stable framerate. The PS5 Pro is a similar ~$200-250 above the base but what's different in today's economy is that everything is expensive, the base consoles are expensive too. They're stuck at $450-500. Look at this video

What "value proposition" was it offering for $250 more in comparison to the same today? It was just greater image clarity (some games even inherited some of the lower settings from the base xbox one). It was showing last gen (360) games running at more stable framerates. Not much was different other than the angry mob

Friday Movie GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Like the new 2TB Series X for $599? But that would just weaken your argument...

200.gif

Top Bottom