• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Absolutely Rocks, Says No Man’s Sky Developer

Some enlightenment:
"Objective means verifiable information based on facts and evidence. Subjective means information or perspectives based on feelings, opinions, or emotions."

You say:
There can be subjective and objective value. Objectively the PS5 pro is of poor consumer value. When it doesn't even appeal to a lot of people who would consider themselves "enthusiasts" such as myself - sony have done a bad job creating value.

Nothing you have stated is factual. It is based on your own opinion.

I fell for the "it's so much better" narrative with this game tbh.

It released as a turd and then it got better...but no one told me that just because it was better that it was still bad. My god what a waste of money...

That's mental gymnastics. There can be subjective and objective value. Objectively the PS5 pro is of poor consumer value. When it doesn't even appeal to a lot of people who would consider themselves "enthusiasts" such as myself - sony have done a bad job creating value.

There are always people willing to spend money and find value in things - hence incredibly niche coffee machines at eye water prices etc. Sony have clearly missed the mark with the PS5 pro.
Come on now just because something isn't for you doesn't mean it's "poor consumer value". It's literally doing what PS4 Pro was...maybe even more.

If it's more expensive it's clearly not Sony's fault. Look at the market out there.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Some enlightenment:
"Objective means verifiable information based on facts and evidence. Subjective means information or perspectives based on feelings, opinions, or emotions."

You say:

Nothing you have stated is factual. It is based on your own opinion.
He doesn't understand subjective

I own 2 1911 .45 handguns, one I purchased new several years ago and one handed down from my grandfather that he actually carried in WW2

Which do you think is way more valuable to me and simply could not be purchased?

Come on now, you'll never hear us saying anything about whoever yall are over there or whatever it is you do. Carry on mate.
Yeah, I noticed a slight mocking undertone in that original post after the fact.
No insult intended, americans. I was simply curious about language

... like I am with your reply:
'Y'all' is american-derived but still sort of global, but 'mate' is definitively british/australasian.
It's interesting to note the mixed use, no?

Okay, I'll stop.

On-topic: I can't bring myself to believe a word out of Sean's (or anyone at HG's) mouth anymore, but I'm sure the extra power from the Pro is helpful

Last edited:

Bojji

The mental gymnastics is coming only from yourself. What is "objective value" in this situation?

I think people just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that everything is expensive nowadays. The consumer value is no different than past midgen consoles or a graphics card upgrade. In fact when the Xbox One X launched the base console was $250 and the One X was $500. so it was $250 more for improved image quality and more stable framerate. The PS5 Pro is a similar ~$200-250 above the base but what's different in today's economy is that everything is expensive, the base consoles are expensive too. They're stuck at $450-500. Look at this video

What "value proposition" was it offering for $250 more in comparison to the same today? It was just greater image clarity (some games even inherited some of the lower settings from the base xbox one). It was showing last gen (360) games running at more stable framerates. Not much was different other than the angry mob

One X was 2x more expensive but if offered 4.5x better GPU and in many games we saw 4x (or more) jump in resolution. Add 50% more RAM for better textures + 4K bluray vs normal one in Xbox One S.

Pro is:

W1NE3E6.jpeg
yIwucdb.jpeg

78% more expensive than digital model and only offers 45% more raw power (67% theoretical).

Xbox one X was OBJECTIVELY much better deal. Plus Americans are getting much better deal on Pro (vs. normal PS5), rest of the world is fucked by Sony.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One X was 2x more expensive but if offered 4.5x better GPU and in many games we saw 4x (or more) jump in resolution. Add 50% more RAM for better textures + 4K bluray vs normal one in Xbox One S.

Pro is:

W1NE3E6.jpeg
yIwucdb.jpeg

78% more expensive than digital model and only offers 45% more raw power (67% theoretical).

Xbox one X was OBJECTIVELY much better deal. Plus Americans are getting much better deal on Pro (vs. normal PS5), rest of the world is fucked by Sony.
Explain nVidia tax then.

Three

One X was 100% more expensive but if offered 450% better GPU and in many games we saw 400% (or more) jump in resolution. Add 50% more RAM for better textures + 4K bluray vs normal one in Xbox One S.
You're going with 450% better now? Tf is just a number. You get comparable image quality improvements upscaled today. It didn't show 450% better in the majority of games in reality either even native.

Blu-ray? Didn't the base console have blu-ray too? The One X was a shit blu-ray player anyway, it was incapable of reading some discs. If you want to go into other improvements like bluray then why ignore wifi 7 in the PS5 pro? Or the 1TB extra storage? Anyway I know how this conversation is going to go with your hate for it so have at it.

Bojji

Explain nVidia tax then.

What does nvidia have to do with console vs. console comparison? Xbox One X was released in 2017 and Nvidia started fucking customers around 2018. It was before inflation, covid etc. so IMO those exuses can't be used here. It's just greed for the most part - same thing drives both Nvidia and Sony. Consoles were better deal (price/performance) before this gen (vs. PC).

And just like with Nvidia GPUs on PC we are left with Sony monopoly in (not underpowered) console space. They charge whatever they want, even reaching the point where full pc is not much more expensive than PS5 Pro.

You're going with 450% better now? Tf is just a number. You get comparable image quality improvements upscaled today. It didn't show 450% better in the majority of games in reality either even native.

Blu-ray? Didn't the base console have blu-ray too? The One X was a shit blu-ray player anyway, it was incapable of reading some discs. If you want to go into other improvements like bluray then why ignore wifi 7 in the PS5 pro? Or the 1TB extra storage? Anyway I know how this conversation is going to go with your hate for it so have at it.

Image quality jump from 720p/900p to 1800p/4k was MASSIVE, much bigger than what Pro offers.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What does nvidia have to do with console vs. console comparison? Xbox One X was released in 2017 and Nvidia started fucking customers around 2018. It was before inflation, covid etc. so IMO those exuses can't be used here. It's just greed for the most part - same thing that drives Nvidia. Consoles were better deal (price/performance) before this gen (vs. PC).

And just like with Nvidia GPUs on PC we are left with Sony monopoly in (not underpowered) console space. They charge whatever they want, even reaching the point where full pc is not much more expensive than PS5 Pro.
PC people crying over $700, sure have no issues throwing $1500 to $2500 (bet) on just a new card with similar jumps in power (as the Pro) of the prior ones.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Explain nVidia tax then.
Boji has something personal against Sony and we all love him for that, but he’s right here. The outrage of the Pro price has no sense in America. Yes, the deal was better in Gen8. Yes, times had change. No, the Pro is not expensive in ‘Murcia, it’s competitive at its price and a good value proposition for its target audience. Yes, is a bloody ripoff everywhere else for sure and I hope nobody outside the States buy it.

Last edited:

kevboard

The mental gymnastics is coming only from yourself. What is "objective value" in this situation?

I think people just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that everything is expensive nowadays. The consumer value is no different than past midgen consoles or a graphics card upgrade. In fact when the Xbox One X launched the base console was $250 and the One X was $500. so it was $250 more for improved image quality and more stable framerate. The PS5 Pro is a similar ~$200-250 above the base but what's different in today's economy is that everything is expensive, the base consoles are expensive too. They're stuck at $450-500. Look at this video

What "value proposition" was it offering for $250 more in comparison to the same today? It was just greater image clarity (some games even inherited some of the lower settings from the base xbox one). It was showing last gen (360) games running at more stable framerates. Not much was different other than the angry mob

the launch MSRP for the Xbox One without Kinect was 400€, the launch MSRP for the One X was 500€

the One X had an almost generational GPU power jump from the base One and ran games at up to 5x the resolution of the base One with better textures thanks to 4GB of additional Memory and a switch from DDR3 to GDDR5.

900p Xbox One games ran at or close to 2160p

Thanks to the massive jump in memory and memory bandwidth, the One X was often able to run games at twice the resolution of the PS4 Pro, even tho on paper the GPU was only 40% more powerful.

and all that in a smaller console than the One S

Meanwhile, compare this to the PS5 Pro. a system is more than twice as expensive as the MSRP of the original model (400€ vs 800€)
and has the smallest uplift in GPU power of any mid gen refresh so far.

you can blame the current market situation of course, but that doesn't change the fact that many people are rightfully shocked at that price, for a console that subjectively feels like it's just a PS5 with fancy upsampling tech. fancy upsampling tech that wouldn't even necessarily need a console upgrade if Intel would finally open source XeSS as promised.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Pro is:

W1NE3E6.jpeg
yIwucdb.jpeg

Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

Topher

Gold Member
you can blame the current market situation of course, but that doesn't change the fact that many people are rightfully shocked at that price, for a console that is objectively feels like it's just a PS5 with fancy upsampling tech. fancy upsampling tech that wouldn't even necessarily need a console upgrade if Intel would finally open source XeSS as promised.

Open source XeSS isn't going to magically add ML components to the GPU my man.

Bojji

PC people crying over $700, sure have no issues throwing $1500 to $2500 (bet) on just a new card with similar jumps in power (as the Pro) of the prior ones.

PC players are hostage to nvidia, if AMD offered real competition many people would buy their gpus but they mostly just copy nvidia (even in price) and not offer the same level of features.

Just like PS players are tied to PS ecosystem PC players have everything on this platform. If they want to upgrade they have to pay the price Nvidia wants them to pay.

I was always attacking this company (nvidia) for what they are doing just like I'm attacking Sony for doing the same.

Radical_3d

PC players are hostage to nvidia, if AMD offered real competition many people would buy their gpus but they mostly just copy nvidia (even in price) and not offer the same level of features.
I’m hoping RDNA 4 is not like that going forward to Civ 7. I don’t need super RT capabilities. I just want decent ML upscaling and not giving my money again to team green.

MikeM

Gold Member

Just like PS players are tied to PS ecosystem PC players have everything on this platform. If they want to upgrade they have to pay the price Nvidia wants them to pay.

I was always attacking this company (nvidia) for what they are doing just like I'm attacking Sony for doing the same.
Im pretty happy with my AMD PC. This is my second build with all AMD as well. Some of you are very hyperbolic lol

One X also had games like Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 running at 60fps.

DrDryRub

Newsflash dev says more power equals gooder games... Does anyone really think a dev would say "no, don't give me more power.." of course the devs are gonna say it's good. When my boss pays a lil extra by mistake I don't go aww shoot I don't want the extra money

ZoukGalaxy

They also said at launch of No Man's Sky that you can meet people in the infinite universe of the game but it's "unlikely" while having no online component at all included in the launch build.

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Bojji

Nobody is hostage to PlayStation. Every single industry is raising prices for the same or barely an upgrade. From food, to phones to PC, TVs, and video games.

If you want to play "normal" console games you don't have much choice now, only Sony console makes any sense - MS can bail out at any point and Nintendo offers different experience.

Obviously no one forces anyone to buy Pro console but even base models of both PS5 and XSX have the same fucking price (or more) than 4 years ago, normally at this point in time old consoles were dirt cheap. Everything is fucked basically.

Three

the launch MSRP for the Xbox One without Kinect was 400€, the launch MSRP for the One X was 500€
We're not talking about launch prices. Today the base consoles were cheaper when they launched than they are now if you want to play that game. When the One X launched the base Xbox One was $250 MSRP vs $500 MSRP for the Xbox One X. Show me these differences in IQ and I can show you the same differences today plus more with RT.

Last edited:

The Xbox One X made PUBG waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more playable.... Loading wise, image wise, frame rate wise. It was super noticable. Almost next gen in comparison. Just my two cents on that game particularly.

Bojji

Exactly, so I expect to see you in all pricing threads instead of just ones about the Pro.

I was very active in Ada price threads and I'm sure I will be very active in Blackwell threads.

I don't thing big companies care about people complaining online (as long as it's not trending on twitter, hahaha) but should we just accept this bullshit and say that everything is fine?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was very active in Ada price threads and I'm sure I will be very active in Blackwell threads.

I don't thing big companies care about people complaining online (as long as it's not trending on twitter, hahaha) but should we just accept this bullshit and say that everything is fine?
Honestly, inflation all starts at the top. Governments.

Radical_3d

Obviously no one forces anyone to buy Pro console but even base models of both PS5 and XSX have the same fucking price (or more) than 4 years ago, normally at this point in time old consoles were dirt cheap. Everything is fucked basically.
But that’s not due to Xbox having hostage no one (except Batagglia’s family, I suspect). Last year Apple presented an iPad that was basically a striped down iPad Air 4 but more expensive (at least here in Europe). That’s how technology is in 2024 for you. They aren’t going to take the L in a product that has demonstrated in one of their most successful generations that doesn’t sell more than a 10% of the install base. Because they are already selling the base model at loss. The European price is another matter…

Three

The Xbox One X made PUBG waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more playable.... Loading wise, image wise, frame rate wise. It was super noticable. Almost next gen in comparison. Just my two cents on that game particularly.
Not sure if this is sarcasm but that was a terrible game on any system back then when they were doing the One X comparisons:

But, but but 450% better! Generational leap!

XXL

Many games are already showing a 100% increase in FPS while looking better than the original Fidelity mode. Thats more than a 100% upgrade for 78% increase in cost. With 1TB of extra storage on top.
Exactly.
taylor swift suck it GIF

Last edited:

bundylove

The intention of this thread was not to celebrate the news nms is getting a boost. It was to brag that it's going to be a great console. Affordability is not the factor for most people who won't buy this overpriced joke of an "upgrade". It's a question of value and also the grotesque behaviour of Sony recently.
Anyone that cant stomach 700 is a loser.
Either you are kid who cant work in which case yes you cant afford it or you are jist a lazy nobody who cant make a living.
Every new phone is 1000 plus and thats every 2 years as thats how long they last and nobody complains.

Its just negative marketing against sony at this point.

YOu can make 700 in a couole weekends doing side jobs or whatever. Easy.

And it has a different value to everyone.
If this is your hobby this 700 is nothing.
If you are a pc gamer this 700 is nothing compare to what you spend annualy on pc.

If your interests are shoes or clothing and other stuff i dont come in and say what a vaste of money yet i know countless people who spend that 700 on that in a month.

When people come in here in shit on the price all i hear is broke ass losers who are looking for hand outs.

This is my opinion, someone who worked and keeps working his ass of, someone who took big risks, hit rock bottom a few times but always fought its way back up.
Its all up to you what you make out of your life and dont expect anyone to help you along.
I am not saying everyone is a lazy loser , there are many unfortunate people who barely get by but they are not the intended customer.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
In fact when the Xbox One X launched the base console was $250 and the One X was $500. so it was $250 more for improved image quality and more stable framerate.
Or in other words - it doubled the price - which well 🤷‍♀️
Then again - 1x sold less than Dreamcast in roughly the same amount of time. So it's not like market exactly loved it - regardless of the vocal minority online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom