• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 pro game boost for PS4 BC titles + improvements to select games

MDSLKTR

PS5 Pro Game Boost, which can apply to more than 8,500 backward compatible PS4 games playable on PS5 Pro. This feature may stabilize or improve the performance of supported PS4 and PS5 games. Enhanced Image Quality for PS4 games is also available to improve the resolution on select PS4 games.

Bartski

Gold Member
am I getting this right, both performance and fidelity modes are there to stay, perf will result in better iq while quality hit higher fps

It can't be system wide if it's "select" PS4 titles, can it?

I think this is just marketing speak for saying that the extra power will be used for dynamic resolution scaling, which it was always going to.

Unless I'm missing something?
They can't say "all". That's a lawsuit waiting to happen if there's games out there that don't have a boost by any chance.

MDSLKTR

Where does this say this? I’m blind. I only see:
Features only available on select PS5 games that have been enhanced for PS5 Pro when compared with the PS5. PS5 Pro enhanced features will vary by game
A80zVuH.png

Hunnybun

Doesn't seem like it. Most PS4 games with dynamic res were already running at max on a ps5. "Improve resolution on select PS4 games" sound like AI upscaling to me.

I'd be amazed if that's the case. If it can automatically upscale an old 1080p game to 4k with no patch, then that's easily the biggest news from the announcement. Which they didn't even mention. So I'm guessing it can't be the case. They'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

And I'm guessing there are actually loads of PS4 games with Pro versions that used DRS to output beyond 1080p but well below 4k.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I'd be amazed if that's the case. If it can automatically upscale an old 1080p game to 4k with no patch, then that's easily the biggest news from the announcement. Which they didn't even mention. So I'm guessing it can't be the case. They'd be shouting it from the rooftops.
I think we went through the same thing with BC on the PS5 where there were major doubts because it wasn't shouted from the rooftops, while it turned out amazing. Technically I don't think it's impossible, windows already has auto SR that works with pretty much everything with no developer input.

Last edited:

Bania Gold

Neo Member
Hmm maybe upscaling will be system wide.

Just looking at the wording for Boost mode on the base PS5.

Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console’s Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate.

No mention about resolution there.

Here's hoping the Pro can do magic.

Last edited:

Elios83

It says select PS4 games..

Yeah I've read that but it's ambiguous.Could be PR language to say that they can't guarantee it will work with everything.
Same language they used when they talked about PS5 backwards compatibility working with top games.
We need more info.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah I've read that but it's ambiguous.Could be to be PR language to say that they can't guarantee it will work with everything.
Same language they used when they talked about PS5 backwards compatibility working with top games.
We need more info.
So Assassin's Creed Unity in 4k60fps

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does it do frame rate enhancements as well? Resolution is nice but fps would incredible. I’m not expecting it but it would be nice.

Games with unlocked FPS will naturally benefit, for anything it says it will be select titles, i-e whichever get bespoke updates.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS5 Pro Game Boost - can improve performance in uncapped games, although the PS5 could play basically anything on PS4 at 4K/60, even at PS4 Pro settings.

PS5 Pro Enhanced Image Quality - goes beyond that sort of like FPS boost on Xbox Series. It would be cool if it could be used to get a 4K image out of Arkham Knight and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Famipan

This is the most interesting feature for me, but I'm still wondering how many PS4 (yes PS4)-titles will benefit from it, compared to just playing on PS5.
Bloodborne, Last Guardian, SotC, Gravity Rush, The Order, Drive Club etc.
I would buy PS5 Pro if titles like these got a 60fps patch only available on PS5 Pro, but for newer titles which are already available on PC, I could just upgrade my GPU.

I really hope Sony could work out PS5 Pro-patch support for all the Assassin's Creed games, Mad Max and other open world titles.
They should just ask the publishers of the most played games and work out a deal.

Last edited:
Hmm. Sounds promising, however the words "may" and "can" makes me think of the PS4 Pro and base PS5, wherein developers had to manually patch their games to get the most benefit and go beyond their original resolutions and frame rates. Otherwise, boost mode just kind of helped games that were struggling to reach their caps get there.

Top Bottom