• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

Bry0

Please, don’t even think about stopping people from posting! I’ve already gone through five buckets of popcorn just watching the epic battles between hardcore PC gamers and the ever-enthusiastic PS5 fans. Keep the show going!
Go PS5 PRO Go !!! I love PSSR with passion :D
A whole lotta PSSRtakes!

Ayo

midnightAI

Black Myth Wukong looks significantly better but is let down by abysmal image quality on PS5, hence why I said the true test will be those titles. We know many more are coming too, so If PSSR can solve the IQ issues with UE5 titles it'll be a big win.

It's not just UE5 titles either, Avatar for example has RTGI on console and incredible foliage, but again is let down by shonky upscaling tech.
Right, so they don't look better, I see.

It's no use saying it's better then cite why it's shitty at the moment on PS5, IQ is part of graphic fidelity. How many PS5 first party games have crap IQ? Or are let down by bad upscaling?

Senua

Right, so they don't look better, I see.

It's no use saying it's better then cite why it's shitty at the moment on PS5, IQ is part of graphic fidelity. How many PS5 first party games have crap IQ? Or are let down by bad upscaling?
I think you missed my point. PSSRs main advantage will be on third party games, especially heavy UE5 titles that have terrible image quality on PS5. Some of these games go below 720p internal resolution which results in garbage IQ. The games underneath actually look incredible beneath that as we can see on their PC versions. PSSR will unlock games such as Alan Wake 2, Avatar and Black Myth Wukong and will look incredible. PS5 first party games already have good IQ because they are higher resolution because they aren't pushing the tech as hard in other areas, hence my post.

midnightAI

I think you missed my point. PSSRs main advantage will be on third party games, especially heavy UE5 titles that have terrible image quality on PS5. Some of these games go below 720p internal resolution which results in garbage IQ. The games underneath actually look incredible beneath that as we can see on their PC versions. PSSR will unlock games such as Alan Wake 2, Avatar and Black Myth Wukong and will look incredible. PS5 first party games already have good IQ because they are higher resolution because they aren't pushing the tech as hard in other areas, hence my post.
And my point is that they just push as hard as they need to without screwing up things like IQ hoping that in the future hardware will brute force fix issues they have now.

Horizon (even being cross gen) is up there with any of the games you mentioned. Don't you think Sonys internal teams will be working on games right now that will take full advantage of Pro?

Last edited:

Senua

And my point is that they just push as hard as they need to without screwing up things like IQ hoping that in the future hardware will brute force fix issues they have now.

Horizon (even being cross gen) is up there with any of the games you mentioned. Don't you think Sonys internal teams will be working on games right now that will take full advantage of Pro?
Of course I do, but PSSR will show it's true potential with those heavier UE5 games, because they have poor IQ, so the difference will be greater. Yes Horizon is the most impressive of Sony's first party this gen but it still shows it's cross gen roots. It offers no RT features and it shows. The next Horizon game will show what a studio like Guerrilla can really do when unshackled from the Playstation 4.

midnightAI

Of course I do, but PSSR will show it's true potential with those heavier UE5 games, because they have poor IQ, so the difference will be greater. Yes Horizon is the most impressive of Sony's first party this gen but it still shows it's cross gen roots. It offers no RT features and it shows. The next Horizon game will show what a studio like Guerrilla can really do when unshackled from the Playstation 4.
Well it depends on the IQ issues, if it is merely because it is low resolution, then sure, PSSR can fix that, if it is because of other issues, such as artifacts, shimmering, aliasing issues etc then PSSR will more than likely not fix those issues (you can train AI to do impressive things so who knows)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Comparing temporal solutions in screenshots..

Frustrated George Costanza GIF

nikos

You guys really need to wait for Digital Foundry to do their work before drawing any conclusions on which is better.

Fact is nobody knows.

The more I've learned over the years, the less credible Digital Foundry has become. I'd rather see it myself and draw my own conclusions. Was just commenting based on the screens provided.

Zathalus

DLSS has no image issues?
Did I claim that? They put up PSSR vs DLSS, DLSS had no shimmering on distant foliage, PSSR did. DLSS also handled motion better.
I would wait for some direct capture of the real thing, before jumping to conclusions one way or the other

They are just nitpicking on a video trailer right now....

One thing is for sure:

PSSR will destroy FSR2 and that's the whole point of it...
They were using the 65GB ProRes file that Sony provided them. Not trailer footage.

Did I claim that? They put up PSSR vs DLSS, DLSS had no shimmering on distant foliage, PSSR did. DLSS also handled motion better.

They were using the 65GB ProRes file that Sony provided them. Not trailer footage.

It's still the same trailer just in HQ (Uncompressed ProRes)

But it's still the same trailer with Cerny talking

Let's wait for something more substantial, shall we?

What base resolution were they using? What cost on the GPU? we know PSSR costs 2ms on a 4070 like GPU. I mean sure if they use DLSS highest quality on a 4090 it will be better than DLSS medium quality on a 4070, right?

We need more comparisons and the most interesting won't be from THEM.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
they dont even have the console and games and are jumping to conclusions.
The usual for them....
What do you mean by "jumping to conclusion"? I don't think they made any broad generalization for now. Based on the footage they were provided with, they determined that DLSS is better. They do stress that these are some quick and dirty patches without that much work behind them, so not sure why you're taking issue.

Topher

Gold Member
What do you mean by "jumping to conclusion"? I don't think they made any broad generalization for now. Based on the footage they were provided with, they determined that DLSS is better. They do stress that these are some quick and dirty patches without that much work behind them, so not sure why you're taking issue.

Frankly, I'm thrilled that PSSR is as close to DLSS as is being reported. People don't seem to recognize this is actually good news.

Zathalus

It's still the same trailer just in HQ (Uncompressed ProRes)

But it's still the same trailer with Cerny talking

Let's wait for something more substantial, shall we?
The supplied footage is similar in quality to what they use for capturing. It certainly won’t effect things like pixel counting, ghosting, and other upscaling artifacts.
What base resolution were they using? What cost on the GPU? we know PSSR costs 2ms on a 4070 like GPU. I mean sure if they use DLSS highest quality on a 4090 it will be better than DLSS medium quality on a 4070, right?

We need more comparisons and the most interesting won't be from THEM.
Ratchet and Clank PSSR was 1440p-1800p upscaled to 4K vs DLSS Quality mode at 4K (so 1440p). PSSR had the resolution advantage and still couldn’t quite match DLSS. They were not comparing PC performance vs Pro performance at all, just image quality. As they also pointed out, PSSR will certainly improve over time, and these were quick patches to existing games while the developers are probably busy with making new games.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
untill they have the gear with them , or any other tech sites for that matter , its not conclusive

Gaiff

Frankly, I'm thrilled that PSSR is as close to DLSS as is being reported. People don't seem to recognize this is actually good news.
Yeah, as long as it's significantly better than FSR, I'm happy. I honestly wasn't expecting it to beat DLSS, but I kept an open mind.
untill they have the gear with them , or any other tech sites for that matter , its not conclusive
Yeah...which is what I said. However, I have the feeling that your problem lies elsewhere. I'm sure you'd be screaming from the rooftops if they had said PSSR was better, but since they didn't, you have a problem with them. Furthermore, no one said it was conclusive, so not sure who or what you're addressing.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Yeah, as long as it's significantly better than FSR, I'm happy. I honestly wasn't expecting it to beat DLSS, but I kept an open mind.

Yeah...which is what I said. However, I have the feeling that your problem lies elsewhere. I'm sure you'd be screaming from the rooftops if they had said PSSR was better, but since they didn't, you have a problem with them. Furthermore, no one said it was conclusive, so not sure who or what you're addressing.
seek help

The supplied footage is similar in quality to what they use for capturing. It certainly won’t effect things like pixel counting, ghosting, and other upscaling artifacts.

Ratchet and Clank PSSR was 1440p-1800p upscaled to 4K vs DLSS Quality mode at 4K (so 1440p). PSSR had the resolution advantage and still couldn’t quite match DLSS. They were not comparing PC performance vs Pro performance at all, just image quality. As they also pointed out, PSSR will certainly improve over time, and these were quick patches to existing games while the developers are probably busy with making new games.
Sure but there are quality settings to DLSS too (like FSR) that can have a big impact on final quality, unsurprisingly.

As usual they seem to be biased in how they are comparing a Playstation console vs anything PC and how they are going to compare DLSS to PSSR: Use the best setting ever with the most powerful card vs the medium settings running on a medium GPU. Gotcha.

I'll wait for others comparing DLSS running on a 4070 with medium (2ms) settings to really see how good PSSR is using 300 TOPs.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Sure but there are quality settings to DLSS too (like FSR) that can have a big impact on final quality, unsurprisingly.

As usual they seem to be biased in how they are comparing a Playstation console vs anything PC and how they are going to compare DLSS to PSSR: Use the best setting ever with the most powerful card vs the medium settings running on a medium GPU. Gotcha.

I'll wait for others comparing DLSS running on a 4070 with medium (2ms) settings to really see how good PSSR is using 300 TOPs.
What other quality settings are you referring to? You’re also dramatically overstating the difference in frame time rendering difference between a 4070 and a 4090 for DLSS it’s something like 0.4ms. You have to drop to a 2060 Super before DLSS has a frame time cost of 2ms at 4K. But performance doesn’t really matter in this comparison as they are just straight up comparing upscaling image quality.

But later in the video Alex mentions he has been using a 4070 for his comparison shots.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I'm not sure you understand how the tests were conducted. Zathalus said the following: Ratchet and Clank PSSR was 1440p-1800p upscaled to 4K vs DLSS Quality mode at 4K (so 1440p). PSSR had the resolution advantage and still couldn’t quite match DLSS.

So why are you bringing up a 4070 running DLSS on Balanced (Medium isn't a thing) when it's made clear they're running it in Quality Mode with a 4K target, meaning the base resolution is 1440p, lower than the 1440p-1800p range on the Pro. DLSS is at a disadvantage in this case but still looks better. It doesn't matter if you use a 4090 or 4020. If you use the same internal resolution and the same output resolution, the IQ will be identical.

I mean, this was you on the second page:
Yes it's actually just a confirmation of how PSSR seems to perform: really, really well, likely similar to DLSS. The small comparison using Ratchet from the leaked document already showed similar improvement. The AA seems less aggressive here and we can see abit more specular aliasing but overall it's much more pleasing and detailed. It also doesn't seem to exhibit the main problem of DLSS: the less detailed textures, we can actually see more detailed textures in all games shown.

This was your conclusion using still images. But now, big bad DF who had uncompressed and pristine footage is biased because they're pitting the poor little PS5 Pro running at 360p vs the 4090 monster running at 8K? Come on.

You guys set yourselves up to be mocked with takes and switches like this.

Last edited:
Looking at the presentation Forbidden West looks to have a nice upgraded lighting system so we might not have to wait for the next one.

jm89

I guess you can wait until Monday to watch the video yourself but the advantages of DLSS are pretty clear in the video comparison. As I said it’s nothing major but they are there nonetheless.
Honestly that's pretty decent.I never expected it to beat dlss but if the difference aren't major then they did a good job in the first try.

Zathalus

Honestly that's pretty decent.I never expected it to beat dlss but if the difference aren't major then they did a good job in the first try.
DF are very positive on it, and it’s quite the upgrade compared to FSR. It’s minor stuff really, and will only improve over time.

Exactly! I don't understand the negative sentiment and some are ridiculing the low rez but I'm looking at that as PSSR is good enough to still look like fidelity mode at 60 that's impressive screw the resolution it's all about image quality.

Top Bottom