• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

Bojji

We should want it to be even better than DLSS right or do we have a agenda?

I don't know if it's better.
I see better in stills but that isn't enough to convince me.
Need more.

On still images even FSR can look good. True test of quality of reconstruction is in motion.

Both DLSS and XeSS started in much worse position then they are now, but it takes time. What's annoying is that PS fanboys love to jump the gun with some silly conclusions before any evidence appears. PSSR better than DLSS because Sony have upscaling in their tvs for years (like it's similar to real time game rendering)? False, 8K games on PS5 Pro?... LOL.

SKYF@ll

On still images even FSR can look good. True test of quality of reconstruction is in motion.

Both DLSS and XeSS started in much worse position then they are now, but it takes time. What's annoying is that PS fanboys love to jump the gun with some silly conclusions before any evidence appears. PSSR better than DLSS because Sony have upscaling in their tvs for years (like it's similar to real time game rendering)? False, 8K games on PS5 Pro?... LOL.
We'll only know the quality of PSSR once the game is patched when the PS5 Pro launches in November.
Let's hope it evolves from α ~ β versions we're seeing today.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
We'll only know the quality of PSSR once the game is patched when the PS5 Pro launches in November.
Let's hope it evolves from α ~ β versions we're seeing today.

True. Insomniac in particular have been known clear fidelity and performance quirks on their games up to final release.

Bojji

I'll wait for reputable places to compare.

What places? Many people dislike DF but it's usually because their hurt they feelings, not because they are wrong about hard data sometimes they are, but so is everyone

VG is great but produces too little content, NXG has obvious bias for Sony and is wrong about stuff more than DF. I don't know about anyone else that is even close to them, rest of comparisons on the Internet are usually pure nonsense.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Guys, what if PSSR is not as good as DLSS?

Simple:

i'm out game of thrones GIF by Amanda

S0ULZB0URNE

What places? Many people dislike DF but it's usually because their hurt they feelings, not because they are wrong about hard data sometimes they are, but so is everyone

VG is great but produces too little content, NXG has obvious bias for Sony and is wrong about stuff more than DF. I don't know about anyone else that is even close to them, rest of comparisons on the Internet are usually pure nonsense.
Those two are better and not biased like DF is known for.

Senua

We should want it to be even better than DLSS right or do we have a agenda?
Expecting Sony to beat DLSS right off the bat was very optimistic. We shall wait for monday but from all impressions. But I'm sure you'll not trust DF anyway, as they won't tell you what you want to hear...Speaking of agendas.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member

If PSSR is even 95% as good as DLSS it's a win for console, FSR is complete dogshit especially when devs don't put any effort into making it look good.

amc

So the leading AI deep learning and reconstruction tech that's powering the world's current AI revolution is going to be upstaged by Sony due to their TV picture upscale algorithm knowledge. OK.

I hope PSSR is good, great even but silly hyperbole just feeds sad war know nothings.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Expecting Sony to beat DLSS right off the bat was very optimistic. We shall wait for monday but from all impressions. But I'm sure you'll not trust DF anyway, as they won't tell you what you want to hear...Speaking of agendas.
Agendas can't answer simple questions I asked you for all to see.

It's not right off the bat.
Don't trust them but that doesn't mean they are never right.

Ronin_7

So the leading AI deep learning and reconstruction tech that's powering the world's current AI revolution is going to be upstaged by Sony due to their TV picture upscale algorithm knowledge. OK.

I hope PSSR is good, great even but silly hyperbole just feeds sad war know nothings.
Idk why people are assuming is better, if it's at least 85% as good it'll still be incredible.

pasterpl

What a waste of OP. Most images are comparing games on ps5 vs ps5 pro and your main thesis, at this point, is mute and wishful thinking. Next I propose you show us and analyse how it compares to ps4 pro version of the games.

rnlval

I would wait for some direct capture of the real thing, before jumping to conclusions one way or the other

They are just nitpicking on a video trailer right now....

One thing is for sure:

PSSR will destroy FSR2 and that's the whole point of it...
AMD has recently announced AI-based FSR4.

twilo99

Gold Member
AMD has recently announced AI-based FSR4.

It will be very strange if they didn't...

AMD's next generation of GPUs will be very interesting in terms of price vs. performance .. everyone is writing them off but I've got a good feeling about it, at least from a consumer standpoint

Madjako

We’ve know about PS5 Pro for years, we’ve known that PSSR was a core part of this system for years, we know that Sony has been investigating upscaling since CBR on PS4 Pro and anti aliasing algorithms since PS3 (MLAA). This isn’t like AMD farting out FSR to quickly have something to put next to Nvidia. They’ve been working on these problems for a long time, longer than Nvidia, and their work has influenced developments elsewhere.

There’s no reason not to think PSSR will be an excellent solution, outside of being a Nvidia fanboy.
I remember the amazing divX upscale on the PS3

I was curious and went looking back on DF comparisons of PS5 resolution/fidelity modes with a 4090 DLAA max settings, and preliminary comparison suggests to me that PSSR is potentially a vastly superior solution. I gathered the limited samples from today's Cerny tech talk where base PS5 fidelity mode was compared to PS5 Pro that doubled frame rate in addition to improving effective resolution. For the DF comparisons, I have Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West where, again, Alex compares 4K DLAA max settings image quality to PS5 fidelity modes (unfortunately, DF didn't use Fidelity mode for their Ratchet PC analysis). I won't point out the differences, instead I'll let you be the judge and see which ML upscaling technique appears to provide more impressive uplifts. Of course this is early days and I'm not claiming PSSR is definitively better, as 3rd party games might be a completely different scenario. But I still think the possibility of even first party games on PS5 Pro besting top of the line GPUs in image quality is a big deal.

PS5 Pro PSSR vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Spider-Man 2/Ratchet):

KIjK72i.jpeg

zOzepdj.jpeg

4090 DLAA Max Settings vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Spider-Man Miles Morales):

cSSpz6O.jpeg
s4ITVl9.jpeg

4090 DLAA Max Settings vs PS5 Fidelity Mode (Horizon Forbidden West):

BSVWHuD.jpeg
FtyhvGb.jpeg

6oKF0nC.jpeg
HVU0879.jpeg

Where ChiefDada ChiefDada at?

gifs couches Cats funny - 7923142144

Does the PS5 Pro best the top of the line graphic cards like the 4090 in image quality or nah? Shit we didn’t even make it to next year and we already got developers like Remedy Entertainment making excuses, games are only going to get more demanding from this point on especially when the Unreal Engine 5 receive updates to its feature set with more graphical features in the next years.

Top Bottom