• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro/PSSR Appears to Provide Better Image Reconstruction than DLSS Running on a 4090 GPU

Zathalus

Microsoft is also more valued than Sony so shouldn't the Xbox hardware be miles better than playstation?
That’s a bad comparison though, no matter how much money Microsoft could through at the Xbox design it would still be limited by the BoM as well as what technology was available from AMD. The neural net for AI upscaling just gets the more supercomputer processing you throw at it to train on.

Vick

Gold Member
My panny also looks way better in motion, the only downside is the blacks look way better on my kuro, guess it has way lower hours.
Same here, not by a huge margin but noticeable no doubt after performing not just the Reset but the black level tweak as well. Had a few magenta misfires for a few minutes but then pitch black for years.

Still, honestly don't care, black bars disappear on the Panasonic as well in daylight scenes and the image always looks tridimensional, organic and carved in stone, and that's all that matters.

By all those factors you stated you are right in hanging on to the plasma. It will be better than any modern set. I was just more suprised and happy that i finally found a modern tv that could bet my plasmas in gaming. Something that i can abuse and not worry about any burn in or degredation. No idea what the motion res is on interpolated content, never messured. just by eye in games side by side with the plasma.
Oh man, you can say that again. It is indeed a problem, if a game has an invasive HUD that not even Pixel Orbiter can manage, I simply have to limit my playtime and that actually bothers me a lot.
Thankfully 90% of games have customizable HUD these days, and many minimal to no HUD at all by default.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yea Right GIF

yogaflame

Stupid question, but may I ask if PSSR will perform the same way with both Physical copy and Digital? Did DLSS perform the same way with both physical and digital in PC?

geary

PSSR uses the same sauce astm the SSD? Because outside of insomniac noone takes advantage of that tech. I’m sure every 3rd part is gald they need to implement a 4th upscaling methot in their pipeline, after DLSS, FSR and XeSS. Thats why we see game launched without them and patch 6 months later to have them.

haha this remind me of early of this generation where there is people absolute confident that Xbox Series X gonna stomp PS5 in ML department. you know.. the debate that claim the console has all latest features while PS5 is just RDNA 1.5 whatsoever.

fast foward..who doing ML and not right now?

Nick Offerman Smile GIF
Oh yes I remember. The irony. But those people are on a different script now. "Those PS5 Pro 30fps games!"

Caio

Totally not delusional to assume that Sony will just leapfrog the market leader which happens to be one of the most valuable companies on the planet with an R&D budget Sony can't even dream about on the first try in one of their core competencies...
Riiiiiight.
Your post made me wondering how good the IQ of PSSR2 on PS6 could be, with much more extra work on it. I really want this PS5 PRO, I don't have a PS5 yet...

Vick

Gold Member
Really not that difficult to fathom considering results of base PS5 fidelity mode vs high end PC with DLSS/DLAA on some existing games.

rixRpJY.jpeg

D11suds.jpeg
Those tasty ass PC RT shadows though.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Just needs medium/far away pedestrians casting shadows and would be perfect. Well, it appears they're missing the fence wires as well, but still an extremely welcome improvement.

Abysmal shadow LOD on PS5 also there, and that's Fidelity mode even. Hope to see improvements in this regard on Pro.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Honestly, the graphical differences between a PS5 and a high-end PC are often occasional, they look very similar, but now with PSSR, they will be practically zero (and curious how some people here refuse to realize this)
BtkQp5w.jpeg

yN8U2Dg.jpeg

PS5 version also runs at 1080p/60 with frame generation and the PC version at 4K DLSS/60fps in this example. The difference is dramatic in motion and with a clear picture, not that compressed youtube trash.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BtkQp5w.jpeg

yN8U2Dg.jpeg

PS5 version also runs at 1440p/30 and the PC version at 4K DLSS/60fps in this example. The difference is dramatic in motion and with a clear picture, not that compressed youtube trash.

So what if BMW runs at 4k\60 on the PS5 Pro? What would you say then?

Gaiff

So what if BMW runs at 4k\60 on the PS5 Pro? What would you say then?
That would be great. Doubt this happens though. Quality Mode is 1440p/30. They'd need to increase the pixel count by 2.25x and double the frame rate or quadruple the resolution from the Performance Mode. PSSR looks promising, but it even it has limits.

R3EUIL

BtkQp5w.jpeg

yN8U2Dg.jpeg

PS5 version also runs at 1080p/60 with frame generation and the PC version at 4K DLSS/60fps in this example. The difference is dramatic in motion and with a clear picture, not that compressed youtube trash.
I was referring to graphics, not resolution and FPS, the PC will always be superior in this. Black Myth Wukong is one of those cases where the differences are noticeable (thanks to the implementation of Ray Tracing), but as I said, the PS5 Pro can correct or reduce these differences.

Gaiff

I was referring to graphics, not resolution and FPS, the PC will always be superior in this. Black Myth Wukong is one of those cases where the differences are noticeable (thanks to the implementation of Ray Tracing), but as I said, the PS5 Pro can correct or reduce these differences.
The difference in next-gen or demanding games is usually very big. Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy, Star Wars Outlaws, Black Myth Wukong, Returnal, and more. It's not rare that the PC version looks much better in them. We've had a long cross-gen period that's now winding down and you can see the consoles are struggling a lot with third-party games, hence the reason for the PS5 Pro. The gap will keep increasing too.

R3EUIL

The difference in next-gen or demanding games is usually very big. Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy, Star Wars Outlaws, Black Myth Wukong, Returnal, and more. It's not rare that the PC version looks much better in them. We've had a long cross-gen period that's now winding down and you can see the consoles are struggling a lot with third-party games, hence the reason for the PS5 Pro. The gap will keep increasing too.
None of these games have significant graphical differences between Console and PC (again, graphics). Many of these games are extremely poorly optimized, Dragons Dogma 2 would easily run 60FPS at 1080P with decent optimization, but is locked at 30 due to the amateurism of the developers.

Vick

Gold Member
The footage shown so far looks like we're getting RT shadows on the Pro-Spiderman (btw can we make this a thing now? Pro-'Game name' if it becomes a thing I want credit ;P )
Let's hope it's true. I thought the same but in the video those shadows then seem to morph into PS5 ones for a few frames. We'll see. Would be great as I love RT shadows to death.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That would be great. Doubt this happens though. Quality Mode is 1440p/30. They'd need to increase the pixel count by 2.25x and double the frame rate or quadruple the resolution from the Performance Mode. PSSR looks promising, but it even it has limits.

I mean they could run the game at 1080p\60 and use PSSR to scale it up to 4K. I think that's possible.

Gaiff

I mean they could run the game at 1080p\60 and use PSSR to scale it up to 4K. I think that's possible.
Should be, but I'd rather they add ray tracing effects instead of shooting for super high resolution. The GI, reflections, shadows, and caustics in Wukong are glorious.

No, I even watched the comparison of Cyberpunk 2077 and Dragons Dogma 2 from the same channel where you got the image of Black Myth Wukong
Q0JW8gc.jpeg

h2stCxV.gif

zr1VVr9.gif
P0Noj2y.gif

bdrnJaG.gif
abYsTYW.gif

xG3KujU.gif

fTagbs4.gif

BkBoevN.gif

oB0KKkI.gif

ykwHfDq.png
MveTId0.png

These images are also smaller, negating the differences in volumetric, AF, draw distances, roughness cutoff, particle resolution, and much much more. Also better to watch them from a monitor or large screen.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
That's....not happening :messenger_tears_of_joy:
it would be tough to do, but possible. BMW is pretty heavy, my 6800XT is barely able to average a bit above 1440p60fps with some settings finagling (some on high/cinematic but there are some that have to get turned down). PS5 Pro is gonna have worse raster, so it'd have to drop the internal resolution to maybe 1080p. It'll depend heavily on how good PSSR really is.

R3EUIL

Should be, but I'd rather they add ray tracing effects instead of shooting for super high resolution. The GI, reflections, shadows, and caustics in Wukong are glorious.

Q0JW8gc.jpeg

h2stCxV.gif

zr1VVr9.gif
P0Noj2y.gif

bdrnJaG.gif
abYsTYW.gif

fTagbs4.gif

BkBoevN.gif

oB0KKkI.gif

ykwHfDq.png
MveTId0.png

These images are also smaller, negating the differences in volumetric, AF, draw distances, roughness cutoff, particle resolution, and much much more. Also better to watch them from a monitor or large screen.
Yes, thanks for proving my point, the graphics are similar, but the implementation of Ray Tracing changes that. Let's see how the PS5 Pro changes that.

Gaiff

Yes, thanks for proving my point, the graphics are similar, but the implementation of Ray Tracing changes that. Let's see how the PS5 Pro changes that.
>The graphics are similar

Yeah, they’re the same games. Did you expect a different art style? A high-end PC simply looks much better, which is what it’s supposed to do.

R3EUIL

>The graphics are similar

Yeah, they’re the same games. Did you expect a different art style? A high-end PC simply looks much better, which is what it’s supposed to do.
Not exactly, the graphical differences used to be bigger between games (take Just Cause as an example). But still, I get it, the $2,000 card isn't doing more than its duty.

ap_puff

Neo Member
For all the experts here:

That's a pretty good breakdown, but some factors he didn't analyze: the 4070 has 10% less memory bandwidth and a smaller bus, so at higher resolutions the console GPU may pull close to even. We also don't know how the PS5 Pro cache is laid out, the 40 series cards have a lot of L2 cache which helps quite a bit. It all depends on what is meant by "2-3x the raytracing performance". If it's talking about reduction in frametimes spent calculating RT, then 2x would be better than the 3070 but nowhere near 4070 (if we take pathtracing benchmarks as indicative of raw RT horsepower). At 3x it'll get somewhat close to the 4070 but still be slightly worse.

Gaiff

Not exactly, the graphical differences used to be bigger between games (take Just Cause as an example). But still, I get it, the $2,000 card isn't doing more than its duty.
Just Cause was almost 20 years ago mate. God of War II and III are 3 years apart. God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are 4 years apart. Look at the difference.

Can't compare what's going on now to what was happening 2 decades ago.

R3EUIL

Just Cause was almost 20 years ago mate. God of War II and III are 3 years apart. God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are 4 years apart. Look at the difference.

Can't compare what's going on now to what was happening 2 decades ago.
I understand perfectly, I just used Just Cause as an example because it came out for PS2 and Xbox, and comparing both versions, they seem to be from different generations.

midnightAI

It took NVIDIA quite a while to get DLSS right. The first iteration was pretty underwhelming, the second iteration (Control / Anthem) was much better but actually didn't use the GPU tensor cores.
It's only quite recently that DLSS has really stood out as the go to upscaling solution.

AMD's FSR doesn't come close to matching DLSS for image quality, neither does Intel's XeSS.
So the idea Sony will have a competitor to DLSS straight out of the gate is quite a reach.
You do know that Sony makes other hardware/software than games consoles/games right. You know, hardware and software that necessitates things like upscaling technologies such as cameras, TV's and the like? Sony aren't going into this blind you know.They can also look at how NVidia et al have done their upscaling, it's not like they have to start from scratch with zero knowledge and have to work it out for themselves.

Zathalus

The experts are going to cherry pick everything they can to prove PS5 Pro is weaker than the 4070. Like using CPU bound games with a high end CPU, which they already do with PS5.

I know I'll go to places like NXGamer to have honest comparisons.
The Pro is absolutely weaker compared to the 4070 going off Sonys own performance estimates and the specifications of the GPU. The difference isn’t exactly massive and would probably not really matter to the average person so saying the 4070 best matches the Pro makes sense.

And NXGamer? Honest? The same guy that kept comparing the PS5 vs his 2070? A card that going by the raw specs alone is something like 20% worse then the PS5?

Top Bottom