• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

PaintTinJr

I think what you are referring to, are the WMMA instructions.
I don't think It was, but I'd have to see the slide again, which visualized IIRC double sized matrices being processed to project an effective 2x performance for ML training/inference, which I think the x2 was also on the slide.

Loxus

I don't think It was, but I'd have to see the slide again, which visualized IIRC double sized matrices being processed to project an effective 2x performance for ML training/inference, which I think the x2 was also on the slide.
I think you maybe talking about CDNA?

Bojji

So Red Gaming tech (I know...) was talking about 600-700 price for this console. Given how Sony only increases price of PS5 I can see that.

I think they removed this video.

Last edited:
So Red Gaming tech (I know...) was talking about 600-700 price for this console. Given how Sony only increases price of PS5 I can see that.

I think they removed this video.
I like Paul be he doesn't know shit, he throws so much crap at the wall that something is bound to stick.

"I had one of my sources tell me it's 499, but a few others said it was going to be more than that... honestly I don't know".

Sarcastic Nancy Pelosi GIF by MOODMAN

Audiophile

there isn't. many UHD Blu-rays actually use a ~1080p (2k) master just with a super high bitrate and with HDR, which then result in a decent upgrade in perceive image quality over a normal Blu-ray.
you can of course see a difference between a 2k and a 4k master, but it's not something that instantly stands out, especially compared to a 1080p vs 2160p game
I know it's besides the point of the thread, but just to interject a little, here's a handy breakdown I made a while back for a separate post regarding the potential of a properly sourced full/above spec 2K DI on a 4K UHD Blu-ray authored at its maximum spec:

Maximum Potential of 2K 1.78:1 Master Source on a 4K Display | Blu-ray Disc vs 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray

Blu-ray Disc:

• 2048x1152 >>Subsampled>> 1920*1080 >>Real-Time Upscale>> 3840*2160
  • 8-Bit Colour (256 Gradations of Red, 256 Gradations of Green, 256 Gradations of Blue = 17 Million Colours)
  • Rec.709 (36% of Human Colour Vision Capability)
  • SDR | Standard Dynamic Range + 4:2:0 Chroma Subsampling
  • Max Video Bitrate @ ~40Mbps / AVC H.264 Encoding
  • Luma (Black & White Resolution) = 1920x1080
  • Chroma (Colour Resolution) = 960x540
4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray with HDR10:
  • 2048x1152 >>Offline Upscale>> 3840*2160
  • 10-Bit Colour (1024 Gradations of Red, 1024 Gradations of Green, 1024 Gradations of Blue = 1 Billion Colours)
  • DCI-P3 / BT.2020 (53-76% of Human Colour Vision Capability, Wide Colour Gamut)
  • HDR | High Dynamic Range w/ Static Metadata @ up to 4,000nits + 4:2:0 Chroma Subsampling
  • Max Video Bitrate @ ~128Mbps / HEVC H.265 Encoding
  • Luma (Black & White Resolution) = 3840*2160 (2048x1152 effective resolution)
  • Chroma (Colour Resolution) = 1920x1080
4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision FEL:
  • 2048x1152 >>Offline Upscale>> 3840*2160
  • 12-Bit Colour (4096 Gradations of Red, 4096 Gradations of Green, 4096 Gradations of Blue = 69 Billion Colours) >>Dithered to 10-Bit
  • DCI-P3 / BT.2020 (53-76% of Human Colour Vision Capability, Wide Colour Gamut)
  • DV HDR | High Dynamic Range w/ Dynamic Metadata @ up to 10,000nits + 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling (Lossless Reconstruction from Dolby FEL)
  • Luma (Black & White Resolution) = 3840*2160 (2048x1152 effective resolution)
  • Chroma (Colour Resolution) = 1920*2160 (1920x1152 effective resolution)

Maximum Potential of 4K 1.78:1 Master Source on a 4K Display | 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray

4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray with HDR10:

• 3840*2160
  • 10-Bit Colour (1024 Gradations of Red, 1024 Gradations of Green, 1024 Gradations of Blue = 1 Billion Colours)
  • HDR | High Dynamic Range w/ Static Metadata @ up to 4,000nits + 4:2:0 Chroma Subsampling
  • Luma (Black & White Resolution) = 3840*2160
  • Chroma (Colour Resolution) = 1920x1080
4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision FEL:
  • 3840*2160
  • 12-Bit Colour (4096 Gradations of Red, 4096 Gradations of Green, 4096 Gradations of Blue = 69 Billion Colours) >>Dithered to 10-Bit
  • DV HDR | High Dynamic Range w/ Dynamic Metadata @ up to 10,000nits + 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling (Lossless Reconstruction from Dolby FEL)
  • Luma (Black & White Resolution) = 3840*2160
  • Chroma (Colour Resolution) = 1920*2160

~4x the colour resolution (1080p Blu-ray is limited to 540p colour^), slightly higher black & white resolution, ~3x the bitrate, 30-40% better encoding efficiency, significantly smoother gradations with 14x the displayed colours and up to 985x the colours handed to the image processor, potentially better scaling, significantly higher dynamic range and a >'2x' increase in the coverage of human colour vision.

The only hard difference between a 2K & 4K DI on 4K UHD Blu-ray is 4x Black & White resolution; and potentially 2x the vertical colour resolution on a full spec Dolby Vision FEL disc.

Last edited:

Bojji

I like Paul be he doesn't know shit, he throws so much crap at the wall that something is bound to stick.

"I had one of my sources tell me it's 499, but a few others said it was going to be more than that... honestly I don't know".

Sarcastic Nancy Pelosi GIF by MOODMAN

They had good info before RDNA2 launch but for RDNA3 they were just bullshiting everyone...

But just based on pure logic and on what both Sony and MS are doing (price increases) this console won't be cheap and certainly we won't see the same situation as with PS4->PS4 Pro.

cybertailor

Neo Member
not really needing a PS5 Pro, but could be a big play for Sony if GTA 6 is somehow optimized for PS5 Pro and not launching on PC for a while.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Am I misremembering the AMD marketing slide for Dual Issue and capability for larger (regression) Matrix maths per clock cycle for AI, then?

As larger size matrix maths doesn't fit in as an advantage of what you described if I'm not mistake.

It was an AMD red slide with IIRC off-white illustration of large matrix throughput, and has been linked a few times in this hundreds of pages back
Read this...

was from a year or two back. Scroll down to the workgroup compute characteristics section. However, this is for RDNA3. We wont know what kinda improvements have been done with regards to RDNA4 or the PS5pro.

Mr.Phoenix

The main issue with AMD's current implementation of VOPD is the lack of VGPR banks/ports which leads to many conflicts and no real use outside of hand tuned kernels.
Well... to be fair, they didn't fully ignore the VGPR, they claimed it was made 50% bigger than on RDNA2. But yes, still will serve up as a bottleneck though.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I only saw one box that was digital only but it looks like it will use the same detachable drive that’s currently sold.

It was an NDA I signed a year ago that expired on Sept 1st from visiting Sonys packaging facility
So the pro was ready in packaging a year ago?

Audiophile

I've probably posted this in one of the Pro threads already, so apologies for a potential repeat, but if I recall correctly, FP32 Adds can see an ~80% gain on Dual-Issue and FP32 Add-Multiplies can see a 20% gain. With most other operations showing negligible gains, about the same perf and even penalties in some cases.

I guess the question is what proportion of these operations make up the average set of operations at a given time in a given game/engine (my knowledge doesn't go anywhere near that deep)..

But, just as a purely hypothetical eg. let's say it's ~30% FP32 Adds and ~20% FP32 Add-Multiplies; then you'd see an 80% gain on that 30% and a 20% gain on that 20% resulting in 100% + 24% + 4%. If the Flops are 18TF Single-Issue, then that gives you a rough equivalent of 1.28x18 for a more realistic estimate of ~23TF.

That said, the "+45%" rendering figure throws a spanner in the works of that, but if is referring to what we think, then that's likely a limitation of the overall system bandwidth/throughput due to other bottlenecks.

Not all games are on the PC platform and I think most like myself don't want to wait 3+ years (if at all) for a game to come to PC when it's readily available on something else.
This is a fair point but the wait times have gotten shorter for PS exclusive games. Plus most people play 3rd party games which is usually released day one on PC.

Wow, fresh new perspective we've totally never heard before.... you should send Sony a message and not buy one. That'll teach 'em to stop screwing over customers by offering an additional OPTION into the market for those who are interested.
Some people truthfully aren’t aware that you will still have to pick between a quality or performance mode with a PS5 pro. If you think you’re getting native 4K with 60 fps with ray tracing from a $549 console … you are very uninformed.

The most you can hope for is a stable 1080p or 1440p at 60fps and to fork over another $549 to Sony for that is crazy when a much better option is available.

But to each is own, not going to derail the thread with anymore PC talk, just hope people become more informed.

Alebrije

700 is a lot on this economy , specially that by 27-28 when PS6 relases it could cost almost the same.
This is a fair point but the wait times have gotten shorter for PS exclusive games. Plus most people play 3rd party games which is usually released day one on PC.

Some people truthfully aren’t aware that you will still have to pick between a quality or performance mode with a PS5 pro. If you think you’re getting native 4K with 60 fps with ray tracing from a $549 console … you are very uninformed.

The most you can hope for is a stable 1080p or 1440p at 60fps and to fork over another $549 to Sony for that is crazy when a much better option is available.

But to each is own, not going to derail the thread with anymore PC talk, just hope people become more informed.
4k 60 fps with full Ray tracing maybe on PS6, at an affordable price.

Last edited:
Some form of packaging was ready

I don’t know if what I saw was retail or prototype or what

I have told people this many times the Pro was ready to go last year but Sony held off for whatever reasons

I think they wanted to give PSSR more time to cook

Probably AMD chip needed more time as well

Packaging tells us nothing about the actual hardware inside the box

Of course they had a PS5 Pro in their roadmap

XinTniX

My bet on PS5 Pro prices:

PS5 Pro 1TB | U$ 549
PS5 Pro 1TB (no disc) | U$ 499
PS5 | U$ 449
PS5 (no disc) U$ 399

Yeah, you'll be surprised!

The objective of the PS5 Pro is not to generate significant revenue through hardware sales but to reinvigorate PS5 platform sales and ensure its technical relevance for another 4 years.

Pop

PS5 Pro 1TB | U$ 549
PS5 | U$ 449
PS5 (no disc) U$ 399

The objective of the PS5 Pro is not to generate significant revenue through hardware sales but to reinvigorate PS5 platform sales and ensure its technical relevance for another 4 years.
As much as those prices would be amazing, just don't think that's possible

Rockeeo

PS5 Pro 1TB | U$ 549
PS5 | U$ 449
PS5 (no disc) U$ 399

I thought the point of the PS5 Pro was to sell new hardware to people that already own a PS5.

XinTniX

As much as those prices would be amazing, just don't think that's possible
I think it is. If you take the specs that people are talking about:

~Same CPU.
~Same amount of memory (with higher bandwidth).
+ Maybe 2GB of slower memory for features in the background.
++ New GPU.

So, most of the cost will come just from the new GPU. I think if Sony is aiming to sell the system with no loss but without significant profit, an extra U$50 over the current price will be more than enough.

Nobody cares about NATIVE 4K, not even on a $3000 PC right now

That's why PSSR is there in the first place

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That said, the "+45%" rendering figure throws a spanner in the works of that, but if is referring to what we think, then that's likely a limitation of the overall system bandwidth/throughput due to other bottlenecks.
I mean - obviously it's not referencing the TFlop delta. But this is also the first time we had a quote like that for a mid-gen upgrade, noone ever measured it for the past devices (or compared to paper-specs), people actually focused on results instead.

Also the same leak indicates resolution uplift in line with what PS4Pro did with its 2.3x TFlop multiplier so 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I think it is. If you take the specs that people are talking about:

~Same CPU.
~Same amount of memory (with higher bandwidth).
+ Maybe 2GB of slower memory for features in the background.
++ New GPU.

So, most of the cost will come just from the new GPU. I think if Sony is aiming to sell the system with no loss but without significant profit, an extra U$50 over the current price will be more than enough.
This is a good theory that has a big problem: the current price of PC parts. No way they are going to give you a capable 4K reconstructing machine for 550$ when building a similar PC is way more, and buying one pre made easily doubles that. Price isn’t about cost, is about value. And Sony will profit from that.

XinTniX

I thought the point of the PS5 Pro was to sell new hardware to people that already own a PS5.
I don't think so.

I believe that most people will not upgrade to the PS5 Pro, maybe around 25%. Most of the PS players are playing FIFA, Fortnite, and COD, and for these people, the Pro version will not make a significant difference.

I think those pro-systems are targeted toward a niche of players and are designed to keep the system "hot" in the market. All the trailers and threads will be focused on the PRO System etc...

Radical_3d

Any idea on what node the chip will be fabricated on?

The Pro seems to be slightly smaller than the original PS5 based on leaks but it’s got much beefier hardware. Makes me curious about the thermals as well.
Wait, why are everybody assuming he’s the real deal and making him questions? Did I miss the part where he is verified? Is in another thread?

XinTniX

This is a good theory that has a big problem: the current price of PC parts. No way they are going to give you a capable 4K reconstructing machine for 550$ when building a similar PC is way more, and buying one pre made easily doubles that. Price isn’t about cost, is about value. And Sony will profit from that.

PC and console markets operate under different business models. Consoles are traditionally sold at little to no profit, or even at a loss, with the real profits coming from the sale of games like Wukong and accessories such as Dual Senses.

On the other hand, Nvidia generates revenue directly from the sale of its graphics cards. Unlike consoles, GeForce is not a platform. This means that we might be paying double or even more than the actual cost of Nvidia GPUs.

Radical_3d

For me because of how he has answered questions. It’s the real Kepler or someone had really went through his timeline which would be a lot of trouble for what?
You mean there can’t be hardware enthusiasts that follow what that guy says in THE hardcore gaming forum?
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Top Bottom