• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Aaravos

Neo Member
Kepler_L2 is a great source and I think it's pretty cool we have him as a member. I personally don't agree with his 7700XT prediction or dependence of AMD hardware for use in PSSR as RDNA 3 already implements WMMA and Sony describes the ML architecture in PS5 Pro as fully custom. As far as PSSR vs DLSS, I believe PSSR will be superior at least in Sony 1st party titles.

Kepler_L2 is a great source and I think it's pretty cool we have him as a member. I personally don't agree with his 7700XT prediction or dependence of AMD hardware for use in PSSR as RDNA 3 already implements WMMA and Sony describes the ML architecture in PS5 Pro as fully custom. As far as PSSR vs DLSS, I believe PSSR will be superior at least in Sony 1st party titles.
Thanks for your reply dlss quality would great do you think we'll get something similar to Mark Cerny road to ps5 tech talk

Loxus

That was the phrasing used specifically under the ML section of the leak.
I believe you're looking to much into to it.

If it was a Sony only thing, they would of used the word bespoke instead of custom.

Custom refers to products or services made based on predetermined options or customer's requirements, while bespoke involves creating something entirely unique from scratch.

I have a hunch that when all is said and done, 7700XT will not be the GPU that is said to be PS5 Pro’s “equivalent”.

Only going off of everything we know at this current juncture, as well as the context of how the standard PS5 performs with its specs relative to PC.

My prediction is PS5 Pro’s GPU equivalent will be a step up from the 7700XT. Not a huge step up by any means, but a step up from that card.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

This is how you must look at it.
Bz9dID6.jpeg

The CPU itself isn't transferring any data, it's looking for data and the time it takes to find that data can hurt gaming performance.

This is why CPUs with 3D v-cache performs better in games, it has more L3 Cache to store the data it needs and doesn't have to look for it in DDR memory as often.

The PS5's CPU only has 8MB of L3 Cache, so it has to access the GDDR6 memory more often than desktop CPUs and to make it worse, looking for data in the GDDR6 memory can have high latency penalties than DDR memory. Around 250ns or more if I'm not mistaken.

Sony at least doubling the CPU L3 Cache can increase fps in games.

I for one hope Sony take a look at HBM for the PS6 like they did with SSDs. HBM4 seems to attempt to dramatically reduce costs by removing the interposer in favor of 3D stacking.
SK Hynix on track to explore interposer-free HBM4 production

And the latency is after L4 Cache.

Ahhhh... HBM. Next gen should finally be the gen.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
If it struggles to sell well due to high cost or low demand, will Sony support it or treat it like the PS VR?

kevboard

If it struggles to sell well due to high cost or low demand, will Sony support it or treat it like the PS VR?

both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro when they came out basically forced developers to support these consoles, even if it was "only" a slightly higher resolution or slightly higher settings. and it will be the same here.

also supporting a better console is WAY easier than supporting what is basically a completely different way to play games. all that devs need to do to support the PS5 Pro is change some settings basically.
the question is how good the support will be. and here third party devs basically have the advantage over Sony themselves, that they probably release a PC version too, and they already have way higher settings/assets/effects ready for that version that can be used in the Pro version.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It is. Which is insane to me at well below 4k and sub max textures. But with Alex saying 1800p DLSS DRS mode was "basically" a great 60fps experience suggests to me there are gpu limited scenarios where 3070 dropped below 60 and presumably internal resolution dropped to 900p.
Nothing insane about it. We've had 8 GB cards since 2016. There's only so much you can do to diminish the memory footprint. Ultimately, the game to even look decent will still take a sizeable amount of VRAM, even at 720p. You're likely talking 5GB+ for FW. Add High textures over low or medium which look like junk, and we probably get another 2GB. Then go from 720p to 1440p balanced, you add another 1GB and you're already over 8GB. 8GB really isn't much these days, especially for games with high-quality textures such as HFW. Plus, Nixxes' memory management isn't exactly the best on PC.
I expect it to fall short of it but PSSR to make up the difference.
But the 3090 also has DLSS, so the difference should remain?

Last edited:

orosballs

I have a hunch that when all is said and done, 7700XT will not be the GPU that is said to be PS5 Pro’s “equivalent”.

Only going off of everything we know at this current juncture, as well as the context of how the standard PS5 performs with its specs relative to PC.

My prediction is PS5 Pro’s GPU equivalent will be a step up from the 7700XT. Not a huge step up by any means, but a step up from that card.
possibly a custom gpu inbetween 7700xt and 7800xt?

One could say the same for Death Stranding which also runs on Decima engine. This is why I am very optimistic for DS2 running on PS5 Pro. I think this game could surprise people. I am expecting 4070S RT level of performance.
i expect 4080 performance for these specific games (as well naughty dog titles) but i know i will be called crazy

KT3wjzW.jpeg
HNo7AA9.png

Thus, we can see a design very similar to that of the PS5 Slim. The same white color will be found on the exterior of the console. 2 USB-C ports and the power button will also be present on the front of the console.

The first difference that we can notice in our sketch is the presence of three black bands in the middle of the exterior facades of the PS5 Pro. The type of exterior facade, however, remains similar to that of the PS5 Slim. And we imagine that it is possible to reuse the replacement front plates designed for the PS5 Slim.

The other difference that we can only see in the final image of the PS5 Pro has to do with its thickness. In fact, the PS5 Pro looks a little thicker than the PS5 Slim.

Unfortunately, we are still not sure about this point. Because indeed, the image we have comes from a PS5 Pro without a disc reader. However, although we think it will not be so, we do not know the existence of an edition with a disc player. Although it will undoubtedly be possible to add a disc reader (like the PS5 Slim).

We think it is rather a commercial choice of Sony to launch this console at a competitive price, reducing costs thanks to the presence (optional for some) of a disc player.
id rather sony go all in on the premium build quality and specs and make the console 699 without a disc drive

I want 699 without a disc drive
Why are you talking like we’re still in 2022?

At this point, the specs are set in stone, we have a very general idea of where the machine stands power-wise, and units are being produced and packaged as we speak.

Why hope for a high price? Right now we should be hoping for as reasonable of a price as possible, given the understood specs of the machine.

$699 without an optical drive would be absurd for the power leap we’re getting from the base PS5.

If this was a year+ ago when we didn’t know anything about the specs at all, I’d be right there with you saying

“Yeah, make it a high end premium console, Sony! A 4080-level beast for $799! Do it Sony!”

That’s not the reality of things as we sit here a few months from launch. We should be hoping for as cheap a price as possible. Given the alleged specs I think it shouldn’t cost a dollar over $599.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

At this point, the specs are set in stone, we have a very general idea of where the machine stands power-wise, and units are being produced and packaged as we speak.

Why hope for a high price? Right now we should be hoping for as reasonable of a price as possible, given the understood specs of the machine.

$699 without an optical drive would be absurd for the power leap we’re getting from the base PS5.

If this was a year+ ago when we didn’t know anything about the specs at all, I’d be right there with you saying

“Yeah, make it a high end premium console, Sony! A 4080-level beast for $799! Do it Sony!”

That’s not the reality of things as we sit here a few months from launch. We should be hoping for as cheap a price as possible. Given the alleged specs I think it shouldn’t cost a dollar over $599.
200.webp

you must not know him....

How many PS5 people have a game ready PC that they just need to slot a $500-$600 GPU into?

PC gaming has gotten way more expensive over the years unfortunately. A $750 PC build is pretty crappy. And that would be the price of the disc version.

id make it 699 discless & 780 with a disc bundle

because i dont believe the leaked specs if the leaked specs are true imo it has no business being over 499 discless

The thing is... if people wanted the best performance as soon as possible they probably wouldn't be buying consoles. They would constantly be upgrading their PC's.

If people want the best performance a console can offer then of course, buy a PS5 Pro when it launches. I'm planning to sell one of my PS5's and put the money toward a PS5 Pro when it launches. I'm not a hardcore gamer, though. I'm just a console gamer.

Agree and thats what im gonna do ...trading in a ps5 for a ps5 pro makes the monetary aspect not a big deal

We need to have a poll before this thing launches asking “Which Nvidia GPU will the PS5 Pro perform comparably to in raster?”

We already know the PS5 performs comparably to the 2070S/2080 in raster.

I’m personally of the belief it’ll perform more-or-less similar to a 4070. Anything less than that and it’s like…what’s the point of this thing?
in what games i see 4070 absolute worst unoptimized games 4070ti-super on average games and on heavily optimized exclusives like last of us or ratchet and clank 4080

Here’s where things start to become a little head-scratchy when you really start to think about a $599 digital edition Pro

The PS5 Digital Edition launched in November 2020 for $399, at roughly ~half the performance level of the top GPU released that same year (3090)

If PS5 Pro digital edition launches in November 2024 for $599, at roughly ~half the performance level of the top GPU released 2 years ago (4090)

….that seems like…pretty disappointing price/performance relative to where the PS5 stood at launch.
dont believe the leaks.

Nah. You’re missing the point.

I’m comparing relative price/performance. I made that pretty clear in my post.

A $599 PS5 Pro digital edition in 2024 that performs ~half as well as a $1600 GPU released 2 years prior

Is objectively a lesser value, all things considered, than a $399 PS5 digital edition in 2020 that performs ~half as well as a $1500 GPU released the same holiday season

I’m still getting the Pro at launch. I’m just pointing out some inconsistencies.
the pro is either going to be 499 discless or the leaked specs are wrong if its 599+

So you are comparing, at the time of these consoles releases, these consoles to top of the line GPUs that cost EASILY over $1,000 when new? To $400-$500 Consoles? LMAO!! I don't post much, but many members on this site are incredible. Entertaining shit.
you didnt understand what he said

AC Valhalla: It performs like a 2080. In line with the specs.

Black Ops: the alpha effects are like a quarter resolution on console and in full resolution on PC. They destroy performance.

Cyberpunk 2077: No?
ac valhalla performs in between the 2080s and ti when its not running into cpu limitations unsure where you got base 2080 from unless your referencing bugagia

First part sounds like a bit of copium not gonna lie, the new Cell, power of the cloud, or of the SSD, in reality it'll be a worse DLSS.

PS5 reserves 1,5 cores for it's OS for streaming or recording purposes for example, so 5600x is not 2 cores down, it's a better CPU than the Pro, no discussion there, just like 3600x was stronger than XSX/PS5 back in 2020 and it's still in 2024.

I only talked about a PC that was more powerful than the PRO, and that's what the 5600x + 4070 is, you'll always have more performance on average.
that setup is more powerful on the cpu side than the pro (if leaked specs are to be believed) not gpu

Zathalus

ac valhalla performs in between the 2080s and ti when its not running into cpu limitations unsure where you got base 2080 from unless your referencing bugagia
It performs slightly faster then a 2070 Super, roughly around what a 2080 would do. At no point does the performance match a 2080ti. And yes, the source is Digital Foundry, unless you have data that indicates otherwise?

that setup is more powerful on the cpu side than the pro (if leaked specs are to be believed) not gpu
According to the leaked specs, the 4070 will be more powerful then the pro. You are free to believe the specs are fake, but then discussion around what GPU is equal to the pro is pointless. It also comes off as hopium considering the number of different sources we have for the leak.

Last edited:

Render according to sketch.

I was laughing about Adidas strips, but if its true midnight black actually looks pretty sweet, definitely has more character than slim, if true since its not official.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It performs slightly faster then a 2070 Super, roughly around what a 2080 would do. At no point does the performance match a 2080ti. And yes, the source is Digital Foundry, unless you have data that indicates otherwise?

According to the leaked specs, the 4070 will be more powerful then the pro. You are free to believe the specs are fake, but then discussion around what GPU is equal to the pro is pointless. It also comes off as hopium considering the number of different sources we have for the leak.
Don’t bother. This guy has been told repeatedly to multi-quote, but he ignores it. He also claims the Pro will be on average on the level of a 4070 Ti and 4080 in exclusives. He comes back every few months in those threads to say nonsense and post 3-6 times in a row. Probably a troll.

Last edited:
Don’t bother. This guy has been told repeatedly to multi-quote, but he ignores it. He also claims the Pro will be on average on the level of a 4070 Ti and 4080 in exclusives. He comes back every few months in those threads to say nonsense and post 3-6 times in a row. Probably a troll.
His lack of ability to multi-quote really bothers me, I've had him on mute for a few months now.

Great news! I hope that this SOP will be legendary! TGO TGO hype train?
It is finally time! PSSR can't come soon enough. These blurry modern 3rd party titles on PS5 be it FSR or some weird AA implementation, always makes me question if my eyesight is going bad or is it just modern games, and on 1080p screen not 1440p or 4k screen....

Saw a video yesterday day about it- random pop up on yt

Some dev in the comment is saying that devs should apply proper steps to implement AA and we would actually have a clear image...

Sadly due to cost cutting or time, they don't do that and they just use AA or sharpen filters or FSR or whatever, they just choose "the drop in" solution. And call it a day.

Anyways, can't wait to see how good PSSR actually is on PS5 Pro, hopefully they will show some games and differences.

zapper

what does he mean by world premiere that he is waiting for? I hope it is not third party stuff like gta6, the only one that comes to mind for timing

I honestly hope it is ps studios stuff, also enough with these sup only supported by third parties and capcom lol (obviously there will be the release date of mhw)

Top Bottom