• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

larrybrady

Neo Member
Maybe that surprise game is from santa monica,,wasn't there a YouTuber the other day who visited them say that a project will be shown soon.. feel like we been hearing about this barlog game since the 1800's

Aaravos

Neo Member
Maybe that surprise game is from santa monica,,wasn't there a YouTuber the other day who visited them say that a project will be shown soon.. feel like we been hearing about this barlog game since the 1800's
Yeah just found that thread very interesting he's been teasing something for a long time

No_Cartridge

Neo Member
Jeff Grubb said on this weeks Game Mess: "I heard about a PlayStation State of Play in the last weekish of September, and they could have a PS5 Pro announcement there or can happen anytime before that."

PaintTinJr

I've see

They aren't going to make two different sku's for a disk drive... What ever they have on the market now will work for the Pro
True, but IMO if they even release a "Pro" without a physical drive in the box it suggest the current people at Sony don't understand the Sony consumer established understanding of the suffix Pro used with the Sony brand.

Pro on Sony products has always meant best version of that product in the entire range, meaning it incorporates or enhances all existing features of all models in that product range and adds even more. An all digital boxed retail PS5 'Pro' console as the only SKU that is inferior to +30M OG PS5 models is going to be a marketing fail IMO even if consumers still suck it up as it gives off credibility issue vibes for the eventual PS6 for the decent sized AAA physical buyers that get in early.

Last edited:
Yeah they're not releasing a digital only Pro the current set up is Ps4 digital at 449 and with disc is 499 , if there's no price drop I'm expecting Ps5 pro digital at 549 and disc 599. I just can't see Sony going over $600 but we'll see in due time, on the other hand with Series X 2tb at $599 we could be in for a sticker shock.

Zacfoldor

We get official confirmation that will be a new thread
Question. Do you think it is possible Sony will release PS5 Pro that will work with this detachable disc drive:

Think it would be worth having on hand just in case the device releases with detachable disc drive only? I figure this will be unobtanium for a year if that was announced so thinking of ordering one now just in case.

Edit: Shit sorry I see you answered above no one is sure.

Last edited:

Oh hello there

Oh boy... Floodgates are about to get open

Animated GIF

Preseznik

Neo Member
True, but IMO if they even release a "Pro" without a physical drive in the box it suggest the current people at Sony don't understand the Sony consumer established understanding of the suffix Pro used with the Sony brand.

Pro on Sony products has always meant best version of that product in the entire range, meaning it incorporates or enhances all existing features of all models in that product range and adds even more. An all digital boxed retail PS5 'Pro' console as the only SKU that is inferior to +30M OG PS5 models is going to be a marketing fail IMO even if consumers still suck it up as it gives off credibility issue vibes for the eventual PS6 for the decent sized AAA physical buyers that get in early.

If that's a real problem they can just bundle one with the drive addon.
There is near zero chance they ever do a hardwired drive SKU after they got us used to the idea with the slim line.

Could go for a last hurrah still, however. Wouldn't bet on it.

Mr.Phoenix

I actually think the opposite. The "Pro"sumer, is the person that is more likely to spend more money. They are the ones likely buying dual-sense Edge controllers. And I will have no issue plucking down another $80 for a disc drive attachment. They likely already even have one. They are the segment of their user base that is least influenced by cost. I don't know why you are there thinking that they are consumers looking for the best deal.
118 Pages and no official confirmation of the console's existence yet, disappointed!
This is a speculation thread... but Sony has pretty much confirmed it themselves though. There will be a new thread for when its officially announced. It won't even surprise me if someone jumps the gun and makes a thread about Sony putting a PS5pro image in their latest anniversary banner.
Yeah they're not releasing a digital only Pro the current set up is Ps4 digital at 449 and with disc is 499 , if there's no price drop I'm expecting Ps5 pro digital at 549 and disc 599. I just can't see Sony going over $600 but we'll see in due time, on the other hand with Series X 2tb at $599 we could be in for a sticker shock.
It would shock you. I am fully expecting them to release a digital-only Pro for $549. Asking them to release it with a disc drive is like asking them to release a console with two controllers. They went the route of making the disc drive detachable for a reason. Or going the extra mile of designing the pro to make it compatible with the PS5Slim face plates.

I have said it before and will now say it again, as far as I am concerned, in the eyes of Sony, physical media and its companion disc drive, have been peripheralized. For them right now, the people that want it are people that are looking to buy a peripheral like an extra controller, PS remote, camera, headset....etc. I mean... why would anyone expect them to sell the thing with a drive bundled in (cause that is what it now is, a bundle) when Sony can just as easily sell the drive separately?

Or more importantly, when you can actually go out right now and buy the drive it would use.... or even worse, when an argument can be made that you already have the drive it would use at home right now if you have a PS5 slim, and if you wanna sell that, then you just buy a digital SKU faceplate and take your disc drive out.

PaintTinJr

If that's a real problem they can just bundle one with the drive addon.
There is near zero chance they ever do a hardwired drive SKU after they got us used to the idea with the slim line.

Could go for a last hurrah still, however. Wouldn't bet on it.
But how does that fix their credibility that Sony's own idea of the best of PlayStation consoles (a 'Pro') is a model with no means of using physical media by default out of the box? and has similar vibes of controlling consumers in a negative way just the same as the Xbox One online requirement did and the XSS does, and projects the PS6 will look to kill physical media at launch.

Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix thinks this is about price, it isn't about that at all, because a £900 PS5 Pro with a drive by default and as the default model doesn't have that problem at all.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

But how does that fix their credibility that Sony's own idea of the best of PlayStation consoles (a 'Pro') is a model with no means of using physical media by default out of the box, and has similar vibes of controlling consumers in a negative way just the same as the Xbox One online requirement did and the XSS does, and projects the PS6 will look to kill physical media at launch.

Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix thinks this is about price, it isn't about that at all, because a £900 PS5 Pro with a drive by default and as the default model doesn't have that problem at all.
You see... the problem here is the narrative. Or how you guys are choosing to look at it.

There is a disc drive attachment. Its an official SKU. You can buy it from anywhere right now. This notion that the PS5pro will have "no means of playing physical games" only holds true and gets relevance when you add the next line "out of the box".

What you are asking for is the equivalent of a deal. Ther is a means to play physical games on the PS5pro. And if you want it bad enough, you can even buy the disc drive before the console is even announced.

PaintTinJr

You see... the problem here is the narrative. Or how you guys are choosing to look at it.

There is a disc drive attachment. Its an official SKU. You can buy it from anywhere right now. This notion that the PS5pro will have "no means of playing physical games" only holds true and gets relevance when you add the next line "out of the box".

What you are asking for is the equivalent of a deal. Ther is a means to play physical games on the PS5pro. And if you want it bad enough, you can even buy the disc drive before the console is even announced.
No IMO, you aren't following Sony's own long standing narrative of a 'Pro' device and the narrative of the future they projected at the launch of the PS4 and the launch of the PS5 with the mainline OG PS5 SKU.

Had they made the drive a peripheral for the launch of the PS5 I would have seen the writing on the wall and skipped the console completely, which is now my stance on a PS6 unless the Pro by default ships with a drive in the box.

They are just about to celebrate 30years of PlayStation with the most significant part of their software DNA tied in physical media and their idea to celebrate is to do the opposite of making a Pro that can play everything on disc from every generation of those 30years to pay homage to the past greatness and instead drive more aggressively with plans to kill off physical media, really?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

No IMO, you aren't following Sony's own long standing narrative of a 'Pro' device and the narrative of the future they projected at the launch of the PS4 and the launch of the PS5 with the mainline OG PS5 SKU.
Right off the bat... this is wrong. Because there isn't any "long-standing narrative". This is the second "Pro" console they have ever made. And secondly, maybe you didn't see it with the start of this gen, butthe writing was on the wall... they launched this gen with TWO SKUs. One with and one without a disc drive. If that didn't tell you what was coming... then I am sorry.
Had they made the drive a peripheral for the launch of the PS5 I would have seen the writing on the wall and skipped the console completely, which is now my stance on a PS6 unless the Pro by default ships with a drive in the box.
They didn't do that then, but probably because they didn't have the time to do it. But the mere fact that they made two SKUs centered around a disc drive... which was a first in PlayStation history... was writing on the wall enough.

And while I cant (nor wont) tell you what to do with your money, I don't see the sense in what you are saying. Digital distribution is going to become the primary form of distribution... that has been an inevitability since almost 2 decades ago when it became, the defacto distro model on the PC. We are now even at a point where a game will be released digitally and then the physical release comes later. If that's your cue to walk out of gaming, then that's ok... and your choice... for me, I have just seen it coming ages ago. If for nothing else, its simply that it just makes sense.

A disc drive is the most redundant thing shipped in consoles today.

And that is just facts.
They are just about to celebrate 30years of PlayStation with the most significant part of their software DNA tied in physical media and their idea to celebrate is to do the opposite of making a Pro that can play everything on disc from every generation of those 30years and drive more with plans to kill off physical media, really?
You are associating too much to what a Pro console is. How about this, you say what you say.. and sony just says, the Pro is compatible with every peripheral we have made for the PS5. Including the disc drive.

The thing is, you can't sell a PS console without a controller. Because that would mean that out of the box you cannot play anything. But you can sell it just fine without a disc drive. Like why should I pay extra for a PS5pro because someone wants to get up and slot a disc into it? That person should be the one paying more. Not me. If playing on discs is that important to you, then just buy the disc drive add-on. This is the entire reason it was made a peripheral.

And mind you, nothing stops them from making a founder's launch edition PS5pro that they sell for $650 that comes with the base model PS5pro (which would likely retail for $550, and a disc drive add-on in the box.

My guess is that the second that is announced, we will see people like you saying they would just buy the digital version and buy the disc drive separately lol.

Don't get me started on the disc drive/digital thing. Cause left to me, we are so focused on there being a disc drive that we are oblivious to the fact that this is the time for us to be setting down the rules. Eg. No reason why a physical game and a digital game should cost the same. Or, we would be better off if we are allowed to make physical "back-up" copies of our digital games that we can play on any PS as long as we sign in first....etc.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Right off the bat... this is wrong. Because there isn't any "long-standing narrative". This is the second "Pro" console they have ever made. And secondly, maybe you didn't see it with the start of this gen, butthe writing was on the wall... they launched this gen with TWO SKUs. One with and one without a disc drive. If that didn't tell you what was coming... then I am sorry.

They didn't do that then, but probably because they didn't have the time to do it. But the mere fact that they made two SKUs centered around a disc drive... which was a first in PlayStation history... was writing on the wall enough.

And while I cant (nor wont) tell you what to do with your money, I don't see the sense in what you are saying. Digital distribution is going to become the primary form of distribution... that has been an inevitability since almost 2 decades ago when it became, the defacto distro model on the PC. We are now even at a point where a game will be released digitally and then the physical release comes later. If that's your cue to walk out of gaming, then that's ok... and your choice... for me, I have just seen it coming ages ago. If for nothing else, its simply that it just makes sense.

A disc drive is the most redundant thing shipped in consoles today.

And that is just facts.

You are associating too much to what a Pro console is. How about this, you say what you say.. and sony just says, the Pro is compatible with every peripheral we have made for the PS5. Including the disc drive.

The thing is, you can't sell a PS console without a controller. Because that would mean that out of the box you cannot play anything. But you can sell it just fine without a disc drive. Like why should I pay extra for a PS5pro because someone wants to get up and slot a disc into it? That person should be the one paying more. Not me. If playing on discs is that important to you, then just buy the disc drive add-on. This is the entire reason it was made a peripheral.

And mind you, nothing stops them from making a founder's launch edition PS5pro that they sell for $650 that comes with the base model PS5pro (which would likely retail for $550, and a disc drive add-on in the box.
Sony have been using the Pro(consumer) and Pro moniker with their camera ranges and TVs for decades with the HandyCam DCR-VX1000 probably being the watershed moment of Pro-consumer and the Bravia KDL-40X2000/3000 TVs that launched the PS3 HD generation with their Bravia Pro chipset.

Pro monikered Sony devices are the ones that will almost certainly have the biggest number of features unused, so buying a Pro console with a built-in disc drive that doesn't get used is to be expected. just like the PS3 60GB and earlier they had everything from SACD players, PS2 GS or GS and EE on the board, SD and MagicGate memory card readers, etc that virtually no-one used, but the device is still premium compared to the slims and super slims, and most importantly for the most high value of early adopter consumer that is the target market for their Pro consoles.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Are those new stripes on the side gonna be led lighted? for ventilation purposes? Or just silly plastic lines? Place your bets

Last edited:

bryanee

I don't think it will have a disc drive built in but I do think it'll be compatible with the disc drive they already sell and it can be bundled with it if needed. I'm ok with that if it means Im paying a little less.l for what is going to be a costly product.

saintjules

Gold Member

It hasn't been mentioned in any of the leaks what the SSD size is right? If it's 2TB then I can definitely see it at $599 or over.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have fun with your family, and thanks again for all the hype trains you did in the past!
I'll still be around but I ain't gonna have time for the Train with all the updates it'll need 😞
But I'll be checking in from time to time.

I've just got back from Animal Kingdom and it's 9:15.
Btw The Avatar ride is pretty good 👍

Since for a long time? Those who said 2060S were always morons. 2070-2080 has always been the range. Shit games might see its performance drop to 2070-level and well-optimized games will perform in the ballpark of a 2080. The usual is 2070S. The 2080 is like 10% faster than the 2070S. Not a big difference As for the 6700 XT being 30% faster, I don't think so. The PS5 is generally agreed to perform like a 6700. The 6700 XT is just 16% faster than the regular variant.

9% faster than the 2070S according to Richard. Before you say RT, it's just RT shadows. Once again, ballpark of a 2080. Seems pretty normal to me.

Those two games perform about 10% better than the 2070S. They're not exactly huge outliers and fall within the expected range. Now if they performed like a 3060 Ti, it'd be a different story.

Regardless, that extra 10 % wouldn't boost the quoted 45% (or the specs) figure to 4070S level. Heisenberg said 4070 in general and the 4070S is 21% faster. In Sony games like TLOU Part III, I'm sure it'd be possible (unless they figured out how to better optimize for PC). In third-party games though? Given how little devs care about squeezing every last drop of performance out of consoles, I wouldn't bet on it.

I still say 4070. 4070S for third-party games sounds insanely optimistic.

We will likely get concrete news very soon though. I honestly can't wait to see what it can do. Been waiting for months to get one that will hopefully be bundled with a TV during Black Friday, but I'm probably getting my hopes up.
most of these tests were done when the 2080 was paired with a cpu nearly 3x the power of the ps5 one (and imo not the best optimized games)

I'm not sure how much console-centric development is nowadays to be honest with you. I often hear about lead platforms and the like, but I've never actually seen a developer say how the whole process works. There are examples such as Callisto Protocol where Sony assisted in the development, but this doesn't seem to be the norm.

Given the fact that so many games nowadays don't even make use of the PS5's features, I have a hard time believing it's the lead platform for most of them. We still see long-as-hell load times, little use of the hardware-accelerated decompression, a myriad of titles not featuring any kind of rt, and really, nothing coming all that close to Sony's first-party games barring a few exceptions. If I were a betting man, I'd say most devs target low to mid-spec PCs as the lowest common denominator. Too many games just aren't that well-optimized on consoles. It's definitely not like in the past. Admittedly, this is all conjecture that I cannot prove one way or the other. I simply feel that if consoles were at the forefront, we'd get games that run much better than this, and not shit like Skull & Bones dropping to 720p using FSR.
i agree with everything you say here thank you for the reasoned post

I don't get the issue with using charts, diagrams, etc.

When I was in college, the tutors often utilized multimedia and would advise us to use it if possible as it is easier than writing on the chalkboard and the students will get a better understanding visually with images than with texts or verbally when teaching a class.
what did you study?

It drives me insane to read people's nonsense when they say "why are we rushing to PS6, this generation just began, etc." Seven years is the norm, and I do not understand why people seem to think otherwise (some people at least). I actually think seven years is TOO long, PS1 being 5 years was the sweet spot to me. The 8 year Switch nonsense is idiotic, I haven't touched my switch since TOTK and it is because I just cannot stand the graphics on a 4K OLED TV (not to mention no HDR or Dolby Atmos). The longer the generation the more I dislike it toward the end. Then again, I'm also the kind of person who would pay pretty much any price for a new console every year like I do with iPhone. To each his own I suppose. Now, I realize that those of us on NeoGaf are largely old farts, many of us in late 30s, 40s and 50s with some 60s mixed in. Given that is the case, we also have far more disposable income to buy things that younger folks cannot. Perhaps the people who are screaming "it is too early" are youngsters in their late teens and early 20s who may live paycheck to paycheck in which case I should have more sympathy for them. . .maybe I SHOULD BUY one of them a PS5 Pro as a gesture of goodwill to help sway their way of thinking.
im all for a 699 pro as long as the specs back it

Top Bottom