• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

what does he mean by world premiere that he is waiting for? I hope it is not third party stuff like gta6, the only one that comes to mind for timing

I honestly hope it is ps studios stuff, also enough with these sup only supported by third parties and capcom lol (obviously there will be the release date of mhw)

It's gotta be...

200.gif

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You and I have completely opposing experiences with PC gaming in the last 25 years.

I went to a friend for a gaming session. It actually turned into two guys trying for three hours to connect three Xbox controllers and a third party controller to a PC so we could play bro force on a TV.
We didn’t play Bro Force that night.

A week later we got to my place and we were all having a great time 5min after everyone arrived and had fun with Bro Force on a PS5.

Shit like that happened to me all the time on PC. PC enthusiasts just seem to ignore all the time they spend editing .ini files, setting shit up, finding the best settings etc.

With age I just lost the will to do any of that. Console on and that is that.

IDWhite

This is how you must look at it.
Bz9dID6.jpeg

The CPU itself isn't transferring any data, it's looking for data and the time it takes to find that data can hurt gaming performance.

This is why CPUs with 3D v-cache performs better in games, it has more L3 Cache to store the data it needs and doesn't have to look for it in DDR memory as often.

The PS5's CPU only has 8MB of L3 Cache, so it has to access the GDDR6 memory more often than desktop CPUs and to make it worse, looking for data in the GDDR6 memory can have high latency penalties than DDR memory. Around 250ns or more if I'm not mistaken.

Sony at least doubling the CPU L3 Cache can increase fps in games.

I for one hope Sony take a look at HBM for the PS6 like they did with SSDs. HBM4 seems to attempt to dramatically reduce costs by removing the interposer in favor of 3D stacking.
SK Hynix on track to explore interposer-free HBM4 production

And the latency is after L4 Cache.

I'm not saying that the Ps5 CPU moves data. It doesn't. What I'm saying is that it benefits from having several coprocessors and SRAM that are dedicated to doing a multitude of things that on a PC have to be done on the CPU. This makes the cache requirements within the CPU lower and its use is also optimized.

Console CPUs can offset high latencies with the enormous bandwidths they have available. Of course that will affect the performance of the GPU. But since they are closed systems, the balance of memory and bandwidth usage can be made much tighter.

Obviously more cache is always better, but in the case of current consoles it is much more necessary on the GPU.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
what does he mean by world premiere that he is waiting for? I hope it is not third party stuff like gta6, the only one that comes to mind for timing

I honestly hope it is ps studios stuff, also enough with these sup only supported by third parties and capcom lol (obviously there will be the release date of mhw)
It could just be Death Stranding 2 or like TheRedRiders TheRedRiders said GoT2 but it could be a surprise as well :)

Bitstream

Lets see what current gen Uncharted looks like on PS5 pro! Naughty dog's ps4 games still look better than a good chunk of what is released today, eager to see how they'll push the boundary further.

King Dazzar

Lets see what current gen Uncharted looks like on PS5 pro! Naughty dog's ps4 games still look better than a good chunk of what is released today, eager to see how they'll push the boundary further.
I wonder if they'll patch that or just allow you to use the VRR unlocked mode. Which already gives iirc native 4k (or very close to it) but will just run with a higher frame rate.

Bitstream

I wonder if they'll patch that or just allow you to use the VRR unlocked mode. Which already gives iirc native 4k (or very close to it) but will just run with a higher frame rate.
Ah I should have been more clear, I mean a new, built from the ground up, PS5 only Uncharted. They have been doing incredible work in TLOU, but the game is such a gray, depressing slog

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would you say the folks that said its coming out in 2025 are
Hanging Season 5 GIF by NBC
I normally would bet large sums of money when I feel confident and right now I am 50/50 on me being correct so I wouldnt bet the house right now but it is from Naughty Dog

Next week?
Yeah we are likely getting a blog post next week on the 9th or 10th with a deeper dive right before TGS

For this I would bet a large sum of money on :)

Loxus

I'm not saying that the Ps5 CPU moves data. It doesn't. What I'm saying is that it benefits from having several coprocessors and SRAM that are dedicated to doing a multitude of things that on a PC have to be done on the CPU. This makes the cache requirements within the CPU lower and its use is also optimized.

Console CPUs can offset high latencies with the enormous bandwidths they have available. Of course that will affect the performance of the GPU. But since they are closed systems, the balance of memory and bandwidth usage can be made much tighter.

Obviously more cache is always better, but in the case of current consoles it is much more necessary on the GPU.
Why are you still talking about the I/O Unit when it's about CPU accessing Data on the GDDR6 memory.

The I/O Unit is only responsible for data coming off of the SSD and going to the GDDR6 memory.

In the case of bandwidth vs latency.
Bandwidth is the amount of data you can send and receive in one second. Latency is the amount of time used by data to reach its destination and come back.

In the case of the CPU, the time used to access data in GDDR6 hurts CPU performance, whereas adding more CPU cache can improve fps.

What's so hard about that for you to understand?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I normally would bet large sums of money when I feel confident and right now I am 50/50 on me being correct so I wouldnt bet the house right now but it is from Naughty Dog

Yeah we are likely getting a blog post next week on the 9th or 10th with a deeper dive right before TGS

Ok... so just 4-5 more sleeps to go.

So there could be a chance we'll see Naughty Dog's new IP this month ? Afterwards it is certain that Naughty Dog unveiling it's new game running on PRO would inevitably have a big impact.

Interesting, I would have rather bet on GOT 2 given the TGS but thank you as always for sharing things with us.

Aaravos

Neo Member
I wonder if this romured 1st party game is naughty dog it's been such long time since we've heard anything from that studio

ThisIsMyDog

Token Maker is an engaging and strategic game that revolves around creating and managing virtual tokens within a dynamic digital economy. Players assume the role of entrepreneurs in a futuristic marketplace, where they design unique tokens with various properties and uses. The game challenges players to balance supply and demand, set token values, and navigate market fluctuations to achieve success. With its emphasis on economic strategy and innovation, Token Maker offers a blend of creativity and tactical decision-making, making it a captivating experience for those interested in the intricacies of digital economies and asset management.
This changed my life.

twilo99

Gold Member
I went to a friend for a gaming session. It actually turned into two guys trying for three hours to connect three Xbox controllers and a third party controller to a PC so we could play bro force on a TV.
We didn’t play Bro Force that night.

A week later we got to my place and we were all having a great time 5min after everyone arrived and had fun with Bro Force on a PS5.

Shit like that happened to me all the time on PC. PC enthusiasts just seem to ignore all the time they spend editing .ini files, setting shit up, finding the best settings etc.

With age I just lost the will to do any of that. Console on and that is that.

I spent a lot of hours fiddling with PCs at various “Internet cafes” across Europe playing on LAN often taking advantage of the “night shift rate” which was basically an overnight gaming session. I’ve hooked up multiple PC lan parties at small apartments that end up packed with people playing star craft and Quake for days.

I grew up with PC gaming and can tell you with absolute certainty that what we have today is exponentially better than what it used to be on the technology side of things. We could only dream about something like Windows 11 back than and properly working drivers lol

Last edited:

Bitstream

I spent a lot of hours fiddling with PCs at various “Internet cafes” across Europe playing on LAN often taking advantage of the “night shift rate” which was basically an overnight gaming session. I’ve hooked up multiple PC lan parties at small apartments that end up packed with people playing star craft and Quake for days.

I grew up with PC gaming and can tell you with absolute certainty that what we have today is exponentially better than what it used to be on the technology side of things. We could only dream about something like Windows 11 back than and properly working drivers lol
drivers and the like are easier than ever, but along the way we also have forced sign ups and launchers within launchers; trying and failing to play the blackops beta this past weekend was a stinging reminder that PC gaming still has its' frustrations. As a whole though, PC gaming in 2024 is easier and more accessible than it has ever been.

zapper

I have mentioned before there is supposedly a surprise game dropping next year and the Pro state of play would be a good place to show it off
but do you have any clues or is it pure speculation? I would honestly never expect anything from nd next year

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
but do you have any clues or is it pure speculation? I would honestly never expect anything from nd next year
Thats where it kind of falls in the 50/50 category if I can be honest

It goes back probably a year or so when some of us were talking about the Pro and ND was brought up as wanting to have a game to show off on it

Pretty sure we mentioned it here on one of the Pro threads even but maybe thinking Discord chats

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Man, I remember downloading Quake over Emule at “easy-cafe” in the middle of the night and play with these buddies all night long.

Good old times. But I just don’t have the will to ever do anything like that again :D

I couldn’t even bring myself to compare components to build a gaming rig these days.
Sony brings out a new console, I buy it online and that’s it. If you told that to young me I wouldn’t believe it.

It goes back probably a year or so when some of us were talking about the Pro and ND was brought up as wanting to have a game to show off on it

Pretty sure we mentioned it here on one of the Pro threads even but maybe thinking Discord chats

Really curious to see Naughty Dog's next project, based off their comments it's definitely not TLOU3 (thank fuck)... rumour is that it's a medieval fantasy IP which would be so cool.

Would be great if they released factions 2 but just didn't do some sort of GAAS with it. Just release as is and don't expect much support\updates after that.

Top Bottom