• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Radical_3d

We are in the promised week! Praise be to Cerny King!
We are in the promised day!
+_cea64cfecbdc33aeb29c363c233d8b69.png

That's disingenuous though. As it cannot output at 8k. The HDMI bandwidth is limited to 32Gbps. This is why for example when out putting 4k 120hz it has to drop its chroma. I'm hoping the Pro gets updated 2.1 spec, not for 8k, but to allow full chroma at 4k 120hz.
It could output at 8k using DSC - which afaik the PS5 could be enabled in Software, I don't know why Sony haven't chosen to do it, probably because it wouldn't have pushed people to buy HDMI 2.1 TV's for 4K 120hz.

King Dazzar

It could output at 8k using DSC - which afaik the PS5 could be enabled in Software, I don't know why Sony haven't chosen to do it, probably because it wouldn't have pushed people to buy HDMI 2.1 TV's for 4K 120hz.
I'm not sure about all the ins and outs of DSC with regards to the 32Gbps limit (my TV uses it to get 8k 60fps within its 48Gbps spec), but its moot as its not an option today on the PS5. It was always rumoured that they may increase bandwidth via a firmware update - but that hasn't happened to date. Do bear in mind I have an 8k TV, so I'll be the first to let you guys know if an 8k output option were to ever be available/selectable. I always find this chart useful:
KDA5wU8.jpeg

King Dazzar

King Dazzar King Dazzar this calc is pretty good https://www.murideo.com/hdmi-21-bandwidth-calculator.html

But DSC doesn't add any latency and it's pretty much undetectable to the human eye.
Technically I guess you could potentially have 8k 30 at the limit of the 32Gbps without DSC. But anyway they haven't done it. As I say, I just hope they increase the bandwidth on the Pro to give full chroma at 4k 120hz. That I imagine would give us better/full chroma in VRR and 40fps modes too.

Last edited:

kevboard

You right, everyone else wrong. Youre not complaining you just educating stupid fanboys. Lmao listen to yourself :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You do know the architecture on this isn't RDNA3 right? There's not a single AMD GPU currently running in this one.

It’s 3-4x higher.
#Team36TF.

so... I assume we all saw the presentation.
all the leaks were basically 100% on the nose.

the jump from base to pro is exactly what anyone who looked at the data with a levelheaded mindset would expect. the smallest jump from base to pro so far

raytracing that's still far from being fast enough to allow anything close to AW2 pathtracing. their only real showcase here was RT during gameplay in GT, and fidelity mode RT at 60fps in Insomniac games, which is exactly what I expected.

GPU perfomance improvements that are mainly there to support PSSR in order to get a 4k like image.

and small memory and cpu speed increases to support the improved raytracing.

I didn't downplay anything, I kept expectations in check. it doesn't matter that Sony has access to newer AMD hardware, it's still AMD and it is still low power hardware compared to AMD's high end PC cards, none of which can do what some somehow expeted the PS5 Pro to be able to do

Last edited:
raytracing that's still far from being fast enough to allow anything close to AW2 pathtracing. their only real showcase here was RT during gameplay in GT, and fidelity mode RT at 60fps in Insomniac games, which is exactly what I expected.
Just in case, but we watched the same presentation and I just saw Hogwarts running at 60 frames per second in fidelity mode with what seemed like Ultra raytracing preset. Take a look at what GPU (and CPU) can pull that off at Native 1440p resolution, you might end up surprised.

Last edited:

kevboard

Just in case, but we watched the same presentation and I just saw Hogwarts running at 60 frames per second in fidelity mode with what seemed like Ultra raytracing preset. Take a look at what GPU (and CPU) can pull that off at Native 1440p resolution, you might end up surprised.

you didn't watch the same presentation then ot seems. Because it ran at 30fps...

also no resolution has been given. just that it will use better raytracing than the current version.
this could run at 900p internally and then be upsampled by PSSR. we don't know

Last edited:
you didn't watch the same presentation then ot seems. Because it ran at 30fps...

also no resolution has been given. just that it will use better raytracing than the current version.
That would make no sense, the whole point of the presentation was to sell fidelity modes at 60 frames per second with added raytracing. If they didn't even stay true to that during the literal presentation, that's irrational. Also, we know PSSR is designed to work around 1080p and 1440p resolutions from the leaked documents, if it makes it seem more realistic you can choose the former but since it's AI upscaling native res no longer truly matters.

Last edited:

kevboard

That would make no sense, the whole point of the presentation was to sell fidelity modes at 60 frames per second with added raytracing. If they didn't even stayed true to that during the literal presentation, that's irrational.

the stream was 60fps, and many of the clips used were 60fps. Hogwart's was 30fps in the presentation. which makes sense because it's CPU intensive and the CPU barely gets an upgrade

SolidQ

Another major feature being announced today is PSSR or PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution which is an AI-driven upscaling method. XDNA 2, the same IP that is powering the NPU for AMD's Strix Point APUs will be used to handle the AI processes on the PS5 Pro

XDNA2 NPU for AI

the stream was 60fps, and many of the clips used were 60fps. Hogwart's was 30fps in the presentation. which makes sense because it's CPU intensive and the CPU barely gets an upgrade
I suppose... But there was also older pre-release footage of stuff like Alan Wake 2, so I'm not too keen on that. Let's see what this does in a proper test, but even 30 frames per second with Ultra raytracing on that game with 1080p-1440p native resolution is somewhat huge.

kevboard

I suppose... But there was also older pre-release footage of stuff like Alan Wake 2, so I'm not too keen on that. Let's see what this does in a proper test, but even 30 frames per second with Ultra raytracing on that game with 1080p-1440p native resolution is somewhat huge.

Alan Wake 2 will probably get an update with 1 or 2 RT features at 30fps,
and a prettier 60fps mode.

Howarts I'd assume 1080p 30fps upsampled to 4k with decent RT, but we don't know if it is ultra settings, just "improved", which could mean anything tbh

kevboard

Nope, definitely 60fps. Panning balcony scene especially is a dead giveaway.

I am currently not near my PC, so I can not verify it.
Anyone who is on a PC right now, watch the timestamp in this post 👇 and skip frame by frame by using your , and . keys on your keyboard

Yup, it was 30 6:42 timestamp

if every time you press it a new frame is visible, it's 60, if only every 2 skips a new frame is visible it is 30

edit: never mind, sachos sachos did exactly that and verified it.

but it was pretty obvious to me on my phone screen at full speed already tbh

Last edited:

kevboard

fair enough, however I played this on performance mode so 60fps is still possible regardless of CPU. So whatever upgrades the PS5 Pro can add here will help hugely.

Raytracing increases CPU load considerably. and the 60fps mode on consoles was already unstable due to the CPU load.

so a raytracing 60fps mode would be near impossible to pull off due to that bottleneck alone.

the slight overclock they are adding to the Pro will definitely however help to make the 60fps mode run with less stutters. and I assume the image quality will also take a big step up if they plan to implement PSSR.

Last edited:

welshrat

Retracing increases CPU load considerably. and the 60fps mode on consoles was already unstable due to the CPU load.

so a raytracing 60fps mode would be near impossible to pull off due to that bottleneck alone.

the slight overclock they are adding to the Pro will definitely however help to make the 60fps mode run with less stutters. and I assume the image quality will also take a big step up if they plan to implement PSSR.
Yeah it was the PSSR I was referring to to be honest. VRR ran it fine on my TV. We don't really know what impact the RT has yet on the Pro so will be interesting to see nonetheless, if they could get a 40z mode looking similar to that trailer that would be amazing.

Last edited:
This is litteraly this two shit on why PS5 Pro is overpriced at 700$.

Who fking cares of WiFi 7?

And why 2TB when you can add SSD Expansion later. PS5 games not gonna be more sized.
WiFi 7 is very important in my environment where the WiFi is very congested, I can use the 6 ghz channel though with zero interference. I was literally going to get one of the new series x consoles if they upgraded the WiFi from WiFi 5 but they didn't.
2tb should also be standard in my opinion game install sizes are ridiculous now so thats nice too.

bitbydeath

so... I assume we all saw the presentation.
all the leaks were basically 100% on the nose.

the jump from base to pro is exactly what anyone who looked at the data with a levelheaded mindset would expect. the smallest jump from base to pro so far

GPU perfomance improvements that are mainly there to support PSSR in order to get a 4k like image.

and small memory and cpu speed increases to support the improved raytracing.

I didn't downplay anything, I kept expectations in check. it doesn't matter that Sony has access to newer AMD hardware, it's still AMD and it is still low power hardware compared to AMD's high end PC cards, none of which can do what some somehow expeted the PS5 Pro to be able to do
It appears to be a 2-3x jump as I had suggested. Less than a 3090, greater than a 4070 with PSSR further muddying the waters of what it can achieve. We can put to bed dual issue as an issue too.

kevboard

It appears to be a 2-3x jump as I had suggested. Less than a 3090, greater than a 4070 with PSSR further muddying the waters of what it can achieve. We can put to bed dual issue as an issue too.

this 2-3x jump can still not be compared to Nvidia's Raytracing.

there are Nvidia cards that run RT slower in some games compared to the PS5. but then you try actually heavy Raytracing loads like Cyberpunk or Alan Wake and suddenly the 7900XTX gets completely destroyed by an RTX20 series card.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
4 times the RT performance huh guys? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Cerny literally repeated the leaked specs posted in this thread. 45% faster GPU and 2-3x faster RT. He just left out the bit in the parenthesis where he said he saw some instances where it was up to 4x faster.

But if we are to assume that he was 100% correct about the 45% faster GPU, why arent we believing him on other things where the Pro does have some redeeming qualities?

We also had examples from the leaked docs where they literally said that a game that had one RT effect can now add two and run at 60 fps. All of this is in this thread.

xukJly0.jpg

Cerny literally repeated the leaked specs posted in this thread. 45% faster GPU and 2-3x faster RT. He just left out the bit in the parenthesis where he said he saw some instances where it was up to 4x faster.

But if we are to assume that he was 100% correct about the 45% faster GPU, why arent we believing him on other things where the Pro does have some redeeming qualities?

We also had examples from the leaked docs where they literally said that a game that had one RT effect can now add two and run at 60 fps. All of this is in this thread.

xukJly0.jpg
because the PRO is the current meme... it's expensive so logic is out of the window

RoboFu

One of the green rats

xukJly0.jpg

he said 2 maybe 3 ... MAYBE 3 in very certain situations.

Top Bottom