• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

Senua

Gold Member
4090 in triple SLI configuration
Tim And Eric Drinking GIF

kevboard

more complicated and depends on dev implementation and usage of PSSR.
Ranges from not much of an upgrade to better then what a 7800xt can do if game has no or bad FSR implementation.

that depends on how it compares to XeSS

the DP4a XeSS quality is pretty good nowadays. I am currently using it on my Steam Deck to get Gori running at 90fps on decent settings, and it looks really good even at such low resolutions.

so the question then also becomes: How does the quality compare to XeSS, how does the performance impact compare to XeSS, and how broad will the coverage of XeSS be in the future?

Last edited:

Zathalus

7700XT level in regular rasterisation with better RT performance and ML upscaling. The best comparison on the market right now is the 4070. It’s not perfect as the 4070 will still be faster, but until the 8700XT comes out it is the best we’ve got.

I wouldn’t use any RDNA3 cards as a comparison point, as they have slower RT and worse ML capabilities.

Last edited:

SolidQ

Much better CPU cuz u gotta have some self respect after all
Where NPU price and also Sony SSD price?(not PC ssd)

7700XT level in regular rasterisation with better RT performance and ML upscaling. The best comparison on the market right now is the 4070.
I think more fair RX 6800, because same CU/Bus, and bandwith 500gb+ and clock's almost same

Last edited:

Akuji

Sure, 90%+ of my playtime is on PC, but with that PC as well, there are some things u rather want a PS5 Pro.

Altough PS5 Pro at Release is the worst price/performance when u compare it to a PC so making People aware of that is overall a good thing.
I just dont get the constant comparison of an open system like a pc and a closed system like a ps5 pro, pretty much everyone knows their usecase and what device suits them more.
No need to constanty nag them about it. But for information purpose thats a pretty good list, the Thermalright CPU Cooler as well, perfect bang for buck performance.

Still missing a Windows key ( a few bucks on a key seller ) and a Mouse + Keyboard and if you wanna play with controller instead, that as well.

Akuji

that depends on how it compares to XeSS

the DP4a XeSS quality is pretty good nowadays. I am currently using it on my Steam Deck to get Gori running at 90fps on decent settings, and it looks really good even at such low resolutions.

so the question then also becomes: How does the quality compare to XeSS, how does the performance impact compare to XeSS, and how broad will the coverage of XeSS be in the future?
True but that complicates more things, Theres also a frame gen application that u can use on pretty much everything. But if you want to list all the options u could possibly use ...
how the fuck would u even get that into one comment :D

Taycan77

Neophyte
I already own a 2 year old budget laptop that does all the work & media tasks I need.

I have 10 years worth of PS4/5 digital titles and PS+ collection.

I sold my PS5 for approx. £280, so will need to pay out another £400 for a top tier PS5 Pro, that will play Sony's best for the next half dozen years.

Oh, and i have a big TV and comfy couch.

Or I can pay £1,500+ for all the complexities and hassle of PC gaming.

Tough choice.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
soooo with the official announcement what are we looking at roughly bs pc?

7700xt?

7600x?
there is currently no AMD card that can do what the PS5 Pro is doing with RT and AI upscaling.

In standard rasterization, its equivalent to a 6800 non-xt version. im not too familiar with where 7000 series card land, but it should be way faster than 6700xt and way slower than a 6800xt with that 45% improvement.

in terms of RT, probably around 3070. 3080 in games that favor AMD architecture.

SeraphJan

Its not a straightforward comparison

On the GPU side, It will resemble RDNA4 that will release later, 7700 XT isn't exactly accurate.

CPU wise, when you are aiming for 4K, its typically GPU bound, the spec of PS5 Pro only make sense when taking this into context.

I would say around $1000 price equivalent of a PC (needs to take that 2 TB storage, peripherals and the potential cost of 8700 XT into consideration).

However the $300 price difference needs to account for cheaper overall game prices for the PC platform.

Adding $80 for a disc drive for the PS5 Pro you unlock the ability of reselling completed games.

But PC gaming has mods and free online.

The equivalent spec of PC will likely consume much more power, life time electricity cost and noise are other factors to consider (better cooler would also mean more cost).

They just don't replace each other, PC or PS5 Pro, the overall value is hard to quantify.

How exactly does PSSR perform is also a major key factor, we would have to wait for benchmark after the console release. Console typically optimize game differently compare to PC version, there is that as well.

That being said, although those who does not already own a standard model might have incentives to buy a PS5 Pro, but at least for me I do not see the appeal of buying the mid gen upgrade while ditching my original PS5 for what it offers and what it costs.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I hate these kinds of comparisons, both systems are different and offer different virtues. Boiling it down to dollars and cents misses the value of both.
These kinds of comparisons are for people thinking about building a PC with more or less the same power as the PS5 Pro.

Sooner

people forget always about gog.com. Yes, its digital as well...but you can put every copy of yr game there on a disc, on a usb stick...even on floppy disks if you like, just put it where you want...et voila...you got a physical copy! :messenger_winking:
NFpolex.gif

twilo99

Gold Member
Sure, 90%+ of my playtime is on PC, but with that PC as well, there are some things u rather want a PS5 Pro.

Altough PS5 Pro at Release is the worst price/performance when u compare it to a PC so making People aware of that is overall a good thing.
I just dont get the constant comparison of an open system like a pc and a closed system like a ps5 pro, pretty much everyone knows their usecase and what device suits them more.
No need to constanty nag them about it. But for information purpose thats a pretty good list, the Thermalright CPU Cooler as well, perfect bang for buck performance.

Still missing a Windows key ( a few bucks on a key seller ) and a Mouse + Keyboard and if you wanna play with controller instead, that as well.
I just did it real quick a few weeks ago, so yes, I missed a few things and I'm sure a better build is possible.. this is just a rough estimate for people who are wondering how it might look like.

I'm using a Thermalright cooler on my 5800x3d and it works really well indeed

Here is another take but I dunno that's too much

I hate these low effort twitter posts. Includes a disc drive in the PS5 cost like it's mandatory, despite physical PC games being basically non existent. Doesn't bother even trying with the SSD as he only uses a 1TB.

Then throws what screams #ad with that game pass comment. Game Pass on PC is an infuriating experience.

I'm not saying that PS5 Pro is a good value (Jesus Christ $700?!?!), but these posts annoy me.

hinch7

Around a 7700XT as many predicted and rumored to be. Better RT though. Though in CPU limited games it will get trounced by PC equivelants.

You can get a pretty decent PC around £800 - I put one together in a few minutes - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/34B2pB

Intel Core i5-12400F
ASRock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4 Micro ATX
Patriot Viper Elite II 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20
Patriot Viper VP4300 Lite 1 TB PCIe 4.0
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB
Thermaltake S100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 V2 FULL MODULAR 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total - £825.31

Add in an OEM copy of Windows for a tenner and its not far off. And a few more for peripherials KB+M etc.

Edit: Oof looks like the 7800XT (was £414) sold out at that price. Motherboard sold out on Amazon so extra cost on added delivery. Modified list to reflect that. With new GPU sourced, £858.91.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You see... no one can do this without being disingenuous.

Fitrrst off, PS5pro GPU is more like a 4070. Which is a $600 GPU. then you should also be getting a 2TB SSD. And no need to splurge on the CPU... keep it consistent. You will still find that you are spending a lot more on the PC that you seem to think that every console gamer would rather be playing.

Then you would start saying some shit about deals and free online....etc.

Hohenheim

7700 xt if combined with a old Zen 2 cpu, perhaps.

A 7700 today is typically paired with a Zen 4 cpu, and alongside 32gb of fast ddr5 ram, I don't think the ps5 pro has a chance when comparing fps / resolution combo.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You see... no one can do this without being disingenuous.

Fitrrst off, PS5pro GPU is more like a 4070. Which is a $600 GPU. then you should also be getting a 2TB SSD. And no need to splurge on the CPU... keep it consistent. You will still find that you are spending a lot more on the PC that you seem to think that every console gamer would rather be playing.

Then you would start saying some shit about deals and free online....etc.
In fairness, even the 4070 isn't quite equal. If the 45% claims are to be believed, then it's not that one either. The equivalent will come out with AMD's RDNA4 parts, and I'd wager it's going to be around $400 USD.

For now, you cannot build a PC that really matches it. PS5 Pro falls into a weird place where it should be slower than a 4070 in rasterization but much faster than a 7800 XT in RT. No real point in trying to build a comparable PC for the moment at least.

Top Bottom