• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

rkofan87

Gold Member
Because on PC you have options? All digital on consoles is asking for trouble, especially with the shitty moves Sonys making when they started limiting even discount codes on PSN and Keys for titles are now non existent. Not to mention if you want online it's 80/yr now, so in 4 years that's another 320 to add to the lifelong cost of the console.
and getting band off psn locking you out of your digital games.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Do you really think it runs at 8K60 flat? Or are there a couple of little things not being mentioned?

I stayed consistent on the 8k stuff.

Ok I am 100% convinced that DLSS equivalent or better AI upscaling is in PS5 Pro after watching this DF video It's "interesting" to me that DF laughed off the 8k rumors but they had no problem spending time to make a video on 8k DLSS performance and visual benefits running on a 3090.

Key Highlights.

1. Most beneficial for raster games since upscaling (especially from lower res) introduces artifacts on RT effects like reflections.

2. 1440p internal resolution upscaled to 8k provides better IQ than Native 4k w/TAA in most instances. DS had texture bug issues in Alex's testing

M1uefiZ.jpg

3. 4k internal resolution upscaled to 8k IQ is perceptibly better than 1440p DLSS upscaled to native 8k (which itself is better than native 4k), but doesn't look quite as good as native 8k

hK1fmWX.jpg

Here's my guess on how things play out: I don't think we will even have an option to turn AI upscaling on/off. It will always be on by default. Games that currently run at native 4k/30 on base PS5 will now be upscaled automatically to 8k output. RT/Raster uplift of PS5 Pro will allow these games to hit minimum 60fps. Games that currently run at internal 1440p for performance can also be upscaled to 4k or 8k (unclear to me if 60fps+ introduces more latency pressure on AI upscaling especially since 1440p is much further from 8k) and run 60-120 fps.

My hype is through the damn roof now. I imagine we can easily get 100-120fps with better than native 4k IQ at minimum for most last-gen and cross-gen games such as GoW Ragnarok, Forbidden West, etc.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I stayed consistent on the 8k stuff.
You do. So 8K running from an unknown internal resolution. Doesn't tell us much. If I tell you I'm running a game at 4K60, but then it turns out that it's actually 4K DLSS Performance, I should add an asterisk to it, shouldn't I?

I don't doubt it performs better than a 7700 XT, especially in a first-party game, but the 8K claims are dubious because we'd laugh off anyone running a game at 1080p/1440p upscaled to 8K.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
How many people will actually be playing GT7 at 8k60, though? It's gonna be a while before most people are set up for that.

My contention is comparisons to 7700xt. The RDNA card will never produce PS5 Pro equivalent image quality and performance primarily because of tech gap and memory setup.

Eszti

Banned
its a racing game, racing games are very easy to run. simple marketing. a 4090 will run that game natively at 8k 60 it would not suprise me. with DLSS easily. So a Ps5 Pro with dlss like upscaling and roughly half the speed of a 4090 yes is see that absolutely possible. Ultra performance is internally 1080p, upscaling cost like 15-20% performance so we are seeing roughly 1300p 60 fps what it needs to render internally. PSSR 8k Ultra Perfomance.

Dlss looks awesome in 8k dlss ultra performance

ChiefDada

Gold Member
its a racing game, racing games are very easy to run. simple marketing. a 4090 will run that game natively at 8k 60 it would not suprise me. with DLSS easily. So a Ps5 Pro with dlss like upscaling and roughly half the speed of a 4090 yes is see that absolutely possible. Ultra performance is internally 1080p, upscaling cost like 15-20% performance so we are seeing roughly 1300p 60 fps what it needs to render internally. PSSR 8k Ultra Perfomance.

Dlss looks awesome in 8k dlss ultra performance

Um no? Why would PS5 Pro be rendering internally at 1300p when base PS5 already runs native 4k 70-90fps??

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
Um no? Why would PS5 Pro be rendering internally at 1300p when base PS5 Pro already runs native 4k 70-90fps??
Because of PSSR and 8k Target. It will look better than native.

Lets give you an example.

1440p native vs 2160p DLSS Performance(1080p internally) The dlss version looks much better than 1440p native. because it has the huge pixel count of 2160p to work with. theres a reason native will die out, thats it. And 8k is a whole different level in pixel count 4x. even internally 720p would look better than 1080p native easily if not better than 1440p.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Because of PSSR and 8k Target. It will look better than native.

Lets give you an example.

1440p native vs 2160p DLSS Performance(1080p internally) The dlss version looks much better than 1440p native. because it has the huge pixel count of 2160p to work with. theres a reason native will die out, thats it.

The more data the AI model has to work with, the better the output. Again, since base PS5 can already handle native 4k ~80fps, It costs the Pro virtually nothing to maintain 4k internal render, then upscale to 8k from 4k. Going down to 1300p would be counterintuitive especially since you're not aiming to add heavy vfx such as RT. I've discussed all this before:

3. 4k internal resolution upscaled to 8k IQ is perceptibly better than 1440p DLSS upscaled to native 8k (which itself is better than native 4k), but doesn't look quite as good as native 8k

hK1fmWX.jpg

Eszti

Banned
upscaling costs performance. upscaling to 8k from 4k is impossible especially if they alos upped ratyracing. its a racing game so anythings possible but i wouldnt count on that. the pro is not that fast.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
upscaling costs performance.

Ok, and?

upscaling to 8k from 4k is impossible

I literally just showed you the 3090 doing it courtesy of DF analysis but ok.

especially if they alos upped ratyracing.

The pre existing 4k60 mode without RT now has RT in game on PS5 Pro. The 8k mode on the Pro replaces the 4k60 mode that was running on base PS5.

its a racing game so anythings possible but i wouldnt count on that. the pro is not that fast.

Whatever you say.

KyJRCwx.png

Closest with PS5 CPU being ancient (but at least build CPU is old enough to have its own CPU fan :ROFLMAO:). With keyboard+mouse ($20), controller ($40), and OEM Windows code ($20) it costs about $850. Three years of PS Plus could cover the difference in price. Steam Deck 2 is going to likely be the best value proposition for PC gaming in a year.

P.S. If the player wants an upscaling solution that is not dependent on developer then Lossless Scaling would add another $7.

Last edited:
I like how he assumes someone buying a PS5 HAS to have a disc-drive, but says go PC, which is basically all digital.

I'm not sure why PC gamers think we want to be PC gamers. It's not the money - I don't want to go back to PC gaming

Your statement sounds like you consider PC gaming a downgrade. PC gamers have the most freedom by far. Free online, Steam Cloud saves, easy to back up non-denuvo games, games as far back as the 80's and 90's still work, no rebuying games, new handhelds, etc. Linux/Proton support opens the door for a console like experience. Not to mention nearly every Sony and Microsoft game now ends up on PC.

Last edited:

Bojji

Ugghh the usual build me a PC for console price nonsense. This apples to oranges comparison and pricing has been going on since the PS2 and always has the same conclusion.

A PC is more expensive but can do way more than a console.

With PS5 Pro for the first time you get get very comparable HW for very similar price. This is strange, consoles were usually much better deal.

twilo99

Gold Member
KyJRCwx.png

Closest with PS5 CPU being ancient (but at least build CPU is old enough to have its own CPU fan :ROFLMAO:). With keyboard+mouse ($20), controller ($40), and OEM Windows code ($20) it costs about $850. Three years of PS Plus could cover the difference in price. Steam Deck 2 is going to likely be the best value proposition for PC gaming in a year.

P.S. If the player wants an upscaling solution that is not dependent on developer than Lossless Scaling would add another $7.

I think you win but really having to scrape the CPU barrel in order to march the latest and greatest console should not be celebrated so you are actually disqualified.

Skifi28

Your statement sounds like you consider PC gaming a downgrade. PC gamers have the most freedom by far. Free online, Steam Cloud saves, easy to back up non-denuvo games, games as far back as the 80's and 90's still work, no rebuying games, new handhelds, etc. Linux/Proton support opens the door for a console like experience. Not to mention nearly every Sony and Microsoft game now ends up on PC.
Some people just don't prefer PC gaming, I don't get this sort of evangelism going around: "No, it's better, convert you heathen." Just let people play where they like.

Last edited:

hinch7

I think you win but really having to scrape the CPU barrel in order to march the latest and greatest console should not be celebrated so you are actually disqualified.
Add $12 and bump that up to a 5500 and that would be a solid gaming build. That 4500 is even behind a 3600 in gaming.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Not optimized for TV play, no suspend/resume.

It’s going to be hilarious watching a bunch of people jump to cheap PCs and attempt to push a 1080p graphics card to 4k while juggling a keyboard on their lap.
It’s a PC, not a console. Why would you want it to be "optimized" for TV play or any of the other stuff you mention? Keyboards on their lap? They stopped making desks?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Ugghh the usual build me a PC for console price nonsense. This apples to oranges comparison and pricing has been going on since the PS2 and always has the same conclusion.

A PC is more expensive but can do way more than a console.
?

Thread is not about PC for console price. Just PC with the "same" power.

Not optimized for TV play
That a new one. LOL. Congratulations.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
Spending $800 on a console or $1000 on a PC, which let's not forget is much more than just a gaming machine, is a no brainer really...

Unless of course you need to play those Marvel games, in which case just buy the discless PS5, which is a MUCH better proposition compared to the "Pro"

Sooner

It's not a downgrade, but I don't consider it a superior experience. I built a high-end gaming PC a while back. I just found it cumbersome.

Kudos to you if that's how you want to game. I'll stick to PlayStation and Nintendo.

Spending $800 on a console or $1000 on a PC, which let's not forget is much more than just a gaming machine, is a no brainer really...

Unless of course you need to play those Marvel games, in which case just buy the discless PS5, which is a MUCH better proposition compared to the "Pro"
I'm not saying that I justify the price of the Pro, but How much to build that said PC for someone without any knowledge?

Last edited:

Bernardougf

For the hardware/price experts... this is a worse console bang for buck than the ps4Pro at the time of launch right ? ...

At 599 it seemed about right.. at 699 without the stand it just looks off ... Im not feeling the justification for this price tag. We sure must have someone savy here thst could break this price and try to explain

Last edited:

Interfectum

It’s a PC, not a console. Why would you want it to be "optimized" for TV play or any of the other stuff you mention? Keyboards on their lap? They stopped making desks?
If someone is trying to convince themselves a cheap PC is the way to go over a PS5 Pro due to price only it’s safe to assume they are looking for a console experience, no?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You do. So 8K running from an unknown internal resolution. Doesn't tell us much. If I tell you I'm running a game at 4K60, but then it turns out that it's actually 4K DLSS Performance, I should add an asterisk to it, shouldn't I?

I don't doubt it performs better than a 7700 XT, especially in a first-party game, but the 8K claims are dubious because we'd laugh off anyone running a game at 1080p/1440p upscaled to 8K.

Base PS5 runs native 4k 70-100fps. Why would PS5 Pro render at 1080p as opposed to staying at native 4k and upscaling from there? Genuine question because at this point I'm confused why people think this is marketing talk.

Gaiff

Base PS5 runs native 4k 70-100fps. Why would PS5 Pro render at 1080p as opposed to staying at native 4k and upscaling from there? Genuine question because at this point I'm confused why people think this is marketing talk.
Do you think it runs at 8K60? No. If it runs at 4K upscaled to 8K, that's the equivalent of DLSS Performance. If you don't mind them calling it 8K, then you shouldn't mind people calling the 4070 a 4K card when running DLSS Performance. I would because I'd never call 4K DLSS Performance 8K.

twilo99

Gold Member
I'm not saying that I justify the price of the Pro, but How much to build that said PC for someone without any knowledge?

You are right, we always ignore the part where someone actually has to put it together.. to be honest I never think about that, so there could be a hidden cost there.

It’s gotten much easier and there is a lot of resources out there, but I don’t know..

Bojji

Nobody thought these specs were possible on console.

6800 is on the market since 2020 and 7700XT (refresh) since last year (but tech is from 2022).

Edit: Oh and Zen 2 from 2019 lol. Plus GDDR6 from 2018.

Old tech on display, only things really new are newer RT hardware, ai hardware and PSSR software.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Do you think it runs at 8K60? No. If it runs at 4K upscaled to 8K, that's the equivalent of DLSS Performance. If you don't mind them calling it 8K, then you shouldn't mind people calling the 4070 a 4K card when running DLSS Performance. I would because I'd never call 4K DLSS Performance 8K.

Wait, but wouldn't it be 8K DLSS/PSSR Performance if it's native 4k upscaled to 8k? Anyways I think we're on the same page or close enough to it. No I don't believe it's running native 8k60fps, that would be a bizarre choice when PSSR is available.

bitbydeath

PS5 runs it at 4K, PS5 Pro would run it at a higher resolution, lets call it 6K, and then AI fills in the gaps to make it 8K.

Remember this is AI based now and not the old tech initially created back in the PS4 Pro days, of course we were going to see large improvements.

Not all games will run at 8K, it’ll be similar to how PS4 Pro attempted 4K.

StereoVsn

so the pro still wins 500$ more get a pro now if it was 100 to 200 more you pick.
It’s not $500. Over 3-4 years you will pay more for games on average and pay for online play and saves. By the time it’s done, going to be comparable cost.

PCs can also be upgraded piecemeal. So in a few years, you swap to a new GPU and you will probably be ok for a while and then maybe bump CPU or add more SSD space, etc.

Gaiff

Wait, but wouldn't it be 8K DLSS/PSSR Performance if it's native 4k upscaled to 8k? Anyways I think we're on the same page or close enough to it. No I don't believe it's running native 8k60fps, that would be a bizarre choice when PSSR is available.
Typo. 8K DLSS Performance is 4K input. Point is simply that we've always called the input and output resolution separately when they differ and we shouldn't start changing that now. I'm sure 4K upscaled to 8K looks every bit as good as native 8K, maybe even better, but we're data-driven. What we care about are the hard numbers. We can discuss the merits of PSSR (and I'm sure there will be) separately and then try to analyze how it stacks up to DLSS, FSR, and XeSS. As far as numbers go, we should remain consistent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom