• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

simpatico

7700 xt if combined with a old Zen 2 cpu, perhaps.

A 7700 today is typically paired with a Zen 4 cpu, and alongside 32gb of fast ddr5 ram, I don't think the ps5 pro has a chance when comparing fps / resolution combo.
I'll be surprised if the Pro outperforms a 7700xt system for CPU reasons. As for the PSSR, I mean maybe Sony is able to leapfrog Intel and AMD with their first iteration of scaling software. If they were working with AMD on it, sorry to tell them but AMD is pretty ass in that arena. FSR3 launch was preposterous. It's good to iterate on your stuff, but don't hype up what ended up being a ~10% increase in IQ to what is already the worst software scaling solution on the market.

kevboard

there is currently no AMD card that can do what the PS5 Pro is doing with RT and AI upscaling.

as for AI reconstruction XeSS exists.

PSSR will probably run faster than XeSS does on AMD cards, but it still is something AMD cards can do.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I like how he assumes someone buying a PS5 HAS to have a disc-drive, but says go PC, which is basically all digital.

If you built a PS5 library digital, then wow, risky move. I assume 90% of peoples on GAF with a PS5 are physical. You guys bitched so much for Xbox trying to go digital, its only fair that you walked the talk.

If you're entering PS5 ecosystem with PS5 pro, then no, needing a drive is unlikely. The whole "pro" reason to still have physical is to resell physical media, so if you're on consoles, I don't get it. Just like I'll never go digital only with Nintendo.

On PC you have no use to have a drive, its been like 100% digital for nearly 2 decades now. You save on day 1 purchases, but you won't be able to resell games. Unless you sell your account. Advantage though is that the library is full fucking bullet proof for backward compatibility. No full price from PS5 → PS6 for what is equivalent to a patch to have higher resolution and ultra settings like we saw PS4 → PS5.

I'm not sure why PC gamers think we want to be PC gamers. It's not the money - I don't want to go back to PC gaming.

They're proposing alternatives to a price proposal from Sony, some peoples will be interested, some not. Why is the discussion not allowed? You're literally in a thread for PC equivalent.

Ebrietas

I think you will find a PC has far more exclusives than any console.
I haven't found that. Plenty of major games don't get a PC release until years later. In some cases not at all. There's reason port begging is done almost exclusively by PCMR and not console players. Consoles are not wanting for games.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I haven't found that. Plenty of major games don't get a PC release until years later. In some cases not at all. There's reason port begging is done almost exclusively by PCMR and not console players. Consoles are not wanting for games.
Then start searching better. There are gazillions of games on PC that are not on PS5.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll be interested to see when its actually out. And seeing how PSSR works. I'm ready to get back to gaming a little on PS5.

Trogdor1123

These kinds of comparisons are for people thinking about building a PC with more or less the same power as the PS5 Pro.
Of course but it doesn’t change my comments. You cant print a word document from a ps5 or work on a spreadsheet. You also can’t drop on to a couch with an pc and jump right into a game with out the pc shenanigans. It’s not a criticism, it’s just not an apples to apples comparison and shouldn’t be seen as one.

Making it only about dollars and cents instead of services is short sighted. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I like how he assumes someone buying a PS5 HAS to have a disc-drive, but says go PC, which is basically all digital.

I'm not sure why PC gamers think we want to be PC gamers. It's not the money - I don't want to go back to PC gaming.
Because on PC you have options? All digital on consoles is asking for trouble, especially with the shitty moves Sonys making when they started limiting even discount codes on PSN and Keys for titles are now non existent. Not to mention if you want online it's 80/yr now, so in 4 years that's another 320 to add to the lifelong cost of the console.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
You can print a word document from a ps5 or work on a spreadsheet.
You also can’t drop on to a couch with an pc and jump right into a game with out the pc shenanigans. It’s not a criticism,

Tom Cruise What GIF

Here is another take but I dunno that's too much

This guys build is not really a comparison, as that PC would smoke the PS5 Pro, yet still has less storage (?!?).

Much better CPU cuz u gotta have some self respect after all

This is a much better comparison to the actual PS5 Pro, with possibly worse Ray Tracing (Honestly we won't know this until we actually see the PS5 Pro in action), double the memory, and with a smaller SSD.

I just tried making a version that has what I think is most comparable to the PS5 with high quality parts I would actually purchase if I were building the PC, and it came out similar to twilo99 twilo99 's version:

2024-09-10-14-59-20-Lord-Blodgett-Saved-Part-Lists-PCPart-Picker-and-6-more-pages-Personal-Mic.png

If I were trying to make a mid-range PC that was far more future proof and upgrade ready, but would absolutely smoke the PS5 Pro I would need to spend an additional $285 or so:

2024-09-10-15-35-49-Lord-Blodgett-Saved-Part-Lists-PCPart-Picker-and-7-more-pages-Personal-Mic.png

Bojji

Around a 7700XT as many predicted and rumored to be. Better RT though. Though in CPU limited games it will get trounced by PC equivelants.

You can get a pretty decent PC around £800 - I put one together in a few minutes - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Intel Core i5-12400F
ASRock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4 Micro ATX
Patriot Viper Elite II 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20
Patriot Viper VP4300 Lite 1 TB PCIe 4.0
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB
Thermaltake S100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 V2 FULL MODULAR 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total - £825.31

Add in a copy of OEM copy of Windows for a tenner and its not far off. And a few more for peripherials KB+M etc.

And this PC will raster games much faster thanks to better GPU and MUCH better CPU (like almost 2x).

TrebleShot

People do this all the time build ot then get upset when it doesn't run the ported games at better res and performance.

Console does not equal off the shelve PC parts.

Ebrietas

Then start searching better. There are gazillions of games on PC that are not on PS5.
The point is that the game library argument is not a straight win for PC. Heck, the sequel to the biggest game of all time will release exclusively on console without a PC release in sight. This isn't even including first party exclusives.

Rudius

7700XT level in regular rasterisation with better RT performance and ML upscaling. The best comparison on the market right now is the 4070. It’s not perfect as the 4070 will still be faster, but until the 8700XT comes out it is the best we’ve got.

I wouldn’t use any RDNA3 cards as a comparison point, as they have slower RT and worse ML capabilities.
The 4070 might be faster, but the PS5 Pro will be better utilized by Sony, we can be certain of that.

HogIsland

PC is all-digital, but open to any kind of distribution. Even with disc-less PCs, a publisher could easily put out physical media: a thumb drive.

A disc-less PS5 is locked down with DRM such that only software distributed through the PSN store will run.

If you're counting "physical media" as a defining feature of "console gaming", I got bad news for you.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
We dont know really if its rdna 3 or even 4. or 3 with rdna 4 Rt capabilities. but its on 4nm rumorwise which will give us this 45% more power at 200 watts.

i expect Rx 7700XT +(5-10%) in Sony exclusives it will be over a Rx 7800XT and Rtx 3080TI, Ps5 punches there also way above its specs in comparison to Pc.

But in all honesty comparting consoles to pc is apples to oranges in every case. there are games where the ps5 is barely beating an rx6600XT then there are games where its on an rtx 3070. thats 50% difference.

Maybe in future when apus getting much faster on pc like strix halo you can compare better but still. sonys api beats everything on Pc logically. Pc bruteforces pretty much every time. Consoles are work smarter not harder.

but yes i would taken a slightly underclocked 7800XT as a measure it has also 60 CUs. 5nm vs 4nm. slighty underclocked 7800XT equals Rtx 4070. just like in this video

SonGoku

soooo with the official announcement what are we looking at roughly bs pc?

7700xt?

7600x?
Close to 7700XT
You see... no one can do this without being disingenuous.

Fitrrst off, PS5pro GPU is more like a 4070. Which is a $600 GPU. then you should also be getting a 2TB SSD. And no need to splurge on the CPU... keep it consistent. You will still find that you are spending a lot more on the PC that you seem to think that every console gamer would rather be playing.

Then you would start saying some shit about deals and free online....etc.
From official claims +45% rendering and up to 3x RT puts it closer to the 4060Ti RT performance and 7700XT raster performance
I will still wait for a proper comparison from DF and such and hopefully im wrong (will happily eat crow) but so far i dont see it being anywhere close to a 4070
We dont know really if its rdna 3 or even 4. or 3 with rdna 4 Rt capabilities.
Its RDNA4, I suspect thats why Cerny did not mention RDNA arch because AMD hasnt formally announced RDNA4 yet.
Besides RDNA 3.5 is basically RDNA4 without RT improvements

Last edited:

hinch7

And this PC will raster games much faster thanks to better GPU and MUCH better CPU (like almost 2x).
Yeah for the most part will eat its lunch and then some. RT performance on the other hand should be interesting to see. A mid range chip like the 7800XT might even be able to brute force it and come to parity. Considering the difference between the CPU+GPU specs and performance.

MikeM

Gold Member
I already own a 2 year old budget laptop that does all the work & media tasks I need.

I have 10 years worth of PS4/5 digital titles and PS+ collection.

I sold my PS5 for approx. £280, so will need to pay out another £400 for a top tier PS5 Pro, that will play Sony's best for the next half dozen years.

Oh, and i have a big TV and comfy couch.

Or I can pay £1,500+ for all the complexities and hassle of PC gaming.

Tough choice.
What are these issues? I seriously think I have a unicorn PC as its been trouble free in two years of having it attached to my TV. HDR, 4k, and 120fps without issue.

I say that as someone with a PS5 as well. 🤷‍♂️

sachos

I think people are jumping the gun a little bit, we sadly have to wait for DF analysis to get some idea how good the PSSR and RT is compared to PC GPUs, the 7700 XT should have worse RT and has no AI features like the Pro.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The point is that the game library argument is not a straight win for PC. Heck, the sequel to the biggest game of all time will release exclusively on console without a PC release in sight. This isn't even including first party exclusives.
That's WoW and is PC only.

twilo99

Gold Member
This guys build is not really a comparison, as that PC would smoke the PS5 Pro, yet still has less storage (?!?).

This is a much better comparison to the actual PS5 Pro, with possibly worse Ray Tracing (Honestly we won't know this until we actually see the PS5 Pro in action), double the memory, and with a smaller SSD.

I just tried making a version that has what I think is most comparable to the PS5 with high quality parts I would actually purchase if I were building the PC, and it came out similar to twilo99 twilo99 's version:

2024-09-10-14-59-20-Lord-Blodgett-Saved-Part-Lists-PCPart-Picker-and-6-more-pages-Personal-Mic.png

If I were trying to make a mid-range PC that was far more future proof and upgrade ready, but would absolutely smoke the PS5 Pro I would need to spend an additional $285 or so:

2024-09-10-15-35-49-Lord-Blodgett-Saved-Part-Lists-PCPart-Picker-and-7-more-pages-Personal-Mic.png

Good job.

I've been trying to estimate and guess what a ps5 pro build would look like for a while based on rumors, etc. and there is really no way to get it under $900 at current price levels. We should revisit this in November I guess

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
It seems heavily dependant on PSSR to achieve its goals. Taking the Last of Us comparison, it’s doubling the framerate in fidelity mode by lowering the resolution from a fixed 4K (likely to 1440p) and then reconstructing with PSSR (with no perceptible difference in image quality).

For games that struggle to hit high resolutions in their fidelity modes, the uptick in frame rate will be less dramatic with a noticeable increase in image quality however.

twilo99

Gold Member
I think people are jumping the gun a little bit, we sadly have to wait for DF analysis to get some idea how good the PSSR and RT is compared to PC GPUs, the 7700 XT should have worse RT and has no AI features like the Pro.

The absolute authority that is Digital Foundry should build a PS5 pro equivalent PC and have at it... but we know they will never do that, instead, they will either compare it to something outdated or overpowered like a 4090 system

Last edited:

SonGoku

They confirmed GT7 running at 8k60 output and people STILL want to bring up a 7700xt smh.
Thats on them they chose to give vague performance targets such as +45% rendering and up to 3x RT. They were intentionally shallow with performance targets and did not talk about specs.
A 7700XT fits that description when compared to the PS5 equivalent GPU (rx6700).

If the Pro GPU is any better than that then this has to be the biggest marketing blunder

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's upscaling to 8k

With PSSR. Mark Cerny said up to 45% faster and up to 2x in RT. The base PS5 GPU is around a 6700. The closest GPU to that is a 7700XT.

Raytracing is still an unknown but raster should be in or abouts around that.

Yeah, and producing a better resolve than a 7700XT ever could. Y'all need to re evaluate what the purpose of chasing higher specs is for ... ACHIEVING HIGHER FIDELITY. That's like saying Nvidia cards only have better ray tracing because of tensor cores. Well duh. That's the whole point. To use better tech.

VAVA Mk2

Why are people using a 7700 XT when the Pro has much better memory, PSSR, and RT 2-3x faster than the PS5. There’s no exact match but the closest would be an RTX 4070.
I don't feel I am missing anything then with my 4070Ti 😎

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Outside of Nintendo, which isn’t the console being discussed the list of modern major games not on PC is next to nothing.

It’s also ground zero for every big indie game regardless of which console company gets it as a “console exclusive”.

Also talking about games you’d like to see on your platform, from publishers that are actively supporting your platform isn’t port begging.

Top Bottom