• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

hinch7

The magic word is machine learning upscaling, which the PS5 and Xbox unfortunately (just) missed in 2020. (I don't even want to start talking about hardware-supported image generation...)

DLSS can now upscale even a 720p image to 4k relatively smoothly, so the image quality is acceptable.
Idk man ultra performance DLSS (720P) at 4K looks really rough. Performance DLSS 4K (1080P) looks solid though and way sharper with more detail, than viewing the same content on an equivalent sized screen at native 1440P. I have a 32" 1440P and now own a 4K monitor and used both quite extensively.

Quality is when it starts to look like proper 4K.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Here is another take but I dunno that's too much

PC gamer clown show bullshit... So the PS5 Pro is $100 too much, so why not spend $500 more for less SDD space and no DS controller? Who is this aimed at? The console gamer mad that the PS5 Pro is $100 overpriced? So they also have to get a PC monitor too, right? So we are nearing double the cost of the PS5 Pro. lol

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Idk man ultra performance DLSS (720P) at 4K looks really rough. Performance DLSS 4K (1080P) looks solid though and way sharper with more detail, than viewing the same content on an equivalent sized screen at native 1440P. I have a 32" 1440P and now own a 4K monitor and used both quite extensively.

That even integer scaling.

Fair enough.

I usually also play in "quality" or "balanced" mode on my 65 inch 4k Oled.

But should, hypothetically speaking, games no longer run smoothly in a few years, I might as well play with "Super Performance" for some time. At least, till the next Gen of GPUs releases.

That would be roughly the current console image quality in many games :messenger_fire:

PC gamer clown show bullshit... So the PS5 Pro is $100 too much, so why not spend $500 more for less SDD space and no DS controller? Who is this aimed at? The console gamer mad that the PS5 Pro is $100 overpriced? So they also have to get a PC monitor too, right? So we are nearing double the cost of the PS5 Pro. lol
Actually, they can just use the same TV they would use for a PS5. Also, a lot of these builds choose upper mid-range CPUs instead of the bottom of the barrel CPU as found in PS5s. Additionally, they are stuck on that premium price Nvidia GPU train when PS5s use AMD ones. Worth considering are the extra expense of playing online on PS5 and cost of accessories for PC.

Last edited:
PS5Pro benchmark

lsUT7Lu.jpeg

DoomD

Neo Member
This is a interesting thought experiment. I think we might be too early to compare since the PS5 Pro isn't out yet and hasn't been tested plus AMD is set to soon release their new budget minded RDNA 4 GPUs which the pro GPU is likely based on. It would be a more interesting comparison once those cards are released and we see how close a good PC build would cost in comparison. That said another issue Sony might be dealing with is the Console/PC Gamer such as myself that was thinking a PS5 Pro would be a no brainer until the cost was $100 more than I was expecting....Now I'm thinking to myself do I really want to trade in my current PS5 and pay an extra $400 to get a PS5 Pro or do I sell my RTX 4070 and get the RTX 5070 or 8700XT...I'm kinda leaning towards the PC upgrade to be honest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is a interesting thought experiment. I think we might be too early to compare since the PS5 Pro isn't out yet and hasn't been tested plus AMD is set to soon release their new budget minded RDNA 4 GPUs which the pro GPU is likely based on. It would be a more interesting comparison once those cards are released and we see how close a good PC build would cost in comparison. That said another issue Sony might be dealing with is the Console/PC Gamer such as myself that was thinking a PS5 Pro would be a no brainer until the cost was $100 more than I was expecting....Now I'm thinking to myself do I really want to trade in my current PS5 and pay an extra $400 to get a PS5 Pro or do I sell my RTX 4070 and get the RTX 5070 or 8700XT...I'm kinda leaning towards the PC upgrade to be honest.

If you have a decent PC, the GPU upgrade or switch 2 is an absolute no brainer to me.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. If the PS5 pro came with the disk drive and stand I'd probably stretch to it, but I think this pricing is a serious fuck you to the console gaming fanbase. I just cant get my head around the pricing. They must be making a couple of hundred dollars profit per each one of these sold. It completely goes against previous console gaming eco system/models.

Maybe this is the new norm, but if it is ill just be 100% PC going forward.

Bojji

Do you play on PS5 without connecting it to any display?

One advice. Never, ever, skimp on the PSU.
It's the most important component in any PC. In part for performance, as a bad PSU can throttle components. And a good PSU can save some electricity.
But the main reason is for stability and safety. A bad PSU can cause crashes and at worst, it can damage components.

40$ is not enough for a good PSU. At least save around 100€ for it and get a reputable brand.
I think $100 is excessive unless you’re using high end components. But this is one good example of why many stay far away from PC gaming. The fact that you can fry your PC unless you get the right power supply.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Do you play on PS5 without connecting it to any display?

Dude, now you're taking disingenuity to insane levels. TVs are an entertainment staple in most households, meaning you're not waiting to pick up a console before you buy one. Can't say the same for a damn gaming PC, which is why I chuckle when PC Musty Race says desktop PC is multi-purpose. No the fuck it isn't; the overwhelming majority of people choose laptops for their PC needs. Why? Because we left 1996 a looooong time ago, but you damn PC nerds wouldn't know that sitting on your ass refusing to step outside!

diablo 3 pc GIF

Station 19 Oops GIF by ABC Network

twilo99

Gold Member

Once again, the big deal here is the new price point of the professional console, which allows for a PC build to be very close in terms of price and performance, and this will only get better once AMD and Nvidia ship their "next gen" GPUs in the next ~6 months?

Currently you are stuck with 7700/7800xt, 4070, or maybe even a 3060ti, but remember that you are pairing those components with an appropriate CPU and not something from 5 years ago.

Bojji

Dude, now you're taking disingenuity to insane levels. TVs are an entertainment staple in most households, meaning you're not waiting to pick up a console before you buy one. Can't say the same for a damn gaming PC, which is why I chuckle when PC Musty Race says desktop PC is multi-purpose. No the fuck it isn't; the overwhelming majority of people choose laptops for their PC needs. Why? Because we left 1996 a looooong time ago, but you damn PC nerds wouldn't know that sitting on your ass refusing to step outside!

diablo 3 pc GIF

Station 19 Oops GIF by ABC Network

Last time I checked you need 120Hz 4K tv to fully use all features of PS5, I bet many families have them lying around somewhere for years!

You need display for PS5 just like you need display for PC, you can use monitor for PS5 and tv for pc - but you need something...

I have PC and PS5 connected to the same 4K OLED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom