• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

Shane89

I see, but these multiplatform games, like Hellblade 2 or Alan Wake 2 are currently the best looking games uhm.

Also, future Sony games will be made for a specific console called Playstation 5, then upscaled to Pro.

And i saw DF's video of Horizon: FW and they compare it with a 2070s saying it's pretty similar, just a few drops in cutscenes and a few other moments, no big difference, and if you talk about the 4K 30 FPS version, that's not some console secret sauce, that's called 8GB GPU struggling with textures, but the 4070 and the 7700xt-7800xt are all 12gb-16gb VRAM cards.
Best looking, true, but how are the performance? Surely not how they could be it they were exclusive to a single console (which is what sony is famous for. There is a reason if most of the best looking games out there are made by their studios).

Future games will be made specifically for both console.

adamosmaki

Why are people using a 7700 XT when the Pro has much better memory, PSSR, and RT 2-3x faster than the PS5. There’s no exact match but the closest would be an RTX 4070.
Sony themselves said 45% better rasterization performance . Ps5 base is already well tested and performs identical to a 6700 ( non xt ) so that 45% better means 7700xt rasterization performance
Having said that there isnt a real equivalent until rdna4 launches

mdkirby

Dude, I have a 4070 Super which is supposed to be mid-range and I'm playing all the new stuff at 4K (DLSS) and 60fps.

Also, whatever happened to your friend (assuming he's a real person) is not the norm in any way.

Arizona Circle GIF by Rooster Teeth
I had similar experiences many years ago. Not bought a pc myself for a long long time now. Showing up to a private workshop with apple devs and designers and slapping down a pc was humbling, I went to Apple the next day and came away £3500 lighter.

That said I did have similar problems to my friend. My pc from day 1 had issues, and generally deteriorated each year. My last big build I built for oblivion, specifically to play it on high spec. It got delayed a year, by which point all it could manage was medium settings.

As for my friend, he never did buy a ps5, several weeks and patches later, things were just about bearable…80% of the time. He’d levelled up too much too, and our general interest in regularly playing declined. We’ve not played in a couple months. None of his issues are monetarily driven tho, and is a programmer and earns well enough, so reasonably competent with such stuff 🤷‍♂️

Best looking, true, but how are the performance? Surely not how they could be it they were exclusive to a single console (which is what sony is famous for. There is a reason if most of the best looking games out there are made by their studios).

Future games will be made specifically for both console.
Performance's good? And there are some Sony games this generation already, they don't look better than AW2 for example.
Sony themselves said 45% better rasterization performance . Ps5 base is already well tested and performs identical to a 6700 ( non xt ) so that 45% better means 7700xt rasterization performance
Having said that there isnt a real equivalent until rdna4 launches
Exactly, we are comparing to older PC GPU's right now since the AMD's 8000 and Nvidia's 5000 series are some months away still (or less in the latter case), comparisons will be easier then, but the 8700XT won't be over 500$.

mdkirby

I smell BS. I doubt about a delay so long even for someone living in the middle of the Antarctica.
Dude, it was 20 years ago, all I remember was saving up to spend £1500 about 6-12 month before its planned release, on a rig that should played it on full spec, it was delayed, by the time it came out it was still buggy and chuggy on medium spec.

None of this is a factor on consoles, the game will look the same for everyone, and the thing runs the same today as it did 5 years ago…tho my ps3 did sound like a rocket ship for a year or so 🤷‍♂️

welshrat

I really think people need to wait to pass judgement on this thing. I know the price is high and I am preordering regardless however no one has even seen how well this performs yet. It take could be quite an incredible but if kit even at 699

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My pc from day 1 had issues
Did you complain to the store? Did you built it yourself? A computer having issues day 1 isn't normal.

and generally deteriorated each year
Was it made of chocolate or something? What does this mean? :goog_relieved:

I've got many PCs over the years and only laptops could deteriorate, but never to a point of performing worse than before. Just stuff like temperatures going higher or the battery running out faster.

My last big build I built for oblivion, specifically to play it on high spec. It got delayed a year, by which point all it could manage was medium settings.
I don't understand what you mean by the delay. The game got delayed or was it the PC?

My first actually kinda good PC also was for Oblivion, although I got it a few years after release. Worked very nicely until I fucked it up by playing too much with overclocking to play The Witcher 2, think the PSU wasn't able to take it and died.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
f5a9e888726ee0d9d7c36181d6280f3d.gif

Dude.. wtf, IQ on the Pro looks already absolutely insane here and it's a goddamn YT video.

This same footage looked ridiculous on the OG stream. Part II footage made cringe in particular, but here looks legitimately unreal. Damn.

Horizon looks very good there as well.

Reactions: XXL

yurinka

soooo with the official announcement what are we looking at roughly bs pc?

7700xt?

7600x?
There's no equivalent because it includes some custom AI stuff that will end used in RDNA4/5, to do AI upscaling in an Nvidia DLSS way.

Last edited:

Bojji

I had a bash and I'd say this would be pretty close and I'll add some justification as well. I did try and make it fit in a micro case but I don't have enough time so just went with a default case for the purposes of the experiment. List is here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FgJ6TY

cMZIf3.jpg

I included a monitor on the assumption one would be needed just so a complete price was visible. Happy to knock it off though which bring the price down to £1295 if using no used parts. And for the record I don't think used parts should be allowed unless you allow a trade in price of a PS5 against the Pro.

CPU is generally comparable and has more oomph. Don't think there would be much disagreement there
CPU Cooler I've opted for the Dark Rock Pro (rather than the Noctua D15). Again, we're going for comparable and the PS5 focused on producing a whisper silent console which it is
Motherboard, memory and M2 are all pretty standard fair. Went for a specific PCIE 4, 2TB 2280
The GPU I think again is comparable to the PS5 Pro given it needs an extra lift for those RDNA 4 features. I did think about the 4070 Super as it has best in class DLSS to rival PSSR but that would bump the price up more
PC case again focusing on complementing the noise and also factoring in a bit of offset of not using SFF
PSU pretty standard
Windows License
*Not shown* DualSense @ £60 as well, and a flat £50 for a mnk combo

Which brings that out at retail ~ £1,345
With noctua D15: £1,400
With 4070: £1,450

PS5 Pro (700$) + LG 4K OLED (1000$) = 1700$, PC wins baby!

wxI1BHC.png

I use my LG OLED as both PC and PS5 display.

True way higher base resolution and better quality upscaling makes a lot of difference. And this is with Youtube compression.

dwd-Copy.png

2020 PS4 games never looked this good before!

Techies

Ratchet game seems like motion blur on/off.

Only thing that interests me in PS5 Pro is how much better Resident evil 4 VR going to be.

I've been using PSVR2 and have seen how nice 90fps high resolution can look and feel.

scydrex

- Drop the CPU to a 5600. It’s the exact same 6 core processor just clocked a tiny bit lower. Will still outperform the Pro.
- For the 5600x you really don’t need a third party cooler. Even more so for the 5600. It’s not going to run hot or loud.
- Your RAM was slow, I chose faster and cheaper from a reputable brand.
- The Samsung SSD while nice is complete overkill for a budget build. I substituted a fast 4.0 drive that is a bit cheaper. Fast enough to use in a PS5.
- Your PSU is overkill.
- Cheaper case that is still ITX with good airflow.
- No windows key, as you can get one off a key site for a few dollars.
- Included good keyboard and mouse for a budget build.
That's a nice build. If i were to build a PC would be something like that. In my case would need a monitor.

Last edited:

kevboard

- Drop the CPU to a 5600. It’s the exact same 6 core processor just clocked a tiny bit lower. Will still outperform the Pro.
- For the 5600x you really don’t need a third party cooler. Even more so for the 5600. It’s not going to run hot or loud.
- Your RAM was slow, I chose faster and cheaper from a reputable brand.
- The Samsung SSD while nice is complete overkill for a budget build. I substituted a fast 4.0 drive that is a bit cheaper. Fast enough to use in a PS5.
- Your PSU is overkill.
- Cheaper case that is still ITX with good airflow.
- No windows key, as you can get one off a key site for a few dollars.
- Included good keyboard and mouse for a budget build.

yeah, that's a pretty nice build. and also leaves room for upgrades down the line.

replacing that CPU with one of the X3D chips should they drop in price for example would boost the cpu performance in games dramatically over this already decent CPU

Bojji

How is this different to nvidia using Cyberpunk in tech demos? Another 2020 game also on PS4.

Compare PS4 build of Cyberpunk vs PC build (2020). Now do the same with TLoU2 on PS4 and PS5. The Last of Us 2 is pretty much the same with very few minimal upgrades, CP2077 use completely different quality assets, lighting model, textures etc.

Three

Compare PS4 build of Cyberpunk vs PC build (2020). Now do the same with TLoU2 on PS4 and PS5. The Last of Us 2 is pretty much the same with very few minimal upgrades, CP2077 use completely different quality assets, lighting model, textures etc.
Exactly now go back to what you said:

"2020 PS4 games never looked this good before!"

what relevance does the game being on PS4 or being from 2020 make then if you can show tech demos with it and nvidia does too? They're showing PS5 vs PS5 pro, using it to show the upscaling tech. The same was true when nvidia was just showing DLSS 3 on new cards, people didn't expect a completely different game. I don't even care about PS4 vs PC builds of CP because that's not really relevant.

Last edited:

Bojji

Exactly, what relevance does the game being on PS4 or being from 2020 make then if you can show tech demos with it? They're showing PS5 vs PS5 pro using it to show the upscaling tech. The same was true when nvidia was just showing DLSS 3 on new cards, people didn't expect a completely different game. I don't even care about PS4 vs PC builds of CP because that's not really relevant.

The Last of Us 2 was build for 1.8TF machine from 2013, I woudn't use it as graphical showcase for my "most powerful console" in 2024 if I were Sony. Cyberpunk was aimed to be the best looking game of 2020 (and it still is) and use the latest tech (console versions were just ports), that's why nvidia is using it everywhere.

Last edited:

Three

The Last of Us 2 was build for 1.8TF machine from 2013, I woudn't use it as graphical showcase for my "most powerful console" in 2024 if I were Sony. Cyberpunk was aimed to be the best looking game of 2020 (and it still is) and use the latest tech (console versions were just ports), that's why nvidia is using it everywhere.

Cyberpunk was built for a 1.8TF machine also but just like TLOU got updated along the way. It can be used to show those hardware upgrades all the same. This isn't a CP vs TLOU or PS4 vs PC pissing contest. It's about your comment

Which again, what's wrong with that since it applies to CP and nvidia GPUs too.

Last edited:

rnlval

soooo with the official announcement what are we looking at roughly bs pc?

7700xt?

7600x?

7700 XT's shader TFLOPS and ROPS level with RDNA 4's deeper BVH8 improvements.

RDNA 3's RT cores have hardware early BVH culling and BVH4 support.

RDNA 2's RT cores have BVH4 support.

For RDNA 2 and 3, BVH transverse are done on shaders and there are additional shader resources for RDNA 3 at per CU basis.

BVH8 allows for improved 2X BVH saturation performance over BVH4. NVIDIA is bias for BVH saturation performance. NVIDIA's RT bias is the road map. RDNA 3's raster is competitive, but it stumped with NVIDIA's RT saturation.

Last edited:

Bojji

Cyberpunk was built for a 1.8TF machine also but just like TLOU got updated along the way. It can be used to show those hardware upgrades all the same. This isn't a CP vs TLOU or PS4 vs PC pissing contest. It's about your comment

Which again, what's wrong with that since it applies to CP and nvidia GPUs too.

"Cyberpunk was built for 1.8TF machine" - you could as well say that The Witcher 3 was build for switch. CP was barely running on PS4 and looked really bad, they clearly released cut down version on this console and it never was a target platform. High end PC was.

Cyberpunk 2077 was super modern in 2020 (still is), state of the art. The Last of Us 2 was a great looking PS4 game in 2020, it didn't even look different between PS4 and PS4 Pro (aside 1080-1440p resolution bump), now we have native PS5 port that also looks the same.

See the difference?

Three

"Cyberpunk was built for 1.8TF machine" - you could as well say that The Witcher 3 was build for switch. CP was barely running on PS4 and looked really bad, they clearly released cut down version on this console and it never was a target platform. High end PC was.

Cyberpunk 2077 was super modern in 2020 (still is), state of the art. The Last of Us 2 was a great looking PS4 game in 2020, it didn't even look different between PS4 and PS4 Pro (aside 1080-1440p resolution bump), now we have native PS5 port that also looks the same.

See the difference?
No, because this stuff isn't relevant to your and my point. As I said this isn't a pissing contest between PC and PS4 or TLOU vs CP. If TLOU had released on Wii would that justify using TLOU for tech demos of added features later on? Since the Wii version would have looked bad in comparison too just like CP did on PS4. Now show the differences between 2080, 3080, 4080 and you'll see they used it to show tech demos of similar differences in DLSS3 and the same "2020 PS4/PC games have never looked so good!" applies again. Your point was the age of the game not how they look bad or whatever because they both look good.

twilo99

Gold Member
5700x3D and 7800XT are both great “bang for buck” propositions so I’ll try to put something together around that and see if I can keep in at a $1000

shamoomoo

It's still 2 shader engines, so it should still be 64 ROPS.
I doubt that, because that would make the Pro a very imbalanced design. In terms of fill-rate,the Pro would be better than the Series X but less than the base PS5. Granted,a new architecture can mean doing more with less,but that still is a weird design.

Top Bottom