• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro vs Rough Equivalent PC Specs

Zacfoldor

I stopped PC gaming because the chair hurt my back.

I tried the mythical long HDMI cord to get it to my TV, but then UIs were all fucked up and small and shitty and I didn't have anywhere to scroll with my mouse.

I'm sure you can make a gaming PC work as a convenient wireless couch system for the mancave in the shop, but I just prefer the ease of use of the PS5 Pro. It's only 100 dollars more than I would have been happy with and I'll use it for 5 years so screw it. Why not. I won't want to be bothered with things, I just want to plug and play with the best graphics possible and money is an object. I'm in IT. I've built a dozen gaming PCs LATELY for friends and a new one for myself a few years ago. Your IT guy will tell you, convenience is king. I lost the stars in my eyes for PC gaming benefits long ago.

Last edited:

I tried the mythical long HDMI cord to get it to my TV, but then UIs were all fucked up and small and shitty and I didn't have anywhere to scroll with my mouse.

I'm sure you can make a gaming PC work as a convenient wireless couch system for the mancave in the shop, but I just prefer the ease of use of the PS5 Pro. It's only 100 dollars more than I would have been happy with and I'll use it for 5 years so screw it. Why not. I won't want to be bothered with things, I just want to plug and play with the best graphics possible and money is an object. I'm in IT. I've built a dozen gaming PCs LATELY for friends and a new one for myself a few years ago. Your IT guy will tell you, convenience is king. I lost the stars in my eyes for PC gaming benefits long ago.
What does any of that have to do with the thread topic?
Futurama Squinting GIF

Xyphie

I doubt that, because that would make the Pro a very imbalanced design. In terms of fill-rate,the Pro would be better than the Series X but less than the base PS5. Granted,a new architecture can mean doing more with less,but that still is a weird design.

I mean the developer leak earlier this year says as much (5-4-5-4) -> (8-7-8-7). But it can also be deduced by the WGP count, they shouldn't be able to do a 30/32WGP bin if it was 4SE (should've been 28 in that case), and the full 32/32WGP chip wouldn't work with 3SE. So that leaves 2. This is why it's likely to underperform a Navi 32 or Navi 48 at similar bin/clock speeds in raster perf.

So unless RDNA4 changes the number of ROPS per SE, it should be 64 still. Possibly some weird mix of a RDNA1/RDNA2+ backend.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

What does any of that have to do with the thread topic?
Futurama Squinting GIF
Are you happy now, lol:

2tb PCIE SSD - $119.16
RX 7700 XT - $349.99
16gb Ram - $32.99
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - $159.00
Cheap AM4 mobo - $59.99
Enclosure - $40.00
PSU - $40.00 I see some for as cheap as 25 dollars but never get cheapest possible PSU, raising this to 40 dollars to get at least a name branded psu.

TOTAL: $801.13

Edit: My back is killing me

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
JFC this is almost as bad as the Linus/PS5 SSD fiasco. Dumbass didn't do his homework. Too much stupid shit he got wrong to list out.
It’s Jay2Centz. You watch this guy for entertainment, not education.

Not many guys in the PC tech space are reliable when it comes to consoles because they tend to have an aversion to them and will grossly downplay them.

People really need to stop putting a 7700 XT in there. The PS5’s PC equivalent will very likely be something like the 8700 XT.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

I stopped PC gaming on chair and couch because hurt my back. Now I play on a mattress with controllers or mouse+kb.

Three

And Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal were build for Switch. /s

What was build for PS4/XB1 was the massive downgrade.
In the same vein TLOU2 was built for the 4.2TF PS4 Pro and not the 1.8TF PS4 it also got a simultaneous release on, yes?

Seeing as Pro released in 2016 and TLOU2 in 2020. Means nothing if it was a target for release.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
People really need to stop putting a 7700 XT in there. The PS5’s PC equivalent will very likely be something like the 8700 XT.

Considering AMD’s pledge for “budget” GPUs going forward the 8700xt is likely to be the same price or lower than the current 7700xt, so just think of it as place holder for that price bracket.

I doubt the PS5 pro would outperform the 7700xt with more than what most consider margin of error anyway.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I doubt the PS5 pro would outperform the 7700xt with more than what most consider margin of error anyway.
I don't. It will destroy it in RT. Throw in PSSR instead of FSR and it's not much of a contest anymore. Dunno if AMD will have their AI-based FSR out for RDNA4's launch. I suspect they won't.

I don't. It will destroy it in RT. Throw in PSSR instead of FSR and it's not much of a contest anymore. Dunno if AMD will have their AI-based FSR out for RDNA4's launch. I suspect they won't.

Agreed, RDNA 4 Ray Tracing + PSSR make this a no contest...

twilo99

Gold Member

You might be right about RT but we will find out soon enough anyway.

tmlDan

PS5 pro overpriced takes aging like milk.
question really is, was the enhanced ray tracing and new feature set worth the increased price? That'll be up to the consumer i guess and i would assume that Sony is gonna use the pro as a test for the PS6, to see how we react

Sleepwalker

These comparisons with AMD GPU's are hot garbage. It's a nice theoretical excercise but if someone came to me and asked me to build a gaming PC for $700 I would just rather have him buy a console 9 times out of 10. The other 1 time is when the person can be convinced to spend $500+ more or so to get actual good parts.

Realistically I would also have them grab a base PS5 over the pro tho.

Last edited:

proandrad

These comparisons with AMD GPU's are hot garbage. It's a nice theoretical excercise but if someone came to me and asked me to build a gaming PC for $700 I would just rather have him buy a console 9 times out of 10. The other 1 time is when the person can be convinced to spend $500+ more or so to get actual good parts.

Realistically I would also have them grab a base PS5 over the pro tho.
I would tell them to go buy a steam deck. If your budget is under 1k for a gaming pc you ain’t ready for a gaming pc.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Much better CPU cuz u gotta have some self respect after all
Here is another take but I dunno that's too much

1. Why put a 1 TB SSD when the PS5 Pro has a 2 TB SSD?
  2. Why add the disk drive cost to the PS5 Pro when PCs also don't have a disk drive?
  3. I don't see the cost of a mouse / keyboard / controller in that PC component list.
  4. The tweet mentions Game Pass but doesn't add its price, artificially inflating the numbers. He also mentions "higher fidelity and frame rates" but that's not the case as the performance of this PC will be similar to the PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because PC doesn't need as you can find every single game digitally one way or another.
That's not the point.

If they are comparing the price of a PS5 Pro with a similarly-specced PC, they should not be adding the price of the disk-drive accessory, as that wouldn't be an apt comparison.

PCs are digital with no disk drives. So the PS5 Pro should also be digital with no disk drives.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That's not the point.

If they are comparing the price of a PS5 Pro with a similarly-specced PC, they should not be adding the price of the disk-drive accessory, as that wouldn't be an apt comparison.

PCs are digital with no disk drives. So the PS5 Pro should also be digital with no disk drives.
A PC without disk drive doesn't lose access to any game. A PS5 without disk drive loses access to tons of games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
A PC without disk drive doesn't lose access to any game. A PS5 without disk drive loses access to tons of games.
I do not understand this argument at all. Do most PS5 games only get physical releases exclusively, and not digital ones?

If not, this argument isn't a valid one.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
  1. I don't see the cost of a mouse / keyboard / controller in that PC component list.
  2. The tweet mentions Game Pass but doesn't add its price, artificially inflating the numbers. He also mentions "higher fidelity and frame rates" but that's not the case as the performance of this PC will be similar to the PS5 Pro.
Controller is optional on PC.
There are tons of games on that PC that will see higher fidelity and frame rates because they have unlocked resolutions and frame rates, and the most important, better input lag even at the same frame rate.
I do not understand this argument at all. Do most PS5 games only get physical releases exclusively, and not digital ones?

If not, this argument isn't a valid one.
Every PS5 game, including from retro compatibility, have digital versions?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Controller is optional on PC.
There are tons of games on that PC that will see higher fidelity and frame rates because they have unlocked resolutions and frame rates, and the most important, better input lag even at the same frame rate.
Controller / Keyboard / Mouse.

You'll need something. Otherwise, you can't play games. I see no input device on this list.
Every PS5 game, including from retro compatibility, have digital versions?
As far as I know, almost every PS5 game that is playable natively on a PS5 has a digital version. At the very least, the overwhelming majority.

But again, this is a completely tangential, useless line of argument. We're not comparing the pros and cons of the two platforms. Otherwise, one could also argue that PS5 exclusives won't be available on PC at launch.

We're just making a PC that has similar specs as a PS5 Pro. And since PCs don't have disk drives, one shouldn't add the disk drive accessory to the PS5 Pro.

hinch7

"$700 is too expensive for me. So instead I should make a $2,000 PC."

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
It isn't that expensive. Maybe $1300 max, for a quality picked mid range system like a 5700X3D + 4070 Super. Which would run circles around the PS5 Pro.

For better value get to a local Micro Center pick up an 12th gen Intel CPU motherboard+ram combo 12600KF with a 4070 Super for maybe $1100 for a complete PC build. And that isn't 'that' far off a PS5 Pro, accessories and a year or two worth of PS+.

There's peripherials as well but thats another can of worms.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Controller / Keyboard / Mouse.

You'll need something. Otherwise, you can't play games. I see no input device on this list.
That's why I said "Controller is optional on PC."
As far as I know, almost every PS5 game that is playable natively on a PS5 has a digital version. At the very least, the overwhelming majority.

But again, this is a completely tangential, useless line of argument. We're not comparing the pros and cons of the two platforms. Otherwise, one could also argue that PS5 exclusives won't be available on PC at launch.

We're just making a PC that has similar specs as a PS5 Pro. And since PCs don't have disk drives, one shouldn't add the disk drive accessory to the PS5 Pro.
If there is at least 1 game that the PS5 can run that needs disk drive, you will lose a PS5 "function" without the drive. It's about not losing access to any game of the library, not pros or cons of the two platforms.

simpatico

PSSR will be the make it or break it. A lot of people here think DLSS is the absolute floor in terms of potential quality. I see that as shots fired at AMD and Intel since they've been trying to make software like that for years now, and if PSSR is close to FSR or XeSS the price... isn't great. I even think "only" matching DLSS will cause a little side eye. Their expectations are pretty in line with what a good value prop would be. We just have to see if Sony's software team pulled it off. The sweet opiate of "PSSR 2 will fix it" will be enough to get some people by even if the quality is realistic.

twilo99

Gold Member
That's not the point.

What do we do about the stand? We don’t really have an equivalent in the PC world.

winjer

Gold Member
Are you happy now, lol:

2tb PCIE SSD - $119.16
RX 7700 XT - $349.99
16gb Ram - $32.99
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - $159.00
Cheap AM4 mobo - $59.99
Enclosure - $40.00
PSU - $40.00 I see some for as cheap as 25 dollars but never get cheapest possible PSU, raising this to 40 dollars to get at least a name branded psu.

TOTAL: $801.13

Edit: My back is killing me

One advice. Never, ever, skimp on the PSU.
It's the most important component in any PC. In part for performance, as a bad PSU can throttle components. And a good PSU can save some electricity.
But the main reason is for stability and safety. A bad PSU can cause crashes and at worst, it can damage components.

40$ is not enough for a good PSU. At least save around 100€ for it and get a reputable brand.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Pc ports can be so shit
That i runs glitchy even on an rtx 4090
2,5K card

Pc gaming is fucked. I still like it.. but i recommend pc gaming only on a sale and far after launch… on a sale. Day games i prefer on consolas

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Pc ports can be so shit
That i runs glitchy even on an rtx 4090
2,5K card

Pc gaming is fucked. I still like it.. but i recommend pc gaming only on a sale and far after launch… on a sale. Day games i prefer on consolas
Played both Wukong and Space Marine 2 at launch on my allegedly mid-tier GPU (4070 Super). Had 0 issues.

Works on my machine.

Winnie The Pooh Happy Dance GIF by Leon Denise

5700x3D and 7800XT are both great “bang for buck” propositions so I’ll try to put something together around that and see if I can keep in at a $1000
Use a Ryzen 5 8400 F and a hypothetical RTX 5060ti for $400.

Thats what Pro will be competing against realistically.

8400 F will keep future upgrade paths open for at least till 2030.

MarV0

Neo Member

That's a problem indeed in some games if you mix display resolutions. However, most games now use borderless fullscreen which automatically picks your desktops resolution.

Also, If your monitor and TV are both 4k then the experience is seamless.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Played both Wukong and Space Marine 2 at launch on my allegedly mid-tier GPU (4070 Super). Had 0 issues.

Works on my machine.

Winnie The Pooh Happy Dance GIF by Leon Denise
Yes that’s the problem it works well for some.
Not for everyone..

Deadspace remake was fucking broken on day 1

Surprised the 4070ti can even run games like warhammer tho. That card is low tier thb

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Surprised the 4070ti can even run games like warhammer tho. That card is low tier thb
If running the latest shit at 4K/60fps with all the crap turned to max is low tier then yeah I guess it is. :lollipop_tongue:

twilo99

Gold Member
Use a Ryzen 5 8400 F and a hypothetical RTX 5060ti for $400.

Thats what Pro will be competing against realistically.

8400 F will keep future upgrade paths open for at least till 2030.
Good point.

What many fail to grasp is that the game-changer is the PS5 Pro's price point, edging towards the $1000 mark. This is significant, as it's enough to assemble a competitive PC. Thus, with AMD and Nvidia set to release their new GPUs, the PC proposition becomes even more appealing. The 5060ti will be interesting, but I'm more interested in what AMD launch with since they've committed to the low/mid tier GPU game.

I've primarily used the 7700/7800xt as a reference for a price bracket, which I believe offers performance that is "close enough." However, with the release of new GPUs, this project will become even more straightforward.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It’s Jay2Centz. You watch this guy for entertainment, not education.

Not many guys in the PC tech space are reliable when it comes to consoles because they tend to have an aversion to them and will grossly downplay them.

Folks also need to account for the poor PC ports and stuttering.

Run Away GIF

Yes that’s the problem it works well for some.
Not for everyone..

Deadspace remake was fucking broken on day 1

Surprised the 4070ti can even run games like warhammer tho. That card is low
The magic word is machine learning upscaling, which the PS5 and Xbox unfortunately (just) missed in 2020. (I don't even want to start talking about hardware-supported image generation...)

DLSS can now upscale even a 720p image to 4k relatively smoothly, so the image quality is acceptable.

Good point.

What many fail to grasp is that the game-changer is the PS5 Pro's price point, edging towards the $1000 mark. This is significant, as it's enough to assemble a competitive PC. Thus, with AMD and Nvidia set to release their new GPUs, the PC proposition becomes even more appealing. The 5060ti will be interesting, but I'm more interested in what AMD launch with since they've committed to the low/mid tier GPU game.

I've primarily used the 7700/7800xt as a reference for a price bracket, which I believe offers performance that is "close enough." However, with the release of new GPUs, this project will become even more straightforward.
I heard rumours that AMD will launch their proper step up cards in 2026 with their own AI based upscaling. That will be next after upcoming generation. Thats why they are not investing much time in 8xxx series cards.

Either ways, either them or Nvidia will offer upgrades within 6 months.

Top Bottom