• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters
Since previews have started dropping and more games have been shown, I'm slowly warming up with the purchase.
I have no FOMO though, I could live without it or I could also resell my PS5 digital and hop on the PS5 Pro bandwagon and get a premium Playstation gaming experience with my 4K Oled and PSVR2. I still need more time and information to decide...

The fomo felt strong, but I realized I don't play any games that would really use it. Also, honestly, what I have seen so far is hardly an impressive jump relative to the price increase percentage-wise.

Fess

Bugs Bunny GIF

I’m so weak. Couldn’t help myself. Preordered. Over $1,000. 😔

Isa

Well after voting thinking about it I went and preordered one. Already got the disk drive and stand. Was kind of hoping to get the 30th Anniversary edition but alas.

Crayon

I really thought about it last night since the preorders were going up. I decided no.

Reasoning distilled: I have the money these days, but for much of my life and well into adulthood, I wouldn't have. At least wouldn't have when I already spent $500 on a ps5 that still worked fine. The important part is that I wouldn't have felt like I was missing too much and been rightfully grateful that I had a PS5 at all. So I'm gonna try to remember what it was like before and not burn on something that would just be "nice to have".

Sw0pDiller

Got one just now, Dutch Sony store was telling me out of stock all day and just now it was placed in my basket. sold my liver and kidney and now i am good to go.

MacReady13

Stupidly I pre ordered one. And I don't know why. I have a 4070 ti super gaming PC and my Switch which gets heaps of playtime, but I guess I'm a sucker for new consoles so here we are. The PS5 will either get sold or go in the cupboard for another day...

Trilobit

$1230 (incl. taxes) in my country with the stand and disc reader. $1030 without. Safe to say I will not be getting it. Maybe if I owned a 80" TV.

Last edited:

dmaul1114

Got a preorder in this morning.

I was waffling on it, but said fuck it. My launch PS5 is having overheating issues (mostly makes the Ethernet cable/port hot and causes some disconnects) and has had pretty loud coil whine since day one that’s gotten louder lately as well. Decided I’d rather just sell it and get the pro boosts than mess with removing the gazillion screws, ribbon cables etc. to try to clean it out if its dusty deeper inside (totally clean as far as what can be accessed just from popping the plates off).

It’s my main platform, so might as well enjoy the boost and can maybe hold off on PS6 a while after it launches if stuff is cross gen and running decent enough on PS5 Pro.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Eehhhhhhhhhhh I feel dirty for doing it, but I have the cash, so got an order in for it and the disc drive + stand.

As much as i liked the grey special edition bundle i already have a duelsense edge and don't need a second for player 2, the regular controller does them fine.

Was thinking about the new Ghost and despite having a more than capable PC, I would be playing it on Playstation for sure.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I really thought about it last night since the preorders were going up. I decided no.

Reasoning distilled: I have the money these days, but for much of my life and well into adulthood, I wouldn't have. At least wouldn't have when I already spent $500 on a ps5 that still worked fine. The important part is that I wouldn't have felt like I was missing too much and been rightfully grateful that I had a PS5 at all. So I'm gonna try to remember what it was like before and not burn on something that would just be "nice to have".

Beautiful post, agreed 😉
Having said that, and after raging a couple.of times regarding the price, I'm going to get one, the reason ?
I just can't do FSR smeared and bad performing games anymore...
Space marine 2 on the PS5 is a fucking disgrace running at that shitty framerate which gets even worse when playing co-op (operations), Wukong and Alan Wake 2 are FSR shit town and i just couldn't even finish the Final fantasy 16 demo nor the Dragon's dogma 2 one due to their abhorrent performance.

"Quality mode" in some cases could alleviate that (IQ, stable framerate), but 30fps and OLED screens don't go hand in hand due to the inherent OLED judder...

They got me in a headlock basically and apparently, the only solution is to throw more money at the problem, oh well...

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
I've been hearing a lot of talk of the dock strikes beginning around the US, and the potential for severe disruptions on anything coming from overseas......especially electronics. With the possibility of having shipping delays 10x worse than COVID, do you think there will be a delay in Pros getting to the stores or Pre orders being delayed weeks to months?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've been hearing a lot of talk of the dock strikes beginning around the US, and the potential for severe disruptions on anything coming from overseas......especially electronics. With the possibility of having shipping delays 10x worse than COVID, do you think there will be a delay in Pros getting to the stores or Pre orders being delayed weeks to months?
Since the pros are packaged in the US in Terre Haute IN of all places, my bet is we already have a huge number here in the US being packaged

Future products I could see delays if this port strike lingers

Bitstream

thats going to be a nightmare on a lot more levels than the ps5 pro. damn.

Quantum253

Gold Member
thats going to be a nightmare on a lot more levels than the ps5 pro. damn.
Agreed. Anything that comes in a container will not be taken out of it. Depends on how many weeks it last, but after 4 weeks most businesses will be ruined. Makes me think of what to get before you can't anymore (or it will take months)

diffusionx

Gold Member
It'll last 18 months max, and then PS6 comes along at over 1000 dollars/pounds, and minus the disk drive....because ultimately Sony want to control your library
PS4 pro came out in 2016 and PS5 in 2020, but yea ok, 18 months.

It would need to provide some optional systemwide upscaling/upressing and/or higher fps for all games pre 2024 for me to pull the trigger.
This doesn't even exist on PC, or Xbox frame boost thing... DLSS support needs to be built into the games.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

PS4 pro came out in 2016 and PS5 in 2020, but yea ok, 18 months.

This doesn't even exist on PC, or Xbox frame boost thing... DLSS support needs to be built into the games.
Who said it had to be DLSS/PSSR? If those aren't possible then a (small) res up can help too. Something like the mClassic can clean up the image and upscale "on the fly". I use it in combination with a RetroTink 4K to getter looking Switch/WiiU games. Besides, if emulators can bump up the native output res, I'm sure modern Consoles can do the same with their BC games,.

d2lkdGg9MTk0Ng

Last edited:

Crayon

Beautiful post, agreed 😉
Having said that, and after raging a couple.of times regarding the price, I'm going to get one, the reason ?
I just can't do FSR smeared and bad performing games anymore...
Space marine 2 on the PS5 is a fucking disgrace running at that shitty framerate which gets even worse when playing co-op (operations), Wukong and Alan Wake 2 are FSR shit town and i just couldn't even finish the Final fantasy 16 demo nor the Dragon's dogma 2 one due to their abhorrent performance.

"Quality mode" in some cases could alleviate that (IQ, stable framerate), but 30fps and OLED screens don't go hand in hand due to the inherent OLED judder...

They got me in a headlock basically and apparently, the only solution is to throw more money at the problem, oh well...

That may have been enough to put me over the line and I thought about it. But my gpu shades the base ps5 in performance just enough to get those games over the line. I've only been able to try the wukong benchmark, but I think it worked out: Seems like a game that has the ps5 hanging by it's fingernails, the 6800 gets it over the line to not being a total mess. So hopefully, that will be a pattern since big games will have to at least barely run on ps5 for several years. So there goes my excuse!!!

Thanks for understanding. I was in a mood that struck me but the reasoning has made sense since and I'm sticking to it! The next hardware I splash on will be because I want it BAD and I'll pass on this. Maybe even on GPU's for a minute since I've made the case to myself that mine is fine.

Last edited:

bboris77

Neo Member
I just do not trust Sony on being able to design and manufacture a console consistent noise performance profile any more, so I refuse to buy any console without first seeing extensive reports about how loud it is. I am tired of dealing with coil whine, fan lottery where certain fans produce howling sounds and so on. I am not ruling out the possibility of picking up PS5 Pro within a year after it is launched provided it is silent and there are certain games that I am interested in (COD mainly) that perform significantly better than their XBOX Series X counterparts. By significantly better I mean 120fps at 4K native with no visual downgrades. I could not give a crap about ray tracing gimmick btw.

REMAINSILLY

I don't think my opinion really counts that much, seeing as how I'm a primarily PC gamer. I do own a PS5 fat, and I really only use it to play Astro Bot, and like a handful of social games with friends who only play on console. My console friends all have said that they will ignore the Pro, mainly because it doesn't come with a disc drive. They also said they don't care about graphics and framerates (true console players).

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
these consoles while earning far more than europeans as well?
IME the payscale delta is not nearly as conclusive as it looks from pay-cheque alone. I know people who experienced that first hand - go from expensive European city to expensive US city for 50% salary bump and then cry about how they really needed a much bigger bump. Granted - the math on all this is subject to many variables - I don't think it has a single answer, but - just saying.

But the EU has been price shafted on US consumer products for decades - MS, Apple, Facebook and many others have been doing the EU price = (Number of USDs)*1.2 Euros since as long as I can remember. I have no idea how consoles stayed at 1:1 exchange for as long as they did.
And frankly the above sucks much more when you're paying 5000 Euros for a 4000 $ Macbook.

Last edited:

REMAINSILLY

Maybe you and your friends aren't the target audience.
Yeah, I know for a fact they aren't. They're just the regular console-player types. They're always talking shit that I play mostly PC. I have no idea why lmao, they keep saying KB+M is cheating in online games. I feel like the Pro has a place int he gaming landscape, for sure, though.

Gambit2483

I went to Gamestop and they said they would give me about $340 for my PS5 since I still have my membership thing with them.

That said, I'll let you guys get the Pro And report on it to see if it's worth the hassle of removing my 2TB hard drive and paying another $420 (stand/disc drive) for the upgrade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom