• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
That's a good point. People can and do spend a lot of money on this hobby, but when you think of the amount of time and use you get out a device - it doesn't seem so extravagant to pay for a Pro console or a great PC build. Plus, when games like GTA6 and Sony first-party drop, people will have a choice between the base PS5 and the Pro. Sony will sell consoles either way.

Truth.

Even 3rd party games that release on all platforms, some times I'll favor PS simply based on how I'm use to playing the game, like Tekken or GTA or something like this, so connecting my PS controller on PC, dealing with the driver headache issues, mapping it out, I'm not doing all that shit lol

I'll just play it on PS and play on PC titles I enjoy playing on PC, its why I'm buying S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 on PC, that is where my memories are with that IP, that is what I'll relive when it releases, even knowing it will have a PS5 version.

So it depends on a lot of factors.

Does the team do PC titles well? Is it a control deep type of game ala Tekken or a conceptual type title like a narrative driven title like Walking Dead? Simply being on PC isn't enough to make me buy any game, I must actually want to really play it there to care theses days and with how consoles are the target for most development, I rarely feel I'm missing much when I opt to buy a game for PS5 vs PC.

KevinK15

Neo Member
I might. Got the Disc drive for $49 in Canada as there was a clearance before the announcement from a local shop closing. Waiting to see how it affects the games I'm currently playing. Spider Man 2 I'll probably finish before it releases. GT7 still playing and see what new games are like for my winter gaming sessions.

farmerboy

Is there no way technically that Sony could let you validate your physical game discs and convert them to digital, so at least I wouldn't have to buy the disc drive?

MCasey

Here in the US. I will be buying one because I want to play existing games and future games at the highest possible quality (on console anyway). My partner who is on the PS4 Pro will then split the cost of the PS5 Pro and then take my original PS5.
I think this is a hard sell currently for a lot of gamers though. However, when GTA VI comes out and if there is a big difference in performance from the PS5, that’s when I would expect an increase in sales.
I was expecting a $600 price tag, but I had planned on purchasing an additional 1TB SSD anyway. I have only two physical games for PS5 so the disc drive might not be worth it. I buy a few PlayStation gift cards when Costco has the $100 value for $80. I then wait for digital games sales.
Is the PS5 Pro worth the cost? To some yes, to others no. Pretty simple.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Aren't the logistics of launching a phone similar to launching a console? How can Apple do it in a week, while it takes Sony almost two months?

MiguelItUp

I'm happy for those that are excited, but I'll not be partaking. I'm totally content with my PS5, unless there's some crazy exclusive that drops that has night and day performance on the Pro. But honestly with the way things have been going I don't really see that happening.

XXL

Yeah, I'm 99% buying it Day 1, but I want to see more and I want to know how this is going to effect PSVR 2.

But the upgrade is pretty substantial.

Eszti

Banned
you guys make it hard to not buy it day 1 for fucks sake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

my problem is i wanna playa assassins creed shadows and it has pro upgrade from the get go and i know it will be much higher res. and it releases 1 week after the pro.

00_Zer0

No I would rather stick with the Nintendo eco system and upgrade my PC. In this day and age no need for me to personally own multiple consoles besides Nintendo offerings, since I own an upgradable PC already. Exclusives are not what they used to be and I can comfortably live off of past console generations, new Nintendo Nintendo consoles, and PC going into the future.

oldergamer

Its just too expensive. for a marginal upgrade to frame rate. This is what people wanted by having no competition. Sony has a monopoly and can charge whatever they want.

I'll be there Day One, I had ambitions of spending $2500 on a gaming PC that was gonna be my dream build, all Team Red. But I just can't bring myself to use Windows again, I've been out of that ghetto for over 5 years and I refuse to go back. So until Valve expands Steam OS to be as viable on desktop as it is on the Steam Deck I'm rolling with Sony for high end gaming.

Rexket

Banned
Well, time to work on upgrading my PC. Held out to see what a PS5 Pro would look like and now know there’s nothing to keep me in the PlayStation ecosystem over PC.

30fps to 60 fps is marginal?
You really think all games are gonna have 60 fps mandatory on Pro? Starting with overhyped GTA 6, i highly doubt they come with 60 fps mode. And also, on the games Pro will offer 60 fps on "fidelity" mode, most of them are already upgraded PS4 games so not 700$+Disc drive worth it

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So GameStop is offering around $350 for the PS5 with the disc drive. Plus 38 for the dualsense.

Think I might just bite the bullet before the trade value drops. Ill gladly pay $400 for the Pro.

ReBurn

Gold Member
So GameStop is offering around $350 for the PS5 with the disc drive. Plus 38 for the dualsense.

Think I might just bite the bullet before the trade value drops. Ill gladly pay $400 for the Pro.
That's my current plan, trade my OG disc version and apply the credit toward a pro.

Zuzu

I’d like to buy it because FF7:Rebirth is looking very promising on it. I do think $1200 is a bit overpriced in Australia since it doesn’t have a disc drive. With the disc drive that’s a $560 premium over the $800 PS5 that I bought (which came with Ragnarok). But playing Rebirth at 60fps with visuals better than PS5 quality mode would be really nice. Perhaps they’ll release some bundles with games included in the price next year which will help increase the value proposition.

LostDonkey

You really think all games are gonna have 60 fps mandatory on Pro? Starting with overhyped GTA 6, i highly doubt they come with 60 fps mode. And also, on the games Pro will offer 60 fps on "fidelity" mode, most of them are already upgraded PS4 games so not 700$+Disc drive worth it

Over hyped? Come on dude, these guys changed the entire industry and deliver every single time.

Poordevil

Yea, I'll buy it. It is $100 more than I was expecting is all. I don't give a hoot about having no disc drive. I can't remember the last time I actually bought a physical game. My intention was always to buy the disc free PS5 Pro to replace my current 4Pro. I was hesitant when watching the Sony reveal because I wasn't sure if the upgrade from the base PS5 was worth the extra $$. But I'm pretty sure it is... it better be!

RAIDEN1

It'll last 18 months max, and then PS6 comes along at over 1000 dollars/pounds, and minus the disk drive....because ultimately Sony want to control your library

I sold my Xbox Series X a couple of weeks ago deciding to go back to Playstation this gen. I thought getting a PS5 Pro would be a great point to jump in (!), bit I did not expect this price. I find it hard to spend €800 at past half this generation.

Should I get a normal PS5, do Sony usually price cut as a BF offer here in the EU?

OuterLimits

Still debating. I jumped into last gen with the PS4 pro and once rumors started of another Pro this gen, I have been waiting. With the price though, I'm about 50/50 on whether to go with Pro or just be fine getting a base PS5. I need to decide soon though because my PS4 pro sounds like it is trying to launch itself into orbit and having issues reading discs at times.

dmaul1114

Nah. It’s my main platform but I don’t see the upgrade as worth the cost. Not a big hit to my budget, but I still think about return for money spent when buying things.

Even more so when I play to ditch consoles for PC a bit down the road (need to work though some backlog etc. first).

Most games these days run great already on my base PS5 with performance mode. If I can get better than that it's worth selling my PS5 and getting the Pro.

Moses85

Futurama Buy GIF

HercRaato

People like you are the ones having this industry on the state as it is. If you don´t like the price, be coherent, take a stand and at least don´t buy it on that unfair price. We gamers have the accountability to decide with our wallets...
Meh it's a hundred bucks more than I expected. It's not a big deal to me. I never said it was an unfair price, just more than I expected.

I'm not buying 3 like I originally planned, so I'm saving money. The wife and kid can buy there own. They have decided it's not worth it to them. It's how capitalism works.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
giphy.gif
Day Fucking One!

If I see anyone of you haters in the virtual line to get one with me, I’m going to give you the biggest weggie you’ve had since 6th grade!

Seomel

Neo Member
Yes, im lucky to be in a place I can easily buy with no regrets. I have already disc drive and probably will sell of my regular ps5 after I get it

Meh it's a hundred bucks more than I expected. It's not a big deal to me. I never said it was an unfair price, just more than I expected.

I'm not buying 3 like I originally planned, so I'm saving money. The wife and kid can buy there own. They have decided it's not worth it to them. It's how capitalism works.
Seems pretty much like consumerism. But is your money and your problem. Sadly if enough people like you buy that scam pro console, the numbers are going to tell Sony its right to sell consoles with less added value at higher price.

Top Bottom