• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax (old)

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
You're right that Americans may as a group be likely to sue over stupid shit because of the way our legal system is set up and aspects of our culture. One anecdote about a hotdog isn't evidence for that belief however, which is a broad statistical claim. So yeah, your impression is based on your own poor reasoning.

Furthermore, there's no way to confidently attribute this guy's actions to a shitty American litigious culture rather than a reasonable sense of having been wronged. If racial stereotyping and sexual orientation stereotyping are outlawed here, why isn't national stereotyping?

So you're going to go "OH AMERICA on me?". its hardly a national stereotype and you know what I mean anyhow.

A.R.K

Megadragon15 said:
Has this been posted yet: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20057921-260.html ? Apparently someone is suing Sony over this breach.

fucking opportunists...no real gamer would do this to take a gaming company down which has given so much to this industry. I also read a senator is going after Sony...but wtf about those hackers who did this? Is the FBI helping to get after them? This was a big crime and should be taken seriously and the culprits should be served justice.

Sigh...there will be so much doom before things settle-in

J-Rock

Banned
I hope other game companies learn from this situation. I'd hate to see this happen to other systems. Sony, you handled this wrong. So much frustration could have been avoided.

Vamphuntr

params7 said:
Fuck anonymous. What they did was wrong and every one of them should be caught and prosecuted.

I'm talking about Hotz and Chokolo, not anon.

Then you're not making sense. How does prosecuting Geohotz has lead to this? Karma?!?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gamecocks625 said:
Sony is feeling the payback for letting Square publish Final Fantasy for the Xbox 360. The other foot has now been shot.

I'm an expert.

You don't know how much we know about betrayals?

Jburton

Banned
params7 said:
I lol'd at Sony too when they were the only music label to support DRM spyware.

And I'm lol'ing at Sony today

Quite the chip on your shoulder, did DRM on Sony Music titles effect you so much.

Geohot and the like have provided the tools to others (involuntary maybe) to use pirate software etc.

There were none of the issues endured by PSN users recently until geohot and the like started their work.

And that is fact.

shidoshi said:
That's why I said "if". When you start hearing so many different sources saying pretty close to the same thing, though, it isn't hard to believe (or at least consider). And IF the case was that Sony's security was total ass, they deserve to be on the end of a lawsuit. When you're collecting so much personal information about people, you either do your job and keep that shit as locked down as you can, or you should pay the price. (Or, you know, be smart enough to know you're too stupid to be the safe-keeper of such information in the first place.)
What exactly are these sources we are talking about?

I haven't seen anything about their supposed security flaws except for that log file that had nothing to do with this.

Dead Man

A.R.K said:
fucking opportunists...no real gamer would do this to take a gaming company down which has given so much to this industry. I also read a senator is going after Sony...but wtf about those hackers who did this? Is the FBI helping to get after them? This was a big crime and should be taken seriously and the culprits should be served justice.

I can't even tell if this is satire any more.

plainr_ said:
Think I created at least 15 accounts since owning a PS3.
wtf is wrong with me
lol god knows how many I've made. But right now I have about 4 active ones, maybe 5. Got my Japan Euro and NA accounts, then I have the one I use to share stuff with strangers like GAF for betas and whatnot, and my cousins account (he has mine, once again for sharing). Terrible I know.

Metalmurphy said:
Company didn't lose it. It was taken. But who else is he going to sue?

They want to be happy/hope no data was stored in the UK:

Data Protection ACt 1998
Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

Equus Bellator Apex

A.R.K said:

I think it's safe to assume that sony hacked themselves.

They should be punished for their crimes against humanity .

I have no interest in this lawsuit. Sony is going to be hurting enough as it is. A lawsuit will just impede them from getting the PS3 back on track. They haven't even had enough time to get things figured out before some shyster lawyer files a lawsuit to make a name for himself. Pathetic.

Psy-Phi

A.R.K said:

Should have filed this first, because I knew someone would, not because I want to. But if someone's going to lead a Class Action...why not in my name. You get so much more money than the people who come in under your lawsuit. :p :(

I don't honestly believe Sony didn't take the appropriate measures though, so I can't even agree with the suit here as reported in this article. I do believe they have an incompetent security group though.

Barrett2

The upside of all this is it prevented me from buying FF4 again, despite having only put 20 minutes into Tactics Ogre.

Kaz is just looking out for my wallet, while Russian mobsters are looking through it. Hayoooo!!!!

Zoe

Biggzy said:
All i can say about this is that i am quite peed off with Sony at the moment about two thing 1 was storing my password as a plain text on a server ( what was you thinking)

There is no evidence of that.

Biggzy

A.R.K said:

I am sorry but although i have sympathy for Sony in that they weren’t the ones who did this but as i have listed previously they have made some bad mistakes such as storing are passwords as a plain text on servers and not warning us immediately about the situation. Also there is some evidence that has recently come to light that Sony may have known about there security weaknesses months before hand but didn’t do nothing about it.

params7

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
You're right, I'm sure Sony is thinking "we better not mess with those Hackers ever again!"

Again --- seriously?

lol, what did Sony get out of suing Geohotz? Like Hotz said, Sony sued him to scare the community. If Sony had a case, shouldn't they have tried to win instead of settling?

And like I said, what did Sony get out of suing Geohotz?

Not a precedent that says "never hack your PS3". They failed to do that in a massive dick-choking way. But PSN getting hacked today most probably wouldn't have happened if Sony hadn't sued Hotz.

LowParry

lawblob said:
The upside of all this is it prevented me from buying FF4 again, despite having only put 20 minutes into Tactics Ogre.

Kaz is just looking out for my wallet, while Russian mobsters are looking through it. Hayoooo!!!!

FF4 will be there when PSN comes back. The game is pretty. ;)

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Kind of a strong reaction to the victim seeking recompense. Isn't this exactly the kind of thing that class-action suits are for?

Also, is there a need to insult Americans as a group? If you responded to a story about a Black person committing a crime with "Fucking disgusting criminal Blacks" you'd be banned, right? I'm not even a particularly patriotic, proud-to-be type, but it makes you look like an asshole.

Jax said:
The perception is that the US is bloody litigious. That's from someone not from the US. The OT has a thread about a lawsuit brought before a jury for a $0.99 hotdog. So yeah, I think my impression is about right.

He's just an asshole.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jax said:
So you're going to go "OH AMERICA on me?". its hardly a national stereotype and you know what I mean anyhow.

I don't know what that means.

Is it not a stereotype because you think it's true and explains this person's behavior, or what?

I think I know what you meant. You think people shouldn't sue over trivial shit (though it remains to be seen how trivial this is). For some reason you had to insult Americans as a group though it added nothing to your point. Like I said, I'm not a patriotic person, but for whatever reason, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Zoe

Biggzy said:
I am sorry but although i have sympathy for Sony in that they weren’t the ones who did this but as i have listed previously they have made some bad mistakes such as storing are passwords as a plain text on servers

There is no evidence of that.

mollipen

Metalmurphy said:
What exactly are these sources we are talking about?

I haven't seen anything about their supposed security flaws except for that log file that had nothing to do with this.

Most recent I read (first comment).

Again, I'm smart enough to know not to believe anything until we have actual facts. Just like I say that for random postings around the internet, though, I say the same about what Sony is saying.

If it comes out that their security was crap, sock it to 'em. If it wasn't, and this was a legit case of good security getting broken (as it sometimes will), then it sucks, but we have to accept that it wasn't the fault of Sony.

Biggzy said:
I am sorry but although i have sympathy for Sony in that they weren’t the ones who did this but as i have listed previously they have made some bad mistakes such as storing are passwords as a plain text on servers and not warning us immediately about the situation. Also there is some evidence that has recently come to light that Sony may have known about there security weaknesses months before hand but didn’t do nothing about it.

Wth? lol

Where's all this coming from?

shidoshi said:

Again, I'm smart enough to know not to believe anything until we have actual facts. Just like I say that for random postings around the internet, though, I say the same about what Sony is saying.

If it comes out that their security was crap, sock it to 'em. If it wasn't, and this was a legit case of good security getting broken (as it sometimes will), then it sucks, but we have to accept that it wasn't the fault of Sony.
Is that supposed to be someone famous and reliable?

Equus Bellator Apex

A.R.K said:

I think it's safe to assume that sony hacked themselves.

They should be punished for their crimes against humanity .

Barrett2

Keep in mind, the US is more litigious than other countries partly because we have *in some ways* less consumer protection laws than other countries. So, to an extent, oftentimes suing someone is the only way to receive compensation for something.

It is a government DOD mandate a network and its equipment apply AES level 256-bit encryption. It is a high security risk to store any data in plain text. Use hashing, encryption, or whatever you can....but don't USE plaintext!

There is just no way Sony was implement 256-bit encryption for this to happen. Maybe 128-bit

aktham

Should I be worried and replace my CC? I have hotel reservations that haven't been charged yet. I don't want to lose my reservations :(

sajj316

lawblob said:
Keep in mind, the US is more litigious than other countries partly because we have *in some ways* less consumer protection laws than other countries. So, to an extent, oftentimes suing someone is the only way to receive compensation for something.

tis the reason why his name is "lawbob" ...

Vamphuntr

shidoshi said:

Embarassing if true.

NeoUltima

Shin Dynamo X said:
It is a government DOD mandate a network and its equipment apply AES level 256-bit encryption. It is a high security risk to store any data in plain text. Use hashing, encryption, or whatever you can....but don't USE plaintext!

There is just no way Sony was implement 256-bit encryption for this to happen. Maybe 128-bit
What's the source of this 'plain text' stuff people keep saying?

A.R.K

MoneyLaunderer said:
I have no interest in this lawsuit. Sony is going to be hurting enough as it is. A lawsuit will just impede them from getting the PS3 back on track. They haven't even had enough time to get things figured out before some shyster lawyer files a lawsuit to make a name for himself. Pathetic.

thank god someone has a brain here

sajj316

aktham said:
Should I be worried and replace my CC? I have hotel reservations that haven't been charged yet. I don't want to lose my reservations :(

Just get new CC numbers, not cancel your card. Call your hotel and update the reservation with the new number .. you won't lose your reservation sir.

aktham said:

I already canceled mine and requested a new one. Better safe than sorry and I am not going to wait around for Sony to tell me whether or not it was compromised.

Biggzy

aktham said:

Depending on which country you live in then there are laws that protect you against these kind of stuff. However if you are like me and only have a DC than the law can get kind of messy, in the UK at least.

2z7lcet.jpg

Cancelled debit and credit card - no online shopping for a few days. How will I survive :(

I am no longer buying anything for PS3 unless I am sure it is the best version (Portal 2) I have both PSN and LIVE and while LIVE has had its issues too nothing like this and I have lost all faith in SONY.

Fair or not that's how I feel, and I feel bad because I was really starting to get into my PS3 with Portal and I picked up Borderlands (a lot of good that game is without psn)

Jburton

Banned
lawblob said:

Compensation for what?

This is all speculation, there has been no confirmation of CC info being stolen ...... just a maybe.

If Sony are found to have taken all necessary, legal measures required of them by law to secure data and the ones at fault are the hackers then how does that leave Sony in a litigious situation?

All the rumours of plain text this and non encrypted that is just that ..... rumour.

params7

Banned
Jburton said:
Quite the chip on your shoulder, did DRM on Sony Music titles effect you so much.

Geohot and the like have provided the tools to others (involuntary maybe) to use pirate software etc.

There were none of the issues endured by PSN users recently until geohot and the like started their work.

And that is fact.

Bull. It is true that Geo's -ANTIPIRACY- CFW's were circumvented by OTHERS. How is this Geo's fault? Also he had nothing to do with what triggered piracy on PS3 on the ps3 in a big way. The USB dongle hacks let that happen, something Geo was nowhere involved with.

And here's one for you senior sony ponies, if Hotz supported piracy, why did he never release the NPDRM keys? With those we could potentially have iso's being signed to run on ps3's out of the box. Even after being sued he never revealed them anonymously because like he himself said, NPDRM keys will only be used for piracy. Why?

Zoe

aktham said:

Usually with hotel reservations, they won't run your card again until you check in and even then you could change your method of payment to something completely different.

In the US at least.

Deadstar

Jax said:
fucking disgusting litigious americans. I bet he thinks its easy money

Hopefully sony wins and the clown has to pay for their court costs (i think the law might favour the fool though)

What's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom