• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Anyone see this?

UHlII.jpg

Jburton

Banned
params7 said:
Ah I see where you're coming from. But maybe "not bowing down to hackers" doesn't always mean trolling them with useless lawsuits but just working on making your system stronger. Or even if they want to sue, at least sue someone who clearly only hacked for piracy not the iphone hero.

Case in point, SCEA tried to hire Koushik Dutta (android OS developer) and he refused. Its these kind of people that Sony needs to work with not SUE. Microsoft is a good example here. Dutta is an ex-MS employee. Hotz was approached by Windows Mobile 7 devision AFTER Sony sued him.

Awesome, lets hold a knife to someone's throat and demand work.

The sense of entitlement these hackers have is unbelievable.

Talk about being up your own ass!

Kyoufu said:
My bank hasn't issued me a new card, and I have a PSN purchase on file.

I don't know if I can believe you guys and your anecdotal shit.

I think it's pretty funny all that "anecdotal shit" started happening after Sony confirmed what happened, even though the data was stolen more then a week before.

Kyoufu said:
My bank hasn't issued me a new card, and I have a PSN purchase on file.

I don't know if I can believe you guys and your anecdotal shit.
That's what I said a few pages back, even IF the CC info was stolen, it is HIGHLY unlikely they get used so early. You need to filter the data, then sell it. Selling the data so near to the hack would be pretty dangerous for the hackers.

lennylightspeed said:
Yeah I also have a 360, big deal. I'm not trying to start any flame war. Just stating what's going on. There was a charge for over $200 bucks to a Walgreen's in California and I live in Missouri. Could it have been stolen from somewhere else? I guess, but I've had my info stored on stuff like PSN, Steam, Xbox, and Amazon for years now and it's been safe. All I'm saying is what happened to me today and I'm getting it changed. Not a huge deal, but not what I would like to happen. If you're concerned, then order a new card and there's nothing to worry about. I'm not going class-action-lawsuit-batshit-crazy, but some of the people here are blindly protecting Sony when there are some genuine concerns to be had.

$200 at a Walgreen's? Wow. Hackers shop at Walgreen's. Forget a big screen TV or stereo system. 2011 hackers spend $200 on batteries, Tag body spray, and People Magazine...

the amount of people that are noticing fraud charges on there cards is to frequent to be a coincidence. I have had my bank and card for 10 years and never had a single fraud charge, well guess what happened yesterday?

FINALBOSS

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Or you buy as much as you can as fast as you can before people change their accounts. There are perfectly good reasons for thieves to either act quickly or wait, so we can all stop pretending we know when fraud attempts are going to occur.

I do agree that given the sheer number of CCs potentially stolen, there are bound to be coincidental events reported in this thread. (Not that we can know which ones are, so we should probably stop speculating about that too.)

But they already said they found "no evidence" of CC info being stolen.

I fail to see the paranoia. Especially with federal laws in combination with CC company policy about fraudulent charges...everyone is going to be fine.

Jburton

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
the amount of people that are noticing fraud charges on there cards is to frequent to be a coincidence. I have had my bank and card for 10 years and never had a single fraud charge, well guess what happened yesterday?

Coincidence?

FINALBOSS

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:

I still think it's coincidence.

How often do people share on this forum, or in general, that someone stole their CC info to buy shit? Never.

It just looks like a lot because there's been a few people mentioning it in this thread.

It reminds me of the 360 failure rate thing--people thought it was massive because of the sheer number of people who came posting about it.

Grinchy

Banned
params7 said:
The point was Sony basically sued Hotz to scare the community, not because they thought they had a case.

It backfired hard didn't it.
I know, Sony would be in much better shape if they just did nothing and everyone realized they could just pirate PS3 games from now on. Much better solution, thank you for pointing that out.

Alx

FINALBOSS said:
Maybe because 77 million people use PSN? People get unauthorized charges in vast quantities every single day. It's purely coincidental.

Or maybe it's not coincidental, and the risk of CC data being compromised turned out to be true ? How can you rule out the possibility, especially when even Sony can't guarantee that everything is safe ?

FINALBOSS said:
If you're a thief...the stupidest thing to do would be to start spending your haul while the heat is still blazing. You wait until things calm down.

It's funny, because in the original thread, other people claimed that since we hadn't heard of any fraud attempt, it meant that the CC info couldn't have leaked. So maybe there's no real consensus about when is the best time to use stolen data (maybe even among thieves ?).
Anyway if you think that the thief is supposed to wait before using his stolen info, I can't see how it could comfort you that everything is ok right now. The possibility is still there.

Melchiah

FINALBOSS said:
I'm linked.

I haven't changed any of my passwords to anything, nor any cc info.

I'm pretty confident we're all safe.

Doesn't sound that wise, especially as your Facebook password has been saved to your PSN account information.

A large newspaper here in Norway is reporting several people have had suspicious usage of their cradit/debit cards from PSN the last few days. There is a screenshot showing one transaction taking place yesterday for 100NOK (around $20), and another has had 11 transactions in the space of three days. Several more are complaining about the same in the comments field.

A.R.K

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Isn't it funny how the people who agree with us completely are also the smartest? Go figure.

I'll say something dumb now.

It's true that sometimes suing has counterproductive results, but people who are harmed by this financially (and we don't know the extent of anything yet) have the right to at least try to be compensated. If it turns out Sony's security was laughably weak, AND consumers are financially hurt by this event, it's entirely reasonable for them to seek compensation.

There...you said it yourself...so until it can be proved that it really has hurt ppl directly and not someone trying to make quick bucks, lets lay off these suits for now

and whats up with the bafflement over my statement that Sony has entertained the gamers for years and helped in creating some of the most fantastic games and gaming hardware? And that I don't want them to die because of these lawsuits as it would hurt the gaming industry with possibly more layoffs and us gamers getting less content..wtf over the sarcasm? unless you are one of the blind xbots or nintedo supporter who just wants Sony to burn in hell, why would you as a gamer want Sony to suffer? Sony is already paying the price and will be for sometime to come.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
FINALBOSS said:
But they already said they found "no evidence" of CC info being stolen.

I fail to see the paranoia. Especially with federal laws in combination with CC company policy about fraudulent charges...everyone is going to be fine.

Finding no evidence doesn't mean a thing definitely didn't happen. It could mean they have insufficient information at this time. By putting yourself way over in the "nothing to worry about at all" corner, you're setting yourself up to be very wrong in a way that could harm you. Might as well take a more moderate position and be slightly worried.

jax (old)

Banned
MoneyLaunderer said:
$200 at a Walgreen's? Wow. Hackers shop at Walgreen's. Forget a big screen TV or stereo system. 2011 hackers spend $200 on batteries, Tag body spray, and People Magazine...

with the userid, You'd be the expert ;)

but yeah. I was amused by this.

kodt

Banned
Grinchy said:
I know, Sony would be in much better shape if they just did nothing and everyone realized they could just pirate PS3 games from now on. Much better solution, thank you for pointing that out.

Or they could... you know... work on firmware updates that prevent the hacks. Sueing GeoHotz isn't going to magically make the hacks disappear. If you already hacked your PS3 there is nothing Sony can do to reverse that except try to get you to install a firmware update.

MoneyLaunderer said:

Hackers don't usually use the numbers themselves, they sell the stolen numbers and someone else uses them. Often they make small insignificant purchases to confirm the card works.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jimreilly Jim Reilly
SCEA: "When PSN is restored, friends lists, trophies and wallet funds will all be exactly as they were before."

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A.R.K said:
There...you said it yourself...so until it can be proved that it really has hurt ppl directly and not someone trying to make quick bucks, lets lay off these suits for now

and whats up with the bafflement over my statement that Sony has entertained the gamers for years and helped in creating some of the most fantastic games and gaming hardware? And that I don't want them to die because of these lawsuits as it would hurt the gaming industry with possibly more layoffs and us gamers getting less content..wtf over the sarcasm? unless you are one of the blind xbots or nintedo supporter who just wants Sony to burn in hell, why would you as a gamer want Sony to suffer? Sony is already paying the price and will be for sometime to come.

The suits filed prematurely will fail and will not destroy Sony. You're making a lot of assumptions about how damaging this could be for them.

Yes, you're right that Sony does a lot of good and no one should want them out of the industry for this reason. You just sounded a little crazy the way you said it.

Vamphuntr

Chriswok said:
Never knew that!

They could always pay MS for the rights or find a "different" way to do it but I doubt this is why PSN is taking so long to be back. Same reason why you don't have custom soundtrack on PS3.

Wazzim

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Finding no evidence doesn't mean a thing definitely didn't happen. It could mean they insufficient information at this time. By putting yourself way over in the "nothing to worry about at all" corner, you're setting yourself up to be very wrong in a way that could harm you. Might as well take a more moderate position and be slightly worried.
Yup, this is no time for damage control.

hooligan

aristotle said:
Rational thought has very little place in this thread unfortunately. Hopefully that will change soon.

Interesting point from the WSJ:

"Sony’s security

Questions do have to be asked about Sony’s security procedures, not simply with regard to how the hack was conducted, but how they store information. The admission that passwords and credit card information have been compromised, suggests that the company may not have been following industry-accepted procedures.

Password information should never be stored in an unencrypted format. Programming languages include readily-available techniques for one-way encryption of data. To mitigate against reverse look-up tables (that take the encrypted form and allow programmers to extract the password), stored passwords should be combined with another string (known as the “salt”) and the whole string encoded making them impossible to reverse engineer.

If credit card information has been compromised, then questions would need to be asked of Sony if it was following the agreed industry standards on merchants storing of credit card information. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS) are a detailed set of requirements as to what credit card information can be stored, and how."

Kagari said:
jimreilly Jim Reilly
SCEA: "When PSN is restored, friends lists, trophies and wallet funds will all be exactly as they were before."

He should get a response about how things will be handled once it goes back online. Will they do a mass reset and email everyone a new password or will it just be up to us to change our password?

plainr_

notworksafe said:
Why so many? I've only got 5. 2 US, 1 UK, 2 Japan.

I have 4 active accounts as of today. 2 US as my main accounts, 1 Euro, and 1 Japan. The rest were old dummy accounts some of which I forgot the passwords to after having my previous PS3's stolen, and some were old handles that I just didn't want anymore. That's over the course of 4 years and 6 PS3's.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Vamphuntr said:
They could always pay MS for the rights or find a "different" way to do it but I doubt this is why PSN is taking so long to be back. Same reason why you don't have custom soundtrack on PS3.

Umm custom soundtrack is available for all devs to use (and has been for a while). Most just don't implement it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
TacticalFox88 said:
And people were laughing when i said this would go down as the biggest clusterfuck of the generation. SMH

I was skeptical. So I didn't laugh nor did I take it every seriously at first. If I did, it was minimal.

LiK

Kagari said:
jimreilly Jim Reilly
My wallet funds should be increased. :)

Zoe

alr1ghtstart said:
Umm custom soundtrack is available for all devs to use (and has been for a while). Most just don't implement it.

MS has a patent for it automatically being provided by the OS, no implementation required from the dev.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
get2sammyb said:
So, now the storm has "passed" a bit, what do we think the realistic longterm consequences for PlayStation are now?

Realistically? I think most people will forget about it by E3... especially the people who don't read game forums.

Jburton said:
Awesome, lets hold a knife to someone's throat and demand work.

The sense of entitlement these hackers have is unbelievable.

Talk about being up your own ass!

I don't think you understand how this works.

Hacker hacks system for enjoyment. Obviously talented to do so. Company recognizes it, and rather than apprehend them for it, offers employment. Talent now works for them rather than against. There are plenty of famous cases of this occurring.

They don't go out and do these things to hold a knife to anyone's throat for employment, they do it because they find it to be fun.

brentech

I honestly wouldn't go through with changing credit card #'s or the like unless you have some sort of activity going on there. At the most, if you're honestly worried, I recommend:

(stated before, but directly from the site)
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) gives you specific rights when you are, or believe that you are, the victim of identity theft. Here is a brief summary of the rights designed to help you recover from identity theft.

You have the right to ask that nationwide consumer reporting agencies place "fraud alerts" in your file to let potential creditors and others know that you may be a victim of identity theft. A fraud alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you. It also may delay your ability to obtain credit. You may place a fraud alert in your file by calling just one of the three nationwide consumer reporting agencies. As soon as that agency processes your fraud alert, it will notify the other two, which then also must place fraud alerts in your file.
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com
Experian: 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com
TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com
An initial fraud alert stays in your file for at least 90 days. An extended alert stays in your file for seven years. To place either of these alerts, a consumer reporting agency will require you to provide appropriate proof of your identity, which may include your Social Security number. If you ask for an extended alert, you will have to provide an identity theft report. An identity theft report includes a copy of a report you have filed with a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency, and additional information a consumer reporting agency may require you to submit. For more detailed information about the identity theft report, visit www.consumer.gov/idtheft.

Again, I honestly don't think we're at that point of this even being needed to be done, but apparently some people live off the grid and the PSN is the only place they've ever provided their real info....

Freyjadour said:
I don't think you understand how this works.

Hacker hacks system for enjoyment. Obviously talented to do so. Company recognizes it, and rather than apprehend them for it, offers employment. Talent now works for them rather than against. There are plenty of famous cases of this occurring.

They don't go out and do these things to hold a knife to anyone's throat for employment, they do it because they find it to be fun.
There are a lot of illegal things that people find to be fun, it doesn't mean they should be rewarded for it with a job.

Ravidrath

So, I'm not saying the PSN breach isn't a big deal, but...

Last night I was talking to some game journalist friends at a bar, and they said they're under enormous pressure to push out as many PSN stories as possible. Apparently the PSN breach is a major traffic driver at the moment, so they want as many stories as possible about it.

I'm of the opinion that this kind of thing helps inflate the perception of the severity of the situation, similar to how endless repetition of a story on the 24-hour news networks can distort things.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kagari said:
Realistically? I think most people will forget about it by E3... especially the people who don't ready game forums.
Really, I don't think Sony even officially commented on the Clock bug, and it is likely to happen again in 3 years.

Kagari said:
Realistically? I think most people will forget about it by E3... especially the people who don't ready game forums.
FF 13 Versus date will finally be revealed and PSN story will be a long gone daddy.

Sony should also reveal Agent in the form of gameplay trailer as a counter weight to negative hysteria.

Kagari said:

To be honest, I hope so. I'm as pissed as everybody else about what's happened, but I am also a huge fan of the brand and have been for many years. Beneath all the rage and disappointment at the fact that an event like this even ocurred, I'm ravaged with sadness. This really was supposed to be the year of the PlayStation. Regardless of sales, they had (and still have) one of the most impressive first-party line-ups of all times this year.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom