• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Kyoufu said:
Mama Robotnik will donate to him.

On a more serious note, I wonder are those people who are blaming Sony for all of this, and calling for class action lawsuit, perhaps the same people who were cheering for GeoHot, and booing Sony back in those threads?

IonicSnake said:
Haha. I'm just saying, even if they are very sure but not 100% then they can't say that they are. They can say that CC probably didn't leak or that there is no evidance of it, you know, like they are doing now. :p
Yeah i understand, was just being an ass.

Melchiah said:
On a more serious note, I wonder are those people who are blaming Sony for all of this, and calling for class action lawsuit, perhaps the same people who were cheering for GeoHot, and booing Sony back in those threads?
Fanboy plebe be a fickle mistress.
That bitch.

Rubenov

Nakiro said:
I think it's more interesting that there's $100 of gas charges...

About two months ago I had my CC info stolen; they charged about $80 for Xbox Live (?!) and two CARFAX charges for 44.95 each.

I called my CC company just to let them know the lo-down. They were already aware of the situation and assured me that fraudulent charges are protected against by intrinsic insurances already existing on the card.

None of my financial institutions, non-spammy email accounts or anything like that share the same password as my PSN either.

No need to cancel or worry at this time.

Melchiah said:
This has nothing to do with the Geohot case as much as you'd like it to.

Wizman23

Banned
This thread is at it's best when FINALBOSS and Metalmurphy are online. Somewhere in the land of the internets Wollan and Private Hoffman are reading their posts getting choked up shedding a few tears.

MoneyLaunderer said:
The more I hear about fraudulent charges, the more I'm disappointed in these hackers. $200 at Walgreen's, $1,000 at Wal-Mart? C'mon, guys. I guess the economy has struck hackers, too. Instead of Rolex watches and new speakers, they're buying diapers, groceries, and their grandmother's medication.
Have you ever bought anything expensive with a credit card at all? Most credit card companies have fraud prevention programs and lock the card if a large sum of money is spent at once, and forces the cardowner to call the CC company to confirm.

I've had a misused stolen card before, and the people who stole the card decided to spend about $500 at Stop-n-Shop. That doesn't raise suspicions as much as buying Rolex watches do.

FINALBOSS said:
Cause you bolded the wrong damn part?
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken
Dude. Seriously. I'm not looking to quote battle. I bolded the parts of the email that's most relevant to consumers. You know, the parts where Sony advises you that all of your info (possibly minus your cc security code?) has been compromised.

Read what their legal department wrote. This is a giant corporation sending out an admission of guilt which has been carefully worded for maximum liability protection. It's your info at stake, if you wanna stick your head in the sand that's your call. Hopefully nothing will come of this, but I'm not taking that chance.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
AT THIS TIME. There is always the possibility of evidence emerging at any time after the moment of the report and they clearly know that, hence the wording. Of course Sony are going to be extra conservative about confirming whether anything was stolen. You should be just ever-so-slightly distrustful of them as a source for the time being. It's completely irrational of you to take "no evidence yet!" as some kind of definitive statement that everything is (and will continue to be) fine.

just as everyone shouldn't assume the worst either. only go by what you know, and until you know, don't act like you do.

this is why there is so much anger towards the media right now is because they're spinning this as hard as they can to stir up as much shit as possible.

Yo guys, any new news about the restoration of the PSN, there seems to be someone on GAF that knows something, can you please teases us a little bit please, whoever you are.

railGUN

Banned
Melchiah said:

I wonder, are the people feverishly defending Sony throughout all of this, and telling strangers to not worry about their credit cards and bank accounts, perhaps the same people who were accusing GeoHot of fleeing the country and spending legal fund donations on a vacation, and donating to Sony via the PSN Store?

LiK

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Yo guys, any new news about the restoration of the PSN, there seems to be someone on GAF that knows something, can you please teases us a little bit please, whoever you are.

zero news. probably not up until at the end of the week earliest.

darkhunger said:
Have you ever bought anything expensive with a credit card at all? Most credit card companies have fraud prevention programs and lock the card if a large sum of money is spent at once, and forces the cardowner to call the CC company to confirm.

I've had a misused stolen card before, and the people who stole the card decided to spend about $500 at Stop-n-Shop. That doesn't raise suspicions as much as buying Rolex watches do.

I understand the logic, but I guess if I was a hacker I'd be swinging for the fences instead of buying $500 worth of crap at a gas station. If I'm spending $500, I'm making it count because I'm probably going to get caught anyway. But you're right, they're trying to keep suspicions down. But with the attention this is getting, if these charges are PSN related, the person/people will be screwed anyway.

expy

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Just received the mail in japanese from Sony for my fake JPN psn account. I have yet to receive the one from my real one.
They could be sending emails only to those accounts affected/compromised.

Okay, I almost just had a panic attack, I thought my phone's Identity was stolen:

Just today, out of nowhere, my phone stops being able to send out text messages and phone calls. When I make a call, i get a message saying verizon wireless cant authenticate my call and if I keep having trouble, please dial some number.

It turns out its just something that Verizon does, I called them directly and they told me to do it and it fixed everything right up. But jeez, the fucking timing was the worst...

Also, I know I am an idiot and this is probably something obvious to everyone else and wouldn't worry a soul, but I figure I'd share my idiocy

RPGCrazied

I haven't got the email yet, but I guess it takes a few days to push out that many emails. It doesn't matter though, its just a copy / paste job from the blog we've already read.

Porkepik

i'm not worried too much on my CC number , more on my identity. CC are easily replaceable and in canada you don't get charged for fraud use. Identity is a bit more difficult to change.

Still had to change my Main email account password(which was associated with PSn and had the same password after checking into it. It's probably the only duplicate password I had and it falls on this event damn.

Got my email today

The Lamonster said:
Goddamn! Fuck this shit. I want to beat people up in MK ASAP.

Seriously. While I don't have MK I want to buy Arcana Hearts so bad... it's weird I passed on it before but with PSN down I want it.

Luckily, I have Senior Thesis work to get done so no gaming for me (although I did beat Portal 2 last night...)...until Friday. Shit better be fixed yo.

snap0212

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
You mean the user SonyComputerEntertainment? I think he went to bed already, but SonyComputerEntertainmentJapan should be up soon.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
just as everyone shouldn't assume the worst either. only go by what you know, and until you know, don't act like you do.

this is why there is so much anger towards the media right now is because they're spinning this as hard as they can to stir up as much shit as possible.
Why shouldn't you assume the worst here? Why do people keep saying this, what's the thought process? AT WORST consumers get informed that their personal info was been compromised, so they tighten up their personal security and get a new CC. What's that, an hour of their time for easy piece of mind? That's nothing compared to what could happen if the shit really hits the fan.

Seriously, I'm completely baffled by some of the responses in here. Who cares if the media runs with this? Maybe the bad PR will force Sony to be forthcoming with more info or institute something like the extended warranty MS did in response to the RROD fiasco. There's literally no downside here.

Mastperf

Wizman23 said:
This thread is at it's best when FINALBOSS and Metalmurphy are online. Somewhere in the land of the internets Wollan and Private Hoffman are reading their posts getting choked up shedding a few tears.
I don't know if I should laugh because it's funny or cry because it's true.

UberTag

I only have one credit card linked to my PSN account (identical username as my GAF and Xbox LIVE accounts, btw); it has a restricted spending limit and has remained secure with no mystery charges over a number of years.

While I am changing some critical passwords, I am NOT doing anything with my credit card simply as a litmus test to gauge whether my credit card details are floating around somewhere.

I will be monitoring my online statement daily and if any mysterious charges surface then at least I will know that credit card details were indeed compromised as opposed to the nebulous "may have been but probably not" that's floating around. This card has been used responsibly so a phantom charge could only emanate from Sony's hacked database and nowhere else.

The Lamonster said:
Goddamn! Fuck this shit. I want to beat people up in MK ASAP.

Don't get too hopeful yet. They said they would have "some services" up within a week. That doesn't necessarily include online play.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
CcrooK said:
That's what I've read too. Just wondering about the people here with their cards getting jacked so just a small little panic. I just hope this shit all goes away smoothly and we don't see anyone get hit hard with something. It's a pain in the ass and hassle to get things back they way they are.

I haven't seen any suspicious on the account the card is on.

MoneyLaunderer said:
I understand the logic, but I guess if I was a hacker I'd be swinging for the fences instead of buying $500 worth of crap at a gas station. If I'm spending $500, I'm making it count because I'm probably going to get caught anyway. But you're right, they're trying to keep suspicions down. But with the attention this is getting, if these charges are PSN related, the person/people will be screwed anyway.
I doubt the hackers would actually be the ones using the cards... Usually what happens is the info gets sold/given to others. That protects the hackers/identity thieves from being traced.

jayb

Ickman3400 said:
Don't get too hopeful yet. They said they would have "some services" up within a week. That doesn't necessarily include online play.

hopefully online play will be the first "service" to go back up. leave off store access, friends list, trophy sync, account info ... i don't care. just let me play online, dang it! :(

DogWelder

MoneyLaunderer said:
My brother's card was rejected at point of purchase once at a Best Buy when he was buying a laptop and the CC company immediately called him and asked him if he was actually purchasing the computer. They said two days previous he had bought $200 worth of gas cards at a gas station and that they are the first place CC thieves go 'cause it's self-serve transactions--no verification of ID needed. And of course gas cards are easy as fuck to sell.

Edit: But you should know the ins-and-outs of fraud, judging by your name!

snap0212 said:
You mean the user SonyComputerEntertainment? I think he went to bed already, but SonyComputerEntertainmentJapan should be up soon.

HAHAHAHA no dude, seriously, there seems to be a user in GAF, not me of course, that works for sony computer entertainment, don´t know who he is and logically i´ll never know, but who knows maybe he comes out with something new.

blazinglazers said:
Why shouldn't you assume the worst here? Why do people keep saying this, what's the thought process? AT WORST consumers get informed that their personal info was been compromised, so they tighten up their personal security and get a new CC. What's that, an hour of their time for easy piece of mind? That's nothing compared to what could happen if the shit really hits the fan.

Seriously, I'm completely baffled by some of the responses in here. Who cares if the media runs with this? Maybe the pad PR will force Sony to be forthcoming with more info or institute something like the extended warranty MS did in response to the RROD fiasco. There's literally no downside here.
Sony's honor. That has to be protected.

I agree with you 100%

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Just saw this in my local news of all thing warning about changing your password & other infos whenever the network comes back. Shit is serious.

Alx

Ickman3400 said:

But maybe online play would be the easier thing to get running first, since it shouldn't depend on the new security system as much as the online store or movie rentals.

Nothing suspicious on my card either. I replaced it anyway just in case. Bank was surprisingly good -- irritating issue, but problem was solved in all of about 90 seconds to be honest.

Sony Sued Over PlayStation Network Breach

The Sony PlayStation Network outage has prompted questions about data security and a congressional inquiry, and now you can add class-action lawsuit to the list.

A California-based firm has filed suit against Sony, accusing the company of failing to adequately protect, encrypt, and secure its customer data. The suit seeks damages for the data loss and PlayStation Network downtime.

"We bought this lawsuit on behalf of consumers to learn the full extent of Sony PlayStation Network data security practices and the data loss and to seek a remedy for consumers," Ira P. Rothken, an attorney who filed the complaint, said in a statement. "We are hopeful that Sony will take this opportunity to learn from the network vulnerabilities, provide a remedy to consumers who entrusted their sensitive data to Sony, and lead the way in data security best practices going forward."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384523,00.asp

are we able to change our login pass through us.playstation.com/psn or do we have to wait for sony to sort this out first?

not knowing if your CC deets are compromised must be the worst, im glad I have only used pre-paid card so far. seriously this is turning into another clock fiasco Apocalyps3.net

Zomba13

So far no suspicious activity on my accounts or my debit card (yet).
Even though my passwords for other things were different than my PSN password I've taken this opportunity to mix them up and enable all the extra verification stuff (like the google thing with the authenticator). I'm thinking I'll have to cancel/get a new debit card but I'm still hoping it hasn't been compromised and everyone who's card has been has just been a coincidence (probably not but I can hope).

Really sucks and has taught me not to trust things with my debit/credit card details, seems no matter how big the company is they can still fail to protect your shit.

LiK

maxcer0081 said:
are we able to change our login pass through us.playstation.com/psn or do we have to wait for sony to sort this out first?

not knowing if your CC deets are compromised must be the worst, im glad I have only used pre-paid card so far. seriously this is turning into another clock fiasco Apocalyps3.net

you won't be able to log in until PSN is back up but yea, you'll need to change your pw etc as soon as it's back up to make sure your account is safe.

paskowitz

blazinglazers said:

Seriously, I'm completely baffled by some of the responses in here. Who cares if the media runs with this? Maybe the bad PR will force Sony to be forthcoming with more info or institute something like the extended warranty MS did in response to the RROD fiasco. There's literally no downside here.

If I could promote this comment, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom