• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pargonta

FINALBOSS said:
Anyone else in the control subject group with me? Not changing any of my info <3

same

also, Sony has not sent me an email.

they have not contacted me directly to tell me about this breach.
maybe when they do i will take action.

jsrv

Is Sony sending e-mails to users detailing which cards are used on your account, or do we have to wait until the service is back up to check payment history?

I got an email on my US account, but no email for my UK account (which is the one with my credit card details attached to it) - I'm not sure whether to cancel my credit card (as this will be a huge pain in the ass), or wait it out to see if it blows over.

jsrv said:
Is Sony sending e-mails to users detailing which cards are used on your account, or do we have to wait until the service is back up to check payment history?

considering emails and passwords were obtained that could lead someone to your email I doubt Sony would be sending that info to you.

I would check your past bank statements and look for PSN charges.

LiK

jsrv said:

they send out pretty generic info about checking your credit card accounts and signing up for a monitoring service. it's pretty much all on you at this point. you'll need to check it yourself (for now)

DiscoJer

LiK said:
you won't be able to log in until PSN is back up but yea, you'll need to change your pw etc as soon as it's back up to make sure your account is safe.

I think Sony needs to change the password for everyone, and send it to the email address.

Because otherwise, other than there being 70 million accounts (which I admit is no small thing), what is keeping the hackers from stealing the accounts once PSN goes back up?

Or worse, what if he dumps all the usernames and passwords on a torrent or something?

Nakiro

Dipindots said:
I think a lawsuit is a little over the top... just cashing in on the issue.
I don't think there will be any cashing in at all.. if your information was on PSN you probably agreed to the ToS which covers Sony in case of data lost.

KJTB

DiscoJer said:
I think Sony needs to change the password for everyone, and send it to the email address.

That could lead to some serious issues with users who use throw away emails and stuff for their PSN. I could see A LOT of people not being able to get back onto their PSN...

LiK

DiscoJer said:

Because otherwise, other than there being 70 million accounts (which I admit is no small thing), what is keeping the hackers from stealing the accounts once PSN goes back up?

Or worse, what if he dumps all the usernames and passwords on a torrent or something?

i know, i dunno why they don't automatically reset the pws and send it to the account emails. they put it on us to change it as soon as PSN is back up which is backwards. Google automatically resetted my pw when it thought my Gmail was hacked a year ago.

Akkad

Banned
DiscoJer said:

I hope they do, because I forgot my password.

Nakiro said:
I don't think there will be any cashing in at all.. if your information was on PSN you probably agreed to the ToS which covers Sony in case of data lost.
Wasn't there a new Terms of Service recently? hmm...

is there some way Sony can have you change your password when the services goes back up? our profiles are stored locally correct? cant they authenticate that somehow and then have us create a new password right then?

edit: also how do you deal with bringing everyone online ? the servers are going to experience some crazy loads.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Maybe they'll set something up where when you log in for the first time when PSN comes back up, you'll be prompted to pick a new PW.

I think putting the responsibility of changing your account PW into the hands of players shows that Sony isn't too worried about what was actually taken.

Nizz

Neither the Experian or Equifax links in the OP are working for me. I'd like to get my free credit report.

Xabora

FINALBOSS said:
Maybe they'll set something up where when you log in for the first time when PSN comes back up, you'll be prompted to pick a new PW.

I think putting the responsibility of changing your account PW into the hands of players shows that Sony isn't too worried about what was actually taken.
Denial - Anger - Bargaining - Depression - Acceptance

jergrah

jsrv said:

Wouldnt be shocked if they did this with the full CC Number in plain text :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shadowlink said:
Are they sending emails to everyone? Haven't received any email yet.

I got two mails about the new EULA but nothing about account breach. What mail are we expecting? Can someone describe it?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JambiBum said:
What in the hell is wrong with you? Fucking fanboy shit in this thread is pathetic. Some of you ought to be ashamed and you know who you are. Some of you don't even care for Sony yet don't mind the occasional thread to get your free bash in.

And yea, this is real to me too but this thread reeks of crap.

UberTag

JetBlackPanda said:
is there some way Sony can have you change your password when the services goes back up? our profiles are stored locally correct? cant they authenticate that somehow and then have us create a new password right then?

edit: also how do you deal with bringing everyone online ? the servers are going to experience some crazy loads.
First article I've seen (courtesy of G4's Stephen Johnson) relating to what hoops PSN users can expect to jump through to restore access to their online identity once the "newly rebuilt PSN" is turned back on.

It's quite insightful and makes it painfully clear that it will not be a simple matter of turning our systems on and signing in.

When The PlayStation Network Returns, Will Your Trophies Return Too?

Vamphuntr

OuterWorldVoice said:
I got two mails about the new EULA but nothing about account breach. What mail are we expecting? Can someone describe it?

Here it is

PlayStation(R)Network

===================================

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a
full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly
and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province,
zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation
Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN
online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip
or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent,
the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained.
While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time,
we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card
data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution
we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and
expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification
or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you
are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the
entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are
fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your
password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity
user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we
strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss,
we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements
and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of
this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working
around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as
possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will
continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to
protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and
secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority.
Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

dr_octagon

Banned
adding to what blazinglazers said - irrespective of Sony's poor handling of the situation, if you are concerned, you can get a replacement card / change passwords and it's a minor hassle. If nothing happens, that's good but cancelling a card may give people peace of mind and they won't have to keep a closer eye on their account (you should be checking your account regularly anyway tbh).

If the problem is less / more serious than reported, it doesn't matter. Don't feel the need to wait for further instruction or information, there has been a statement made and emails are being sent out. You don't need to be told if you have been personally affected or wait until money may or may not be taken out of your account at a later stage. This would be standard practice for any sort of security breach. Use your own judgement, taking precautionary steps is sensible and doesn't equate to panicking and burning effigies of sony employees.

A few hours ago, my CC was rejected when I tried to pay the lunch. I got scared and I checked the movements.... it was simply that I got over the monthly limit. Hackers won't be able to steal me until next month.

Persona7

Banned
jergrah said:
Wouldnt be shocked if they did this with the full CC Number in plain text :p
Pretty sure they only include the last 4 digits.

Also, I hope they don't force reset passwords because one of my accounts is linked to an email I don't have access too anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom