• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcm

params7 said:
Well whatever it is, it wasn't enough was it?

I'm not implying this is the case for Sony, but companies can follow all best practices, keep all software up to date, and still get breached. There's no such thing as foolproof security. The fact of a breach alone is not evidence of a mistake on the victim's part.

That said, companies generally make mistakes with their security. It's really hard to do well. Hell, even RSA got breached, and that's one firm you'd think would know better.

linkboy said:
My Gmail account was just hacked by someone in Slovania and some spam email was send out. Its the same account I used on PSN. I've had this account for years and its the first time it was hacked.
Did you use the same password for both accounts?

Zoe

TTP said:
Heck, I realized by pure accident that Play.com was hacked just a few days ago and I do purchase from them quite often! (Never got the warning email either).

Try googling "[company name here] Security Breach". Lots of fun stories!

Oh cool, that article tipped me off about the "plus addressing" feature in Gmail.

FunnyBunny said:
In the US, companies can also face massive fines for not disclosing security breaches. For some to suggest Sony made a mistake by alerting tens-of-millions of its users had their data compromised is stunning.

They will disclose it, but typically just to the affected users at first.

linkboy said:
My Gmail account was just hacked by someone in Slovania and some spam email was send out. Its the same account I used on PSN. I've had this account for years and its the first time it was hacked.

Just hacked? Why didn't you change your password?

linkboy said:
Same password as your account?

YakiSOBA

What do you think Sony will give us PS3 owners to make up for this? I hope they give us a bunch of free games (like full retail ones not downloadable app-quality ones):D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
YakiSOBA said:
What do you think Sony will give us PS3 owners to make up for this? I hope they give us a bunch of free games (like full retail ones not downloadable app-quality ones):D

Dream bigger. I hope they give us free PS4s.

YakiSOBA

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Dream bigger. I hope they give us free PS4s.

Haha I would love that but that's definitely not realistic :p I have 4 PS3's at home, if they give everyone say 1-2 retail games I'll be so happy :D

linkboy

Zoe said:
Just hacked? Why didn't you change your password?

My job in the Air Force takes me away from an unblocked internet, so I couldn't access my Gmail account to change it. I didn't get home until just now and I've been gone for the last week.

And yes, it was the same password as my PSN account (I got stupid and careless).

I just installed LastPass (was going to do it earlier and forgot) and I'm in the process of changing my passwords.

I think I got it all back under control.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
YakiSOBA said:
Haha I would love that but that's definitely not realistic :p I have 4 PS3's at home, if they give everyone say 1-2 retail games I'll be so happy :D

They aren't giving anyone retail games. The vast majority of users will have suffered no losses other than lack of access to PSN which is free. They'll probably extend everyone's PS+ and DCUO subscriptions to make it up to them. For everyone else, I'd be a little surprised if we got even a 10 dollar downloadable game of their choice. This has already cost them a lot. They're not going to throw 77-154 million retail games at us to make us feel all better. The people who are truly outraged on principle can't be bought back and everyone else will get over it excepting the few who get their identities stolen.

That is my pessimistic/realistic take.

LowParry

YakiSOBA said:

I don't expect anything. If we do however, kudos. However if I were to ask for something, maybe a PS1 classic game of my choosing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

PRIZES ARE BEING OFFERED!
Whoever guesses the date correctly gets to choose between a $20 prize of your choice (PSN, MS Points, Nintendo Points, Steam, etc. as long as it's in North America) (thanks to Mr_Elysia), or a limited edition Xbox 360 faceplate from Zero Hour (thanks to Krakatoa). If there are multiple winners, I will use some randomizer thingy to chose a random winner. If no one guesses the date right, well...a random person from the whole pool will be chosen just for participating.
I will do another drawing for the prize that the winner didn't choose within the winning date pool. If only 1 person guessed the correct date, then everyone will be in the pool.

Keep in mind, we'll use the USA region to determine when PSN goes up, and it will be based on the Pacific time zone. So if it goes up at 11:59 PM PDT on May 4th, then May 4th is the winning date.

If your name isn't listed or is in the wrong date, let me know

April 29 - EL Beefo, demigod
April 30 - hikarutilmitt, Rewrite, YianGaruga, Sblargh, Adamm
May 1 - Marius_, ULTROS!, ApolloJoh, RbBrdMan, mr stroke, Tonza, jayb, Trin3785, dirkdiggy, robut, Seraphis Cain, mufraka, Beam, B1gg_Randall
May 2 - Wario64, Hex, AwesomeSauce, Dead Man, plainr_, pharmboy044, chubigans, KingOfKong, Miutsu, reKon, PigSpeakers, Jinfash, Complexgod, onQ123, Trevelyon, Kccitystar, Killthee, Fistwell, Atruvius, Jaroof, polyh3dron, shagg_187, LiK, Jax, get2sammyb, Giriath_89, grkazan12, electroshockwave, Hanmik, TheSeks, enewtabie, The_Darkest_Red, aristotle, fadetoblack, Zoibie, Sp3eD, Oni Jazar, Withnail, giancarlo123x, caliblue15, TheBrain76, Cloudius12, Firehead, FINALBOSS
May 3 - xaosslug, arnoldocastillo2003, Professor Beef, gutter_trash, Dreamgazer, QuantumBro, RustyNails, ZeroRay, polg, daegan, Stoffinator, angelfly, StunandStab, Kaizer, Revolutionary, spats, Xater, lawblob, MooMoo, hirokazu, DMeisterJ, cjtiger300, Dedication Through Light, KenOD, No_Style, DaBuddaDa, gl0w, BLSwagger10, Kung Fu Grip, vilmer_, xKilltheMx, spindashing, phosphor112, Paznos, DenogginizerOS, Zoe, Shalashaska, Majine, LyleLanley, Rebel Leader, gregor7777, FunkyPajamas, Dark Schala, Crewnh
May 4 - Ickman3400, RPGCrazied, Sword Familiar, Prodigal, V_Ben, BeeDog, PjotrStroganov, Mr_Brit, Neuromancer, Rikyfree, darkjedi187, Ikkarus, iNvidious01, Billychu, Mikey Jr., raebodep, lastinline, Arpharmd B, sn1pes, kinoki, Manticore, offshore
May 5- upJTboogie, CcrooK, TOM f'N CRUISE, Voltron64, Marrshu, JLG-, upJTboogie, Metalmurphy, olimpia84, CadetMahoney, NYR, falconzss, MushroomSamba
May 6 - Snack, UberTag, Aselith, StevePharma, Y2Kev, Urban Scholar, _dementia, Xiul, ChocolateCupcakes
May 7 - Dipindots, pslayer666, Persona7, AlberichMX
May 8 - nny, leroidys, BlueSummers
May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg, Proposed Law, blazinglazers, Violater
May 10 - Noshino, Baconbitz, CitizenCope, purple cobra, nckillthegrimace
May 11 - Kafel, timetokill, ithorien
May 12 - DavieC726, Beer Monkey
May 13 - The Spoony Hou
May 14 - bernardobri
May 15 - Megadragon15, Jakeh111

May 17 - Winterblink, D4Danger
May 18 - keit4, izakq

May 23 - Ryu Hayabusa

May 25 - Firest0rm

May 27 - RPG_Fanatic

May 30 - DryEyeRelief
May 31 - equap
June 1 - Sgt.Pepper
June 2 - SteelAttack

June 6 - DrForester, Hexadecimalt

June 16 - Brannon

July 4 - Krakatoa
July 5 - TigerUppercut

July 7 - nli10

Nov 1 - Net_Wrecker

Nov 11 - vissione

Dec 12 2012 - Combichristoffersen

Dec 21 2012 - Jal

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just a question, since someone is giving a $20 card, what will happen if there are multiple winners?

Edit: nvm

Barrett2

YakiSOBA said:

Everyone gets PSN+ for three months.

linkboy said:
My job in the Air Force takes me away from an unblocked internet, so I couldn't access my Gmail account to change it. I didn't get home until just now and I've been gone for the last week.

And yes, it was the same password as my PSN account (I got stupid and careless).

I just installed LastPass (was going to do it earlier and forgot) and I'm in the process of changing my passwords.
Well that sucks. Sorry for your trouble.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
PlayStation PLUS to everyone for two months. They relaunch PSN with new PS Plus features as well: voice chat, video chat, etc.

... that would be a smart business move. They'd probably make a few new subscriptions off people who like the features they use for those two months.

params7 said:
Hotz is the iphone hero. And iphone/android savvy community is HUGE. Which is one of the big reasons Hotz got the funding support vs Sony.

If this organization which is behind this is caught, nobody will give a crap. Look at anon's history and show me where they've protested arrests of pirates or black hat hackers such as PSN hacker.
i'm not saying sony helping put away this criminal would encourage further attacks. i'm just saying it won't discourage further attacks.

the target is evidentally still painted on Sony. i'm not sure what they can do at this point to redirect it. sending down the hacker responsible for this isn't going to achieve that, i don't think, because threat of punishment doesn't discourage hackers.

that's all.

jcm

linkboy said:

I think I got it all back under control.

Ugh. Sorry dude. While you're at it, you might consider turning on two factor authentication in Gmail. It's pretty painless, and gives me some piece of mind. I've read reports of gmail hackers deleting all emails just to be dicks, and I know my mother would totally fall for the "mugged overseas" trick.

operon

PlayStation hack: credit card data 'for sale'

The unverified claims were relayed by security researchers who have been trying to find out more about the breach in underground forums.

After it disclosed the breach on Tuesday, Sony said that the unencrypted non-financial details of 77 million PlayStation Network and Qriocity users were stolen, but that it had no evidence that a separate encrypted data table of credit card information was accessed.

However, security researcher Kevin Stevens said a database of 2.2 million PlayStation Network credit cards was being offered for sale on hacker forums.

He said criminals were seeking more than $100,000 for the information, which included full names, addresses, PlayStation Network usernames and passwords, and credit card numbers and expiry dates. Crucially, the sellers also claimed to have the three-digit security codes from the back of the cards.

“I never saw the database so I can't verify if it is real,” he added.
Forum postings also claimed that the thieves had tried to sell the data back to Sony but did not receive a response.

The firm switched off its systems and called in the FBI when it realised it had been hacked on 20 April. The services remain offline and are not expected to return until at least Wednesday as Sony is moving them to a more secure data centre.

Mathew Solnik, a security consultant with at iSEC Partners, told the New York Times: “Sony is saying the credit cards were encrypted, but we are hearing that the hackers made it into the main database, which would have given them access to everything, including credit card numbers.”

He added that researchers believe the hackers gained access by first hacking a PlayStation console, which they used to infiltrate Sony’s servers.

Even without credit card data, the theft is already considered among the biggest in history and Sony is likely to face a barrage of lawsuits over its security procedures.
Source: Telegraph

Checked last few pages to see if this is posted, anyone hear anything else like this, or is this more bull shit

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Wario64 said:
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

May 4th here.

But inside I feel a little sad. It's still down. I want it online today. :(

Zoe

jcm said:
Ugh. Sorry dude. While you're at it, you might consider turning on two factor authentication in Gmail. It's pretty painless, and gives me some piece of mind. I've read reports of gmail hackers deleting all emails just to be dicks, and I know my mother would totally fall for the "mugged overseas" trick.

When my gmail got hacked (some exploit in the web interface), they copied all new emails to an external address and then had them go straight to the trash. They used it to get into my ebay account and set up fake auctions.

operon said:

Checked last few pages to see if this is posted, anyone hear anything else like this, or is this more bull shit

Dude, twice within the ten posts above you.

Might be old news as it always is in a fast moving thread but:

Homeland Security, FBI looking into PSN breach

eSX5q.gif

LowParry

Dead Man said:
DAK1DSK1 HAS SPOKEN. ALL BETTING SHIT IN ANOTHER THREAD.

:lol

I know right? lol

It's better to keep the bet pool up then people's wild speculation of what is and what isn't. Not the mention the "My CC was hacked! Fuck you Sony!" bullshit. However I do like to hear things from an IT perspective (Blim for example).

UFRA

operon said:

If someone had $100,000 to spend, I doubt they'd need an identity to steal since they're obviously doing quite well with their own lol.

I'm betting May 5th. Hope it's sooner though...really wanna play Outland already. :(

Adam Prime said:
PlayStation PLUS to everyone for two months. They relaunch PSN with new PS Plus features as well: voice chat, video chat, etc.

... that would be a smart business move. They'd probably make a few new subscriptions off people who like the features they use for those two months.

Yeah, I think that's the route they're gonna go, but maybe a month free at most. Two or more would be overkill/awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom