• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
w5c9T.png

FINALBOSS said:
Bonus points to Sony for even telling us about it in the first place.

Yeah, thet could have gone down the illegal route, but props to them for not breaking the law and instead following the only choice that was open to them and informing their customers that they have not adequately protected their personal data. As they were pretty much legally obligated to do as a business.

Big points, massive points, intergalactically stupendous number of points awarded there.

Alx

Now that's funny, I just received the Sony e-mail... although I didn't know I had a PSN account. I remember I reserved a login name prior to the PS3 launch, but I thought it had an expiration date.
Or maybe I created one from my PSP ? I can't remember... :/
(no chance of having my CC info up there, though, so I'm not too worried)

linkboy said:
My Gmail account was just hacked by someone in Slovania and some spam email was send out. Its the same account I used on PSN. I've had this account for years and its the first time it was hacked.

I feel like gmail accounts are just notoriously attacked. I had no details slipped on my account and mine was used from China for a while to send out WoW stuff for some reason, and even after continuously changing the password. It took a two or three weeks for it to finally stop.

Xyrmellon said:
The credit card rumor (that has largely been debunked), is in full rotation on U.S. cable stations now. Saw it within the last hour on both MSNBC and Foxnews, and they're reporting that hackers are bragging they have the numbers and shopping them. Not being reported as a rumor or possibility.

I thought Sony issued quick response, I guess there was no way to stop it with every site adding their own twist...

Zoe

Mama Robotnik said:
Yeah, thet could have gone down the illegal route, but props to them for not breaking the law and instead following the only choice that was open to them and informing their customers that they have not adequately protected their personal data. As they were pretty much legally obligated to do as a business.

Big points, massive points, intergalactically stupendous number of points awarded there.

They had to tell those affected, but they didn't have to make world-wide press releases.

Zoe said:
They had to tell those affected, but they didn't have to make world-wide press releases.

Given that they don't know who "Those affected" are, and credit details may have been compromised, they had to tell everyone.

*Fucking bonus points*? This shit has gone insane.

Aru

Cancelled both of my CC today, just to be safe (it was free of charge anyway... It's only a bit annoying to not have my CC for a week or so).

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
Given that they don't know who "Those affected" are, and credit details may have been compromised, they had to tell everyone.

They "only" had to tell the 77 million email accounts.

Diablos said:
The Supreme Court imposed serious limits on class action lawsuits. Sony must be really happy about that. Thanks, Bush.

I believe that's only if you willfully enter an agreement that forces you to handle things in arbitration. PSN has no such agreement.

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
So where did Sony earn the bonus points?

I'm not the one who said "bonus points," just that they were under no legal obligation to tell ~*everyone*~.

If there's one thing everyone should be grateful for, it's that Sony caught the breach and not the credit card companies via their customers. The last two big credit card breaches went on for months.

UberTag

How should we show our gratitude to Sony when PSN goes back up?
Which PSN title should we immediately purchase?

Forum gratitude is meaningless after all. We have to be able to show it in a way that Sony truly knows how appreciative we are.
That means dollars.

Alx

Zoe said:
I'm not the one who said "bonus points," just that they were under no legal obligation to tell ~*everyone*~.

With 77 milion e-mails sent and the PSN shut down, there was no way they could put a lid on the info, anyway. So it's easier to come clear with an official statement than let all the rumors spread.

Zoe said:

What is the point of your argument if they had to send out 77 million emails? I mean, logically, where are you going with that?

Barrett2

UberTag said:

Forum gratitude is meaningless after all. We have to be able to show it in a way that Sony truly knows how appreciative we are.
That means dollars.

Let us come together and all purchase some $3.00 bikini model wallpaper jpgs, to assist Sony in their hour of need.

Aru said:
Cancelled both of my CC today, just to be safe (it was free of charge anyway... It's only a bit annoying to not have my CC for a week or so).

people are still canceling their cards regardless of the fact no CC #s have been jeopardized? Tin foil hats in full effect here in this thread!

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
What is the point of your argument if they had to send out 77 million emails? I mean, logically, where are you going with that?

People are acting as if they would have had the law coming down on them if they hadn't made their announcement on the blog, and that is not true. They only have the obligation to contact those affected.

Zoe said:
People are acting as if they would have had the law coming down on them if they hadn't made their announcement on the blog, and that is not true. They only have the obligation to contact those affected.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what we were talking about when FINALBOSS made his idiotic comment. There's a name for that sort of argument...

Salaadin

KingOfKong said:
people are still canceling their cards regardless of the fact no CC #s have been jeopardized? Tin foil hats in full effect here in this thread!

I think that cancelling your card in case something might happen is better than cancelling it after something already did happen. Tinfoil hats or not, playing it safe in a situation like this is never a bad thing.

params7

Banned
About the CVV codes, I do remember putting in the code when entering the card for the first time..can anybody else 100% confirm that PSN never ever asked for the CVV codes? Or asked them every time manually?

Chrange

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

Lets also give Sony big points for teaching us all a lesson about security, and getting many of us to finally change our passwords to more secure ones. They didn't really need to do that.

Salaadin

params7 said:
About the CVV codes, I do remember putting in the code when entering the card for the first time..can anybody else 100% confirm that PSN never ever asked for the CVV codes? Or asked them every time manually?

Some people remember putting them in, others dont. Theres a screenshot of the sign up procress that clearly shows them asking for the CVV code, though.
However, there were some quotes, rules, and laws pulled from various sources a few pages back that stated that a company is not allowed to keep or store CVV information.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Thanks for the help on my question. :)

I won't completely freak out until I see an unwanted charge on my statement. Also, I'm not sure what password I supplied for PSN. :S

Zoe

Salaadin said:
Some people remember putting them in, others dont. Theres a screenshot of the sign up procress that clearly shows them asking for the CVV code, though.
However, there were some quotes, rules, and laws pulled from various sources a few pages back that stated that a company is not allowed to keep or store CVV information.

That screenshot was from the EU site (or at least was hotlinked from it). Only the US blog said that they never asked for the code. The EU blog doesn't say that at all.

linkboy

Dedication Through Light said:
I feel like gmail accounts are just notoriously attacked. I had no details slipped on my account and mine was used from China for a while to send out WoW stuff for some reason, and even after continuously changing the password. It took a two or three weeks for it to finally stop.

They are, but the fact that it was the account I used with PSN and (mistakenly) used the same password, its just to much of a coincedence.

The bigger problem was that account is also my Android Google account, which is tied to the Marketplace (which means CC info) and can be accessed when you're logged into Gmail.

I think I caught that in time as I haven't seen any activity on my account and I contacted my bank to shut my card down.

offshore

Zoe said:
That screenshot was from the EU site (or at least was hotlinked from it). Only the US blog said that they never asked for the code. The EU blog doesn't say that at all.
Sony updated the post.

+ Patrick Seybold on April 29th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

As our friends at Destructoid pointed out, I was incorrect on the last point of the credit card question above. I want to make an important distinction: While we do ask for CCV codes, we do not store them in our database. It is transmitted to our payment processors for verification purposes only. Deep apologies for the confusion.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...ocity-services/comment-page-1/#comment-549273

What exactly are underground forums?

Do you have to be invited to join?
Are they impossible to find with a search engine?
Are they disguised as something else and maybe you have to enter a special pass code into a site that looks completely different than what one would think a forum looks like?

LowParry

Wouldn't canceling your CC without any false charges on your account for cause count against your credit? Just curious.

CcrooK said:
Wouldn't canceling your CC without any false charges on your account for cause count against your credit? Just curious.

Outright cancelling? It could, yes. Just like canceling a credit line for any other reason.

test_account

XP-39C²
larvi said:
So by this logic the more accounts that are stolen the better off it is for everyone. So if a hacker only gets a subset of someone's data, a company should just give them all of it to dilute how much it affects each user. lol.
Not for everyone, but for the individual. Statistically, the more accounts that are leaked, the less chance it is that you get affected. I.e, if someone throws a bowling ball randomly into a crowd, i would rather be in a crowd of 10.000 rather than in a crowd of 10 (it is a much bigger chance to get hit then).

Salaadin

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Got a restricted call on my cell earlier.
I haven't had one of those in years...

I keep seeing this and really want to know, how does your phone number tie into this PSN leak? Does PSN ask for phone numbers because I dont remember entering that either.

CyReN

So has anybody besides me not cancelled anything yet? I'm waiting for a few charges on my debit card atm. Did change my email info.

Salaadin said:
I keep seeing this and really want to know, how does your phone number tie into this PSN leak? Does PSN ask for phone numbers because I dont remember entering that either.

Do they store the billing phone number?

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
Do they store the billing phone number?

There isn't really such a thing as a billing phone number, at least in the US.

CyReN said:
So has anybody besides me not cancelled anything yet? I'm waiting for a few charges on my debit card atm. Did change my email info.

Only thing I've changed is my Amazon password... which I've already forgotten. Dammit!

Zoe said:

Whatever term you want to attach to it, many (most) credit card forms on the web ask for the billing phone number. That's the field I'm referring to.

Checkout at Newegg to see what I mean.

Salaadin

Zoe said:

There was only one time I ever ordered something online where they asked for a billing phone number and then called me on that number to make sure I was who I said I was. It was very strange but whatever. Im in US too and so was the site I ordered from.

KaYotiX

Banned
UberTag said:

That means dollars.
As soon as PSN is up I'll be dropping $$ in some RPGs for my PSP. Shit happens, move on with life.

gregor7777 said:
Whatever term you want to attach to it, many (most) credit card forms on the web ask for the billing phone number. That's the field I'm referring to.

I don't think I've ever had to put in a billing phone number anywhere.

Dabanton

KingOfKong said:

Is it any of your concern if they feel that they should? Put your love of Sony to the side for just one min and think. Some people just want piece of mind that this won't come and bite them in the ass in a few weeks time.

If getting a new card does that leave them be.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ordered a meat lovers pizza today, but when it arrived it had mushrooms on it. I didn't order any mushrooms.

I didn't order any mushrooms.

CyReN said:

Its the end of the month and time for bills, I dont have time to go cardless while dealing with that stuff, not to mention its already a hassle to change it online on all sites. Im just going to ride it until it expires this summer.

FINALBOSS

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
I say Tuesday, May 3rd.

At this point I'm convinced FINALBOSS has to be trolling. Either that or he's Ken Kutaragi's alt account.

They were under no legal obligation to tell any of us shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom