• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
electroshockwave said:
I don't think I've ever had to put in a billing phone number anywhere.

Go to the checkout at Newegg.com. Almost all shopping carts ask for billing phone.
billing-1.jpg

KAOz

Short bus special
chubigans said:
Ordered a meat lovers pizza today, but when it arrived it had mushrooms on it. I didn't order any mushrooms.

I didn't order any mushrooms.

This made me grin.

FINALBOSS

Banned
gregor7777 said:
But I'm pretty sure that's not what we were talking about when FINALBOSS made his idiotic comment. There's a name for that sort of argument...

That was EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Brannon

Zoe said:
I believe that's only if you willfully enter an agreement that forces you to handle things in arbitration. PSN has no such agreement.

And it can't be done retroactively, so putting it in the EULA/TOS whatever after this debacle will mean nothing.

Zoe said:
Because you're shipping something.

This is the screenshot that was posted earlier:

editbilling6a.jpg

(edit: oops, misread the euf last night as being from the EU site)

Here's US account creation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGxgyGaNorI&feature=related

Not shipping phone though. I'm talking about billing phone. Look at the image above. And I'm not saying PSN asks for it, either. I was asking, actually.

FINALBOSS said:
That was EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Let me get this straight.

You wanted to give Sony bonus points for posting about the leak on their blog while they had to email 77 million people about it?

Teknoman

VivaciousSoul said:
What exactly are underground forums?

Do you have to be invited to join?
Are they impossible to find with a search engine?
Are they disguised as something else and maybe you have to enter a special pass code into a site that looks completely different than what one would think a forum looks like?

I'd like to know that myself.

lol51

gregor7777 said:
Go to the checkout at Newegg.com. Almost all shopping carts ask for billing phone.

A phone number to contact the buyer is the "Billing Phone" - which is asked frequently for purchases.

The "Card Issuer Telephone" is the customer service number for the credit card - a textfield that i haven't seen asked anywhere except newegg.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
offshore said:
Sony updated the post.

+ Patrick Seybold on April 29th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

As our friends at Destructoid pointed out, I was incorrect on the last point of the credit card question above. I want to make an important distinction: While we do ask for CCV codes, we do not store them in our database. It is transmitted to our payment processors for verification purposes only. Deep apologies for the confusion.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...ocity-services/comment-page-1/#comment-549273
Thanks, added it to the OP.

Zoe

gregor7777 said:
Not shipping phone though. I'm talking about billing phone. Look at the image above. And I'm not saying PSN asks for it, either. I was asking, actually.

Basically for services that require a shipping address, I've gotten asked for a phone number. Digital services such as Groupon don't.

itxaka

Defeatist
VivaciousSoul said:
What exactly are underground forums?

Do you have to be invited to join?
Are they impossible to find with a search engine?
Are they disguised as something else and maybe you have to enter a special pass code into a site that looks completely different than what one would think a forum looks like?
They aré where the scary stuff goes on. Credit cards, 0 day exploits, shell accounts, compromised computers, etc...

Invitation only. Difficult to find, difficult to join.

Edit: ghostmarket was taked down recently, it was one of those underground forums.
http://m.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-...ostmarket-kingpin-sentenced-to-jail-40092014/

Corto

params7 said:
About the CVV codes, I do remember putting in the code when entering the card for the first time..can anybody else 100% confirm that PSN never ever asked for the CVV codes? Or asked them every time manually?

You filled a form that asked the CC number and CVV.

Salmonax

green sticker said:
This whole fiasco has reminded me how great LastPass is...

Folks should really look into it if they haven't already!
With LastPass can I still log into stuff if I'm not using a browser with LastPass? Like if I want to borrow a friend's computer to check email?

Psy-Phi

green sticker said:
This whole fiasco has reminded me how great LastPass is...

Folks should really look into it if they haven't already!
What makes it so much better than just remembering your own passwords in your head?

Psy-Phi said:
What makes it so much better than just remembering your own passwords in your head?

It will remember all of my passwords that have tons of letters/numbers/symbols.

I won't remember even 1 of those.

Psy-Phi said:

In addition to what the others said, you can use a different password for each sites, services, etc. When one password is compromised, it only affects one place.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

PRIZES ARE BEING OFFERED!
Whoever guesses the date correctly gets to choose between a $20 prize of your choice (PSN, MS Points, Nintendo Points, Steam, etc. as long as it's in North America) (thanks to Mr_Elysia), or a limited edition Xbox 360 faceplate from Zero Hour (thanks to Krakatoa). If there are multiple winners, I will use some randomizer thingy to chose a random winner. If no one guesses the date right, well...a random person from the whole pool will be chosen just for participating.
I will do another drawing for the prize that the winner didn't choose within the winning date pool. If only 1 person guessed the correct date, then everyone will be in the pool.

Keep in mind, we'll use the USA region to determine when PSN goes up, and it will be based on the Pacific time zone. So if it goes up at 11:59 PM PDT on May 4th, then May 4th is the winning date.

If your name isn't listed or is in the wrong date, let me know

April 29 - EL Beefo, demigod
April 30 - hikarutilmitt, Rewrite, YianGaruga, Sblargh, Adamm, rSpooky, Manji Silk Boss
May 1 - Marius_, ULTROS!, ApolloJoh, RbBrdMan, mr stroke, Tonza, jayb, Trin3785, dirkdiggy, robut, Seraphis Cain, mufraka, Beam, B1gg_Randall, darkwing, JazzmanZ, rainking187
May 2 - Wario64, Hex, AwesomeSauce, Dead Man, plainr_, pharmboy044, chubigans, KingOfKong, Miutsu, reKon, PigSpeakers, Jinfash, Complexgod, onQ123, Trevelyon, Kccitystar, Killthee, Fistwell, Atruvius, Jaroof, polyh3dron, shagg_187, LiK, Jax, get2sammyb, Giriath_89, grkazan12, electroshockwave, Hanmik, TheSeks, enewtabie, The_Darkest_Red, aristotle, fadetoblack, Zoibie, Sp3eD, Oni Jazar, Withnail, giancarlo123x, caliblue15, TheBrain76, Cloudius12, Firehead, FINALBOSS, Toki767, Chrange, Cruzader, baekshi, ShineALight, Akuosa, GTP_Daverytimes, Infernodash, .JayZii
May 3 - xaosslug, arnoldocastillo2003, Professor Beef, gutter_trash, Dreamgazer, QuantumBro, RustyNails, ZeroRay, polg, daegan, Stoffinator, angelfly, StunandStab, Kaizer, Revolutionary, spats, Xater, lawblob, MooMoo, hirokazu, DMeisterJ, cjtiger300, Dedication Through Light, KenOD, No_Style, DaBuddaDa, gl0w, BLSwagger10, Kung Fu Grip, vilmer_, xKilltheMx, spindashing, phosphor112, Paznos, DenogginizerOS, Zoe, Shalashaska, Majine, LyleLanley, Rebel Leader, gregor7777, FunkyPajamas, Dark Schala, Crewnh, thegreatchamp, maxte, iCon, AniHawk, Lion Heart, Irish, -Pyromaniac-, ZZMitch, Carl, Sadaiyappan
May 4 - Ickman3400, RPGCrazied, Sword Familiar, Prodigal, V_Ben, BeeDog, PjotrStroganov, Mr_Brit, Neuromancer, Rikyfree, darkjedi187, Ikkarus, iNvidious01, Billychu, Mikey Jr., raebodep, lastinline, Arpharmd B, sn1pes, kinoki, Manticore, offshore, Whogie, jackb2424, notworksafe, WonkyPanda, Mr Pockets, BobTheFork, jsrv, Y2Kev
May 5- upJTboogie, CcrooK, TOM f'N CRUISE, Voltron64, Marrshu, JLG-, upJTboogie, Metalmurphy, olimpia84, CadetMahoney, NYR, falconzss, MushroomSamba, Yenrot, Raistlin
May 6 - Snack, UberTag, Aselith, StevePharma, Urban Scholar, _dementia, Xiul, ChocolateCupcakes, AnEternalEnigma, Relaxed Muscle, vulva, Family Fry, alr1ghtstart
May 7 - Dipindots, pslayer666, Persona7, AlberichMX
May 8 - nny, leroidys, BlueSummers, SoundWave, Hieberrr
May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg, Proposed Law, blazinglazers, Violater, Epcott, webcivilian, Raoh, Jakfu
May 10 - Noshino, Baconbitz, CitizenCope, purple cobra, nckillthegrimace, Don, greyshark
May 11 - Kafel, timetokill, ithorien
May 12 - DavieC726, Beer Monkey
May 13 - The Spoony Hou
May 14 - bernardobri
May 15 - Megadragon15, Jakeh111

May 17 - Winterblink, D4Danger
May 18 - keit4, izakq
May 19 - Mama Robotnik

May 23 - Ryu Hayabusa

May 25 - Firest0rm

May 27 - RPG_Fanatic

May 30 - DryEyeRelief, Angelcurio
May 31 - equap
June 1 - Sgt.Pepper
June 2 - SteelAttack

June 6 - DrForester, Hexadecimalt

June 16 - Brannon

July 4 - Krakatoa
July 5 - TigerUppercut

July 7 - nli10

Nov 1 - Net_Wrecker

Nov 11 - vissione

Dec 12 2012 - Combichristoffersen

Dec 21 2012 - Jal

Feb 29 2014(wait a minute...) - larvi

Psy-Phi

Rebel Leader said:
hjs&hws6^sjsHGATjw%ya

That's it. Try to remember that
My banks and anything where money is concerned I have a unique password for each and some throw away ones for forums, communities, and crap like OpenFeint. Similar in style to what you just typed. I just think them up, type them a few times, and remember them mnemonically, which comes into play with helping me to recall them. After a while of using them it just becomes second nature and I don't even really think about it when I type it.

How did you get by before LastPass? And what will you do if you are ever in a situation where you don't have access to it?

Mama Robotnik said:
Wario can I have May 19th please? Just to fill in some of the gaps.
I've always wanted to ask you something, Mama. From a purely objective standpoint, would I like any of the games in the Kain series if i didn't like Soul Reaver? It felt like Zelda, but more helpless since I didn't have a map or anything.

itxaka said:
They aré where the scary stuff goes on. Credit cards, 0 day exploits, shell accounts, compromised computers, etc...

Invitation only. Difficult to find, difficult to join.

Edit: ghostmarket was taked down recently, it was one of those underground forums.
http://m.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-...ostmarket-kingpin-sentenced-to-jail-40092014/

Appreciated, thanks for the information and for the link. Wow it's actual crime, a bit shadier than I was initially expecting. By the way they described it, Ghost Market seems like a community of e-crime gurus like how Neogaf is a community of gaming gurus.

This PSN fiasco has reminded me of how much easier life would be if everyone just followed the golden rule. And it's so simple too.

How would you like it if someone was selling your credit card information online? Don't like the thought of that? Don't sell anybody else's information online.

How would you like it if someone stabbed you in the eye with a sword? Don't like the thought of that? then it follows, don't stab anyone else in the eye with sword.

If only rapists stopped and thought hmm, how would I feel if someone was raping my daughter... I don't like the thought of that... yeah... I'll go home now.

Professor Beef said:
I've always wanted to ask you something, Mama. From a purely objective standpoint, would I like any of the games in the Kain series if i didn't like Soul Reaver? It felt like Zelda, but more helpless since I didn't have a map or anything.

Probably not the right thread for this but the answer is probably no. If the story or exploration of Soul Reaver didn't click with you, I don't think the rest of the games would either.

You could try Blood Omen for a 2D Zelda feel, with a map and more navigatable world, but if Soul Reaver doesn't work for you, its probably not the series for you. Hope that helps.

larvi said:
I'll take 2/29/2014

Haha I see what you did there.

green sticker

Neo Member
Psy-Phi said:

Well, for one, randomly generated passwords; information is encrypted both on and off server and replaces most browsers "save password" feature with quick autofill/autologin feature. I feel quite secure in knowing that all my passwords are unique and random. I would have a hard time remembering my passwords, so why bother. I can access it on my phone as well. I know my main accounts, so if I lose access to any of them, I can get them back via email.

I also have a hard copy of all my passwords. I changed when Gawker went down, and even though I never had an account there, it's clear this type of problem won't go away.

Salmonax said:
With LastPass can I still log into stuff if I'm not using a browser with LastPass? Like if I want to borrow a friend's computer to check email?

Yes, it is not tied to a browser, but can be. Meaning, it's a login that can be accessed anywhere there is internet presumably.

Adamm said:
30th April
Do folks really believe PSN is coming back tomorrow? Is there a secret religion where we pray to Lord Tretton and he communicated the grand plans through holy spirit? Cuz if so, I wanna join

Psy-Phi said:
How did you get by before LastPass? And what will you do if you are ever in a situation where you don't have access to it?

The old paper on the wall next to me trick. At least with lastpass I don't have to manually type all those in everytime anymore. That wasn't very much fun.

Mama Robotnik said:
Probably not the right thread for this but the answer is probably no. If the story or exploration of Soul Reaver didn't click with you, I don't think the rest of the games would either.

You could try Blood Omen for a 2D Zelda feel, with a map and more navigatable world, but if Soul Reaver doesn't work for you, its probably not the series for you. Hope that helps.
You've been very helpful, thank you.

Also, Fuck Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom