• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgreen

Monas said:
So Sony is rebuilding their PSN, eh? CAPTCHAs for everyone!

IMHO don't think anything was compromised, SONY is just doing basic crisis management:
Blowing up the fact, so the truth will sound better.

That is not how that works. Crisis 101 is that you tell the truth, and if you don't know something certain you say that you don't know something certain.

In this case that means leaving open the option that CC information was obtained.

It really is stupid to say things are worse then they are on purpose to make reality look better. But is a death sin to say something is better than you know it is.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MoneyLaunderer said:
Sony should extend an olive branch to PSN users with cross-game chat. They're basically rebuilding PSN from the ground up. How hard could it honestly be to include cross-game chat now?

Bring back PS2 compatibility while they're at it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
I think you're making this up.

I promise, I'm not.

Remember a few weeks ago where that dude stole Shepto's (I think that's his name--the dude in charge of XBL Policy and Enforcement) had his gamertag and information completely stolen?

He posts on a message board where he sells gamertags and accepts jobs to steal. There's a ton of those dudes too.

Morn

Banned
DrForester said:
SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

AMAZING

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RPGCrazied said:
I still think everyone should get a free game.
Sony can turn a lot of this around if they offer a really nice package of compensation for PSN users.

I bet anything they won't, though.

I3rand0

RyanDG said:
I don't think its necessary to set up a credit monitoring services personally. At this point in time, a simple fraud alert will handle most issues without much of a problem. Now if suspicious activity starts to happen, it may be something to take a look at but now I don't think it would be worth the money. But this is definitely a personal choice kind of consideration.

It's all about peace of mind at the end of the day. You can use the service to send out the fraud alert to all three companies with a few mouse click versus having to reach out to all three on your own. When a situation like this goes down I can definitely justify the $16/month.

jax (old)

Banned
Morn said:
You insinuated that looking up IP information was some federal crime. It isn't.

http://trasir.com/ is probably one of the best sites to use too. Very clean and quick.

no. can you not read? you're the one saying this is the IP of the culprit -/- and or spoof.

I don't even know how you came to be able to find the originator - note: this is a very fast moving thread so I could easily have missed it.

Morn

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Really? I'm only seen the movie on tv myself. And this was PG movie wasn't it?

The sequel was too, and it had lots of boobies. Back in the day, tits were allowed in PG movies. And then PG-13 too.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
FINALBOSS said:
I promise, I'm not.

Remember a few weeks ago where that dude stole Shepto's (I think that's his name--the dude in charge of XBL Policy and Enforcement) had his gamertag and information completely stolen?

He posts on a message board where he sells gamertags and accepts jobs to steal. There's a ton of those dudes too.

that doesn't mean Xbox Live was hacked or in any way compromised.

stop posting this bullshit

Blimblim said:
I'll ignore the analogy. My work is basically making sure that our customers can order software from our sites, and do so safely. If someone manages to compromise the servers I'm in charge of, I'll shake my fist at the hacker, but I'll blame myself as much as the guy who found a way inside my network. It doesn't mean I won't get the police involved (though I know that we more than likely won't catch the guy) because it's a crime, but it will still be my company's fault in the end.

Your company will still be at fault yes.
Your company will still get sued for negligence

but your company should not be blamed for the crime. That's is all.

kamorra said:
About your sleep and you $55. I'm pretty sure that Sony should be able to or find a way to get your money back to you. I wouldn't loose sleep over this.

I was actually talking about your sleep, not mine, I am fine with the $55, weather I get it back or not .. I am more concerned about my personal info being spread all over the world.

Speaking of you catching any sleep, just curious do any of these recent events effect you in any way? Or you're only here pulling overtime to cheerlead your vague cause?

RPGCrazied said:
I still think everyone should get a free game.

Millions of peoples CC info has been compromised and many million more probably still have no idea.

But whoopty do here's a free game yay! That will make things all better. Maybe they should ship us a free cookie and a lollipop as well, just to be sure.

RyanDG

I3rand0 said:
It's all about peace of mind at the end of the day. You can use the service to send out the fraud alert to all three companies with a few mouse click versus having to reach out to all three on your own. When a situation like this goes down I can definitely justify the $16/month.

I understand - like I said - it's all about how you feel personally, but just as an FYI, by notifying one of the three agencies of the fraud alert, the other two will be automatically notified.

JWong said:
Uuuuuhh... when did they say that they were rebuilding PSN. Only the security.

I said they're basically rebuilding it. And almost every title of articles I've read concerning the incident read "Sony rebuilding PSN". The service being offline for a week with no firm relaunch date means they're rebuilding it, IMO.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dreamgazer said:
Your company will still be at fault yes.
Your company will still get sued for negligence

but your company should not be blamed for the crime. That's is all.
Isn't being sued for negligence the same thing as being blamed for the crime? In the end at least I fail to see the difference.

RPGCrazied

chubigans said:
Sony can turn a lot of this around if they offer a really nice package of compensation for PSN users.

I bet anything they won't, though.

I know. :(

Even after being tarnished on several news outlets. You'd think they would want to show good faith.

If it turns out that Credit info wasnt stolen I would hazard a guess that this incident will be water way under the bridge in about a month.

If that isnt the case, well then crap is gonna hit the fan in a very big way.

Place your bets?

FINALBOSS

Banned
I'd say the bottom line is...everyone here is speaking from out of their asses...including me.

No one has all the facts.

We don't know ANYTHING about Sony's competence when it comes to PSN security. For all we know it could be an extremely talented hacker.

On the flipside, PSN's security could have been shitty and the not-so-good basement dwelling script kiddie got in.

In either case, all hate should be directed towards the hacker, not Sony.

Curufinwe

rapid32.5 said:
nope, I've been using PS/XBL cards since the beginning.

I will probably switch to using PSN cards.

Ironically, I've never put my credit card info on the 360 because you hear so many horror stories about how hard it is to remove a credit card from Microsoft's system. And because it's so easy to get MS Points at below cost (and free thru Bing Rewards).

EricHasNoPull said:
I was actually talking about your sleep, not mine, I am fine with the $55, weather I get it back or not .. I am more concerned about my personal info being spread all over the world.

Speaking of you catching any sleep, just curious do any of these recent events effect you in any way? Or you're only here pulling overtime to cheerlead your vague cause?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27411373&postcount=6403

Armenia is waiting, chop chop.

FINALBOSS said:
I promise, I'm not.

So it actually involves entering Xbox Live servers and stealing that info or rather sending "OMG GoW3 beta link!" messages with malware/program to the user in question?.

There's a big difference between the 2.

Little_Luke

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but besides the obvious incompetence involved in the whole data stealing thing here as it relates to the hackers I ask this.

What about the fact that any immoral person that had access to an official dev. console before the CFW could have done THE EXACT SAME THING!! jesus ....

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I find this rather interesting especially this part:

That's not all: your credit card information is apparently being sent as an unencrypted text file. This is how the code is being sent to Sony:

creditCard.paymentMethodId=VISA&creditCard.holderName=Max&creditCard.cardNumber=45581234567812345678&creditCard.expireYear=2012&creditCard.expireMonth=2&creditCard.securityCode=214&creditCard.address.address1=example street%2024%20&creditCard.address.city=city1%20&creditCard.address.province=abc%20&creditCard.address.postalCode=12345%20

This information is allegedly being stored online and is updated every time you turn on your system. We've been receiving reports from various sources that e-mails are being sent to those with hacked firmware even before they log back into the PlayStation Network, which is even more evidence that Sony is grabbing information from your system just from being connected to your wireless network.

Not sure if it has been posted yet or not, do not have time to read through the whole thread!

Kagari said:
Bring back PS2 compatibility while they're at it.

I agree. I don't need $20 in PSN credit. I just want back what the system could originally do. And something (cross-game chat) that the system should have done from day one.

Shurs

Just got done changing what I think are all of the accounts I have scattered around the internet that share the same password with PSN.

My bank has excellent identity theft protection, so I don't think I'm going to worry about that until I have to.

I'm a bit annoyed.

Blimblim said:
Isn't being sued for negligence the same thing as being blamed for the crime? In the end at least I fail to see the difference.

But if the criminal is caught, THEY GO TO PRISON FOR COMMITTING THE CRIME. Would you agree or disagree that that is worse? Are you actually trying to say that not defending against a hacker is worse than a hacker actually attacking in the first place? I mean if you are saying that, then flat out say it, otherwise, there is no point for you to be arguing...

Mael

RyanDG said:
I guess I'm retarded then. Because as I've mentioned before in this thread, it's all about the business consumer relationship and the expectations of that relationship. Did Sony hack the system themselves and leak our information intentionally? Absolutely not. But they did violate the trust that we as consumers put in them in regards to providing them sensitive information about ourselves. And for that violation of trust with this leak (regardless of the cause), they should absolutely be held to blame and accountable.

I never said they weren't to blame, heck before we got any info on this I said that this event was possibly fucking huge for them and that they'd lose customers confidence on it (you can check you were there too).
They are to blame because they failed to protect our data, that's the very loss of confidence here.
Since gamers are sheep this days I fully expect people to forget about it, like they did with the RRoD really.

BUT that doesn't mean they're the biggest party at fault. At this point if the people who did this are found on the other side of the earth there's ground for extradition from anywhere but North Korea, it's a very serious crime that has been committed and shouldn't trivialised the way it's being done.

Seriously to take crappy analogies, if I leave my door open and there's a break in.
The insurance company won't cover my losses but the police sure as hell will try to catch the perpetrators.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DR2K said:
So all our information is stolen and they wait an entire week to tell us?

They haven't confirmed if any was, actually. To me it seems they're covering their bases if something does happen though. Either way, glad my PSN password was unique compared to my other passwords.

slider

Once it's back up "in a week" will folk just jump back online? I won't have any problems with it, having taken a few precautions, but there's a lot of (understandable) anger so I'm curious. Especially given how quickly things move; things get forgotten quickly.

Stoffinator

Dipindots said:
I'll be buying MS's next console over Sony's now, Sony has lost my trust. So yeah this is a pretty big blow to their reputation.

There is your problem. You shouldn't trust any corporation. This won't be the last time this happens.

FINALBOSS

Banned
D4Danger said:
that doesn't mean Xbox Live was hacked or in any way compromised.

stop posting this bullshit

...Your information is on XBL servers. Gaining access to that personal information is hacking XBL.

It's obviously not on the scale of this...but to put all this blame on Sony for their "shoddy" (which you have no proof of) security, is hilarious at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom