• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
patsu said:
... probably because they are mad at the hackers ?
I'm not criticizing people mad at the hackers, just the ones who keep exempting Sony, a la "Don't hate Sony! HATE THE HACKERS!"

There's more than enough anger and disappointment to share around, especially at the party who should have us in their best interest. This could have been avoided in many ways, some of which don't even need a 20/20 hindsight.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
So it actually involves entering Xbox Live servers and stealing that info or rather sending "OMG GoW3 beta link!" messages with malware/program to the user in question?.

There's a big difference between the 2.

There's plenty of ways. I'm sure phishing has it's uses, as does social engineering, but they are definitely hacking Gamertags and the information that goes along with it.

MoneyLaunderer said:
Sony should extend an olive branch to PSN users with cross-game chat. They're basically rebuilding PSN from the ground up. How hard could it honestly be to include cross-game chat now?

They still have to rebuild it in way that keeps it compatible with games previously released. Not saying it's impossible to see some kind of upgrade, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Especially since their main priority is getting the thing up and running securely, not adding cool shit.

itsgreen

Blimblim said:
Isn't being sued for negligence the same thing as being blamed for the crime? In the end at least I fail to see the difference.

Sorta, both a responsible for what happened.

Look at it this way. If I leave my front door open, like open open and leave to go shopping and return to find my house robbed.

The thief is ultimately responsible because stole everything. But my negligence enabled him to steal.

FINALBOSS said:
I'd say the bottom line is...everyone here is speaking from out of their asses...including me.

No one has all the facts.

We don't know ANYTHING about Sony's competence when it comes to PSN security. For all we know it could be an extremely talented hacker.

On the flipside, PSN's security could have been shitty and the not-so-good basement dwelling script kiddie got in.

In either case, all hate should be directed towards the hacker, not Sony.

It's not black and white like that.

People should be mad at Sony AND the hacker.

Even fanboys like El Presador know what's up. That's sad when El Presador has the right idea but you don't. That means you have slipped to a depth worse than Sony fanboy. It's very sad and weird place to be in, wherever you are, they haven't coined the term yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
slider said:
Once it's back up "in a week" will folk just jump back online? I won't have any problems with it, having taken a few precautions, but there's a lot of (understandable) anger so I'm curious. Especially given how quickly things move; things get forgotten quickly.

There's some PSN/1 games I've been waiting to download, so yes. I might buy them off Amazon though and have them send me the code.

Hazelhurst

itsgreen said:
I think this might be Sony's red ring. This could cost the company billions.

Stock drop, compensation, down time, missed income, bad press, less console sales when it hits the big news..

This sucks.
Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

buhdeh

Good thing I've never bought anything from PSN. Was just about to buy Castlevania SOTN too. I think I'll just keep staying away instead.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dreamgazer said:
Your company will still be at fault yes.
Your company will still get sued for negligence

but your company should not be blamed for the crime. That's is all.

When it's one company, that company gets the hate.

If it's multiple companies, the hackers get the hate.

I mean, imagine if this happened to Xbox Live, PSN and Steam simultaneously. I think this thread would be less "damn you [company X]" and more "damn you hackers!" and/or "damn you online security systems!"

FINALBOSS said:

Why can't you understand that its okay to be angry at someone or some group for exhibiting incompetence bordering on the criminal?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Label said:
I find this rather interesting especially this part:

Not sure if it has been posted yet or not, do not have time to read through the whole thread!
I don't know the PSN protocol, but keep in mind that when that guy say it's unencrypted, he means that the number is sent as is, but it's still sent through a HTTPS connection so no one (unless he uses a CFW firmware) is able to decrypt this information.
As long as Sony doesn't log the POST data in a file somewhere, it's not a problem.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Jinfash said:
I'm not criticizing people mad at the hackers, just the ones who keep exempting Sony, a la "Don't hate Sony! HATE THE HACKERS!"

There's more than enough anger and disappointment to share around, especially at the party who should have us in their best interest.

BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW IF SONY HAS ANY BLAME IN THIS.

How do you not get this?

Tmac

haters2222.gif

Raider82

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to tell which credit card you have on file with PSN? I can't remember which card if any at all i had on file.

Wizman23

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
...Your information is on XBL servers. Gaining access to that personal information is hacking XBL.

It's obviously not on the scale of this...but to put all this blame on Sony for their "shoddy" (which you have no proof of) security, is hilarious at best.

Your goalpost moving and pulling MS into this is what is hilarious.

jax (old)

Banned
I do think everyone's being a bit alarmist. I just checked my email and nothing from SONY yet nor any requirements to change passwords..

but still... now that I re-read the OP, what a clusterF***.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Why can't you understand that its okay to be angry at someone or some group for exhibiting incompetence bordering on the criminal?

Because you have no proof of incompetence?

That's my point...the hacker is obviously at fault...but you have no proof that Sony didn't do everything in its power when designing PSN's security.

Persona7

Banned
Raider82 said:
Does anyone know how to tell which credit card you have on file with PSN? I can't remember which card if any at all i had on file.
Might as well just set fraud alerts on all your cards.

Mael

Blimblim said:
I don't know the PSN protocol, but keep in mind that when that guy say it's unencrypted, he means that the number is sent as is, but it's still sent through a HTTPS connection so no one (unless he uses a CFW firmware) is able to decrypt this information.
As long as Sony doesn't log the POST data in a file somewhere, it's not a problem.

Kinda like how they left the important part of the https connection :/

Shurs

Kagari said:
They haven't confirmed if any was, actually. To me it seems they're covering their bases if something does happen though. Either way, glad my PSN password was unique compared to my other passwords.

Yep.

They're covering all their bases at this point, as they should be.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kagari said:
There's some PSN/1 games I've been waiting to download, so yes. I might buy them off Amazon though and have them send me the code.

This will be my new procedure for PSN. Going to call and cancel the card I had on there tomorrow to be safe. Card's magnetic stripe has been acting up recently anyways, so no big loss.

Vorg

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
I'd say the bottom line is...everyone here is speaking from out of their asses...including me.

No one has all the facts.

We don't know ANYTHING about Sony's competence when it comes to PSN security. For all we know it could be an extremely talented hacker.

On the flipside, PSN's security could have been shitty and the not-so-good basement dwelling script kiddie got in.

hmm nope. if you leave your front door unlocked it´s your fault if you get robbed. we still don`t know if that´s the case though.

GeoramA

slider said:
Once it's back up "in a week" will folk just jump back online? I won't have any problems with it, having taken a few precautions, but there's a lot of (understandable) anger so I'm curious. Especially given how quickly things move; things get forgotten quickly.
I'm going on to get my PS+ content, along with Outland and Under Siege. If they're up when PSN goes live again, of course.

TTP said:
When it's one company, that company gets the hate.

If it's multiple companies, the hackers get the hate.

I mean, imagine if this happened to Xbox Live, PSN and Steam simultaneously. I think this thread would be less "damn you [company X]" and more "damn you hackers!" and/or "damn you online security systems!"

No, I'd still be pretty upset with Microsoft, and I'd be demanding refunds, free games, etc.

The fact Xbox Live is bigger and hasn't been hacked like this makes me think it's Sony's incompetence not the hackers smarts.

Gritesh

I'm not claiming that the long weekend means that nobody was in the office.

It's just that Sony has brought it a third party security firm, chances are THEY weren't available on the weekend...

Also, I am just saying that things take time, its not like when they pulled the plug on Thursday night they knew the full extent of what was all involved on the intrusion, they needed time to investigate the issue, determine how to handle it and then come forward.

Also, doesn't the fact that they detected the intrusion and made the decision to pull the plug on the whole god damn thing speak at least a little about their concern for consumer information?

But I guess me being rational about the situation and thinking things through makes me a Sony apologist, or whatever.

I'm done with this thread.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Wizman23 said:
Your goalpost moving and pulling MS into this is what is hilarious.

I made a single post that XBL gets hacked too--not to this scale yet, but it happens. That post was explaining to someone who quoted me.

It'd be a mistake to underestimate a group of dedicated, well-organized hackers who have a goal.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Label said:
I find this rather interesting especially this part:

Not sure if it has been posted yet or not, do not have time to read through the whole thread!
Note this bit of the article:

note that the claims originally made by the hacker quoted in the article are unsubstantiated.

FINALBOSS said:
BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW IF SONY HAS ANY BLAME IN THIS.

The fact that this happened to them, when Nintendo and XBL have been resistant to such attacks, evidences that their security wasn't up to scratch.

When you have personal data for millions of millions of people under your care, you are obligated morally and legally, to keep your security up to scratch.

Therefore, they certainly earn blame alongside the criminals that extracted the data.

If Valve can resist such attacks, on an open platform with millions of potential zombie networks out their seeking out exploits and brute-forcing through security, Sony have no excuse at all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DrForester said:
This will be my new procedure for PSN. Going to call and cancel the card I had on there tomorrow to be safe. Card's magnetic stripe has been acting up recently anyways, so no big loss.

Amazon often has stuff for cheaper anyway, so it's win-win.

slider

acidspunk said:
hmm nope. if you leave your front door unlocked it´s your fault if you get robbed. we still don`t know if that´s the case though.

So if he reported the crime he'd be locked up??

Don't get me wrong - I'm angry at Sony; but mainly cos of the communication rather than having what appears to be a shitty implementation.

FINALBOSS

Banned
acidspunk said:

Uh......anyone who commits a felony, regardless of the circumstances, it is always their fault.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
FINALBOSS said:
I made a single post that XBL gets hacked too--not to this scale yet, but it happens. That post was explaining to someone who quoted me.

It'd be a mistake to underestimate a group of dedicated, well-organized hackers who have a goal.

Xbox Live was never hacked ffs.

what you're talking about is something completely different.

I've explained it 4 times now.

Blimblim said:
Isn't being sued for negligence the same thing as being blamed for the crime? In the end at least I fail to see the difference.

No.
1. Negligence does not nullify the crime. You can't say that you got hacked with out AVG therefore it's entirely or largely just your fault. The two is separate matter. Your company didn't ask for someone to go hack them.

2. Usually there is no punitive damage for negligence (you do not compensate above and beyond the damage done.) While there is for a real crime.

Again:
Sony certainly should take full Responsibility for whatever damage that is cause onto us, consumers, due to their inability to implement security to the best of their efforts.

However, that doesn't mean whoever done the crime should just be off the hook or have their crime made any less of. Hence the "horrible analogy". You can't just go around saying the victim asked for it.

FINALBOSS said:
...Your information is on XBL servers. Gaining access to that personal information is hacking XBL.

It's obviously not on the scale of this...but to put all this blame on Sony for their "shoddy" (which you have no proof of) security, is hilarious at best.

huge logical leap, completely missing the point of how people get "hacked" on Xbox Live--it's their own fault for getting social engineered. If there was a steady stream of info being stolen from Xbox Live that MS wasn't doing anything about, it would be major news like this.

Just stop posting about this, how can you not realize you're wrong by now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom