• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

Kermit The Dog said:
How do we know if Live is hack-proof until someone tries? Obviously, Sony encountered some brilliant hackers with this PSN fiasco, but who's to say Live would withstand attack if a group of hackers really wanted in?

As a pretty valid parallel, the PS3 had the best security of any console for nearly 4 years until fail0verflow found it had the weakest security of any console. And even before that happened, an inside leak from Sony of the SDK and USB service key is what actually allowed those hacks to be discovered in the first place.

You can have the "best" security in the world and all it takes is one weak link to bring it all down.

Nakiro

PokéKong said:
Best case scenario:
-They give us PS2 support
-Free PSOne Classic title or two.

Average case scenario:
-Free top PSN game, BC:R2 or something in that league.
-PSN+ subscription for everyone for a year.

Worst case:
-Free Minis
-A premium theme

Actual Sony case scenario:
-Limited time discounted Home furniture and clothes.
I don't know if you're being serious or not...

RanoNL

1303908101.jpg

I hope by "partly up", Sony means that you can access your account on PC within a few days. Keep PSN down but atleast control the paranoia and let people access PSN on PC to remove info for future sake.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
shagg_187 said:
I hope by "partly up", Sony means that you can access your account on PC within a few days. Keep PSN down but atleast control the paranoia and let people access PSN on PC to remove info for future sake.
Same here

Jburton said:
The truth.

Christ, if hackers can breach Government / military systems ..... then anything can be hacked!

Including Microsoft's 'military' grade protection, lol.
This, nothing is truly hack proof. With enough time and resources anything can be hacked. It couldn't surprise me at all if someone took out a contract on PSN. It could be anyone, private party, business, crime organization or competitor. This shit happens all the time, plus we have no idea how much data was compromised. At least Sony was smart and brave enough to shut the system down.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kandrick said:
Wipeout HD would be a good candidate for Sony to give out.

They should just put an amount of money in everyone's wallets and let them spend it as they wish. This would have the side effect of acquainting or reacquainting people with shopping on the store.

Or send voucher codes to everyone's email, redeemable on the store, with a note that such vouchers are also available in local retail stores - a (timely) reminder you can buy things on the store without a CC.

Grecco

Kermit The Dog said:
How do we know if Live is hack-proof until someone tries? Obviously, Sony encountered some brilliant hackers with this PSN fiasco, but who's to say Live would withstand attack if a group of hackers really wanted in?

Xbox Live has been up as a service, for almost 9 years. Im pretty sure in those 9 years hackers that "Really wanted to get in" have tried.

Massa said:
As a pretty valid parallel, the PS3 had the best security of any console for nearly 4 years until fail0verflow found it had the weakest security of any console. And even before that happened, an inside leak from Sony of the SDK and USB service key is what actually allowed those hacks to be discovered in the first place.

You can have the "best" security in the world and all it takes is one weak link to bring it all down.
Exactly, a internal leak opened the door for the hackers. Without that, hackers were having the hardest time I've ever seen, as far as hacking a physical product. Name one product hackers would be interested in that took over 4 years to hack. But I forgot, Sony doesn't know anything about security.

gofreak said:
They should just put an amount of money in everyone's wallets and let them spend it as they wish. This would have the side effect of acquainting or reacquainting people with shopping on the store.

Or send voucher codes to everyone's email, redeemable on the store, with a note that such vouchers are also available in local retail stores - a (timely) reminder you can buy things on the store without a CC.
Won't do that. Exploitable with multiple accounts. It'll be a free game and a free movie.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Any guesses to how Sony is going to instruct people to login and reset their passwords when PSN is rebooted? Seems to me that the moment the system starts up again, it will be in it's most vulnerable state if account passwords are the same as they were before the shutdown.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
shagg_187 said:
Won't do that. Exploitable with multiple accounts. It'll be a free game and a free movie.

Hmm. True.

I dunno though, there needs to be major suck-uppage after all this. Particularly, depending, on what happens next. For example, if everyones' data really did show up in a RAR file on a torrent site or something, I'd be an awful lot more pissed off than I am now.

DenogginizerOS said:
Any guesses to how Sony is going to instruct people to login and reset their passwords when PSN is rebooted? Seems to me that the moment the system starts up again, it will be in it's most vulnerable state if account passwords are the same as they were before the shutdown.

This will probably be very time-intensive, but I hope THEY reset the passwords and email you your new one before PSN is turned on.

Well the good news is no money has come out of my account, even better news it's payday today so i better spend those pennies before those dirty hacker scum spend it for me :)

cjtiger300 said:
But I forgot, Sony doesn't know anything about security.
Actually... it seems like anywhere Sony is directly involved the security is suspect.

PS3 was secure thanks to IBM, PS3 was broken wide open thanks to Sony's faulty key encryption methodology.

Hell, within this thread there's proof that Sony are still at it with the dodgy security (the logs on one of their servers were open for all the world to see).

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Mr Solo Dolo said:
Well the good news is no money has come out of my account, even better news it's payday today so i better spend those pennies before those dirty hacker scum spend it for me :)

As far as I know, no one here confirmed money being used.

Jburton said:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!
Trust me, with enough time and resources it could be hacked.

US military servers got breached and you think skilled hackers couldn't get into Live? Think again.

gofreak said:
Hmm. True.

I dunno though, there needs to be major suck-uppage after all this. Particularly, depending, on what happens next. For example, if everyones' data really did show up in a RAR file on a torrent site or something, I'd be an awful lot more pissed off than I am now.

This will probably be very time-intensive, but I hope THEY reset the passwords and email you your new one before PSN is turned on.
Yeah, that'll be the day I get pissed off at this shit. Not that my email address and all the info was already compromised with Best Buy hack, Gawker hack and more; but this is going to be the last straw as there is a lot more info to be dealt with here.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
chubigans said:
They can seriously turn most of this around if they offer a nice package like

-1-2 months free PSN Plus
-1-2 months free Qriocity
-Free game
-$10 worth of PSN bucks

It would encourage people to use the PS Store again, reimburse Qriocity/Plus users and be a nice message of goodwill.

I still don't think they're going to do much of anything though.
Reimbursing should be a given, not a nice offer. You're service may end up being down for 2 weeks, PR has been a nightmare, and they still don't know how much info was stolen. For as much ridicule as posters in the last thread like to throw around to those seen trading in their system to Gamestop or switching over to XBL. The bottom line is Sony lost a customer. I do believe a nice package would make it easier to shallow and jump back in, but most of the damage is already done. It's going take time, advertising, and some generosity on their part to repair most of this.

Jburton

Banned
LordPhoque said:
I was thinking of picking up MK9 on PS3 because of free online.
Yeaa right. XBL subscription renewed.

They can't steal the Blu ray out of your machine!! ;)

The downtime is a bitch, but I would not run out and spend more money because of it.

Psychotext said:
Actually... it seems like anywhere Sony is directly involved the security is suspect.

PS3 was secure thanks to IBM, PS3 was broken wide open thanks to Sony's faulty key encryption methodology.

Hell, within this thread there's proof that Sony are still at it with the dodgy security (the logs on one of their servers were open for all the world to see).
Seriously? A service dongle being stolen is what opened the door to hackers who tried for 4 years to hack the PS3 and your going to give IBM the credit?

So let me get this straight, IBM is responsible for the ps3 being secure, and now its Sony's fault for it nor being secure? You can't have it both ways, so in the end I guess IBM is the one with shitty security.

Jburton

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Trust me, with enough time and resources it could be hacked.

US military servers got breached and you think skilled hackers couldn't get into Live? Think again.

I agree with you.

The other guy's assumption that Live is hack proof is what my quoted post relates to.

npm0925

Sony dodged a bullet by not making the NGP download only a la the PSP-GO... that is if they can recover from this fiasco. Whoever is running their PR department needs to be fired immediately -- 1 week to get this message out is unacceptable. From now on I will be making all of my PSN purchases through Amazon download codes.

snap0212

LordPhoque said:
It's still easier to cancel a credit card (or to get a new one) than it is to remove it from Xbox Live.

Dead Man

LordPhoque said:
What the fuck? You would rather have cc details with MS than with no one? You do know you don't need to use a cc at all on PSN if you don't want? I get being angry and outraged, but shit like this makes no sense.

npm0925 said:
Sony dodged a bullet by not making the NGP download only a la the PSP-GO... that is if they can recover from this fiasco. Whoever is running their PR department needs to be fired immediately -- 1 week to get this message out is unacceptable. From now on I will be making all of my PSN purchases through Amazon download codes.
People really think Sony will not recover. Smh.....

So is anyone as paranoid as a friend of mine to block his credit card? He read an article about the stolen info.
"Fuck. They have our personal info. I'm blocking my credit card."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom