• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Ridge Racers Famitsu scans

Jonnyram

up10611.jpg

up10612.jpg

up10613.jpg

Game info:
- 24 courses, some of which are remakes from old Ridge games.
- Pictured remakes of RRV Sunny Beach, R4 Heaven & Hell, Rave Racer Mountain (EDITED, I misread first time)
- Rally X is playable while loading
- Clearing Ridge Tour mode unlocks new courses and cars

Other stuff in Famitsu (if anyone cares)
- Yesterday's review scores confirmed
- Tons of Square Enix stuff: Radiata Stories, DQ8, Romancing SaGa
- Capcom stuff: DMC3 (new chars Lady and Arkham), Monster Hunter G, RE4, Killer 7
- Smackdown vs Raw Exciting Pro Wrestling 6 (Yukes, Feb 2005, PS2)
- WWF Day of Reckoning (Yukes Jan 13 2005, GC)
- DOA:U 2005 calendar

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was a bit nervous that cars would look sucky after they didn't have them in the TGS demo.

Not anymore :p

It looks awesome.
They even have a burnout-like speed blur in some shots. I hope the HUD can be disabled in the options. Those numbers are BIG.

Okay, this is easily my most anticipated PSP title. Combined with RRDS, this is the best time to be an RR fan. I can't fucking wait to get both of these titles.

Mashing

The graphic whore in me is going to love the PSP! :)

I hate to spell doom for hte DS, but the graphical gap is just too large for it to be overlooked this time. Nintendo better hope they have GC level GBA Next or something if they want to hold onto their portable marketshare.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DS TEH PWNED ETC ETC

Was it Nintendo's decision to just port RR64 to the DS?

Jonnyram

In the interview, they ask how many people will be able to play with wireless racing... Namco don't say a specific number - they just say they are working day and night on it, so please support us. The game is 90% complete, however, so could well end up being a launch title.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hot damn, Grizzly want! Now I finally feel better about this being a launch title.

Grubdog

Banned
Mashing said:
The graphic whore in me is going to love the PSP! :)

I hate to spell doom for hte DS, but the graphical gap is just too large for it to be overlooked this time. Nintendo better hope they have GC level GBA Next or something if they want to hold onto their portable marketshare.
Graphics aren't important. :)

aoi tsuki

Shogmaster said:
Those shots look 1.5 hours battery life-good!
If Sony's shooting for an older crowd than the GBA, having a 10-hour battery life should be less important. When you hit college age, you generally have exponentially less time to play games. Three hours would be plenty for daily use, and those who needed more would likely quickly drop the money down for an extra battery.

It's looking really good and the addition of Reiko and RR4's Heaven and Hell track are pluses in my book. Hopefully RR DS gets pushed back to tweak the graphics a bit and possibly add more features. i seriously doubt a small rearview mirror on the top screen would be that hard to add.

i wonder who's doing the music this time. i really hope they go with something like R4's blend of music instead of RRV's more typical electronic RR fare. Not that the latter tracks were bad, i just preferred the mix of styles, and Asuka Sakai had some great mellow tracks.

Jonnyram

Marconelly said:
IIRC, in first Ridge Racer on PS1 you could play Galaga during level loadings, right?
The whole game loaded into memory I think, so you only ever saw it during the initial load. Same goes for Tekken, I believe.

ferricide

aoi tsuki said:
If Sony's shooting for an older crowd than the GBA, having a 10-hour battery life should be less important. When you hit college age, you generally have exponentially less time to play games. Three hours would be plenty for daily use, and those who needed more would likely quickly drop the money down for an extra battery.
that's kind of a crappy argument. i mean, you're just tailoring the argument as a defense of the outcome, rather than making a compelling argument based on what makes sense. i mean, do you think sony would ever want to supply consumers with shitty battery life if it didn't have to?

besides, older people spend a lot more time on planes than teh kiddies. i know i do. if my iPod doesn't have enough battery for me, PSP is a nightmare. potentially two batteries just to get from CA to NY? please.

on a positive note, this game looks bombly and it's gonna make resisiting the import PSP hard. i'm going to try to wait till they make some improvements to the unit that cut down on battery consumption before i actually buy one of my own, though. =P

I'm OK with 4 hours per battery.

Less than that and things get sketchy. I know Sony will probably release a higher capacity battery down the line.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i have a flight to catch on the 15th dec, and i want to be able to play this bitch as long as i possibly can....

... three spare batteries or just the two? Fucking hell, how dare this be so hot and sexy.
And there is Lumines as well... I feel spoilt.

"I'm OK with 4 hours per battery. "

same here - 4 x 3 = 12 hours, i can cope with that , although recharging the batteries will be a pain in the arse (having to connect the PSP and have a battery inserted)

2 hrs would be a bit shitty for my long distance travel needs.

I'll wait and see I guess. If the reports have the Japanese launch PSPs going significantly under the 4 hour limit for the "real" games like Ridge Racers, I'm gonna get a DS and wait for Sony to release a better battery for the PSP.

ourumov

Looks awesome. Hopefully it will play like RRV. After Racing Evolution I thought Namco had lost their touch doing Racing games. I was wrong.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, can't help but be excited about this. 24 courses? As long as they aren't just saying 6 courses x 2 (backwards) x 2 (mirrored)? But 6 courses would be OK too. Nice to see they're remaking old courses from various RR's, as long as they include new ones too. I wonder what the music will be like...which style will they go for this time? :)

ferricide

DCharlie said:
same here - 4 x 3 = 12 hours, i can cope with that , although recharging the batteries will be a pain in the arse (having to connect the PSP and have a battery inserted)
you're ok with spending another Y13,500 on batteries? o_O

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"you're ok with spending another Y13,500 on batteries? o_O"

not really, but i was expecting the PSP to be at least 35,000 yen, so i see it as nothing lost...

i'm just making sure Sony really does make some cash! ;)

XS+

Banned
Loading times while sucking up battery life.. disc medium for PSP was really stupid/unnecessary. Maybe somebody'll find a way to load UMD games onto a mem. stick..

I think the LCD is the bigger problem for battery life.

I never bought the whole UMD drive thing because Sony has been able to make portable drives that run on low battery power for an insane period of time.

But the LCD, it's 4.5 inches with a very bright display, there's no getting around that.

Top Bottom