• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Ridge Racers Famitsu scans

Project Midway said:
Looks about the same as RR DS.
_38094482_pipemustcredit150.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marc said:
Looks better than RRV road textures to me. Better filtered as well.
In the TGS build, most textures looked to be lifted straight out of R5 actually - but obviously progressive scan display and real mipmapping makes a ton of difference when the thing moves.

Anyway, looks like NFS series will be embarassed on two platforms this December :p

xexex

Banned
btw, as far as ground textures go, and texture mapping in general, Rave Racer is still the king

raver.jpg

raver_a.jpg

raver_b.jpg

raver_c.jpg

no PlayStation (PS1/PS2) Ridge Racer can compare, texture wise. closest to Rave Racer would be arcade Ridge Racer and RR2. yes, all three original arcade RR games have better textures than RRV.

ourumov

Well, RRV doesn't look that bad. Plus I am sure that the multitexturing effects of RRV will be downgraded on PSP.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Well, RRV doesn't look that bad. Plus I am sure that the multitexturing effects of RRV will be downgraded on PSP.
Well the cars on PSP shots are obviously lower poly then R5 - but as far as car surface goes, we need to see it in motion to compare.
The buildings still had the window reflections in the TGS build, and environment shadows were all per vertex(no shadowmaps), so that's pretty much unchanged from R5.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AFAIK, they actually added some multitexturing effects in PSP RR. From what I've seen there's specularity on the road in that video from TGS.

yes, all three original arcade RR games have better textures than RRV.
Wooow, there. Ridge Racer in the arcade didn't have any texture filtering. That thing looks atrocious today.

xexex

Banned
that's the beauty of arcade Ridge Racers. no texture filtering. it looks ultra sharp and crisp. no blurry smeared textures. yeah without filtering it looks ugly up close, if you turn your car into the side of the track, but when you're racing it doesnt look bad at all. and i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that arcade RR, RR2, Rave Racer have more higher resolution textures than PS2/Arcade RRV. what you see in those screen shots of Rave Racer reflects how it actually looks.

moving on, now that we know Greanpeak Highlands is the Mountain Rave Racer track, I can only hope that Rave Racer's City track is also in Ridge Racers. I see nothing to indicate that it is though, so far.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Great stuff. I hope they either put Tekken 5 on PSP or some type of TTT update as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Reflections on the buildings windows are definitely there and look very nice, large and smooth. You can see them in the video Maskrider posted yesterday.

xexex

Banned
just in case there was any doubt about Greenpeak Highlands being from Rave Racer

Namco has given specific details on three courses: Seaside Route 765, the 4,108 meter Sunny Beach course from RRV, itself a remake of the original Ridge Racer course; Crimsonrock Pass, the 6,456 meter stretch of road known as Heaven & Hell in R4 - Ridge Racer Type 4; and Greenpeak Highlands, the 4,033 meter course known as Mountain in Rave Racer.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/563/563842p1.html

:D

TKM

Rave Racer was offered as a ROM upgrade set for Ridge Racer. RRV stomps all over System 22’s low resolution, unfiltered, monochrome textures.

Ridge Racers is hot hot hot though. Rave racer track remade in hi-color, woo!

Miburou

It was already revealed in the Famitsu scan in the very first post that that course is from Rave Racer. Dunno why you're acting like you've just discovered the meaning of life.

Argyle

xexex said:
btw, as far as ground textures go, and texture mapping in general, Rave Racer is still the king

raver.jpg

raver_a.jpg

raver_b.jpg

raver_c.jpg

no PlayStation (PS1/PS2) Ridge Racer can compare, texture wise. closest to Rave Racer would be arcade Ridge Racer and RR2. yes, all three original arcade RR games have better textures than RRV.

Are you HIGH? Have you ever actually played Rage Racer in the arcade?

Edit: Saw this later:

xexex said:
that's the beauty of arcade Ridge Racers. no texture filtering. it looks ultra sharp and crisp. no blurry smeared textures. yeah without filtering it looks ugly up close, if you turn your car into the side of the track, but when you're racing it doesnt look bad at all. and i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that arcade RR, RR2, Rave Racer have more higher resolution textures than PS2/Arcade RRV. what you see in those screen shots of Rave Racer reflects how it actually looks.

You ARE high. :) It looks ugly up close - you are always close to the track so it always looks ugly :)

Top Bottom