• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Ridge Racers Famitsu scans

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Pardon my lack of excitement but this is exactly what I expected out of Ridge Racers (so I'm not really suprised). I cannot wait for this game to be released, looks phenominal.

Vark

Those that do will a)buy another battery or b)carry the AC adapter with them

I always thought the benefit of a handheld was in the self contained aspect of it. I think its retarded to carry something around when you need a buttload of accessories just to make the thing work the way it should have in the first place.

I think SOny was right saying the PSP isn't really meant to be played away from home.

You've got the battery life, also the large size and exposed screen. It's not exactly the ideal portable. If I get one it'll be plugged into the wall like 90% of the time. So no worries.

I'm more worried about UMD skipping than anything else.

Mrbob

Wow. That looks amazing. This is a first gen game too. Can't wait to see how the games look in 1-2 years. :D I know Namco wouldn't let them do it, but iw would be funny to see a Sony produced PSP commecial that compared the Nintendo DS version of Ridge Racer to the PSP version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think SOny was right saying the PSP isn't really meant to be played away from home.
Haha, nice try, but unless you are talking about some weird translations or taking words out of context, noone ever really said that. They have actually reiterated so many times that the PSP is something for playing anytime, anywhere.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
seismologist said:
That's a good point. Too bad the last game from Namco was the worst in the series (R Racing Evolution). :D

No, the last game in the Ridge Racer series was Ridge Racer V...which is (IMO) the best game in the series and is also the best looking. They've come straight out and said that R:RE was NOT a Ridge Racer game...

It was better than Ridge Racer 64, though, which was total crap.

Oh, and RR PSP looks like a classic RR game...so there should be no worries.

Mrbob

seismologist said:
That's a good point. Too bad the last game from Namco was the worst in the series (R Racing Evolution). :D

And yet the PSP version looks like it has nothing to do with R Racing Evolution. :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Coming from a consumer perspective I always thought R:RE was related to the Ridge Racer series. A re-imagining of sorts, like a spin-off that dabbles in another genre yet keeping within the same universe. Atleast on the surface it certainly seemed that way.

Was the game really that bad?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TekunoRobby said:
Coming from a consumer perspective I always thought R:RE was related to the Ridge Racer series. A re-imagining of sorts, like a spin-off that dabbles in another genre yet keeping within the same universe. Atleast on the surface it certainly seemed that way.

Was the game really that bad?

No, but it wasn't Ridge Racer.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
seismologist said:
Thank god Namco hasn't made F: Fighting Evolution yet :D

lachesis

Wow. Looks really pretty. So does Nagase too. she must have gotten some face-job this time around. ;)

lachesis

callous

ourumov said:
Well considering RRV had all RR 1/RRR tracks.... ;) I am not a Rage Racer fan but I would kill for the Rave Racer tracks.

Huh? I don't remember any RRR tracks in RRV. I recently replayed RRR and am currently re-playing RRV. So far I haven't come across any RRR tracks in RV, only RR tracks.

I don't know about that.

This could definalty use a second screen so I can view a map of the track.

Wait...no. That would be a stupid idea.

ourumov

You are right, I meant RR2 Arcade. I never played RRR and I was under the idea it was the equivalent to RR2 Arcade.

nitewulf

tell me one thing about PSP, does it have a TV out? i'd like to play some of these on my TV. and wow, awesome graphics, this is a good launch game. now some spectacular looking 2d shooters would just sweeten the deal.

Miburou

The game has at least one track from Rave Racer, the game people have been whining for to get ported, and what do they do? They whine some more for some Rage Racer tracks. Ungrateful bastards! :D

I'm almost ready to put down a pre-order for a Japanese PSP and RR, but I'm worried about the controls when compared to a Dual Shock 2.

ourumov

The long city track from Rave Racer is very nice...Specially when you go through a Hong-Kong similar area with big jumps :)

xexex

Banned
wow so PSP Ridge Racers has at least one track from Rave Racer ? coolness if true

Rave Racer track(s) = instant must purchase (PSP + Ridge Racers)

xexex

Banned
RR games I enjoyed:
* Ridge Racer arcade
* Ridge Racer 2 arcade
* Ridge Racer PS1
* Rave Racer arcade
* Rage Racer PS1
* Ridge Racer Hi-Spec PS1
* Ridge Racer V PS2
* Ridge Racer V arcade

RR games I did not enjoy
*Ridge Racer Revolution PS1
*Ridge Racer Type 4 PS1
*Ridge Racer 64 N64

Miburou

In my opinion:

RRV > Rage Racer > Ridge Racer > Ridge Racer Type 4 > Ridge Racer Revolution

Didn't play much of Rave Racer, but I liked what little I played.

u_neek

neptunes said:
Was I the only one who enjoyed RR4? :(

No RR4 is m fave racing game ever - usually Im not really into racing games but RR4 really got me hooked.
I loved Rage Racer too..

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DaCoca said:
60fps @ TGS. That's good to hear assuming they were actual PSPs running the game. I just know that developers, FROM specifically, said that you're not going to see many good looking games running at that clip.
Most of the games at TGS were 60 actually.
And those that weren't, were mosly pretty crap (ie. NFS:Rivals).

xexex

Banned
sorry, but these scans deserve to be posted on every page of this thread :D

up10611.jpg

up10612.jpg

up10613.jpg

Ridge Racers is the new king of portable racers. GT4 Mobile be damned :D

xexex

Banned
The Greenpeak Highland track (3rd one pictures) is from RAVE RACER, not RRV. So are you ready to kill, ourumov?

And they're supposed to be refined versions of those tracks. BTW, the Sunny Beach track from RRV was also in the original RR (and RRR, IIRC).

I believe you're correct. Greenpeak Highland seems to be the Mountain track from Rave Racer.

Sunny Beach track in RRV was the original short Ridge Racer track and Greenfield in RRV was the long Ridge Racer track through the construction zone.

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
"This is in no way a Ridge Racer game. Namco has made no insinuations that this is the successor to the drift series"
http://cars.ign.com/articles/453/453842p1.html
This is total BS. Before the official title was released every preview video released said stuff like "The NEW Ridge Racer", and the official trailer for the game flashes the words Ridge, Rage, Rave just before the R: R.E. logo pops up. It's sad though, because the game is duff. I think they're just better off putting it behind them.

Miburou

I'm willing to bet that the 24 tracks are really only 6 (or 8) tracks with 4 (or 3) variations per track, and that 3/4 of them are based on tracks from previous entries in the series. The title of the game indicates that it's more of a compilation than a brand new entry. That's still totally fine with me.

xexex

Banned
this is actually better for me, that it's a compilation. because, between the PS1 and PS2, the total Ridge Racer experience is missing. no arcade RR1/RR2 quality tracks (save for the beefed up versions in RRV) and certainly no Rave Racer. on PSP, i might finally be satisfied with home Ridge Racer. then we can have a truly new RR on PS3.

I just hope they don't try to rape us Euros on launchday to make up the windfall in the Japanese/US price, 'cause it's getting kinda hard to resist the temptation to be standing in line for one.

xexex

Banned
nice.

that seemed to be the original Ridge Racer track, with roughly RRV-level graphics, plus a few additions here and there in the scenery.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
damn. that looks terrific. is there a bit of a speed-blur effect in that video, or is that just the compression? it's unclear whether psp will quite match ps2 performance, but i think it's already exceeded dreamcast.

maskrider

drohne said:
damn. that looks terrific. is there a bit of a speed-blur effect in that video, or is that just the compression? it's unclear whether psp will quite match ps2 performance, but i think it's already exceeded dreamcast.

I think they fast roll (squeeze) in some points of the video to make it more dramatic.

Top Bottom