• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Ridge Racers Famitsu scans

With there being remakes to RRT4 courses, let hope that some of the music from that game is included too. There needs to be some Rage remakes too.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
With there being remakes to RRT4 courses, let hope that some of the music from that game is included too. There needs to be some Rage remakes too.

Yeah, I mean one thing people aren't making too big a deal of is how damn good the PSP sound is. From my experience with Lumines at TGS, I'd say PSP sound is equally to digital Xbox sound which is > PS2/GC sound IMO. The potential for great music while your playing is very very high with the PSP.

ourumov

12 cars Racing at once !
If GT4 is released in january with the tweaks Yamauchi said...I think PD will be owned by Namco.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
looks gorgeous, and i like the mix of new and old tracks...but are those car textures really, really low resolution or what? maybe that'll be fixed in the last 10% of development.

aoi tsuki

ferricide said:
that's kind of a crappy argument. i mean, you're just tailoring the argument as a defense of the outcome, rather than making a compelling argument based on what makes sense. i mean, do you think sony would ever want to supply consumers with shitty battery life if it didn't have to?

besides, older people spend a lot more time on planes than teh kiddies. i know i do. if my iPod doesn't have enough battery for me, PSP is a nightmare. potentially two batteries just to get from CA to NY? please.
No, i was tailoring the argument based on the assumption that Sony was targetting the PSP to an "older crowd", i was thinking more along the lines of 18-30. Do most people in this range frequently take cross-country flights? i feel my argument stands because this group isn't likely to sit down and play four hours of a game non-stop, or in a place where they can't use the charger. Those that do will a)buy another battery or b)carry the AC adapter with them. People that want to play PSP will find a way to do so, especially the early adoption crowd. GBA gamers bitched but coped with the lack of a backlight. i expect the same with the PSP.

i could see it being a problem if you played for a couple of hours then tried to listen to music for a few more hours, although music playback should take less power than game playing, especially with the screen off. WiFi games could further cut the battery life down by a third to half.

The battery life is sufficient for standard, one-player gaming. Not great, not even good, but sufficient.

Didn't Kutaragi say something about enhancing the PSP's battery so that you could use it from a flight from Tokyo to New York or something?

They'll probably release a seperate higher-capacity battery pak down the line once costs come down.

Nintendo released a higher capacity battery for the GBA SP in Japan (20 hours I think) as well.

ourumov

drohne said:
looks gorgeous, and i like the mix of new and old tracks...but are those car textures really, really low resolution or what? maybe that'll be fixed in the last 10% of development.
You know RRV didn't have very high resolution textures...In fact they were pretty poor but the great art used killed the bad feeling low-res textures are supposed to cause.

FightyF

Banned

Maybe I'm wrong but I think I see a Rage track...and an RR1 track.

ourumov

Well considering RRV had all RR 1/RRR tracks.... ;) I am not a Rage Racer fan but I would kill for the Rave Racer tracks.

Fight for Freeform said:
Maybe I'm wrong but I think I see a Rage track...and an RR1 track.

The RR track is definetly in the game since that was the one they were showing off at TGS. I'd want to see Lakeside Gate from Rage in this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really hate to even think about buying one of these two new handhelds when the GBA SP is still above and beyond all I really need, especially given my videogame habits almost conclusively stay in the household.

That looks fukkin great though, and with the prospect of this and Darkstalkers 3 being online along in the palm of my hand, it's getting more difficult to ignore this incoming tech toy.

Tellaerin

ourumov said:
You know RRV didn't have very high resolution textures...In fact they were pretty poor but the great art used killed the bad feeling low-res textures are supposed to cause.

I also think that the texture resolution is going to be less of a factor when you're playing on a screen the size of the PSP's, especially when the game's actually in motion. :)

Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer V, and now this... seems like Namco releasing a new Ridge Racer to kick off the launch of a Sony system has become a bonafide tradition. I can definitely live with that. :)

Midas

Tellaerin said:
I also think that the texture resolution is going to be less of a factor when you're playing on a screen the size of the PSP's, especially when the game's actually in motion. :)

Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer V, and now this... seems like Namco releasing a new Ridge Racer to kick off the launch of a Sony system has become a bonafide tradition. I can definitely live with that. :)

Yeah. Lets hope they'll have a Ridge Racer ready for PS3 launch too. :)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
These are honestly the first PSP 3D game shots I have seen which live up to expectations and also look like what the PSP specs should damn well produce. I'm discounting GT4 for the moment to see if that bull about limited cars pans out. 12 cars in RR guys! ARE YOU WATCHING NAMCO?

Btw, it always seems like Namco has some of the easiest time getting "solid" looking 3D graphics out of any given hardware.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kaijima said:
Btw, it always seems like Namco has some of the easiest time getting "solid" looking 3D graphics out of any given hardware.

IIRC, they had to struggle hard with RRV. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the thing about the small screen is odd.

I was playing a movie on my pocket PC last night, to test how it worked. The small screen very close to my eyes was exactly the same size as my 30" LCD screen on the wall 3m away. I even put them side by side to compare.

So the PSP will actually have a bigger screen than playing PS2 on my TV! So the image quality had better be good.

mrklaw said:
the thing about the small screen is odd.

I was playing a movie on my pocket PC last night, to test how it worked. The small screen very close to my eyes was exactly the same size as my 30" LCD screen on the wall 3m away. I even put them side by side to compare.

So the PSP will actually have a bigger screen than playing PS2 on my TV! So the image quality had better be good.
OMG WTF LOL!

Miburou

The Greenpeak Highland track (3rd one pictures) is from RAVE RACER, not RRV. So are you ready to kill, ourumov? :)

And they're supposed to be refined versions of those tracks. BTW, the Sunny Beach track from RRV was also in the original RR (and RRR, IIRC).

Elios83

That really goes beyond my expectations.
I believed the game to have up to 4 low-middle detail cars,instead we have 12 PS2 level cars.Amazing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Project Midway said:
OMG WTF LOL!

seriously. Its all about field of vision.

I'd estimate at 4.3", the PSP screen will be about the same as playing on a 36" widescreen TV about 2.5/3m away.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well that about wraps it up for me...I really may have to get a PSP. Much lower price than expected + Ridge Racer = Buy!

I'm pissed about the region locking, though. That's a HUGE problem.

I wouldn't say that's exactly PS2 level, but it does look good.

Depends on what you are using to judge "PS2 level". Are you comparing this to Burnout 3 and GT4...or something else? It doesn't stack up to the best PS2 racers technically (based on these shots), but it looks quite a bit better than tons of other PS2 racers...

mrklaw said:

I'd estimate at 4.3", the PSP screen will be about the same as playing on a 36" widescreen TV about 2.5/3m away.
You going blind if you keep PSP that close to your eyes. :)

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
mrklaw said:

Except of course that your eyes also perceive depth so the experience is quite different for that reason alone. Also, all the drawbacks of LCD technology are more visible when you're that close to the screen and your TV displays a higher resolution.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There's never any mention of game performance. I think games running at 60fps will be very rare.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:
There's never any mention of game performance. I think games running at 60fps will be very rare.

I don't...

I believe this was running at 60 fps at TGS.

DaCocoBrova

60fps @ TGS. That's good to hear assuming they were actual PSPs running the game. I just know that developers, FROM specifically, said that you're not going to see many good looking games running at that clip.

So how do those of us who do international travel deal with the short battery life? I go to Japan every year, am I supposed to buy three or four batteries for the PSP just for this oneway flight? Fucked up. My mighty GBA SP made the entire flight no problem, I expect my DS to as well. If the PSP is supposed to play movies, which I'll buy as it's the perfect thing for road trips or domestic flights, then that means the battery is 2/3's gone. And RRV looks fucking hot but if it really drains the battery to 3 hours that's rediculous. I've been in my college library and played Metroid for the GBA for well over three hours.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
evilromero said:
So what do those of us who do international travel deal with the short battery life? I go to Japan every year, am I supposed to buy three or four batteries for the PSP just for this oneway flight? Fucked up. My mighty GBA SP made the entire flight now problem, I expect my DS to as well. If the PSP is supposed to play movies, which I'll buy as it's the perfect thing for road trips or domestic flights, then that means the battery is 2/3's gone. And RRV looks fucking hot but if it really drains the battery to 3 hours that's rediculous. I've been in my college library and played Metroid for the GBA for well over three hours.

Yeah, don't buy it for those occasions you go on long flights. Just like you wouldn't buy a 3rd gen ipod, or a portable DVD player, or a laptop, or pretty much anything other than a GBA.

Why not just buy one if you think you'll like the games. Buy one battery pack and if they both run out, have a nap (its a long flight), or play a bit of Made in Wario on your GBA. no one is forcing you to only select one device for the trip :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dark, it has been confirmed that PSP does not have region locking for games, and will only have it for the UMD movies.

60fps @ TGS. That's good to hear assuming they were actual PSPs running the game.
Yes, those were actual PSPs running the game. Caried around by those girls.

Where did you hear that 60FPS comment from the FROM developer? I think two of the best looking games so far on PSP run at 60FPS, the other one being Hot Shots Golf.

mrklaw said:
Yeah, don't buy it for those occasions you go on long flights. Just like you wouldn't buy a 3rd gen ipod, or a portable DVD player, or a laptop, or pretty much anything other than a GBA.

Why not just buy one if you think you'll like the games. Buy one battery pack and if they both run out, have a nap (its a long flight), or play a bit of Made in Wario on your GBA. no one is forcing you to only select one device for the trip :/

I wouldn't dream of bringing only one device on the trip, what made you think that? But is three hours enough? Hell no. I can a good three hours at a time with GBA as it is, with the PSP I'd expect the same. Does any person here really think they'll always keep their PSP gametime under three hours? That's crazy. Road trips, plane trips, long hours on campus, etc, would lead one to spend a great deal more than three hours.

Marconelly said:
Where did you hear that 60FPS comment from the FROM developer? I think two of the best looking games so far on PSP run at 60FPS, the other one being Hot Shots Golf.

Yah even FROM's own Armored Core is running at 60fps on the PSP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But is three hours enough? Hell no.
OK, so where did this 3 hour thing come from now? You should probably be getting 5-6 hours of gameplay if you just keep the screen backlight at low (and even at that setting, it should be much, much brighter than GBA:SP light for example)

DaCocoBrova

Whatever I read, I read it here. They said getting the games to run at that clip was not easy. No one said it wasn't possible.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ah, I know what you are talking about. That was a comment by KOEI's programmer, talking about Dynasy Warriors PSP. But their game looks like crap anyways. Those people can't even make good looking DW on Xbox, much less anyting else.

Miburou

Can we get over the whole battery life issue? The PSP is a powerful handheld with a big, crystal clear screen, so it shouldn't be that surprising that its battery has a shorter life than the GBA SP's. And it's at least $50 cheaper than pretty much everybody here was expecting, so if battery life is such a big concern for someone, then that can use that $50 to buy an extra battery or two.

Brofist

Miburou said:
Can we get over the whole battery issue? The PSP is a powerful handheld with a big, crystal clear screen, so it shouldn't be that surprising that its battery has a shorter life than the GBA SP's. And it's at least $50 cheaper than pretty everybody here was expecting, so if battery life is such a big concern for someone, then that can use that $50 to buy an extra battery or two.

Exactly, this is a no brainer.

Brofist

evilromero said:
I wouldn't dream of bringing only one device on the trip, what made you think that? But is three hours enough? Hell no. I can a good three hours at a time with GBA as it is, with the PSP I'd expect the same. Does any person here really think they'll always keep their PSP gametime under three hours? That's crazy. Road trips, plane trips, long hours on campus, etc, would lead one to spend a great deal more than three hours.

You take a yearly trip to Japan, I'm assuming for vacation? Plus from the sounds of it you have quite a few gadgets in your possession and what not. Doesn't sound like you're hurting on cash, I think you can spring for an extra battery or 2 if you really want to use the PSP on a long flight.

If you need more than 6-8 hours of PSP play per flight, I might suggest these neat little things you read, made of pages of paper bound on one side and easily flipped through on the other :p . Amazing how much time they can kill and I know, I take 1-2 trips between Osaka and NY a year myself (family lives near NY, I live in Osaka) along with a handful of other flights :)

Or I might suggest participating in a frequent flier program. Half my trips end up in business class, because I get lots of upgrades from the miles. Usually business class seats have outlets, you can plug in for the whole trip.

Top Bottom