• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushmo/Pullblox |OT| of pushing, pulling and QR codes

Unicorn

Ha ha ha ha, yeah, that's basically the biggest reason I wanted this game too. :p Animal Crossing and all.

It's not quite big enough at first but it eventually quadruples in size. And when you unlock buttons and tunnels, you don't even have to desecrate your sprites to make them into playable levels.

WUUUT. How do?

BowieZ

Banned
9znwx.jpg

This one is... not easy ;)

M3d10n

I hope you guys played some of the later levels for inspiration before making your own puzzles. They introduce some bind-bending concepts that add delicious challenge, like requiring you to climb to a completely unrelated place so you can pull a block (and only once - pull twice and you'll mess it up) you'll need when climbing from a completely different route which requires you to undo your current climb path. Or the devilish one that requires you to keep undoing your moves as you climb a massive tower.

Boken

Banned
The pushing/pulling mechanic may seem simple, but it can be very complicated figuring out how the blocks need to be manipulated in order to climb to the top. About halfway through the game adds two new mechanics - ladders which can warp you to different parts of the stage, and switches that automatically pull out blocks of a certain color - which increase the complexity even further. I guarantee that there will be many puzzles which will take you a long time to figure out.

The best "games" (not only videogames) are the ones with simple mechanics and rules but deep gameplay!

Like pushmo. Like Go.

Shatner

Neo Member
xzFhQ.jpg

This guy is pretty darned easy right now, but I think I'll keep trying to refine him and make him more of a puzzler instead of an exercise. On the plus side... it's the EGGPLANT WIZARD!

The best "games" (not only videogames) are the ones with simple mechanics and rules but deep gameplay!

Like pushmo. Like Go.

Yep, you can throw Tetris and Rotohex in there as well. Games which take five seconds to learn how to play, but a lifetime to master.

Unicorn

Yep, you can throw Tetris and Rotohex in there as well. Games which take five seconds to learn how to play, but a lifetime to master.

YES!! Rotohex/Dialhex is amazing. I suggest it to everyone that wants a new puzzler after Tetris.

I've got a pushmo in the works. Gotta add manholes and ladders though. No other way to ascend it. Haha

Neiteio

This game is fantastic. I love Mario Kart 7 (see avatar), but Pushmo has that great "can't put down"/"just one more try" quality that made Super Mario 3D Land so ridiculously addicting. And yet, if it weren't for GAF, I wouldn't know the first thing about this game, because I've seen all of nothing on it elsewhere. "Quality" isn't what I typically think of when I see eShop items; maybe it's because the shit presentation of the shop with the bulky icons and bizarre categorization makes it seem sloppy and cheap. But there's nothing sloopy about Pushmo.

I love the Katamari-esque art direction and the way the sumo-thong-clad hero jiggles as he jumps. I love the gameplay; it's like Catherine (one of the best games this year), but with no ledge hanging, and the ability to jump gaps and cross diagonally. I love the use of 3D, which works so well with brightly colored worlds like these and the Mario games. I love the clean presentation. And I haven't even touched Pushmo Studio yet, but I'm looking forward to nostalgia-fueled sprite renditions. (Someone should do Rex from Mario World.)

At $7, with 250 puzzles made by Intelligent Systems of Advance Wars and Fire Emblem fame, and the ability to create your own, this is an absolute steal of a deal. One of the best games on the 3DS, physical and non-physical media alike. Buy buy buy!

BowieZ

Banned
There's so gotta be a sequel to this in the works.

They don't have to go crazy with new mechanics, just one or two simple additions and it's a whole new ball... err... block game.

How 'bout (instead of a switch or a child) a spare block pops up when you pull it out, and this can be pushed about in any direction to aid your ascent, falling off ledges to your pullings down below where need be. Maybe even can fall through manholes and through some rigging appear even higher than before!

Neiteio

At what point do you have the full canvas for Pushmo Studio? And what are the pixel dimensions at that point? I.E. 30x30?

BowieZ

Banned
At what point do you have the full canvas for Pushmo Studio? And what are the pixel dimensions at that point? I.E. 30x30?
I think after the third series of Challenge levels. And it's 32x32, so most large sprites from the SNES era backwards can be Pullbloxed.

I hope you guys played some of the later levels for inspiration before making your own puzzles. They introduce some bind-bending concepts that add delicious challenge, like requiring you to climb to a completely unrelated place so you can pull a block (and only once - pull twice and you'll mess it up) you'll need when climbing from a completely different route which requires you to undo your current climb path. Or the devilish one that requires you to keep undoing your moves as you climb a massive tower.
You played any of mine yet?

Neiteio

I think after the third series of Challenge levels. And it's 32x32, so most large sprites from the SNES era backwards can be Pullbloxed.
32x32? Beautiful. I'm looking at a shorter sprite that's about 30 across, so this should work well once I unlock the canvas... One thing, though. Can I go back and add features to a Pushmo I've already designed? Like when I unlock the warps, can I go back to ones I made and simply add them in?

Also, why can't NOA and NOE name their games the same? :-\

BowieZ

Banned
32x32? Beautiful. I'm looking at a shorter sprite that's about 30 across, so this should work well once I unlock the canvas... One thing, though. Can I go back and add features to a Pushmo I've already designed? Like when I unlock the warps, can I go back to ones I made and simply add them in?
You can, but seriously, just plow ahead till you unlock the warps, then start going design crazy!

Also, why can't NOA and NOE name their games the same? :-\
I know, right? I'm currently driving through "Melody Motorway" in MK7, and the logo for its alternate US name "MUSIC PARK!!!" is emblazoned absolutely everywhere.

Unicorn

HNI_0009_JPG.jpg

An Animal Crossing t-shirt design I made over 8 years ago... now a Pushmo.

Sort of simple, but I wanted it in other people's hands. Would love to make it more difficult, so critique is most welcome!

For those curious. Reach Level 109 to get bigger canvas (manhole and ladder are attained earlier). You can skip levels to get to it, but beating 109 is not necessary.

Forkball

I got this today and damn it's addicting. I can't believe this game flew under my radar. I know the eShop gets criticized a lot for its prices ($5 Cut the Rope lol) but this could have been a retail title.

The only problem with the game is that I can't download some of these levels because my shop isn't upgraded yet. How long do I need to play before I can download any map I want?

Neiteio

I got this today and damn it's addicting. I can't believe this game flew under my radar. I know the eShop gets criticized a lot for its prices ($5 Cut the Rope lol) but this could have been a retail title.

The only problem with the game is that I can't download some of these levels because my shop isn't upgraded yet. How long do I need to play before I can download any map I want?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but apparently by the time you get to level 109, your canvas size will have expanded to the full 32x32, and all the warps and such will be available to you, so you should be able to download via QR code scanning any map the Pushmo community has concocted.

Wizpig

YES!! Rotohex/Dialhex is amazing. I suggest it to everyone that wants a new puzzler after Tetris.

I've got a pushmo in the works. Gotta add manholes and ladders though. No other way to ascend it. Haha
I always wanted to buy that DSiware puzzle game with YMCK music.

YMCK, Nintendo 8-bit stuff... best game ever? will buy on the XL one day or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZH_FQf7lQ

schlew

I've had little to no problem with most of the game, and then BAM. Challenge 2-15. I feel like I must be missing something simple that's introduced in this stage, b/c I can't get through the follwoing three stages either. I can't seem to find any answers for this problem through Google, so I've resorted to embarrassing myself in front of you all.

Can anyone help me with 2-15?

abasm

If Catherine is digital, then Pushmo is analog. Where Catherine is strict in its internal logic, Pushmo is more lenient. Some of the earlier puzzles can be solved quicker with creative jumping--not something that can be said of Catherine.

I enjoy puzzles in adventure games but I'm usually not into straight puzzle games. Pushmo has managed to win my heart though. I guess it helps that you control a little guy that jumps around. I find that a bit more involving than the usual puzzler. It's also a great fit for the 3DS, as it's one of the few games on the system that I would never want to play in 2D mode.

Game is getting hard though, dunno how far I'll be able to get. I've more of a literary brain so I'm not very good at puzzles.

Unicorn

I always wanted to buy that DSiware puzzle game with YMCK music.

YMCK, Nintendo 8-bit stuff... best game ever? will buy on the XL one day or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZH_FQf7lQ

I bought that solely because of YMCK, but I was kind of disappointed by the gameplay. Seemed to move too quickly for me to try and plan moves out without muscle memory and pattern recognition. The music was great though. Haha
It was mostly the stylus only gameplay that turned me off. Blocks were too small for me too accurately place stuff with my hand in the way.. an XL might fix that though.

Neiteio

Doing work but I just want to play Pushmo. :-\

NA version has superior name, btw. "Pushmo" = "Push + Sumo" and "Push mo' blocks."

Take that, culturally uppity Europeans!

BowieZ

Banned

NA version has superior name, btw. "Pushmo" = "Push + Sumo" and "Push mo' blocks."

But why not 'Pullmo'? Considering the thing basically revolves around pulling rather than pushing.

mclem

But you primarily pull! There's significantly less pushing!

Ragus

Banned
I would kill to play this game on my 3DS, but I don't have a credit card, and no prepaid cards are avaible in my country :(.

Shit sucks.

Wizpig

If Catherine is digital, then Pushmo is analog. Where Catherine is strict in its internal logic, Pushmo is more lenient. Some of the earlier puzzles can be solved quicker with creative jumping--not something that can be said of Catherine.
Nice description, this is why this is far more fun.
Also, no time limit.

Catherine @ Easy makes you look like an idiot, the game plays itself and is far too easy.
Catherine @ Normal is not lenient at all, less fun, you need to die and die again to learn the mechanics. also it's not a good thing that i loved the social parts but disliked the actual puzzle game.

:] Thanks guys.

That was before I extracted the pullblox palette from the QR-Photos for 1 hour.

For Magnum, I took an image, resized to 32x32, and restricted the palette to 10 colors in photoshop (image > mode > indexed colors; then set the desired dithering method). Then I copied the pixels one by one and adjusted the palette ingame by eye. Not really the best way since some colors on the pullblox palette are missing and some are way too similar to others...

So, as I said, I extracted the actual palette.

Here it is (.act - file)

pullbloxpalette.png

Sadly, I don't know of a way to set the palette to 10 colors AND use a custom palette at the same time. In my Photoshop CS1 you could only do one after the other (first restrict to 10 colors and then use the pullblox palette)...

Maybe someone knows a better way or program to do this.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Have you seen this?

7sqxiv

Hideki Kamiya posted it on his Twitter Account. Don't know if it works......

wow, the only thing more amazing is the amount of slowdown!

Holy crap that level was fun! No super difficult but nice platforming at parts and time consuming.

Top Bottom