• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushmo/Pullblox |OT| of pushing, pulling and QR codes

I can make THAT jump?! Argh! I struggled for hours on this puzzle because I never thought I could make a certain jump. Eventually I just kept trying it because I saw no other way to do this puzzle, and it works! WTF, IntSys! You're diabolical.

Never thought three puzzles in a row would piss me off so much

I hate Puzzle 171. How do I solve it?

It's not too difficult, here's a hint:

After you step on the dark brown switch, you need to pull the light brown block all the way out from the side so that you can pull the yellow block out after you go through the ladder. After you hit the brown switch the only hard part is figuring out how to get back to the lower ladder, but you just need to manipulate the lower blocks (specifically the really big one and the other two on the left) a little bit.

-KRS-

JUST bought this!
(Yeah I know, I'm late..)

Now, I thought I wouldn't think much of it, but this game is really damned great so far. I finished all the tutorial stuff and some of the first real levels so far, but already I'm hooked on this idea. And I just love everything about the game; from the gameplay idea, the artstyle, the music, everything is really well done. The only thing I regret is not buying it sooner.

Oh well back to playing!

marjo

I'm so glad this thread exists, otherwise I never would have known about this game. I bought it due to all the glowing recomendations, and I have to say that they were right on.

This game is fantastic. An absolute delight to play. It's definately one of the best I've played this year.

tuffy

I can make THAT jump?! Argh! I struggled for hours on this puzzle because I never thought I could make a certain jump. Eventually I just kept trying it because I saw no other way to do this puzzle, and it works! WTF, IntSys! You're diabolical.
The beauty of the game is that there's no penalty for failing a jump, so there's no reason not to try. If you wind up missing and fall all the way to the bottom, just hold down the rewind button and try a different approach. That way one can concentrate more on block arranging than on platforming.

My first puzzle:

izIY7.jpg

Magnum is having some heavy slow downs here (in my head and on screen lol). Great work!
And every Puzzle with an QR code has to be beatable, right?
Because some puzzles I downloaded have a lock symbol...

Foffy

Banned
Man, some of these are really tricky...

4-7 comes off to me as a level that doesn't seem possible to complete without some magic. 4-6 was my most hated level, as the game is not designed for diagonal jumping from an inner layer to an outer one as the puzzle was designed.

AK6Vi.jpg

here.

i took the image from a perler bead website.
its the best way to get good pixelated images.

somebody please try this one! tell me how it goes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
2HT9J.jpg

here.

i took the image from a perler bead website.
its the best way to get good pixelated images.

somebody please try this one! tell me how it goes.

Eh... got a "This Pullblox is too difficult for you"- message and wasnt allowed to QR it.

._.

Guess need to play some more.

Unicorn

I wanted to take a moment to give my thoughts on a few pushmo that I played through during the weekend.

jfWeL.jpg

This was a good pushmo. Nice moments where I had to examine my climbing path. It is simple and fairly quick. I would recommend this to anyone that likes pokemon and wants more pokemon pushmos. This and the pokeball (below) are great starter pushmos. (I'm thinking of organizing my pages for themes and I'll have a couple pokemon pages, organized by difficulty. These two would be the first pushmo on the list.)

1321431443.JPG

This would probably be the first pushmo in my pokemon themed list. It's a great, simple pushmo that eases the basics of ascension to the player.

1321445328.JPG

This was a really mind-altering pushmo. I kept attempting to play it as if I was playing Mario, but there is some readjusting I had to do with my mind and really think outside the box in order to progress. There were a few moments where I wondered how I was possibly going to progress, but after a moment I stopped thinking linearly and figured it out. Though, there seemed to be a couple areas where it looks like the creator had to add/change some pixel/blocks around in order to make for a simpler way around certain parts. If they eventually improve upon it with some puzzle concepts from later levels of the main game, I think this could be a must-own, but for now, it's a great level to play for those familiar/nostalgic.

DdQ9b.jpg

This one took me a while to finally figure out. A couple times I just got stuck and had no idea where to go or what to do, so I went and played some others. After a few failed attempts I finally was able to complete it. I can't help but chuckle at the thought of pulling Megaman's underwear out, in 3D. For the Megaman fan, this is a must-have for the collection.

1321445473.JPG

Holy mother, this was an amazing pushmo. This hit home every concept the game has to offer, save for the brainbending pulling puzzles that you would find later in the main stages of the game. Great use of ascension, through thoughtful climbing, fantastic use of push buttons for advancing progress instead of just an escape for a creatively deprived level creator. The ladders make great use of exploration and get the player planning their moves a good ways ahead. This also has some really fun platforming moments, which in turn make for some perfect use of the rewind trigger. Throughout I was realizing I forgot to move a couple blocks back or out, so I had to hit the trigger, sometimes going back through ladders to correct miscalculations. Basically, this is the best custom pushmo I have played yet.

All in all, the QR code sharing, and the community sharing has securely kept this game as my go-to bathroom time-passer. I can't wait to see what other users create over time once their level making abilities improve. So far, it looks like there is some serious talent out there that can mix good pixel art with great pushmo levels. I just really wanted to gloat about how great this game is, how easy it is to create a level and how simple some great content can be pushed out in almost no time at all. Infinite replay, indeed.

Mistle

Went ahead and bought this. Really fun! Up to the third "world", hopefully it gets a lot harder.

Sometimes I feel like I'm completing a level "wrong". Like, I do something, be it an awkward jump or whatever, and feel like I kind of cheated. Anybody else get that feeling?

Truth101

Banned
Went ahead and bought this. Really fun! Up to the third "world", hopefully it gets a lot harder.

Sometimes I feel like I'm completing a level "wrong". Like, I do something, be it an awkward jump or whatever, and feel like I kind of cheated. Anybody else get that feeling?
Leaves a bit of flexibility

BowieZ

Banned
The first in a series of challenging Yoshi's Island inspired levels I'm creating:

i4doQ.jpg

Only experts should even attempt this one.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Eurogamer : 9/10
In many ways, Pullblox is Nintendo's answer to Portal. Both are budget puzzlers released to little fanfare that exhibit the finest qualities of their respective developers. Sliding blocks around may not have the kinetic energy of Mario or the exploratory nature of Zelda, but it maintains the playfulness and intricate craftsmanship that's made other Nintendo series so revered. With news circulating that Shigeru Miyamoto would like to focus on small ideas, one need only look towards Pullblox as a shining example of what the Kyoto-based company can do in the modest-priced digital market.

Mistle

I don't know about the Portal comparison lol... But everything else I agree with.

So why is this called Pushmo in America? Makes no sense! lol. Sorry that I'm so behind on this.

japtor

Made one for my site:

CAvF8.png

I don't think it's too tricky...but I tested it a crapload while making it so my perception may be a bit off on the difficulty. I think I had more trouble with it on my first version which was pretty messy.

And a sort of NSFW one so linking it only: goatmo.cx
(you can probably figure out what that one is from the name)

mclem

And a sort of NSFW one so linking it only: goatmo.cx
(you can probably figure out what that one is from the name)

It crosses my mind that with careful use of cut-and-paste and a suitably innocuous-looking existing pushmo QR code, you could give someone a nasty surprise...

Use the 3DS browser and upload just like you'd do on a PC. When you tap a "select file" button on an website you can choose a file from your pictures to upload.

Somehow this doesn't work for me :(
I choose the image and it loads for like 1 sec. and nothing is uploaded on imgur.com. Already tried both, from sd card and from system memory... Any ideas?

japtor

Somehow this doesn't work for me :(
I choose the image and it loads for like 1 sec. and nothing is uploaded on imgur.com. Already tried both, from sd card and from system memory... Any ideas?
Well there's two steps to it, maybe you aren't seeing the second if you're zoomed in enough. After you pick the file it sticks it into a file queue underneath so you have to scroll down a bit, there's a different upload button (or something) that you have to hit there.

stolin

Okay. Someone's gonna have to educate me on No.143. It's had me stumped for days.

For #143 4-17

Pull Pink out 3
Pull light blue out 2
Pull purple out 1
Push pink in 1
Step on purple switch
Push Pink in 1
Take purple ladder
Step on brown switch
Take red ladder
Step on pink switch
Pull White out 2 (for green ladder later)
Jump down, push light blue all the way in
Push Pink in 2, making green ladder appear open
Take Green ladder
Take Blue ladder
WIN!

Kai

I have been stuck on 161 for 3 days =*(. I usually never ask for help - but I just don't get it....

** Edit - and as I was typing it I just figured it out - I had to make a jump I didn't think I could make....

** Edit #2 - stuck again...

Foffy

Banned
So why is this called Pushmo in America? Makes no sense! lol. Sorry that I'm so behind on this.

Mallo is a sumo-ish character and he pushes things....I guess Sumo + Push = Pushmo?

I'm sure someone already mentioned that, though.

I myself seem to be stuck on 171...any tips?

japtor

Anyone try it yet? =C
Just did it now, wasn't as evil/hard as I feared thankfully. Didn't have to do much to get to the flag (basically just stayed in the bottom half of the level), although the middle bottom part was annoying to get around.

Can you try mine out (the "hippotrouble" one above)? I'm wondering if it's pretty simple to figure out or not, no clue if there's ways to solve it beyond the way I designed.

Truth101

Banned
Just did it now, wasn't as evil/hard as I feared thankfully. Didn't have to do much to get to the flag (basically just stayed in the bottom half of the level), although the middle bottom part was annoying to get around.

Can you try mine out (the "hippotrouble" one above)? I'm wondering if it's pretty simple to figure out or not, no clue if there's ways to solve it beyond the way I designed.
Yeah, I was going to make it more challenging but I haven't unlocked the large canvas yet.

I'll try yours in a bit baking cookies right now!

I wish you could disable rewinding!!!

japtor

Yeah, I was going to make it more challenging but I haven't unlocked the large canvas yet.

I'll try yours in a bit baking cookies right now!

I wish you could disable rewinding!!!
Oh then it won't let you try it then I think, mine is probably too big for you so far.

The game could be a lot more frustrating without rewinding cause the irreversible block moves/jumps here and there. If it were a quicker paced game with easier puzzles it might be ok, but it'd be pretty annoying to have to set up a bunch of stuff again on harder levels cause you made a basic mistake.

Chopper

For #143 4-17

Pull Pink out 3
Pull light blue out 2
Pull purple out 1
Push pink in 1
Step on purple switch
Push Pink in 1
Take purple ladder
Step on brown switch
Take red ladder
Step on pink switch
Pull White out 2 (for green ladder later)
Jump down, push light blue all the way in
Push Pink in 2, making green ladder appear open
Take Green ladder
Take Blue ladder
WIN!

Thankyou. I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm almost positive I had done all of that before. I feel stupid. :(

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone try it yet? =C

Just tried it. I don't know if this was intended (I assume not) but I was able to complete it instantly by
pulling out everything on the left and climbing the middle up to the red block on the left and falling down to the goal

Well there's two steps to it, maybe you aren't seeing the second if you're zoomed in enough. After you pick the file it sticks it into a file queue underneath so you have to scroll down a bit, there's a different upload button (or something) that you have to hit there.

zoomed in, zoomed out. No new button or queue or such thing there...

nny

Thanks to this thread and some reviews I picked this game yesterday and wow, I like a lot!

Pointing the 3DS to a screen and getting a new puzzle is kinda awesome.

CoolS

Finally updated the OP for you guys. Sorry it took so long, damn SWTOR. I also updated post #240.

It's great to see that so many people are buying and enjoying this game. it really is the sleeper hit of the year imo.

Top Bottom