• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

japtor

Gotta say, this has instantly become THE office game. Hell, we went out and bought MK8D for the office, but barely touched it because everyone was too addicted to this. It's great because 90% of the population is at the same skill level of, "I've played Tetris on a gameboy or a phone before". Because of this equal footing and the universal appeal, we had a great spread of guys and gals, which is something that wouldn't have happened in say, MK8D where the guys have all played hours and hours of MK at 150cc already. Our favorite has been 2v2 swap mode since Puyo has been the wild card mode where anything goes and anyone can steal away a win because we're all bad at it and having teams adds a bit more drama to it all.

Considering that I was skeptical myself at how fun multiplayer Tetris could be, it was a lot of fun watching equally skeptical people come up to watch and then asking for a turn. Definitely would recommend this as a universal party game.
I am not part of that 90% so have resorted to playing my friends 1 on 3. The combination of single joycon controls and interference/lagginess almost evens it out. Well still not enough for the most part.

But yeah we all suck at Puyo too. One friend showed promise once as part of the team but he's not good enough (yet!) to compete at Puyo vs Tetris one on one. He did get two rounds before I took three in a row once in Tetris though. The potential is there.
You could add in a cpu teammate for them and up the ability on it if necessary, or do one-handed controls and you have to play as two players at once for added distraction.
...oh god I'll have to try this sometime. Against another friend I handicapped myself by swapping left/right joycons, but I was still too fast as long as I didn't have to rotate a piece on the way down. Playing double one handed should be fun.
How do I unlock the hidden characters?
Besides Adventure mode, there's a cheat code to unlock everything.

S2

Here's a VOD of the International Puyo Puyo Tetris Exhibition Matches today. They're matches between the best players of France, the US, and Japan. Timestamps for your convenience:

21:25 me vs BrouH (Puyo vs Puyo)
32:15 Hakkai vs Wumbotize (Tetris vs Tetris) (sorry OBS crashed during this match)
35:48 Zulu vs amemiyataiyou (Tetris vs Tetris)
39:24 Jet9set vs satakame (Puyo vs Puyo)
48:43 extremely painful Puyo & Tetris teams. me and wumbo vs satakame and amemiyataiyou
1:13:35 Swap mode teams with amemiya, satakame, and wumbo
1:55:04 Swap mode teams with this one french newbie seeking death lol
2:05:05 AMAZING Swap Mode teams with me, amemiyataiyou, mickey, and satakame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SJqjMBhr80

This is Puyo Puyo and Tetris at their highest level.

Bii

Here's a VOD of the International Puyo Puyo Tetris Exhibition Matches today. They're matches between the best players of France, the US, and Japan. Timestamps for your convenience:

21:25 me vs BrouH (Puyo vs Puyo)
32:15 Hakkai vs Wumbotize (Tetris vs Tetris) (sorry OBS crashed during this match)
35:48 Zulu vs amemiyataiyou (Tetris vs Tetris)
39:24 Jet9set vs satakame (Puyo vs Puyo)
48:43 extremely painful Puyo & Tetris teams. me and wumbo vs satakame and amemiyataiyou
1:13:35 Swap mode teams with amemiya, satakame, and wumbo
1:55:04 Swap mode teams with this one french newbie seeking death lol
2:05:05 AMAZING Swap Mode teams with me, amemiyataiyou, mickey, and satakame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SJqjMBhr80

This is Puyo Puyo and Tetris at their highest level.

Back-to-back-to-back-to-back T-Spins and Perfect Clears. o_O

StayDead

Wow, I went from losing 7 in a row to winning 7 in a row and after 3 months finally making it to Beginner 1. Nobody seems to understand how to play PuyoTetoMix, but I played it a lot so whenever it comes up I seem to do really well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I bought the physical version but is there a chance that this game will be available digitally on PS4?
The thing is, the Tetris Company has this rule about not having "competing" versions of their game on the same platform, i.e. when there was a new Tetris on 3DS, Nintendo had to remove the VC version of the Game Boy port. It's the reason why Switch can have it digital, but PS4 can't because there already exists Tetris Ultimate.

So honestly, I don't think so. It could be why they let the PS4 retail version be $30 instead of $40.

I bought the physical version but is there a chance that this game will be available digitally on PS4?

<1% chance, for the three years that versions of this game have been available in Japan, the Switch version is the first to have a digital version available due to a loophole in Tetris licensing

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There exists digital versions in Japan for PS3 & Vita, but that's it, I think. PS4 digital flat-out doesn't exist thanks to Ubisoft & Tetris Ultimate.

Peru

I've been replaying the demo a lot and am quite hellbent on getting good at this game now lol. Reading up on some basic strategy. Never played Puyo before but it's really appealing to me. I do want to see some signs of progress in my play though, before I actually go ahead and purchase it. At least I'm managing to set up a few chains.

I tried the demo on the switch and have really been enjoying the heck out of it. So I just picked it up @ the store just now. Sad part is, I haven't even won a round. This and MK8 will be pretty fun to play while waiting in lines @ E3

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying the game but struggling with Puyo Puyo. Need to watch the chain videos again and practice in endless mode I guess.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
uuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh of course I lose when I would've gotten 10 wins AND a promotion

whatever, 10 online wins, I'm done with online.

Also, my bad, Party & Tiny Puyo also has characters whose Puyo layout change depending on the character, but it's ONLY Puyo that seems to differ. I don't think Tetris is affected.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah, okay. The game didn't seem to mention that when selecting a character.

Phew, close to 100k minos, almost at 89k, thank goodness for Big Bang. Though ugh, I'm just under 20k puyos popped, getting 100k is going to be a grrriiinnnddd.

-shadow-

Back-to-back-to-back-to-back T-Spins and Perfect Clears. o_O

My reaction was about the same as this:

mqdefault.jpg

zigg

Still can't get a good handle on Puyo as soon as the random crap starts raining down.

I think I can't deal with the stress.

tsundoku

i'm probably crazy for thinking this but it feels like some of the garbage that rains down in puyo should be coloured? It seems way too easy to set off a big tetris chain and then a small puyo chain and flood the opponent's puyo board with so much garbage that there isn't even enough room to put 4 puyos of a colour together and try and work through some of the garbage

Is there a color blind mode for puyo puyo? Yeah I know the eyes are supposed to help but in the heat of the moment my brain has a hard time seeing them :|

Why did certain puyo puyo modes allow for hard drop and others don't? What's the reasoning? In the tutorials they teach the puyo hard drop without mentioning you cannot do it in certain modes, I found that weird.

totowhoa

Banned
Is there a color blind mode for puyo puyo? Yeah I know the eyes are supposed to help but in the heat of the moment my brain has a hard time seeing them :|

I'm only just downloading the game right now, but I remember reading that they do have options to help with this

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't know which one would help but in Options, you can change the appearance of both the Puyos & Minos.

Edit: Alphabet might be what you want, as it changes the puyos to the first letter of their color (Purple = P, Yellow = Y, etc.), perhaps that might help? You'll have to buy it in the shop, but it's only 100 credits, making it the cheapest skin to unlock.

Man, the swap mode is probably my favorite mode in the game.

So much strategy with setting up stuff with the timer, so it goes off at the right time, along with needing to switch my brain around every time the modes swap.

Also beating the brutal space ghost dude was totally worth it to unlock Satan. Too bad his theme isn't in the game as far as I can tell.

I'm only just downloading the game right now, but I remember reading that they do have options to help with this

I will never stop recommending the "Flat" skin for this. It's cheap in the in-game shop and retains a classic Puyo look while also providing more than enough distinctiveness for colorblind players like me.

I wouldn't want to play with stuff like the alphabet or Sonic skins since it doesn't feel like Puyo then to me personally. :p

EDIT: They look like this, but, you know, flat and on the screen instead of posed:
puyo_cut_small_2537.png

Flat helps for all but blue and purple which I still occasionally get mixed. Alphabet makes it easy but they look really cringe worthy.

Getting high scores in puyo battle for 3 stars is frustrating. I'll do like a 5 chain, not get enough points, and the ai instantly dies

Cerium

Oh man guys I'm scared to go online but I'm really enjoying the Adventure Mode. This has seized my attention over Mario Kart.

totowhoa

Banned
Oh man guys I'm scared to go online but I'm really enjoying the Adventure Mode. This has seized my attention over Mario Kart.

Just got the game and having fun online :) playing through some of second world helped me get a feel for the games again. Since online is ranked, things are more balanced. I think I'm 2-2 for online now. I had to learn how the fusion mode worked on the fly in one of them - it's a really cool mode!

DKL

I honestly haven't even touched online yet since I'm still learning setups :v

Even after learning tho, I'll probably get rocked since I haven't even touched the meta around screen watching lol

Playing with tunnel vision for now >_>

f@luS

More than a member.
help me getting better at puyo

finished first area with 3 star everywhere but last stage cant do more than 1 star
i sux at puyo, where tetris is so easy....

cant do a lot of points

damn

ChrisD

Matchmaking is bad, and I really hope it balances out over time. I fought some number one dude from his Japanese region, he was like 57th best Worldwide. Immediately after I went against some guy from Ohio that had like 1798 Rating.

A result of low player count or..?

When you match with someone equal to you(r badness, cuz man I learned that I suck at Tetris) it's the funnest thing. Had a marathon round last night where I won first round, they won second, then we both got stuck at the top of our boards for a few minutes at the end. I slipped up and line-pieced my right-side off, which was disappointing at the time, but I think it was more that they had the better stamina; the game did go to fourteen minutes (all three), after all! It was a neck-and-neck the whole time, so it really did have to come down to who cracked first.

Camjo-Z

help me getting better at puyo

finished first area with 3 star everywhere but last stage cant do more than 1 star
i sux at puyo, where tetris is so easy....

cant do a lot of points

damn

I used a basic strategy to get three stars pretty consistently, and it's easy to pull off. Basically you repeatedly stack 3 puyos with the color of the next stack on top. Imagine each letter is a different colored puyo:

BCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD

Get rid of the A puyo and the B makes a chain, which makes a C chain, etc.

Nico_D

Is there difference between characters? It seems like I am getting easier tetris pieces with one than another. We even switched characters with my wife and I started losing. True or placebo?

DKL

I'm watching high level tetris players insert z blocks and stuff into cramped spaces.

Is there some kind of guide to doing this? I've searched all over, but have not been able to find anything since I don't actually know what the name of the technique lol

I'm watching high level tetris players insert z blocks and stuff into cramped spaces.

Is there some kind of guide to doing this? I've searched all over, but have not been able to find anything since I don't actually know what the name of the technique lol
It should just be called Z-swapping. Like a t-swap but no bonus for it.

Top Bottom