• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Gsnap

Indeed, I actually think Tetris and Puyo don't have too much in common except the obvious "drop puzzle" genre. They have a really different feel - Tetris is faster, more primal and minimalist, whereas Puyo feels more elaborate, with a higher learning curve and a distinct method of attack and defense.

Like one of the guys in the recent 8-4 podcast said, it feels like those two games hit different parts of the brain. I initially didn't like that I have to consciously think ahead more in Puyo, but with enough practice you can really seek your brain learning patterns and executing them almost reflexively.

After an certain point, Tetris feels like it is "just" about speed, consistency and execution, whereas I still learn new approaches and strategies in Puyo. Still, Tetris has a legendary status of intuitiveness that will probably never be surpassed.

Yeah it seems like there's a lot more possibilities for interaction between players in puyo due to how garbage drops and is cleared. Seems more interesting as a versus game than Tetris.

lt519

Do connection drops count for/against your rating? I've beaten a couple 4000+ players that frankly weren't very good and I got disconnects after the match. I'm at 3300+.

After an certain point, Tetris feels like it is "just" about speed, consistency and execution, whereas I still learn new approaches and strategies in Puyo. Still, Tetris has a legendary status of intuitiveness that will probably never be surpassed.

I still haven't wrapped my head around Puyo. But in high level Tetris play you need to be very good at clearing garbage rows as quickly as you can so you can get back to chaining 4 line clears. Clearing garbage rows can be very cerebral in that you need to plan every drop so you don't block other garbage rows. Dunno how to explain it, but there's Tetris solo play where it is instinctual but in competitive you have to plan and see several pieces ahead or your garbage rows will eat you alive.

tsundoku

Whats the deal with the PuyoPuyo color randomization? Sometimes there will be green or purple or maybe more puyos.

Just for flavour and variety?
Same as the characters? I assume if they had different abilities I would have noticed by now.

Also is there actually a cheat code / button sequence for adventure mode unlocks or was that just in a different game?

Man this game is crazy. Not sure how I've never managed to play some version of this game before since there's so many of them, but I'm glad I picked this one up. I've been watching professional play and practicing and I've gotten noticeably better, but I'm still really really bad. I love how the game is built around multiplayer. Watching pro play is fascinating. Like high speed chess. All the various setups and harassments. It's like they aren't even playing a puzzle game anymore.

Puyo often gets compared to fighting games with how harassment and countering eerily resembles the neutral game and footsies.

I just bought it on Switch a few hours ago. I also bought Mario Kart which has been taking forever to download. I thought maybe MK8D was a big game because of all of the included DLC. I checked again on the eShop. NOPE! 6.7 gigs. Nintendo better fix this shit if they're going to start charging.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Whats the deal with the PuyoPuyo color randomization? Sometimes there will be green or purple or maybe more puyos.

Just for flavour and variety?
Same as the characters? I assume if they had different abilities I would have noticed by now.

Also is there actually a cheat code / button sequence for adventure mode unlocks or was that just in a different game?

Characters only matter for Fusion and Party, where the Puyo shape sequence varies by character. They don't affect the colors.

There is an unlock code in the Switch version (
While holding L+R on the title screen, press Up, Down, Right, Left, X, B, Y, Y
), as well as one in the Japanese PS4 version, but the western PS4 version either changed the code or it became a victim of the usual X/O input swap.

dock

What do the characters say when you clear 1-3 lines in Tetris?

I'm grateful for the plain Tetris mode. I haven't tried the other modes yet.

lt519

Just beat another 4000+ Puyo player. It's an interesting dynamic Puyo vs Tetris, I have to play completely different than in a Tetris v Tetris match to have any measure of success. I've saved a bunch of Puyo videos so I can watch them play.

Just played a 5000+ Puyo player, not a god damn chance. Not even sure I got close to getting them in trouble.

Yeah it makes sense. The level of interplay is much higher than I would have expected.

There's a fairly well established competitive Puyo scene in Japan - things like certain arcades where all the best players train, players getting sponsored specifically for their Puyo prowess, and appearances on broadcast TV. Also scandals involving dirty money I guess so thats how you know its esports

Here's some video from last year's S-Rank League, long sets between players go up to FT100 in some circumstances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHwGzzQagk

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
That stutter when you get a large chain going sounds so good. Is that in every Puyo puyo?

In all of the games that Sega made.

It's actually a stealth reference to the dungeon crawlers that inspired Puyo Puyo; one of the spells there increases the effectiveness of Arle's next attack while also causing her to stutter it. In the Japanese version, Arle actually uses said spell as part of her attack phrases, with the next move always getting the stutter effect.

Kouriozan

In all of the games that Sega made.

It's actually a stealth reference to the dungeon crawlers that inspired Puyo Puyo; one of the spells there increases the effectiveness of Arle's next attack while also causing her to stutter it. In the Japanese version, Arle actually uses said spell as part of her attack phrases, with the next move always getting the stutter effect.
Yep, look here for reference -> https://youtu.be/1fhM4G6QAWE?t=2h22m38s

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-fire!

Diacute ("want more?" in Puyo Puyo Tetris English) is one of Arle's spell that increase the number of time the next spell is casted.

MouldyK

Playing with the Switch Wheels is more comfy than a Single Joycon (even with the strap add-ons).

Gonna keep these babies on hand for making the Joycons bigger even though my hands are small anyway haha.

-shadow-

I'm probably overlooking it. But where's classic Puyo Puyo/Tetris? My sister want to play solo Tetris, but I'm not seeing the option.

Edit: and I just found it. That's a terrible place to put the option...

MouldyK

I'm probably overlooking it. But where's classic Puyo Puyo/Tetris? My sister want to play solo Tetris, but I'm not seeing the option.

Solo Arcade - Challenge.

Has:

- Sprint: 40 Lines as fast as possible.
- Endurance: 150 lines as fast as possible. (Settings can make it endless)
- Ultra: 3 Minute Score Run.

You can turn endless Tetris on in the customisation options.

Well there you guy. Teamwork has solved his dilemma!

Unknown?

In arcade solo during endurance is there anyway to play against just Puyo or Tetris matches? I find it harder playing a Tetris player with Puyo.

This game is so addicting, ive been playing online 4 hours straight or so without even noticing the time pass. My right thumb is in some serious pain now.

Rutger

Banned
Going for 3 stars in story is teaching me faster than I expected. Only in world 2 and I've needed to spend some time getting a basic 6 chain setup down. I'm still not as consistent as I'd like to be, but I'm getting there.

I've been focusing more on Puyo, I don't have a lot of experience playing it, but I find the playstyle very interesting. There's also a lot for me to learn in Tetris, since I never played it much outside of the old gameboy version, but I think I want to improve in Puyo more right now.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I can't tell if my joycons are broken or if I just hate HD Rumble. Is it supposed to be, like, extremely loud and kind of high pitched? And feel like something is very nearly breaking inside the controller?

The rumble when you drop pieces is cool but the buzz you get at the start and end of matches is just... deeply unpleasant.

I almost feel like it has to be a faulty unit on my end because I can't see how this is working as intended. Maybe I'll record the audio or something.

mstevens

What would you guys recommend practicing first on puyo puyo? I think I understand how sandwich chains work. Should I just practice getting 1 floor of that pretty consistently? I always panic when I get pieces that don't fit into what I'm building.

What would you guys recommend practicing first on puyo puyo? I think I understand how sandwich chains work. Should I just practice getting 1 floor of that pretty consistently? I always panic when I get pieces that don't fit into what I'm building.

Try going for speed+consistency. One thing that surprises me when I look back on replays is how slowly I play even when I don't think I'm dawdling during the actual match.

Fireblend

Banned

I went stairs->transitions->sandwich

If you can do transitions with stairs doing it with sandwich is a piece of cake. Not that I'm super good at the game, but I'm pretty satisfied with my skills, specially compared to when I first played the demo :p

Lately I've been getting matched with some super OP players, like above the top 500. Sometimes I win a game but lose the set and still feel like a Puyo god lol. I feel like even at high levels people can be easily surprised by a well planned harassment even of its a somewhat cheap way to win lol

mstevens

Man, as a beginner its just too overwhelming. One little thing messes up what I'm trying to do and I have literally 0 idea on what to do next. My brain can't seem to catch up to the current situation and I just putting down random crap and it's very frustrating. The game itself isn't bad or frustrating of course, I think it's great, it's just my lack of familiarity and skill.

I see there are a lot of really good tutorial videos online, but all of them explain things so fast and show examples that are so fast. Is there one that slowly walks through a random game of puyo and explains why he puts what where?

The chain creator things are helpful, but in reality the puyo that I get aren't the ones I need.

javadoze

It's a good place to start ( seeing how Stairs, while easy, is way too delicate to maintain in my opinion).

Not much I can say except practicing against CPUs to make sure you know how to handle garbage and being able to adapt on-the-fly.

Try going for speed+consistency. One thing that surprises me when I look back on replays is how slowly I play even when I don't think I'm dawdling during the actual match.

Same thing happens to me. I never think I'm moving slowly, but then I get matched up against a tetris player who fires off constant combos.

S2

Man, as a beginner its just too overwhelming. One little thing messes up what I'm trying to do and I have literally 0 idea on what to do next. My brain can't seem to catch up to the current situation and I just putting down random crap and it's very frustrating. The game itself isn't bad or frustrating of course, I think it's great, it's just my lack of familiarity and skill.

I see there are a lot of really good tutorial videos online, but all of them explain things so fast and show examples that are so fast. Is there one that slowly walks through a random game of puyo and explains why he puts what where?

The chain creator things are helpful, but in reality the puyo that I get aren't the ones I need.
https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Efficiency_1:_Color_Decisions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJszHBGaYh0

So guys, how strong are the folks in your region?
C-mc1SVUIAAERFu.jpg:small

Dinjoralo

There's a fairly well established competitive Puyo scene in Japan - things like certain arcades where all the best players train, players getting sponsored specifically for their Puyo prowess, and appearances on broadcast TV. Also scandals involving dirty money I guess so thats how you know its esports

Here's some video from last year's S-Rank League, long sets between players go up to FT100 in some circumstances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHwGzzQagk
Huh... Why are they still using Tsu for tournaments? Do later games like Puyo Tetris make changes to the Tsu rules that people don't like?

addyb

Holy shit some people are godlike on this online. Last game I had some Tetris player beat me in around 30 seconds. The speed he/she rotated and dropped was amazing and I just got overwhelmed quickly.

Huh... Why are they still using Tsu for tournaments? Do later games like Puyo Tetris make changes to the Tsu rules that people don't like?

There's very very minor quirks in every iteration like how soft drop bonus is calculated or frame data changes in how the puyos "bounce" while a chain resolves, but I'm pretty sure the actual reason is just arcade culture in Japan.

Peru

How long should it take for me to learn using 'stairs' in a natural way? I know it's the most basic of techniques. I'm playing the demo and feel the potential for heavy addiction but it's a bit hard to practice with the demo. And I understand how stairs work but dang it if I don't get distracted by 'wrong' colors showing up.

Just turned on the HD rumble. Why the hell is this disabled by standard? It's nothing amazing, but I quite like how it works when ranking a combo.

Yeah, same here.

Unrelated to that, the deeper I go into Puyo lore, the more I wish there was Puyo Puyo anime. Starring the entire cast AND the Puyos.

Does this game have dpad support on Switch? My fiance was complaining about the controls because it doesn't, I was just wondering.

I don't think I'd enjoy it with the analogue stick.

Stopdoor

Does this game have dpad support on Switch? My fiance was complaining about the controls because it doesn't, I was just wondering.

I don't think I'd enjoy it with the analogue stick.

Yeah, that's the main way to play, the Joy-con directional buttons actually work totally fine as well.

I should know better than to venture with this game online, but I still want to. Which, kinda brings me to a somewhat off topic question , sorry. ( I asked this in the MK8 thread but it got burried.) Can anyone recommend a Wi-Fi router that works well with the Switch? Mine crapped out and I never wanna get a Netgear again. (Was gonna put this in the general Switch thread, but it's locked.)

Imma just say...unless you KNOW..not THINK..KNOW that you are good at Tetris.

You will be humbled online.

When I got the chance to try online, the same held true for Puyo as well.

S2

There's very very minor quirks in every iteration like how soft drop bonus is calculated or frame data changes in how the puyos "bounce" while a chain resolves, but I'm pretty sure the actual reason is just arcade culture in Japan.
Yeah it's pretty much just arcade culture. The differences between tsu and modern puyo games are pretty negligible, even in high level play.
Recently though, I've noticed Japanese players organizing their own competitive leagues around Puyo Puyo Chronicle for the 3DS. They're streamed pretty often by piponeer12 https://www.twitch.tv/piponeer12

How long should it take for me to learn using 'stairs' in a natural way? I know it's the most basic of techniques. I'm playing the demo and feel the potential for heavy addiction but it's a bit hard to practice with the demo. And I understand how stairs work but dang it if I don't get distracted by 'wrong' colors showing up.
Stairs is hard to build cleanly with 4 colors unless you know how to tail or if you build the Turn Around (Transition) first. Doing either of those opens up more places for you to put other colors.

Yeah, same here.

Unrelated to that, the deeper I go into Puyo lore, the more I wish there was Puyo Puyo anime. Starring the entire cast AND the Puyos.
Well, COMPILE did some anime shorts a long time ago. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9AB9596F0B1AAB57

Top Bottom