• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

I stick to tetris but man going up against puyo puyo people online is some shit.

Everything is quiet then suddenly 3 minutes into the match TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH EVERYWHERE ON MY SIDE ON GOD

I have failed 5 league promotions today each one to a puyo puyo user.

Dinjoralo

Yeah it's pretty much just arcade culture. The differences between tsu and modern puyo games are pretty negligible, even in high level play.
Recently though, I've noticed Japanese players organizing their own competitive leagues around Puyo Puyo Chronicle for the 3DS. They're streamed pretty often by piponeer12 https://www.twitch.tv/piponeer12
Doesn't Japan have a huge handheld gaming market, which is why Monster Hunter has been on PSP and 3DS for so long? Maybe the Switch version of Puyo Tetris could've made it the version played at tournies, if it wasn't the third release of the game.

Speaking of, I hope Chronicles gets greenlighted for a translation, maybe a port to the Switch. Even if I think the 3D models have way less charm than the art in Puyo Tetris.

Kinsei

Banned
I stick to tetris but man going up against puyo puyo people online is some shit.

Everything is quiet then suddenly 3 minutes into the match TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH EVERYWHERE ON MY SIDE ON GOD

i find that you really gotta get in some early T spins (and a perfect clear wouldn't hurt either) when dealing with Puyo players.

Kumubou

If you're giving a Puyo player three minutes to set up shop, that's not going to end well. Having solid combo or T-spin openings is especially important aginst Puyo players that can consistently do long chains, because that's going to be your best opportunity to send over any significant harassment (if not end the game outright).

El Odio

Banned
Welp, beat adventure mode aside from 3 staring a handful of levels and did the first bonus chapter. I figured it'd be enjoyable enough but I'm surprised by how liked most of the story, mainly in regards to the humor and writing.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but do we have a place to list our FC and the like for this game? I'd love to try and have some matches with fellow gaffers while I finish clearing everything else.

How do people with no Puyo or Tetris experience even play this game haha?

I have LOTS of Puyo experience and a decent amount Tetris experience, and this game gets pretty hard at times. The final level in chapter 3 is destroying me.

arimanius

How the hell do I beat 3-10? The game turned distinctly not fun after trying for the 50th time.

I just had to keep trying to get Tetris clears and quickly as possible and then we the garbage blocks started to pile up on my side I just focused on staying alive. Took forever but finally beat it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*is on world 7* Oh god, I can't 3-star anything anymore, I'll never hit 100%....

*discovers
3 bonus worlds afterwards which let you go past 100% & still let you earn the trophy

OH THANK GOD.

Really should go back to my Vita import now. My only trophies left are the online ones, 1 & 3 perfect clears with Tetris, & the 50 & 100k cleared for Puyos & tetrominos. Thank goodness the game keeps track of your progress & Big Bang is the best place to grind.

I don't suppose there's a way I could face myself on PS4 & Vita at the same time unless I had two accounts?

How do people with no Puyo or Tetris experience even play this game haha?

I have LOTS of Puyo experience and a decent amount Tetris experience, and this game gets pretty hard at times. The final level in chapter 3 is destroying me.

Yeah, I remember being stuck on that for awhile, the one near the end of chapter 5 is much worse. I'm practicing T-spins so I can beat it, it's crazy.

It's better to just walk away for a bit and clear your head.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How the hell do I beat 3-10? The game turned distinctly not fun after trying for the 50th time.

How quickly and consistently can you get tetrises? Are you stacking cleanly and not leaving any holes buried in the middle of the field?

*is on world 7* Oh god, I can't 3-star anything anymore, I'll never hit 100%....

I don't suppose there's a way I could face myself on PS4 & Vita at the same time unless I had two accounts?

Learn how to do "active chains" and the Fusion mode levels become really easy to 3-star. It's the whole key to that game mode. While the "basics" of Fusion are complicated because it's literally combining both games, it's the easiest mode to improvise in once you know what you're doing, as the chaining rules are really flexible compared to the other game types.

I believe PS3/Vita has cross-play, but not PS4. The older versions of the game (3DS/Wiiu/Vita/PS3) actually had different game balance and are incompatible with the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch versions due to those gameplay differences. I don't think the old versions were ever patched.

S2

(Btw, your tutorial videos totally got me into PuyoPuyo.)
I love you

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but do we have a place to list our FC and the like for this game? I'd love to try and have some matches with fellow gaffers while I finish clearing everything else.
Since Nintendo dropped the ball with an actual invite system (lol) the folks in the English puyo discord find it a lot easier to set up matches with pingable discord roles. You can join the discord here: http://bit.ly/puyodiscord. There's a Google doc on there for sharing FCs too.

zulux21

so turns out I can't play puyo against my friends....
even 2 on 1 I still destroy them thanks to playing a lot of kirby's avalanch (and dr robotnik's mean bean machine) as a kid.

surprisingly I can also keep up with them 2 on 1 in tetris... though I think they won 3 games while I just won one complete round in that but they usually went to 3 rounds to get the game win.

lt519

So guys, how strong are the folks in your region?

New York is pretty solid, good mix of Puyo and Tetris players. But I don't have much faith in the ranking system. I've had quite a few 4000+ opponents disconnect after winning, I've never seen disconnects otherwise too, not sure how they handle that for scoring. But up until 3500+ where I'm at now I was basically uncontested. I'm 47-7 now and besides a couple Puyo losses early on the rest of my losses have been recently to 4000+ opponents and only twice in Tetris. I do only play versus. But under 3000 it seems like just pure volume of play will get you that high.

FdCkQRG.jpg

qfskbRm.jpg

m1QT3XF.jpg

I'm going to have to start going to double I strategies and t-spins if I want to progress much further. Really learning how much just combo-ing line clears one after another matters so much. Brute force Tetris isn't winning as much.

Edit: People also back out a ton when they see a similar ranked match, I don't get it, if anything I back out when I play people in the low 2000s just cause I know its gonna be ugly. Lol and on cue I lost to a Puyo player at 2200. Another 3900 Tetris player backed out after...so weird.

RedToad64

even 2 on 1 I still destroy them thanks to playing a lot of kirby's avalanch (and dr robotnik's mean bean machine) as a kid.

surprisingly I can also keep up with them 2 on 1 in tetris... though I think they won 3 games while I just won one complete round in that but they usually went to 3 rounds to get the game win.
Maybe try setting handicaps? Not exactly the best solution, but your friends would probably appreciate it.

lt519

Oh damn, playing the #92 worldwide right now, gonna get stomped...

edit: wow

Getting battered by 4500+ Puyo players in Japan right now, it's not even a contest.

Blog entry #3: Wow just beat a 5562, #362 worldwide Puyo player. I had a different strategy of trying to do double/triple lines rapidly in the beginning to throw off their gameplan (or get them to trigger their chains too early) all while positioning myself for 4 line clears. Gonna have to try that out more often.

jg4xchamp

I am so gutter trash at this game. Got this game tonight, went online at like 2 in the morning NY time, and proceeded to get my ass blasted by everyone playing this game.

What is life ;_;

Dominator

I'm in Chapter 3 now and I haven't lost any levels but I still feel like I'm playing Puyo Puyo wrong. Gonna look at some strategies on YouTube to try and improve.

Loving the game though, its fun as hell.

vanty

I'm in Chapter 3 now and I haven't lost any levels but I still feel like I'm playing Puyo Puyo wrong. Gonna look at some strategies on YouTube to try and improve.

Loving the game though, its fun as hell.
I've just started making groups of three with a forth above them and not really trying to set up any specific chains or anything and I'm getting 3, 4 or 5 chains pretty often now.

The stuff in the tutorials seems like fantasy land just from getting lucky with what puyos appear without even taking into account all the garbage that will drop down.

jonno394

I'm getting better at puyo puyo now. Managing to get a 3 or 4 link combo quite easily now, but only just started chapter 3 in story mode. I'm sure people keep mentioning 3-4 as a difficulty spike, should be fun!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On the US PSN?

I guess the "no digital" rule for the PS4 version applies for the demo as well, despite there being one for the PS3 (& I think PS4?) in Japan.

Edit: *plays against a rank 9000+ puyo puyo player who can get 10+ combos, instantly loses in under a minute*

OH JESUS CHRIST, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I FEARED WOULD HAPPEN WITH ONLINE

On the US PSN?

I guess the "no digital" rule for the PS4 version applies for the demo as well, despite there being one for the PS3 (& I think PS4?) in Japan.

Edit: *plays against a rank 9000+ puyo puyo player who can get 10+ combos, instantly loses in under a minute*

Laughed so hard at your post.

Tetris and Puyo2 masters are truly terrifying.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
5 wins out of 8 plays. Well, a bit better than what I was fearing & I'm halfway done with online, just need to find someone that isn't a puyo/tetris god to get a win. But I should try when more people are awake.

Also, I wasn't really getting the "ugh, the dub sucks" complaints, but then I tried some of the "alt" voices, and....now I understand. Schezo's alt voice does....not work or fit at all...

Dinjoralo

I'm seeing Puyo chains when my eyes are closed.

What have you done to me?

Also, I wasn't really getting the "ugh, the dub sucks" complaints, but then I tried some of the "alt" voices, and....now I understand. Schezo's alt voice does....not work or fit at all...
I mean, a bit of it was just a knee-jerk reaction to the english demo. I still think it's a step down from the original VA in a couple areas, but it's actually pretty solid.

I'm so trash at Puyo Puyo. I have years of Tetris experience and can easily three star Tetris stages but the Puyo Puyo ones take me forever and I always get 1 star.

This is my first Puyo Puyo game so Im still not totally clear on what the most effective and efficient strategy is with this game type

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Gotta say, this has instantly become THE office game. Hell, we went out and bought MK8D for the office, but barely touched it because everyone was too addicted to this. It's great because 90% of the population is at the same skill level of, "I've played Tetris on a gameboy or a phone before". Because of this equal footing and the universal appeal, we had a great spread of guys and gals, which is something that wouldn't have happened in say, MK8D where the guys have all played hours and hours of MK at 150cc already. Our favorite has been 2v2 swap mode since Puyo has been the wild card mode where anything goes and anyone can steal away a win because we're all bad at it and having teams adds a bit more drama to it all.

Considering that I was skeptical myself at how fun multiplayer Tetris could be, it was a lot of fun watching equally skeptical people come up to watch and then asking for a turn. Definitely would recommend this as a universal party game.

El Odio

Banned
On the US PSN?

Gah, all the hype surrounding this game up till launch still has me convinced it's just a switch game. Didn't consider there might not be a demo on the PS4.

iphys

You could add in a cpu teammate for them and up the ability on it if necessary, or do one-handed controls and you have to play as two players at once for added distraction.

sliceypete

loving this game so far, but i don't see any option to have two players (on the same console) play online... what a bummer. unless i missed something, anyone get it working?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Idk what it does, but there's a handicap setting too.

Top Bottom